List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howe can take contested marks. Would be good to get one of them occasionally to complement our "kick it long and rove the pack" game plan.

Yes, but he he go up one-handed and tap it down to the front of the pack ?

Im all seriousness though he seems like a luxury item more than a need he would need to come cheap id think.

With Hawthorn like disp eff .

I'm a massive fan of workhorse midfielders, guaranteed every match you're going to get a defensive aspect in the contested side of the game, you add polish next to that and you're a good show to winning the midfield battle.....playing in an extremely avg side, he still has neat disposal.....at 189 cms he's an extremely tempting package.

Redden, would suckling and a second rounder get it done?
I reckon we could even get him in a straight swap given Redden wants out and taking Suckling via FA would likely cost Brisbane getting an excellent compensation pick for Luenberger.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And all the straight swap talk with Suckling is pretty moot with him being an unrestricted FA I would have thought.
ordinarily yes, but not when you take into account the lions likely compensation for Leuenberger, and what effect taking Suckling as a UFA will have. This may force their hand to trade.

i.e. give a 2nd rounder to hawks for suckling, no effect on leuenberger compo for FA, get pick 3 as compo....
or
take suckling as FA, lose Leunberger, and get a 2nd rounder compo.

if i'm lions, im trading for suckling, or asking to get him through PSD

He basically plays like Sheils but is a worse kick and slower. Does not play tall. Am very surprised he is listed as 189cm. Really not the kind of player we want I expect.

He might be slower than Sheils but I would say his kicking is on par, from what I have seen there is nothing wrong with his kicking to be honest, not elite but perfectly acceptable.

I have not seen much of him this year so maybe he has dropped off in that regard but he has been playing injured and is in the worst team going around, pressure can make even the best of kicks look ordinary at times, I'd suggest his kicking would be fine in a strong team.

I personally think he would be a good pick up if you can get him cheap, in 2012 he was on the way to being a very good midfielder, not A grade but solid B+ and very reliable.

And all the straight swap talk with Suckling is pretty moot with him being an unrestricted FA I would have thought.
It's not moot because if Brisbane take him as a free agent then it will reduce their compensation for Luenberger which could be as high as pick 2. It's in their best interest to acquire him through a trade and as long as Suckling still gets the same contract then he has nothing to lose. If it means they have to give up a player that wants out anyway then that is certainly worth the difference between pick 2 and pick 20.

Has he said this or?
Who knows, maybe just gossip, it was in AFL:

Eagles preferred destination for want-away Lion
Peter Ryan and Nick Bowen September 2, 2015 10:12 A
392795-tlsnewsportrait.jpg

Jack Redden wants a trade from the Brisbane Lions

RELATED
WEST Coast is believed to be the preferred destination for 24-year-old Brisbane Lions midfielder Jack Redden after he told the club on Tuesday he wanted to seek a trade despite a year remaining on his contract.

The consistent midfielder has also attracted preliminary interest from several Victorian clubs, and Adelaide is understood to be also monitoring the South Australian.

Redden, in his seventh season at the Lions, is set to become a free agent at the end of 2016 and the Lions may decide to trade him, despite list manager Peter Schwab insisting on AFL.com.au's Road to the Draft on Tuesday that he was a required player.

"We'll try to talk to Jack and see if we can change his mind, but if we can't and that doesn't happen then that gets the ball rolling and we'll see what happens," Schwab said.

With vice-captain Scott Selwood still unsigned, the Eagles may consider Redden an automatic replacement if the restricted free agent decides he wants to join his brother Joel at Geelong.

Redden has played 129 games for the Lions and has twice been placed third in the club's best and fairest.

It has been an eventful fortnight for the Lions as it moved to dampen down reports that questioned captain Tom Rockliff's leadership style and tried to contain the fallout from their decision to not renew former skipper Jed Adcock's contract.

The club's first-round pick from the 2013 NAB AFL Draft, James Aish, is also expected to depart at year's end, while free agent Matthew Leuenberger has also attracted interest from several clubs, including the Sydney Swans, who are fighting to have their trading ban overturned.

There have also been departures from the football department including football manager Dean Warren, fitness coach Brett Burton and wellbeing manager Manny Lynch, as coach Justin Leppitsch moves to build an off-field team around him with the backing of board member and former coach Leigh Matthews and CEO Greg Swann.

Former skill development manager Matthew Francis has been appointed as football manager and there have been reports that Greater Western Sydney's player wellbeing manager Craig Lambert will rejoin his former club in the role in 2016.

There have also been positives, with the Lions announcing last week that they had re-signed promising tall Harris Andrews until the end of 2018 and defender Ryan Harwood until the end of 2017.

They also have promising Academy prospects Ben Keays and Eric Hipwood emerging and are likely to have the first selection in the 2015 NAB AFL Draft to be held in Adelaide in November.

He might be slower than Sheils but I would say his kicking is on par, from what I have seen there is nothing wrong with his kicking to be honest, not elite but perfectly acceptable.

I have not seen much of him this year so maybe he has dropped off in that regard but he has been playing injured and is in the worst team going around, pressure can make even the best of kicks look ordinary at times, I'd suggest his kicking would be fine in a strong team.

I personally think he would be a good pick up if you can get him cheap, in 2012 he was on the way to being a very good midfielder, not A grade but solid B+ and very reliable.
I have watched at least half the games he has played. His best attribute is his tackling. He is a good ball winner but cannot breakaway from packs and is not a good kick compared to any of our current mids. What hawthorn actually needs is a quick mid with good foot skills that can breakaway from stoppages. We won't get him cheap and based on the content of this thread he is going to west coast anyway.

In Langford, Shiels, Hill, Hartung, Anderson... I think we have enough players that are likely going to reach a ceiling at B grade.

Redden isn't the answer for me.

We really need to get a <25 years old A grader into the team.
Harley Bennell would be my no.1 priority

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back