2015 Trade/FA Discussion (cont. in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heard that too,just to add it was from Andrew Browne and he seemed confident prefacing it with "Some good news for the Suns..."

Damn.... If that's true then the field just got smaller.
I have a feeling we're going hard after Hawkins.

I mean if you could have any of the available talent who would you wish for?? I'd go Hawkins over any of the others... Even when he's out of form he takes two defenders. It would be McStay and Freeman heaven!!

Give him a million for 6 years and get this done. Might not last 6.... But I think it will take a big offer like that to land him.

Oh yeah.... Get Rance with the remaining 800k we probably still have in our cap.

BACKLINE - Physically scary, tall & highly skilled.
Andrews - Merrett - Clarke
Gardiner - Rance - Paparone

MIDS & FOLLOWERS - Every player is supreme
Taylor - DBeams - Hanley
Martin - Rockcliff - Redden

FORWARDS - Combo of size, speed, skill, & power.
Zorko - Hawkins - Rich
Green - McStay - Freeman

EXTENDED BENCH Lester, Mayes, Robertson, Robinson, McGrath, CBeams, Adcock.

Oooooohhhhhhhhh. Baby.

Last edited:
Going through that team then made me realise that if all fit.....We have a great list without bringing in any new big fish...

Swap Clarke for Rance slot either CBeams or Adcock in Clarkes spot....

Swap out Hawkins for Leuey....

Still an awesome list... Burton its up to you.... Gulp.

And yes It's 4:51am and I can't sleep... Sorry for the rant

Last edited:

If we get Dixon or another KPF that can spend a bit of time in the ruck as well that's pretty much the end of Leuey. Don't think he'll hang around waiting for Martin to get injured to get a senior game.

Think a call on Bergs will be made towards end of the year, by both parties. We might want to head to a more finals bound team and try get some success and take back his number 1 ruck position. If he does, than i wish him the best of luck. I just hope the club doesnt start to see him as excess... because he is still a quality player, and the chances of either Bergs or Martin playing a full year is slim.

We would need to bring in a genuine ruck/forward option if we lost Bergs.

Think a call on Bergs will be made towards end of the year, by both parties. We might want to head to a more finals bound team and try get some success and take back his number 1 ruck position. If he does, than i wish him the best of luck. I just hope the club doesnt start to see him as excess... because he is still a quality player, and the chances of either Bergs or Martin playing a full year is slim.

We would need to bring in a genuine ruck/forward option if we lost Bergs.
How are the WA teams going for rucks after their headliners? Nic Nat and Sandi dominate the #1 ruck position but are an injury away from weakening their teams it seems. Given Berger hails from the west he might fancy returning there, although I doubt he'd want to play 2nd fiddle to either.

Eagles won't be interested with NN, Lycett and Sinclair. Fremantle have Sandi, Clarke, Griffin, Hannath and Apeness so are well stocked as well. I think a team like Melbourne, Geelong, Carlton, Bulldogs, Swans and maybe Essendon would be interested. Those clubs have either older, injury prone or just poor first choice ruckman with no decent backups.

Leuey's options open up given he's a free agent and there are plenty of teams with cap space for a number 1 ruck. I don't see any advantage to us pushing him out unless we are confident of landing 2 or 3 big trades or free agents. If we had someone in our squad capable to play forward and give a chop-out in the ruck he'd be surplus to our requirements but he isn't yet.

I'd give the Talking Footy rumour about a 99.99% chance of being BS though.

If Leuy goes, who will he actually go to, to play as their no. 1 ruck? The only teams I can think of that would have a need for him to fill that role would be the Bulldogs and Melbourne. Not sure those options are that enticing tbh.

If Leuy goes, who will he actually go to, to play as their no. 1 ruck? The only teams I can think of that would have a need for him to fill that role would be the Bulldogs and Melbourne. Not sure those options are that enticing tbh.

I could see the Swans wanting him but doubt they could offer anything close to what we could contract wise. He'd have to be after immediate success but if he has faith in our group he can potentially be a number one ruck for a finals caliber team in a few years and still be relatively well paid and have a valuable role with us in the interim.

