List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Defenders still need to defend, and it's there he falls down currently.
That's the worst call ever. Jimmy sweat trait would be his defence (and that's factoring in his kicking).

Its not his fault the ball was coming in without pressure way to much from the mids, which means he was always going to concede goals but that doesn't mean he isn't a good defensive player, that logic is like saying hooker and Hurley are poor defenders because dons concede a ton

That's the worst call ever. Jimmy sweat trait would be his defence (and that's factoring in his kicking).

Its not his fault the ball was coming in without pressure way to much from the mids, which means he was always going to concede goals but that doesn't mean he isn't a good defensive player, that logic is like saying hooker and Hurley are poor defenders because dons concede a ton
His defensive work was poor last year.

Shouldn't you be off buying a Freo membership? :p

i actually agree with both of you in a way. JWebb makes some rookie mistakes still. He is a developing defender but isn't going to improve playing VFL. He needs real games pressure and speed to just get to that next level. I would put his ceiling very high but he's a long way from a lock in the best 22 on current output.

Tommy Wigs

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
New age rank after the drafts. Oldest to youngest.

1. North
2. Freo
3. Hawthorn
4. Geelong
5. Essendon
6. West Coast
7. Carlton
8. Adelaide
9. Collingwood
10. Port
11. Richmond
12. Bulldogs
13. Sydney
14. Melbourne
15. St Kilda
16. Gold Coast
17. GWS
18. Brisbane
Surprised by Carlton being that old. Sometimes a couple of 34yos really bump it up, but that's not the case.

SpInNeR

All Australian
Sep 18, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Liverpool, Avalanche
Defenders still need to defend, and it's there he falls down currently.
Not sure what game you're watching but Webster's defending is one of his strengths.

Seems like a case of ball watching and not recognising the hard work defenders do without the ball in hand. Funny though, Webster's pretty good on the spoil as well so not sure how it can be missed.

Not sure what game you're watching but Webster's defending is one of his strengths.

Seems like a case of ball watching and not recognising the hard work defenders do without the ball in hand. Funny though, Webster's pretty good on the spoil as well so not sure how it can be missed.
No need to try and be a smart arse. I was a defender, I'm well aware of what the job entails.

He's whole-hearted, and I love him for that, but he gets sucked up to the ball far too easily or goes full-throttle at the spoil when the smarter option would have been to watch his man instead.

My point is not whether he can defend or not - he's got his deficiencies at the moment, but he's only a kid - but that there are very few 'locks' on our list currently (and he's not one of them).

That's a GOOD thing. It means there is an even spread of talent and competition for spots.

North have got this year to contend before falling off the cliff. Theyre gonna fall hard as well.

Cant believe Carlton is still in the top 8 after shedding a third of their list.. thats just shocking.

Lol at Essendon indeed.

What makes you think norf will fall off in 2017?

Firrito..average foot soldier
Petrie..best footy 4 years ago
Boomer..is boomer and every club wishes they had a boomer.

Remove those 3 next year and there age average drops considerably.

They'll still have the games best ruckman by a mile, some gun on ballers and half backs.

Things change very quickly, fwiw i think they'll finish 6th-12th this year.

What makes you think norf will fall off in 2017?

Firrito..average foot soldier
Petrie..best footy 4 years ago
Boomer..is boomer and every club wishes they had a boomer.

Remove those 3 next year and there age average drops considerably.

They'll still have the games best ruckman by a mile, some gun on ballers and half backs.

Things change very quickly, fwiw i think they'll finish 6th-12th this year.
Because you've also named three of their best or most important players.

Because you've also named three of their best or most important players.

Firrito very replaceable
Petrie is good without being a star. Black and brown along with waite can cover drew
Boomer cannot be replaced but others will step up.

Firrito very replaceable
Petrie is good without being a star. Black and brown along with waite can cover drew
With respect tox, I don't agree with a lot of that, but that's for a different thread.

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
No need to try and be a smart arse. I was a defender, I'm well aware of what the job entails.

He's whole-hearted, and I love him for that, but he gets sucked up to the ball far too easily or goes full-throttle at the spoil when the smarter option would have been to watch his man instead.

My point is not whether he can defend or not - he's got his deficiencies at the moment, but he's only a kid - but that there are very few 'locks' on our list currently (and he's not one of them).

That's a GOOD thing. It means there is an even spread of talent and competition for spots.

