List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Free agency and draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to burst the bubble....The Age this morning reporting that Sloane is on the verge of signing a new deal at Adelaide which is now imminent.:(

I am not sure why Sloane's name keeps coming up . His parents moved over there not long ago. I have always been skeptical but the club would be negligent not to inquire.

Sloanes girlfriend is from Victoria

That boys, is what we call emotional leverage. Thank god Victoria keeps producing quality WAGS ;)

But geez, if we were lucky enough to pull off a Sloane shift, I would lose it. I love how he plays the game, just has such a high work rate and quality disposal use. At 25, he would be within the perfect age bracket for us to continue to be right up in the mix for another 6-8 years.

Please. Please make it happen Wright and co.

On an aside, if we do pull a big name out of the hat this year, I imagine AFL media and other supporters alike to lose their s**t. No doubt, there would be HUGE pressure on the AFL to reform free agency if we picked a top pick for cheap two years running (Seeing as we got Frawley for nothing).

Channel 7 just reported the Hawks are chasing Sloane.....

It's obvious that his agent has put the story out there to squeeze the maximum offer out of Adelaide

"Hawthorn is chasing player X" is the means to a great offer!

Channel 7 just reported the Hawks are chasing Sloane....

53239-jerry-seinfeld-Im-out-gif-0qdn.gif

That boys, is what we call emotional leverage. Thank god Victoria keeps producing quality WAGS ;)

But geez, if we were lucky enough to pull off a Sloane shift, I would lose it. I love how he plays the game, just has such a high work rate and quality disposal use. At 25, he would be within the perfect age bracket for us to continue to be right up in the mix for another 6-8 years.

Please. Please make it happen Wright and co.

On an aside, if we do pull a big name out of the hat this year, I imagine AFL media and other supporters alike to lose their s**t. No doubt, there would be HUGE pressure on the AFL to reform free agency if we picked a top pick for cheap two years running (Seeing as we got Frawley for nothing).

Those that whinge about us hopefully bringing in another star at the end of the season will be quick to forget that we have potentially just freed up somewhere in the vicinity of $700k-$1m(?) in salary cap space with Hale and Lake retiring(?) and possibly Suckling leaving as a free agent(? - but hopefully not I say). Don't forget the changes to the salary cap:

SALARY CAP

Was: Guaranteed 3 per cent increase built into the collective bargaining agreement.

Will be: Increase TPP by an additional $150,000 per club in 2015 and in 2016 above already contracted amounts:
‒ 2015: increase from $9.92m to $10.07m (+$150,000)
‒ 2016: increase from $10.22m to 10.37m (+$150,000)

TPP increases to be self-funded by larger clubs and supported by increased revenue sharing for smaller clubs

Those that whinge about us hopefully bringing in another star at the end of the season will be quick to forget that we have potentially just freed up somewhere in the vicinity of $700k-$1m(?) in salary cap space with Hale and Lake retiring(?) and possibly Suckling leaving as a free agent(? - but hopefully not I say). Don't forget the changes to the salary cap:

SALARY CAP

Was: Guaranteed 3 per cent increase built into the collective bargaining agreement.

Will be: Increase TPP by an additional $150,000 per club in 2015 and in 2016 above already contracted amounts:

TPP increases to be self-funded by larger clubs and supported by increased revenue sharing for smaller clubs
There's also the relatively likely potential for a sharp increase in salary caps across the competition when the new media rights deal arrives post-2016. Deals like Franklin and Boyd's rely on a significant rise in the caps to make what are considered unreasonable and risky contracts at the moment appear to be bargains in the future. Offering a player like Sloane a 5 year deal that sees him getting $1M/year in the last few years of the deal could be the equivalent of $600-700k deal in 2017+ (that's not to say those $$ values in the Aus economy are going to be equivalent but in terms of footballing contracts the % of the clubs TPP will be equivalent).

SALARY CAP

Don't forget the salary we save on whoever is traded out to accomodate GWS or Crows or whoever else!
We ain't potentially getting guys like Shiel, Sloane etc for draft picks!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still think there is a medium to high chance they will fall off a bit towards the end of the season, for two reasons:
- (1) Young team: Young teams, even with players who have had 2-3 pre-seasons, still fall off towards the end [See Gold Coast last year]. Owing to their good start, they may rest players. But they still will likely fall off, as they have in previous seasons. I don't expect them to keep this up for the whole year. Tags later on in the season on Griffen will be telling, as he will need to carry more of the load.
- (2) Opponents Left: Look at who GWS have mainly played [StK, Melb, Carl] + [losses to Syd, WCE]. They did beat us and Adelaide, but I honestly don't rate ADE that highly, and we played very poorly. They still have some big teams to face and they are going to hit big hurdles against Freo and co. Their streak wont continue.

It's kinda the same reason why I think WCE are overrated by the media atm. Both GWS and moreso WCE, have had a pretty easy start to the season. Don't get me wrong, the Giants beating us and Adelaide show that they are growing quickly into a very solid side. But their draw has been far easier than say Port or even ours to an extent. It's a very even season, so I don't expect any side to continue a long winning streak, especially young teams.

We gotta play Carlton, Dees, St Kilda and Gold Coast again though. At home. If we win those like we should...

Seriously, under-rating the recruitment of Burgoyne, here.

I watched him closely last weekend against the Swans and was left thinking "wow....are we allowed to clone yet?". He is brilliant offensively but also a defensive machine. The way he tackles, bumps, blocks and creates play is somehow so underrated it's not funny.

Gunston may become a champion but Burgoyne leads the pack of outside recruits we have brought into the club by a hell of a long way. How often is he in our best in big games...more often than not.

Not a bad idea - we need someone at Box Hill to boo now that Schoey is in the ones and Grimley has either grown a pair or found one online.

Ah yes....Grimley's contract is coming up for expiry....Must be time to pull the oldcfinger out & feign a resemblance of a serious footballer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back