2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't think we need to go chasing anyone next year, and would prefer to develop our own talls rather than poach others. After the last few years it would be good to have a quiet FA/Trade period for a change, solidify our current list, and make it very clear to our young and established players that all the $ in our cap is for them.

Rocky/Redden/Rich/Luey will be due pay rises and deserve to top our cap priority. Last thing we would want is to spend a heap of cash chasing a big fwd and then get raided a year later.

If you look at the key forwards around the league there really is a shortage of really op line key forwards at the moment hence Boyd's massive price tag. After the few top line there are a fair few role players who are on the end of decent midfields

Adelaide: Walker
Carlton: only second tier forwards
Collingwood: Cloke
Dons: only second tier forwards, possibly
Fremantle: an ageing Pav
Geelong: Hawkins, Possibly Mitch
GC: Lynch, Day, Dixon
Giants: Patton, Cameron, then unknown McCartney
Hawks: Roughy and gunston plays his role given his size
Melbourne: Hogan is their big hope
Kangas: Petrie probably row below top tier then part players in Black and Tarrant although they brought in Waite this year so what does that say
Port: No real power forward more role players, get a lot of goals from Wingard and Gray and Monfries. Westhoff and Shulz are solid more than real power guys.
Richmond: Reiwoldt
Saints: Reiwoldt
Swans: Buddy, Tippett then a step down to Reid
WC: Kennedy and Darling
WB: Boyd now

Really there are a few extra role players here and there in teams but they're the main ones. If you look at that list the sides with the most are the suns and sydney so first step would be to look at either of them. If we can't get one of the main guys then I'm not convinced we should be looking for part players. Re Dixon I'm not sure whether he would leave given he's been there since the start but worth having a crack. Reid is probably the interesting one still next year given buddy and tippett are there and goodes is going round again. He could be very frustrated by this time next year and is probably still worth a crack.

For mine our forward line next year is largely linked to the contribution that the resting ruckman can make. Close will have natural progression but we need some contributions from the rucks. We also need to lock down that third tall role as well but I have hopes that McStay may be able to fill that long term. Perhaps Maguane shorter term will have something to offer there. I also think if Mayes goes back forward he will have plenty to offer in terms of goals, he's a good size and is a natural half forward flanker.

Spot on with the above.

Hopefully one or two of the key forward lads will come on.

Dunno about Close- has the size and the competitiveness but his kicking style needs a LOT of work. JB- step up to the plate here.
If he can sort this out he'll have earned his keep

McStay? Could well do the trick. Didn't really notice, but was he played forward all that much? Certainly seems to have the talent- if we'd let him go I'd have been very disappointed.

The other thing about having a KPF focus is, as we've seen only too well over the last few years with JB, that if he is closed down we can be in a world of pain without options- again, as we've demonstrated recently.

Wouldn't be counting on the 'Berger doing too much goal kicking as resting ruck. Not much evidence of this in his game to date. Martin a more realistic chance.

Agree that Mayes, having served his defensive apprenticeship, may have a burst out year. Very good kick on goal.

Dunno about Close- has the size and the competitiveness but his kicking style needs a LOT of work. JB- step up to the plate here.
If he can sort this out he'll have earned his keep

Definitely his style looks a little off, but he did kick pretty straight. His stats say 10.4 which would be padded by a few total misses, but all in all I wouldn't say he's a worryingly ineffective kick.

From what I have heard Andrews is the same as Freeman ie a natral foward but with a better engine.. I wouldnt be suprised if he develops into the big KPF.. He is 200cm and 91 kgs at 18.

Edit:
Although his name sounds largely back to front, Harris Andrews is a towering key position prospect whom the Lions are very bullish about internally in terms of what lies ahead.

Hiding away in the Queensland under 18 football in the NEAFL’s Northern Conference, Andrews slotted 80 goals over the course of 17 games as a bottom-age prospect in 2013.

With all this pre-paying of contracts the club finds itself in a unique position, something that could be very beneficial for the club in the long term, if they take full advantage of this opportunity.

