2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Adelaide were to finish top 4 and with the likelihood of Dangerfield leaving, does anyone reckon we would have a reasonable chance to get both of Adelaide's mid first round picks.

Last edited:

Wouldn't like to lose Luey especially if he wanted to stay. Yes I know he is low on form, but still IMO a better tap ruckman than Martin who even through his hot run last year struggled against the elite (ie Jacobs, Sandilands).

I have speculated in the past about what we would get for Luey as free agency compo and have always feared he might look to prolong his career elsewhere by getting away from the Gabba centre square. Not sure if the compo would be round 1 at this stage.

Wouldn't like to lose Luey especially if he wanted to stay. Yes I know he is low on form, but still IMO a better tap ruckman than Martin who even through his hot run last year struggled against the elite (ie Jacobs, Sandilands).

I have speculated in the past about what we would get for Luey as free agency compo and have always feared he might look to prolong his career elsewhere by getting away from the Gabba centre square. Not sure if the compo would be round 1 at this stage.

I think we owe him some loyalty as well given the loyalty he showed us by turning down some substantial offers from the expansion clubs a few years back.....

We sure do... bring it on!
Considering Rance is a free agent and the potential departures of the likes of Leuenberger and Aish the stars could really align in regards to the Lions having multiple trade assets and loads of cap space to lure 2-3 quality players.

For example the club could sign Rance as a free agent, trade our 1st rounder for a player like Henderson and use Aish to get Motlop. Sounds ridiculous and like some wacky off season pipe dream but it probably isn't as crazy and far fetched as it sounds. We currently have enough cap space to sign a player like Rance. The departure of a player like Leuenberger and the retirement of McGuane would cover Henderson's salary and we would still have some spare cash left over plus the money freed up from the departures/retirements of Aish, Staker and Maguire to sign Motlop.

Please note that my preference is for Leuy and Aish to remain at the club but there could be silver linings to their departures if they did decide to leave.

P.S. I am just pointing out how this type of scenario could unfold. I am not saying that it is likely to happen and no one should get their hopes up but it does provide hope that it will not be all doom and gloom should players like Leuy and Aish leave.

Considering Rance is a free agent and the potential departures of the likes of Leuenberger and Aish the stars could really align in regards to the Lions having multiple trade assets and loads of cap space to lure 2-3 quality players.

For example the club could sign Rance as a free agent, trade our 1st rounder for a player like Henderson and use Aish to get Motlop. Sounds ridiculous and like some wacky off season pipe dream but it probably isn't as crazy and far fetched as it sounds. We currently have enough cap space to sign a player like Rance. The departure of a player like Leuenberger and the retirement of McGuane would cover Henderson's salary and we would still have some spare cash left over plus the money freed up from the departures/retirements of Aish, Staker and Maguire to sign Motlop.

Please note that my preference is for Leuy and Aish to remain at the club but there could be silver linings to their departures if they did decide to leave.

P.S. I am just pointing out how this type of scenario could unfold. I am not saying that it is likely to happen and no one should get their hopes up but it does provide hope that it will not be all doom and gloom should players like Leuy and Aish leave.
Could you see Leuenberger going to Geelong Chris Scott loves him and they need a ruck man

I've been thinking about young key forwards that we have missed out on. I remember in the 2012 draft we picked paparone only to have a slew of key forward prospects go before our next pick. Has anyone tracked guys like Spencer White, Tim O'Brien or Mason Shaw? Watching St kilda ATM and it looks like there might be a bit of a logjam before White now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While while much of the above has been on elite KPP's, I wonder whether players like Schoenmakers, Butcher, and Vickery, all in their mid 20's, mightn't be of interest to us, provided the price is right. None are playing seniors at the moment, and would buy us time while our talls develop.

While while much of the above has been on elite KPP's, I wonder whether players like Schoenmakers, Butcher, and Vickery, all in their mid 20's, mightn't be of interest to us, provided the price is right. None are playing seniors at the moment, and would buy us time while our talls develop.

I guess this was the idea with Lisle, McGuane, Paine etc. Hard to get ones who can even play a role.

I guess this was the idea with Lisle, McGuane, Paine etc. Hard to get ones who can even play a role.
Perhaps a bit different?
Paine was the best we could do with Go Home Karnezis, McGuane was free agency? And we paid overs, around pick 30, for Lisle. (With some hindsight, of course.)
So, nothing better than 4th round for the 3 players I quoted.

We don't have a great history with this sort of thing. Nigel Lappin called Brennan "the most talented player he'd seen".

To be fair, I'd pay that. Just not the most applied player.

We don't have a great history with this sort of thing. Nigel Lappin called Brennan "the most talented player he'd seen".
Lappin must never have watched Jason Akermanis play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back