2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mavlions1961

Club Legend
Jan 31, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
So who would offer Adcock 4-5 years at 600k+? I love the guy but he isn't worth anything near that at this point in his career.

If he did go I would imagine it would be another Patfull type trade. Looking after our elder statesman and their business interests.

Living with his in-laws is interesting though, we did just offer him another contract, lets say its a little less and he is just downsizing to cover off on his new earnings.

He does seem like a 1 club man though, love him to bits, damn shame he got drafted when he did.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Im backing jed to have a massive year. Seems to be playing abit more up the ground. And he has a point to prove after losing captaincy (which seemed he felt hard done by in the media announcement.) hope he has a cracking season.

Adcock would be an unrestricted free agent, I believe, so he might go somewhere without needing to get a big offer. There wouldn't be one on the cards anyway.

So chances are we'd get pretty low compensation for this 30 year old on slightly-above-average wages. Third round maybe? I think the Dogs got second round compo for Higgins, and we probably wouldn't get that much.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Maybe Jed has sold his place and is moving in with in-laws while his second even bigger and more permanent Brisbane mansion is being built or renovated in an even more "locals love it here" suburb.

winged1

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Well if his house has sold and he is moving in with inlaws that means (by my powers of deduction):

A) his inlaws live in qld
b) to move away means his wife and kids are away from the grandparents
c) interesting he wouldnt just rent
d) he must be a quiet maker of the love
e) he could be orchestrating a move ( ala patfull), keep in mind season has only 6 months to run, less if we dont make finals
f) he might feel the next generation is a couple of years away and he wont be in that push, therefore go to a club closer to "the window"
g) dont know what after footy career he is looking at but may be a factor.

Brettles

Debutant
Jan 22, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur
Leppa made some comments in the linked article below, while the Draft/FA is ages away it would seem that picking up a gun mature age recruit isn't going to happen unless it falls in our lap (like Bundy). Would be nice to have a first rounder to use on draft night again, we'll see.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-27/bundy-better-than-beams
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-27/bundy-better-than-beams

"We've probably got room for another big target, but whether there's one out there, that's the thing," he said.
"The decision is, do we develop one of our own or is the next guy we bring in going to be any better than the guys we can develop ourselves?"
"If there was a 50-50, I'd rather keep the kids we've got and develop them than bring in someone who's going to be no better.
"It would be unlikely we'd trade out our first pick [this year] because we just need to keep that steady flow of good talent coming in.
"Now that we've got maturity in the midfield, we just need to continue to grow that."

Kevvo

Premium Platinum
Oct 17, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
So he sells his home and moves into his inlaws to hopefully gain a larger pay packet at year end from the Lions? I'm not sure a small increase in wage is worth living a year with the inlaws TBH. He is now not only whipped by his wife but also her parents!!

Yeah, look, it seems implausible to me. I'd just feel sad if he were to push off in those circumstances and am trying to rationalize an alternative.

I have no problem with our senior guys looking after their lives post-game, and I thought the Patfull situation was handled well. That said, I get the feeling Jed was pretty unhappy about losing the captaincy and it would be disappointing if he left on acrimonious terms.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We'd be getting a fourth rounder for Jed but Jed plus Leuey compensation you'd hope would ensure us a first round pick.

We'd be getting a fourth rounder for Jed but Jed plus Leuey compensation you'd hope would ensure us a first round pick.

I'd much rather they both stay. Our team is already so inexperienced. We will still be able to bring in high quality talent without losing all our seniors. I think they're worth a lot more to us than one more kid.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now I'm not trolling or looking to upset anyone here but just out of curiosity what type of contract would Luey need to take for us to get a pick after our first round? Personally I'm not too sure about the Stefanburger combo and if he was to leave as a free agent I wouldn't be devastated. However I am just looking to ask a question to be informed that's all.

James North

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 18, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Now I'm not trolling or looking to upset anyone here but just out of curiosity what type of contract would Luey need to take for us to get a pick after our first round? Personally I'm not too sure about the Stefanburger combo and if he was to leave as a free agent I wouldn't be devastated. However I am just looking to ask a question to be informed that's all.

It's not a ridiculous question - I'm sure all of our free agents will face this at some point, but if this is your only reason, I think you should give it more than a couple of games before deciding that it may not work well.

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I think it would take a massive 4-5 year 2 mill offer that he probably won't get. Freo will need a ruck next year with sandi surely on his last long legs. Maybe he has a cracking year and does decide to leave. I'd be less disappointed with Luey leaving than aish leaving.

jjami15

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 16, 2011
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
He would be one of our top paid players at the club and his last contract IMO was kind of designed to fall so that he would be a FA which is smart and to look for a bigget payday either with us or someone else. It wouldn't have to be Freo but their history in getting FA isn't great either so they might pay that bit more tipping it into the highest area of compo.

He would be one of our top paid players at the club and his last contract IMO was kind of designed to fall so that he would be a FA which is smart and to look for a bigget payday either with us or someone else. It wouldn't have to be Freo but their history in getting FA isn't great either so they might pay that bit more tipping it into the highest area of compo.

It's all at the AFL's three man committee's discretion. Daisy and Goddard got 4 years for reputedly $625,000 and $800,000 a year each respectively and that was seemingly what it took to get Band 1 compo. Although last year Frawley's $2.2million 4 year contract was enough to get band 1. If he wasn't leaving the Demons, I'd be skeptical that would be enough but it's got to be precedent now. It would take a massive year from Leuie for another club to offer him a 4 year contract worth more than $2.2 million. If he has a year that does that then he's arguably worth more to us than the compo pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back