2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Lions have almost given up on drafting and developing their own talent".

Our entire current backline is drafted and developed here.

Our entire current forward line is drafted and developed here.

Rance will likely take over from Merrett who will call it quits in the next couple of years.

Dixon will bump one KPF back to the NEAFL (assuming no injuries) but that's still assuming all of Close, Freeman and McStay end up making it, which history says is unlikely.

Four players in our team on Sunday had played for another team. Seven players from Port had played for another team. Please hop on your own board and tell them how you've given up drafting and developing your own talent.
I was at the Gabba on Saturday and I can assure you the bloke wearing #12 (who spent quite a bit of time in the forward line) used to play for the Demons. Robinson and Christensen also spent a fair bit of time in the forward line. What about Staker? That's another KPP at your club that you didn't draft or develop that should be in the best 22, when fit.

I'm saying that putting off contract talks to prepare themselves for a crack at free agency is a sign that Brisbane is prioritising landing a big free agent over retaining their own players IMO. I think it's a good move.

Even if we land both of them - most of our tall talent is still from a recent draft, or in fact, from Queensland. The Lions have actually gambled to develop young players from up here rather than have them Polec off back home.
They gambled on Aish as well. The only reason he fell to the Lions at #7 was because other clubs feared he would walk out on them after his rookie contract was up. Gold Coast even had Aish live with GAJ for a week in 2013.

I was at the Gabba on Saturday and I can assure you the bloke wearing #12 (who spent quite a bit of time in the forward line) used to play for the Demons. Robinson and Christensen also spent a fair bit of time in the forward line. What about Staker? That's another KPP at your club that you didn't draft or develop that should be in the best 22, when fit.

Did you miss "Four players in our team on Sunday had played for another team." in mypost? You've named three. I'll even throw in Beams there as the last one. Who are Ryder, White, Ebert, Schulz, Monfries and Hombsch preventing development of?

If you're going to post on other teams' boards, you really need to stop and think about how what you're posting will come across. Lecturing teams on how they're not developing their own players because they are playing fewer non-homegrown players than the teams they're playing against is somewhere between misguided and downright illogical.

So many thread derailments could be avoided if posters could occasionally admit they made an ill-conceived post instead of digging in their heels to defend a position that isn't worth defending.

It is the right call by the club IMO. We have plenty of young talent on the list already and desperately need players in 23-26 age bracket who fit our needs. We are in the position that we can afford to trade away our first round picks for the right player.

It is the right call by the club IMO. We have plenty of young talent on the list already and desperately need players in 23-26 age bracket who fit our needs. We are in the position that we can afford to trade away our first round picks for the right player.

Leppa has said at least a couple of times publicly that we're unlikely to do this. Rance and Henderson are free agents, so we wouldn't have to give up a pick to get them.

I get the feeling that Tom Browne's report, if accurate, is being taken way out of context. I'd be highly surprised if we weren't eager to keep all three players. As BrizzyBandit said a couple of pages back:

If we truly have put talks on hold then I'm sure we're not stone walling them.

It would be more like:
We love you and will table you an offer. We just need a few things to resolve itself before we know the exact dollar amount and structure we can offer.

If we are trying to frontload a big contract to get Rance in (for example), we'd possibly want to back-end someone like Jed's to open up some space.

Did you miss "Four players in our team on Sunday had played for another team." in mypost? You've named three. I'll even throw in Beams there as the last one. Who are Ryder, White, Ebert, Schulz, Monfries and Hombsch preventing development of?

If you're going to post on other teams' boards, you really need to stop and think about how what you're posting will come across. Lecturing teams on how they're not developing their own players because they are playing fewer non-homegrown players than the teams they're playing against is somewhere between misguided and downright illogical.
Obviously I've offended quite a few Lions supporters by stating I think the Lions are prioritising free agency over player retention. You can't develop players if you don't retain them. It is what it is.

I say good on the Lions for drafting locals and having a serious crack at free agency :thumbsu:

If the situation was right id be happy to look at taking jack watts for a low draft pick via trade. 2 year contract - he has potential and out of the spotlight of Melbourne, playing with other young players at the Gabba - he could be a good pick up.

I know it's out there, and risky, but if he comes cheap, then he fits the age bracket, and once he is 28-29 and the pressure is off, who knows what player he might turn into.

If the situation was right id be happy to look at taking jack watts for a low draft pick via trade. 2 year contract - he has potential and out of the spotlight of Melbourne, playing with other young players at the Gabba - he could be a good pick up.

I know it's out there, and risky, but if he comes cheap, then he fits the age bracket, and once he is 28-29 and the pressure is off, who knows what player he might turn into.

Yeah too risky. Just not hard enough. Rather run at the draft. We've done well in the last 2 years at the draft table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

saw him live against the gc start of the year, did somethings which made you go...reallyyyyy? but then other times you go, jesus that was something special.

as either a half forward/halfback flanker or winger he would do a pretty good job with some moments of brilliance isnt the worst option

Yeah too risky. Just not hard enough. Rather run at the draft. We've done well in the last 2 years at the draft table.

Yeah I agree in essence but he has an incredible skill set. He has come up in arguably the toughest environment in the history of the AFL (neelds Dees etc) - but I suppose the softness element raises a real concern.

He's a VFL player he said so him self to Roos
which is a shame has talent but just doesn't work hard enough he'd only be another Brennan.

He's a VFL player he said so him self to Roos
which is a shame has talent but just doesn't work hard enough he'd only be another Brennan.

Yeah I accept it is a risk, but if we only used a 4th rounder and the contract was small - given his age profile suites the group, there may be enough upside 'potential' - I have seem him play some incredible footy in his time - it was this time last year people were saying he had finally 'turned the corner'.. It is a big risk for a lowley developing side if he doesent work out though

saw him live against the gc start of the year, did somethings which made you go...reallyyyyy? but then other times you go, jesus that was something special.

as either a half forward/halfback flanker or winger he would do a pretty good job with some moments of brilliance isnt the worst option
Yeah, nah.
288899-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Heard a report on SEN this afternoon that Dixon is close to signing a new contract with the Suns.:$
Heard that too,just to add it was from Andrew Browne and he seemed confident prefacing it with "Some good news for the Suns..."

God no, l would stay as far away from him as possible. Even if we got him for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back