Freo?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As SizeMatters said they've already got a handy collection of rucks for the post Sandi period. Griffin has proven to be a more than capable number one ruck and although Leuie's best is probably better than his not sure it's enough to justify spending that much cash for a rather minimal upgrade. They do reputably have some cap space though but would think like us they'd rather spend it on a key forward.

Geelong would be my guess

Geelong have gone a different tack with their Rucks this year and its working out pretty well for them. Doubt they'd change back.

Carlton seem like a logical one with Kruezer having his issues there with injury and the rest of their rucks being pretty ordinary (yes Leuey's not the most reliable injury wise either). He's probably a year too early for the swans (from memory Tippets contract is up at the end of next year?). Melbourne are probably the other one as I would think Leuey would be an upgrade on their current stocks. Essendon could be looking for an upgrade from Bellchambers perhaps

Guess it will depend on whether he looks for cash or wants to have some success. The successful clubs don't really have a need in the ruck at the moment, while we're in as good a position to pay him well as any other club.

I tend to think he stays but you never know.

A little depends on the final ladder position, their most likely first round draft pick who was up here pre-season is a key position hackman and they won't risk first round draft pick. On the table to trade is Luenberger, Aish and possibly Merrit again. They will go after Rance from Richmond as a top line Backman who is a restricted free agent and well connected with Leppa. They will use one of the trades above to give Jack Watts a go at another club who is tipped to only be a second round draft pick. If Carlton go crazy with a new coach they will use Aish to bring back Locci Henderson who never should have gone for Fev anyway. Ideally they would like to raid Gold Coast but their key forwards are locked up and we have nothing they want.

A little depends on the final ladder position, their most likely first round draft pick who was up here pre-season is a key position hackman and they won't risk first round draft pick. On the table to trade is Luenberger, Aish and possibly Merrit again. They will go after Rance from Richmond as a top line Backman who is a restricted free agent and well connected with Leppa. They will use one of the trades above to give Jack Watts a go at another club who is tipped to only be a second round draft pick. If Carlton go crazy with a new coach they will use Aish to bring back Locci Henderson who never should have gone for Fev anyway. Ideally they would like to raid Gold Coast but their key forwards are locked up and we have nothing they want.

5m9vug.jpg

I could see the Swans wanting him but doubt they could offer anything close to what we could contract wise. He'd have to be after immediate success but if he has faith in our group he can potentially be a number one ruck for a finals caliber team in a few years and still be relatively well paid and have a valuable role with us in the interim.

I know that pre trade period last year there was some, at least preliminary discussion between us and Sydney about a Berger/Reid swap. Then the Bundy thing fell into our laps and things changed.

Not sure that same trade would occur this year as Reid has somewhat successfully changed roles- but Sydney was definitely interested

I know that pre trade period last year there was some, at least preliminary discussion between us and Sydney about a Berger/Reid swap. Then the Bundy thing fell into our laps and things changed.

Not sure that same trade would occur this year as Reid has somewhat successfully changed roles- but Sydney was definitely interested

Makes sense, he'd be a good fit for them and we would certainly have been open to Reid but don't know why the Bundy trade would have changed things. Unless Swans wanted whatever we got from the Patfull trade in addition to Leuie. Although Bundy had already flagged his intent to come to us before we trade Pats so would've thought we'd had that pick locked up in that trade well in advance.

Kinda understand why you posted that Panthera but responses like that is a primary reason why people don't bother contributing.

That said, when people can't spell our players names right their comments are half mute to me. ;)
The fact panthers used a silly photo of Jackie Chan suggests it was tongue in cheek and intended to raise a smile.... Not offend.

Last edited:
Interesting how the writer says "the Lions believe they trail Geelong for Henderson's services". Would've thought we'd be able to offer more money, especially if, as you'd predict, Dangerfield would be their number one target.

The Cats certainly aren't crying out for a tall like we are, with Taylor, Lonergan, Rivers, Clark & Hawkins up their sleeve... hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back