2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Herald Sun in todays paper states that Dixon's manager has confirmed the Brisbane Lions offer when approached yesterday, he didn't state what it was worth but the Herald Sun are sticking with $750,000 a year. No mention of length of contract. Nothing new there then.

If Stef wants out, is the belief that being the number one ruckman would be enough to keep Leuey?

Since we can match any offer for him.

I'd also think that with no Stef Leuey becomes more valuable for us and we'll have to increase our offer.

That's implying we get a choice. If he wants out, he wants out. Could lose him for basically nothing next year if we aren't pragmatic.

Yeah, assuming we are going to trade him, I think it's sensible to do so now rather than when he's out of contract.

If this is all true, then presumably there's one particular club out there making a big play for him. Although I'm scratching my head a little at who that would be. The Bulldogs would love him, I guess, but he's a little old for their profile. Essendon would surely be refocusing toward youth in the coming trade period. Sydney can't pay him what he's worth.

All the talk down here is that Carlisle wants to play for the Doggies. Not sure of how truthful it is but that's the talk.

Martin for Motlop? Or are the Cats getting stung in that one?

Cant see Geelong chasing Martin, they are no longer in a premiership window.

Yeah, assuming we are going to trade him, I think it's sensible to do so now rather than when he's out of contract.

If this is all true, then presumably there's one particular club out there making a big play for him. Although I'm scratching my head a little at who that would be. The Bulldogs would love him, I guess, but he's a little old for their profile. Essendon would surely be refocusing toward youth in the coming trade period. Sydney can't pay him what he's worth.
Yeah I'm wondering who would take him as well. The Bulldogs will play Roughead as their no. 1 ruck so I think they're unlikely, Essendon will want someone younger (and why would Stef want to go there anyway) and I see massive potential in a Rhys Stanley/Blicavs combination for the Cats, who have other priorities. He wants to go back to Victoria, so Sydney is out. Maybe Richmond? Really unsure where he'd go and I think some posters are being very optimistic hoping for a 1st rounder in return. This is an injury prone soon-to-be 29yo who can only influence the game significantly in one position, which isn't really a position of need for any Victorian teams imo.

Has to be Martin. He was our impact player that brought us home in the back half of last year.You have to think, beyond Merrett due to his injuries. Its conceivable he may rarely get on the park. We have a powerful case for the two first picks and if moving Berger on gets us an extra Academy kid, such as William, Buzza and co. he goes....how many games Might he play anyway. We should be aiming at Shak-attack, Weitering,Dixon and Motlop. NO Suckling...weak, as the proverbial...and 3 or 4 Academy kids. I am convinced Gardiner, Beasley McGrath, Close and Freeman will be in the mix come 2016.Close a CHB prospect. Aish will get us at least a very good academy kid. I think, we can make a massive move next season and play finals thereafter.
I agree with much of what you say however I can't accept that Leuy goes! He must stay as he is part of the dynamics of our loyal core. He will only get better and more resilient as he matures now and is integral to our midfield going forward. Trade Martin as he will get us more value anyway. I can definitely see us making a jump in the next 2 years if we play our cards right this pre season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How much would get aish over the line if he wanted out?
Maybe suckling though F/A give him enough for band 2 compo then we on trade it for aish.

You guys would have 1 or 2 (or both ) and 19, 20.
Should get you guys both academy kids and a top 2 pick.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

How much would get aish over the line if he wanted out?
Maybe suckling though F/A give him enough for band 2 compo then we on trade it for aish.

You guys would have 1 or 2 (or both ) and 19, 20.
Should get you guys both academy kids and a top 2 pick.

We're not going to do Hawthorn two favours by paying Suckling enough to get a band 2, and then also take that pick for Aish. Suckling isn't worth paying that much, and Aish is worth more trade wise. Only way I can see that happening is if Hawthorn overpays on the Aish trade in return for us paying Suckling more and netting a higher compensation pick.

We're not going to do Hawthorn two favours by paying Suckling enough to get a band 2, and then also take that pick for Aish. Suckling isn't worth paying that much, and Aish is worth more trade wise.
Fair enough. You guys need some picks though or should I say points, maybe we can help put there. I doubt we will delist anymore then then the required.
do you guys have any other young mids worth end of 1st?

And how much would get suckling over the line. I assume hawks would match anything around 350.

Played 60 games and subbed 12 of them (all through injury?). One in every five. Geez.
And how many has he missed altogether? Don't mind him at the right price, but the rumoured $750,000 especially over 5 years is way overs. $500,000 over 5 maybe but would prefer that amount over 3 and if that means we miss out on him so be it. His no good to us in the stands or in a sub vest.

If we do indeed lose one of Leuenberger or Martin, I'd be looking at bringing in a mature ruckman currently at another club and then another developing one.

Jake Spencer from Melbourne wouldn't be a bad option. Can perform well in the ruck and can rest forward which would make him ideal. Queenslander too.

Hawthorn? Might not be able to offer him the most money but can offer him a flag tilt.

Dixon for Stef or Leuey.

Suckling or Motlop for Aish.

Bring in either Schache or Weitering, Keays & Hipwood.

Not the worst outcome if it unfolds that way.

Considering Martin is 2 years older then Leuey, if he really wants to go then I'd rather keep Leuey.

If we do indeed lose one of Leuenberger or Martin, I'd be looking at bringing in a mature ruckman currently at another club and then another developing one.

Jake Spencer from Melbourne wouldn't be a bad option. Can perform well in the ruck and can rest forward which would make him ideal. Queenslander too.
Yeah, it's an interesting situation. If Martin chooses to leave and Leuey decides to take up an offer via FA, we might well become the first club to match a Restricted FA contract offer. I can't imagine the club will be keen for both Leuey and Martin to move on!

I would also very much be looking at what mature ruckmen options are available elsewhere too. GWS have Phillips, Lobb, Downie and Mumford - you would imagine one of those could be prised away for the right price. Having seen Rory Lobb play for my WAFL side Swan Districts I can tell you he will be well worth having

Dixon for Stef or Leuey.

Suckling or Motlop for Aish.

Bring in either Schache or Weitering, Keays & Hipwood.

Not the worst outcome if it unfolds that way.

Considering Martin is 2 years older then Leuey, if he really wants to go then I'd rather keep Leuey.

Yeah that wouldn't be too bad an off season really. Can't believe I am saying this but given our strength in the half forward area I would actually rather Suckling via FA rather than Motlop by trade

I move back and forth with my feelings with the loss of Luey or Martin or even both. If Luey was to somehow go so we got pick 2 then I would be ok with it however if Martin goes then I would like to see some mature players coming back for that. However where does it leave us ruck wise? We would have to trade for one into the club and I would think that if the club was to allow this to happen with the loss of both then it would be a long term view with the focus being more towards the youth of our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back