List Mgmt. 2015 Trade/Draft/FA - SuperMegaUltraThread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not the best example really.

Swift wasn't 'down on confidence', he didn't want to be there. And he made a pretty ballsy decision to quit, and good on him.

You could make the argument that a lack of support from the fans or whoever made his decision easier but that misses the point - once a player has convinced themselves they want out, I think it can just be better for everyone to move on.

I see your pov but I don't think that not wanting to be there and being down on confidence are necessarily mutually exclusive. I think that being being down on confidence tends to lead to not enjoying the situation which in turn can lead to wanting to leave.

I don't think Selwood is playing bad because he wants to go to Geelong. I think it's more he's not feeling great about the way he is playing and is now thinking if he'd be happier elsewhere. I think the latter situation can be turned around pretty fast, unlike the former.

Age isn't an exact science and Hawthorn is a perfect example of that with Hodge, Mitchell, Lake, Burgoyne et.al playing unbelievably last year and this year. The worst thing would be to bring in maturity just because "our window is open" (see North Melbourne and Essendon).

We should target players that can fit our weaknesses, no matter what age and if none are available, stick with the draft. The goal is to have a wide open window, not one of those windows that only opens slightly every so often.

The goal is to win premierships. It's all well and good heading to the well each and every year but lets just look at our current best 22 shall we. Cripps, Kennedy, Ellis, Wellingham, Yeo all traded in. On top of that you have Priddis, Mcgovern and Sinclair having come from the rookie list. In essence what up until 3-4 years ago would have been second rounders don't mean very much in a poor draft year. We could quite easily completely bum out with our first rounder this year as well as an end of first round compo which is looking likely to be pick 23-25 and a second rounder which at that point is almost pick 40. If we could use those 3 picks on players that add to the side now with hopefully 2 guys who are best 22 and another guy close to it we'd be far better off than 3 rookies who could take 3,4,5 years to be best 22 or not make it at all.

Wilson or Ah chee for our third rounder i think is worthwhile.
Shake the s**t out of each and every clubs list to see if there are players our late first rounder and end of first round pick could be used to cover / replace guys like ellis, rosa, butler, selwood (will need replacing), hutchings, hill. Those are the guys on the edge of our best 22 as of right now and rosa, ellis and butler are all very injury prone it seems now, selwood is very likely leaving (which im happy about). Then we have waters having already retired and hopefully mcginnity out the door. Not a lot of midfield depth is there particularly when foot skills seem important to simmo and our playstyle.

Selwood has never had the skill. His strength was his tackling. B&Fs are really just a consistency award. Selwood polled well by getting 30+ disposals against a heap of bottom dweller teams that year. He didn't do anything outstanding. With Naitanui we already knew he could break games apart so its no real surprise now he is fit. He was one of the dominant ruckmen back in 2012.

True Selwood was never an elite player in the competition but his best (until this year) was quite a few notches above Sheppard and Masten in my opinion. But Simpson has done an excellent job getting the best of both those players and they've taken their game to new heights. I personally think Simpson can get a lot more out of Selwood, if he manages a full preseason. I think if Simpson does manage to extract the most out of Selwood, he has enough potential attributes to strengthen our team significantly.

Would love Ah Chee from Port and would love to draft his brother with our first pick. His bro is what we need up forward!!!

The goal is to win premierships. It's all well and good heading to the well each and every year but lets just look at our current best 22 shall we. Cripps, Kennedy, Ellis, Wellingham, Yeo all traded in. On top of that you have Priddis, Mcgovern and Sinclair having come from the rookie list. In essence what up until 3-4 years ago would have been second rounders don't mean very much in a poor draft year. We could quite easily completely bum out with our first rounder this year as well as an end of first round compo which is looking likely to be pick 23-25 and a second rounder which at that point is almost pick 40. If we could use those 3 picks on players that add to the side now with hopefully 2 guys who are best 22 and another guy close to it we'd be far better off than 3 rookies who could take 3,4,5 years to be best 22 or not make it at all.

Wilson or Ah chee for our third rounder i think is worthwhile.
Shake the s**t out of each and every clubs list to see if there are players our late first rounder and end of first round pick could be used to cover / replace guys like ellis, rosa, butler, selwood (will need replacing), hutchings, hill. Those are the guys on the edge of our best 22 as of right now and rosa, ellis and butler are all very injury prone it seems now, selwood is very likely leaving (which im happy about). Then we have waters having already retired and hopefully mcginnity out the door. Not a lot of midfield depth is there particularly when foot skills seem important to simmo and our playstyle.
I think you mistook my post. I was simply stating that we shouldn't trade in players for the sake of trading in to try and win a premiership next year. North and Essendon have tried that and failed. Hawthorn traded in over successive years to build a deep list that could eventually contend for premierships. From there, they have topped up every year to fill needs as players are getting older. An effective way of building and maintaining a list for a long period, which in turn increases your chances of winning a premiership.

In short, trade in players that we believe we need and that we can get. Otherwise head to the draft.

We don't need players that are not going to be best 22 at all so NO to both marsh's and ah chee .
The only players I can see being in best 22 now or in the future .
In order of preference .
Bennell 1st and selwood compo
Jetta - selwood compo
Yarran - selwood compo
Conca - 2nd
Wilson - 3rd
Matera 3rd

What do people think about trading Colledge either stand alone or with a pick?

Colledge is that dead set perfect example of a player on the fringe who is killing it in the seconds, gets a game when an injury occurs but just can't break into the side.

A ex 2nd round pick and good size HFF / on baller.

Was touting Colledge + our 2nd for Jetta but after last weeks booing debacle I'd be surprised Jetta would head the Eagles. Not sure if we need him in any case.

