2015 Trade Hypotheticals (Opposition supporters post here)

Remove this Banner Ad

So Jack Redden huh, whatever club he nominates I don't think you're getting their first rounder for him as much as you put the 1st rounder or gtfo banner up... Dangerfield, Treloar, hell even Bennell are the only type of players that get an automatic 1st round pick this year. Was a bad year for him to have a injury riddled season as people have just quickly forgotten what a good player he can be and considering the current state of play I feel a 2nd rounder + mediocre player is all clubs are going to offer, so that's the play keep him there or the best he's gonna net you is a 2nd rounder no matter how much huff & puff.

Like with all of these hypotheticals I'm sure I've screwed your club but I still think in the current climate with deadlines to be met & other deals to be made it's not the most unrealistic thing seen in this thread...

Adelaide:

Lose: Pick #13, Kerridge, 2nd Round pick
Gain: (Geel) Pick #9 + future picks, Redden, Menzel, (Carl) 4th Round pick

Brisbane:

Lose: Redden, 3rd Round pick
Gain: Bell, (Adel) 2nd Round pick, Jansen

Carlton:

Lose: Menzel, Bell, 4th Round pick
Gain: (Adel) Pick #13, Kerridge, (Bris) 3rd Round pick

Geelong:

Lose: Pick #9 + future picks, Jansen
Gain: Dangerfield
Sorry to burst your bubble champ but he is contracted and we will get a first rounder or just take the compo next year.
Other than that nice post- plenty of effort

What would you guys want in a trade for Darcy Gardiner serious question
More importantly what do you guys expect for Hawkins? He is getting a bit long in the tooth... I think an end of second rounder would be around the mark.
Serious question

More importantly what do you guys expect for Hawkins? He is getting a bit long in the tooth... I think an end of second rounder would be around the mark.
Serious question
Yeah he is and since we gift you guys a bit Beams and 2nd rd would cover it

One of the most ridiculous trade proposals I've seen and I've seen plenty of UTG and Collingwood supporters. Even if it was 2 first rounders, we wouldn't do that trade.
Ah, he did it to try and get a reaction off us for their board.

Next year's first round pick plus Jansen for......... Taylor? Happy to give that a try. :p

I am so sick of opposition supporters, especially ignorant Vics trying to rip us off because we are a northern state having issues retaining.

Trip, you know it's a hypothetical trade thread? None of these are likely to happen so I can't understand how you'd be ripped off.

I read this thread because it can give me a better understanding of possible trades from teams. I know a lot of them are unrealistic, but there are a few gems in there.

Just skip/ignore the wild ones.

Just wondering what you guys think of the following (working your club into the PD trade). I'm in no way trying to be disrespectful to your club, I feel for all of you after what you've been through in recent years (believe me, I speak from experience but not to the extent you've all been through it) but given Redden wants out, and I have it on good authority we are up to our necks in him coming over, I've come up with a possible trade that seems amicable for all parties involved:

With the likelihood of Jansen finding his way to the Gabba and Adelaide’s strong interest in Jack Redden, if Matthew Wright - uncontracted, 26yrs old next year, 94 games - proven midfielder when played there predominantly (see 2012) but has since struggled to get anywhere near the midfield with the Crouch Brothers coming on especially, not to mention our existing midfield stocks - decides he wouldn’t mind soaking up the rays in Brissy (who were after him a couple of years back) he in turn could go straight there as a means of satisfying list spots without Brissy having to take a god awful punt late in the draft on an unknown. If it means Redden’s passage to Adelaide is made smoother by all means, we'll try to make it happen.

Brisbane will want a 1st rounder for one of their most consistent and admirable performers of the last 6 years, and rightly so. I would be more than happy to sacrifice our existing 1st rounder (~pick 13) this year for his services, ensuring we trump any offer West Coast can take to Brissy. Leaving us with pick 9 in the first round and you guys with possibly four selections (dependent on Leuey's compo) inside the first 22 or so picks.