IMHO Jimmy's main problems lie with the easy to do things that make up the very basics of being a defender particularly around set plays, ball ups, the ball coming from a set kick and slowly into the forward line, his opponent gets between him and the goal, he loses contact with his opponent too early in the contest/ before the ball gets there and he's too keen to be the third/fourth man up giving his direct opponent too much freedom.

In direct contrast to a young Dempster who was so disciplined, that he looked scared to release and back himself. Doesn't mean Jimmy doesn't have upside just means he isn't perfect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 5, 2013
Swifts Creek
AFL Club
St Kilda
maybe the drafting of White and Rice in particular mean the club feels the same way, with Savage and Roberton our medium defenders for the next few years are well covered, even when Dempster and Fisher retire.

saintscott

All Australian
Jun 2, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
[QUOTE="Moral Decay, post: drafting of White and Rice in particular mean the club feels the same way, with Savage and Roberton our medium defenders for the next few years are well covered, even when Dempster and Fisher retire.[/QUOTE]

both dempster and fisher are good intercept marks. the two draftees appear to have decent speed and good footskills but not sure they have similar marking attributes. rice is stupid courageous like dempster but only 6 1 from memory. white is taller but i am hopeful he becomes a tall wingman. I think we are still yet to draft a dempster and fisher replacement. lee could play a fisher role if he continues to improve, otherwise it is a next year draft - trade need imo along with a quality mid.

loving the look of the list though. it wasn't that long ago that I was excited about nathan wright and thought he was the future. now it looks like he will struggle to get a run. massive improvement across the board in a very shirt timeframe :)

Aug 25, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm, San Antonio Spurs
Jimmy Webster is a very good, but inconsistent defender, at this stage of his development IMHO.

He was torn apart by Betts in Adelaide, but slaughtered Cyril Rioli at Etihad.

As a bloke who's played only 4 seasons, he goes pretty well. Imagine how good he'll be in another 2-3 years

Jimmy Webster is a very good, but inconsistent defender, at this stage of his development IMHO.

He was torn apart by Betts in Adelaide, but slaughtered Cyril Rioli at Etihad.

As a bloke who's played only 4 seasons, he goes pretty well. Imagine how good he'll be in another 2-3 years

Individual defenders to me are interesting, very very few have the ability to influence an outcome on their own.
Webster is another example of this.
He could become part of a very good def,
Jake, goddard jnr, roberton etc.

Defence is a team game and with better 2way running midfielders the whole saints def can improve.
Till then the likes of Webster, Marley Williams etc will just be good solid footballers imo

Nov 10, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
Last year we got Jack Billings' mate in the rookie draft. This year we got Jade Gresham's mate, Nick O'Kearney.

This from "The Leader" news ...

One of the first people O’Kearney heard from after he was overlooked in Tuesday’s national draft was his former Old Paradians and now St Kilda teammate Jade Gresham ....

“We were talking the other day and he said that he couldn’t believe that I didn’t go in the national (draft),” O’Kearney said. “He said if there was anything, he just wanted me to get to the Saints.”

The midfield pair formed a successful partnership at this year’s Under-18 National Championships for Vic Metro, having also played school football together at Parade College.

“It will be good to join forces again with Gresh and just enjoy playing together whether it be at Sandringham or if we both get the opportunity in our (AFL) careers to play together,” O’Kearney said.

upload_2015-11-29_12-9-58.png

Last edited:

Murraj1966

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 13, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Last year we got Jack Billings' mate in the rookie draft. This year we got Jade Gresham's mate, Nick O'Kearney.

This from "The Leader" news ...

One of the first people O’Kearney heard from after he was overlooked in Tuesday’s national draft was his former Old Paradians and now St Kilda teammate Jade Gresham ....

“We were talking the other day and he said that he couldn’t believe that I didn’t go in the national (draft),” O’Kearney said. “He said if there was anything, he just wanted me to get to the Saints.”

The midfield pair formed a successful partnership at this year’s Under-18 National Championships for Vic Metro, having also played school football together at Parade College.

“It will be good to join forces again with Gresh and just enjoy playing together whether it be at Sandringham or if we both get the opportunity in our (AFL) careers to play together,” O’Kearney said.

ImageProxy.mvc

Doesn't sound like he's taking it for granted that he's on an AFL list. I'm really liking all these mates coming through together. Will form a strong club culture

sauce_head

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 24, 2006
AFL Club
St Kilda
Firrito very replaceable
Just tell some lucky young kid to run 80m ahead of the ball and to punch guys behind play in or approaching finals. But if they refuse to avoid the hard ball, I'm sure there are some retiring winter olympians who can kick a footy and put their down hill skiing skills to good use.

That should cover boomer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back