Colledge + our 1st for Bennell would be a dream trade. P Cripps wouldn't be bad either especially if Selwood leaves..........and we get a late first rounder as compo.:D

I don't think Gold Coast need anymore fringe players as they are still cutting their extended list down .
Lucas is also killing it in the wafl and he has zero currency .
McInnes is our only fringe player people would be interested in apart from our new draftees and lycett .
I would however be happy to trade josh hill . His currency would be at its highest and if we get a jetta , bennell and upgrade Newman we have cover . Collingwood were interested in hill a couple of years back and apart from Elliot don't have crumbing forwards .

Colledge is that dead set perfect example of a player on the fringe who is killing it in the seconds, gets a game when an injury occurs but just can't break into the side.

Colledge + our 1st for Bennell would be a dream trade. P Cripps wouldn't be bad either especially if Selwood leaves..........and we get a late first rounder as compo.:D
I like your slant on this one - however Patrick Cripps is seen as the poster boy for the new look Carlton and I expect the Blues would want way too much for him. The fact that Colledge has not even played this year reduces his currency big time. McInness has currency and may be an option since he played this year and showed he could make it.

People suggesting a first rounder for Jetta should uppercut themselves. Trade for good established talent or draft and after the last two drafts I'm more then happy to hang into first rounders

The pick we are talking about is likely to be around #20 (Selwood compo), slightly higher after PP picks if there are any. By definition it's a first rounder but it's hardly "upper cut yourself" territory.

You also have to take into account the value of this pick in a very shallow draft. If we manage to get him for our second we have screwed Sydney and done extremely well.

A ex 2nd round pick and good size HFF / on baller.

Was touting Colledge + our 2nd for Jetta but after last weeks booing debacle I'd be surprised Jetta would head the Eagles. Not sure if we need him in any case.

I think Colledge is an OK player but what you're really suggesting is just our first for Bennell.

Colledge has practically no trade value. Teams look at his sort when they can get them on the cheap - in other words such trades are very rarely perceived as advantageous to the 'selling' team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anybody else see the article in The West today about Jetta? Said his manager met with both the Eagles and Dockers this week, sounded pretty certain he wanted to come back to WA. Suggested Freo were in the best position at the moment (Sydney already inquired about possible trades). Seems first rounder probably won't be needed anyway, may just have to beat Freo's offer. Arguably the best midfield/half-forward/wing kick in the game, with extreme line-breaking pace to boot. Do want.

Anybody else see the article in The West today about Jetta? Said his manager met with both the Eagles and Dockers this week, sounded pretty certain he wanted to come back to WA. Suggested Freo were in the best position at the moment (Sydney already inquired about possible trades). Seems first rounder probably won't be needed anyway, may just have to beat Freo's offer. Arguably the best midfield/half-forward/wing kick in the game, with extreme line-breaking pace to boot. Do want.

Is that a joke?

Okay so i'm a bit green when it comes to draft rules so on but what we hoping for?

Bennell for first round + Selwood's compo pick
Yarran for second round + player?
Wilson....are we able to get him for our 3rd round pick?

Okay so i'm a bit green when it comes to draft rules so on but what we hoping for?

Bennell for first round + Selwood's compo pick
Yarran for second round + player?
Wilson....are we able to get him for our 3rd round pick?
Depends who you ask but that first one is the absolute dream for me.

Is that a joke?
Not a joke at all. Today's game against Adelaide is an excellent example. Sydney try extremely hard to get the ball in his hand at every opportunity because of how good a kick he is, as we do for Gaff. Difference is, Jetta is more accurate over 40m - 50m than Gaff who excels at shorter distances. If you don't think he is an excellent kick literally the only attribute you could say he was good at is he is quick, and there is no way you would want him in our side. You don't become an integral part of a premiership side because you run fast (even if it is really, really fast).

Depends who you ask but that first one is the absolute dream for me.

You and me both mate, prefer Bennell, Yarran >> Jetta for the basic reason of age and better output IMO.

I don't know much about Nathan Wilson but the consensus from the boards he would be a a good pick up.

I guess a better question would be what would it take for us to get Bennell, Yarran and Wilson then?

Not a joke at all. Today's game against Adelaide is an excellent example. Sydney try extremely hard to get the ball in his hand at every opportunity because of how good a kick he is, as we do for Gaff. Difference is, Jetta is more accurate over 40m - 50m than Gaff who excels at shorter distances. If you don't think he is an excellent kick literally the only attribute you could say he was good at is he is quick, and there is no way you would want him in our side. You don't become an integral part of a premiership side because you run fast (even if it is really, really fast).
Can I just add
Gaff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>jetta

If we can get Jetta in for one of our 1st rounders (assuming Scooter gone) then lets do it. Peeps here are saying that he won't be best 22 and only depth.

In 2015 we have had an amazing run of injuries and normally we would have 3 - 4 sitting out at any one time. To pick up someone of his standard, wanting to come back to WA, is a rarity.

It's just as well our recruiters have a bit more common sense and foresight than the majority of posters around here. If we don't get him and in 2016 we have a shocker run of injuries you can bet your life savings that the boards here will go into meltdown as to why we didn't get him when we had the chance.

Can I just add
Gaff>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>jetta
Why not both . Gif

Let's not kid ourselves, if we could get Jetta cheap he would be a huge IN.

I don't think he's worth a first rounder, but neither was Sharrod and he's certainly contributing.

Why not both . Gif

Let's not kid ourselves, if we could get Jetta cheap he would be a huge IN.

I don't think he's worth a first rounder, but neither was Sharrod and he's certainly contributing.

If Jetta was 25 next year I would do a first rounder, but is it really worth spending a first on a 27 year old with 3 years left in him?

Would rather we overpaid for a Yarran than Jetta, purely because he'll give us 3-4 years more service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back