Brisbane may offer to send a player back in the Jansen deal but that scenario is even more doubtful given….

a) I can’t see who Geelong would want from Brisbane in such a scenario - the only names I can think of at a stretch would be Billy Evans or Zac O’Brien (but both are rookie listed AFAIK) or former AIS/Vic Country rep Jaden McGrath, I would have said Paine but I prefer not to be laughed out of town entirely.

b) Brisbane are set to have about 8 list changes themselves this season with their possible outs so are in a precarious position list-wise also.

c) Any late round pick Brisbane offer Geelong would likely net a better player Brisbane can offer in return for Jansen anyway, again, no disrespect - it's more the state of your list and who has abandoned the club :(

In this case, I would expect a three way deal to look something like the following (players named in brackets may be surplus to requirements of a deal being met for PD unless an AFC player goes the way of Geelong or Brisbane, OR Adelaide decide 2 x first rounders is satisfactory compensation for PD):

Adelaide

In: GFC 2015 1st rd (~9) + GFC 2016 1st rd (+ Jordan Murdoch?) + Jack Redden

Out: Patrick Dangerfield + 1st rd (~13) (+ Matthew Wright?)

Geelong

In: Patrick Dangerfield + BBFFC 4th rd (~60)

Out: 2015 1st rd (~9) + 2016 1st rd (+ Jordan Murdoch?) + Jarred Jansen

Brisbane

In: AFC 1st rd (~13) + Jarred Jansen (+ Matthew Wright?)

Out: Jack Redden + 4th rd (~60)

Obviously for Geelong, if Brisbane's 4th rd pick for Jansen isn't satisfactory there could be an upgrade of picks between rounds 3 and 4, but I doubt Brissy will want to part with any picks inside the first three rounds given points needed for Academy selections. That may change however with other deals taking place. For the purpose of this scenario, I've used your early 4th rounder as the means to get Jansen up there.

Any Geelong fans wanting to pipe in and suggest they are getting screwed in this deal, have a good hard look at the first player named in your “In” column and realise what it costs to get a player of that calibre in ANY trade scenario.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats just 3 trades rolled into one.
Jansen > pick 60
Dangerfield > 2015/16 First Rounders + ?
Redden > Pick 13 + Wright? (Pretty solid deal for us)

From my perspective, the academy should be factored in to any potential Trades, especially if we plan on taking that pick to the draft.
Pick 10-20 will really fall into No mans land for us, most would expect a bid before 13 on Keayes or Hipwood (considering that Hooper, Mills and potentially Kennedy will push it back further too)

Essentially that would see us taking
Pick 13 > Keayes
Pick 21 > Hipwood
Pick 22 (lefts compo) becomes the pick that is available by Redden Leaving.

Jansen > pick 60

From my perspective, the academy should be factored in to any potential Trades, especially if we plan on taking that pick to the draft.
Pick 10-20 will really fall into No mans land for us, most would expect a bid before 13 on Keayes or Hipwood (considering that Hooper, Mills and potentially Kennedy will push it back further too)

Pick 13 > Keayes
Pick 21 > Hipwood

I was going to suggest we could possibly ask for an early 5th round pick in return for Wright to satisfy other deals, as that pick is basically a late 4th rounder (~78).

How does it fall into no mans land if it satisfies the points needed to net those players, besides the fact you'll likely have four inside the first 22 or so? Not sure I'm understanding. Are you basicallly suggesting you're going to need more top 10 picks, and expecting to lose quality to net those academy players? Surely there's a point where you say enough is enough? Or is my line of thinking way off (It's been a long week)?

Jansen > pick 60

Pick 13 > Keayes
Pick 21 > Hipwood

Sorry I re-read that, I get it. But we're already satisfying your needs for filling list spots with Wright going over for basically nothing. And yes that's true but we're still handing over Pick 13... Which is more than fair for Redden is it not?

What would you expect in return? Two first rounders?

Sorry I re-read that, I get it. But we're already satisfying your needs for filling list spots with Wright going over for basically nothing. And yes that's true but we're still handing over Pick 13... Which is more than fair for Redden is it not?

13 seems fair for Redden. I also don't get the reference to pick 13 being in no-man's land. Pick 13 is good points for academy bidding, and if no club nominates Keayes/Hipwood before 13 then we take the best player available with that pick and use later picks for these players. As discussed in other the draft threads, if we have our eyes on no other players than these 2 academy prospects we can always repackage pick 13 for multiple picks later in the draft. Points are points, it doesn't matter how late in the draft.

By no means expecting 2 first rounders, pick 13 is at the very top end of what we can expect for Redden.

The academy is a unique situation for us, and I was just pointing out that it will change the value of picks to us if we take them to the draft, both positively and negatively. Any picks after 10, will most likely be used on Keayes or Hipwood in lieu of our second rounder, just trying to put perspective on the type of draft pick it actually means to us.