We can't simply go out and throw money at Free Agents to fill both the cap space and prepaid contracts, or it will create a bottle neck when the majority of contracts are up for negotiations.

How would the club maximise its position by pre-paying ?
Our age profile will make for an interesting reading too, factoring in that we won't have any more Brown type players retiring on the back of big contracts, to help give salary relief in the future.

Beams and Hanley would be the best options to maximise return as they are committed to the club the longest.

From there does the club re-negotiate the contracts of Redden, Rich, Leuenberger etc and front load them on a long term deal . Which would push them into Free-Agency and potentially outside our top 25% paid, meaning they could be unrestricted FA when their next contract is up.

Or do we throw decent deals at Aish, Gardiner, Taylor, Mayes etc and hope that they buy into the Brisbane hype, and when they re-negotiate again its on favourable terms to the club as they got extra $$$ on their first contract. This could be a risky strategy, as other clubs might be offering overs to lure them, which would mean significant pay differences.

I remember talk of us going after Jack Darling in the future. A good player but not really the big key forward our side is lacking IMO.
Darling has the intimidation factor. Can kick goals, win games off his own boot and has shown good leadership. We need someone like that up forward. I just feel he'll come alive as the main forward, something he's not at WCE, with Kennedy getting 80% of the delivery every week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Walker wont leave Adelaide

Darling, Lynch (Suns), Tippett, Reiwoldt
Stuff Tippett, worked us over once wouldnt give him a second chance.

Reiwoldt the younger no.

Darling wouldnt solve the problem

I agree Walker wont leave Adelaide, where else can you wear a mullet and it be "on trend"

Lynch is the one, already up here, developing well.

Id probably stil take the general. I beleive this is his second knee reco and a big risk but I think he is the man.

Why would anyone want Tippet after he could have got here but refused. I for one don't want to see our club pump up his superannuation.

If you look at the key forwards around the league there really is a shortage of really op line key forwards at the moment hence Boyd's massive price tag. After the few top line there are a fair few role players who are on the end of decent midfields

Adelaide: Walker
Carlton: only second tier forwards
Collingwood: Cloke
Dons: only second tier forwards, possibly
Fremantle: an ageing Pav
Geelong: Hawkins, Possibly Mitch
GC: Lynch, Day, Dixon
Giants: Patton, Cameron, then unknown McCartney
Hawks: Roughy and gunston plays his role given his size
Melbourne: Hogan is their big hope
Kangas: Petrie probably row below top tier then part players in Black and Tarrant although they brought in Waite this year so what does that say
Port: No real power forward more role players, get a lot of goals from Wingard and Gray and Monfries. Westhoff and Shulz are solid more than real power guys.
Richmond: Reiwoldt
Saints: Reiwoldt
Swans: Buddy, Tippett then a step down to Reid
WC: Kennedy and Darling
WB: Boyd now

Really there are a few extra role players here and there in teams but they're the main ones. If you look at that list the sides with the most are the suns and sydney so first step would be to look at either of them. If we can't get one of the main guys then I'm not convinced we should be looking for part players. Re Dixon I'm not sure whether he would leave given he's been there since the start but worth having a crack. Reid is probably the interesting one still next year given buddy and tippett are there and goodes is going round again. He could be very frustrated by this time next year and is probably still worth a crack.

For mine our forward line next year is largely linked to the contribution that the resting ruckman can make. Close will have natural progression but we need some contributions from the rucks. We also need to lock down that third tall role as well but I have hopes that McStay may be able to fill that long term. Perhaps Maguane shorter term will have something to offer there. I also think if Mayes goes back forward he will have plenty to offer in terms of goals, he's a good size and is a natural half forward flanker.

Just find out who is managed by Pickering and start negotiations.
He has proved he is the one who can deliver his client, and keep negotiations under wraps.

Just find out who is managed by Pickering and start negotiations.
He has proved he is the one who can deliver his client, and keep negotiations under wraps.
and make big $$$ in the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back