I think if we were to get pick 13, we should look at packaging it up to move up the draft (to get another top end talent, and avoid being forced to use it on an academy member) or downgrading it for a pick+ player (Bell and Carlton second as an example)

Last edited:
Pretty sure GC would want something better than 39 for Zac Smith.
I'm sure Gold Coast would want more, but Smith is out of contract, only played 10 games this year, we have pick 2 in the PSD and we learnt from the go home 5, you don't always get what you want in terms of compensation.

Last edited:
Just wondering what you guys think of the following (working your club into the PD trade). I'm in no way trying to be disrespectful to your club, I feel for all of you after what you've been through in recent years (believe me, I speak from experience but not to the extent you've all been through it) but given Redden wants out, and I have it on good authority we are up to our necks in him coming over, I've come up with a possible trade that seems amicable for all parties involved:

With the likelihood of Jansen finding his way to the Gabba and Adelaide’s strong interest in Jack Redden, if Matthew Wright - uncontracted, 26yrs old next year, 94 games - proven midfielder when played there predominantly (see 2012) but has since struggled to get anywhere near the midfield with the Crouch Brothers coming on especially, not to mention our existing midfield stocks - decides he wouldn’t mind soaking up the rays in Brissy (who were after him a couple of years back) he in turn could go straight there as a means of satisfying list spots without Brissy having to take a god awful punt late in the draft on an unknown. If it means Redden’s passage to Adelaide is made smoother by all means, we'll try to make it happen.

Brisbane will want a 1st rounder for one of their most consistent and admirable performers of the last 6 years, and rightly so. I would be more than happy to sacrifice our existing 1st rounder (~pick 13) this year for his services, ensuring we trump any offer West Coast can take to Brissy. Leaving us with pick 9 in the first round and you guys with possibly four selections (dependent on Leuey's compo) inside the first 22 or so picks.

Brisbane may offer to send a player back in the Jansen deal but that scenario is even more doubtful given….

a) I can’t see who Geelong would want from Brisbane in such a scenario - the only names I can think of at a stretch would be Billy Evans or Zac O’Brien (but both are rookie listed AFAIK) or former AIS/Vic Country rep Jaden McGrath, I would have said Paine but I prefer not to be laughed out of town entirely.

b) Brisbane are set to have about 8 list changes themselves this season with their possible outs so are in a precarious position list-wise also.

c) Any late round pick Brisbane offer Geelong would likely net a better player Brisbane can offer in return for Jansen anyway, again, no disrespect - it's more the state of your list and who has abandoned the club :(

In this case, I would expect a three way deal to look something like the following (players named in brackets may be surplus to requirements of a deal being met for PD unless an AFC player goes the way of Geelong or Brisbane, OR Adelaide decide 2 x first rounders is satisfactory compensation for PD):

Adelaide

In: GFC 2015 1st rd (~9) + GFC 2016 1st rd (+ Jordan Murdoch?) + Jack Redden

Out: Patrick Dangerfield + 1st rd (~13) (+ Matthew Wright?)

Geelong

In: Patrick Dangerfield + BBFFC 4th rd (~60)

Out: 2015 1st rd (~9) + 2016 1st rd (+ Jordan Murdoch?) + Jarred Jansen

Brisbane

In: AFC 1st rd (~13) + Jarred Jansen (+ Matthew Wright?)

Out: Jack Redden + 4th rd (~60)

Obviously for Geelong, if Brisbane's 4th rd pick for Jansen isn't satisfactory there could be an upgrade of picks between rounds 3 and 4, but I doubt Brissy will want to part with any picks inside the first three rounds given points needed for Academy selections. That may change however with other deals taking place. For the purpose of this scenario, I've used your early 4th rounder as the means to get Jansen up there.

Any Geelong fans wanting to pipe in and suggest they are getting screwed in this deal, have a good hard look at the first player named in your “In” column and realise what it costs to get a player of that calibre in ANY trade scenario.
I think with Danger you'll get their first rounders for the next two drafts and give something back to them later in the draft.

I don't think Redden is a great fit for the Crows. You have quite a few tough onballers to 'replace' Dangerfield (Crouch brothers, Sloane, Lyons, Ellis-Yolmen, Atkins, Knight). Redden will just take away game time and opportunity from them. You are sorely lacking in speed and creativity without Dangerfield imo, but those are Redden's downsides. Maaaaybe players like Aaron Hall, Nathan Freeman or that indigenous GWS kid you're apparently chasing (whose name escapes me just at the moment) would be the sort of players who could help add some of what will be lost with Dangerfield's departure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back