Mega Thread 2015 Training Reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Skills were fine in the wet and the wind was quite strong .
Alex Pearce read the wind best of the backs while Moller and Walters were the better readers of ball flight in the forward line .
Ballas did a nice shimmy into the forward line and slotted one from 40 metres into the wind with a dry ball early in the session .
Clark and Sandi struggled to hold marks when it was raining . The ball was slippery when it got wet and no one had any Grippo
Clancee and Fyfe have great hands and held everything .

moller doing well last few weeks.

Skills were fine in the wet and the wind was quite strong .
Alex Pearce read the wind best of the backs while Moller and Walters were the better readers of ball flight in the forward line .
Ballas did a nice shimmy into the forward line and slotted one from 40 metres into the wind with a dry ball early in the session .
Clark and Sandi struggled to hold marks when it was raining . The ball was slippery when it got wet and no one had any Grippo
Clancee and Fyfe have great hands and held everything .

Cheers Coulda - a very welcome update. :thumbsu:

Well Sunday morning at Fremantle Oval today was the place to be...Hurley , Hughes and Deluca on the outer wing doing sprints .

Very curious about this - who won the sprints? I've heard that Hurley has some very decent tow about him. Any of that on display at training?

Also stoked to hear Blakely was training with the mids. Given the clearance knocks seems to be going Fyfe's way more often than not, I wonder if Blakely will perform well enough (if included) for Mundy to spend more time in the back 6.

This would then allow Mayne to be our fourth tall again - his tackling pressure might conceivably lift our forward-line's output over the second half of the year, and give the guy a chance to rebuild his offensive form (...just in time for September. Yay!)

Last edited:
Cheers Coulda - a very welcome update. :thumbsu:

Very curious about this - who won the sprints? I've heard that Hurley has some very decent tow about him. Any of that on display at training?

Also stoked to hear Blakely was training with the mids. Given the clearance knocks seems to be going Fyfe's way more often than not, I wonder if Blakely will perform well enough (if included) for Mundy to spend more time in the back 6.

This would then allow Mayne to be our fourth tall again - his tackling pressure might conceivably lift our forward-line's output over the second half of the year, and give the guy a chance to rebuild his offensive form (...just in time for September. Yay!)

Hurley is our quickest tall but Deluca is faster than him but not by much over the 40 metres when they were doing the repeat sprints .

I caught up with Bondy at Fremantle Markets after training and we had a discussion about the Laurie Lawrence training drill and he was very interested .
He remembered Duncan Armstrongs Gold Medal swim which impressed me no end .
He said that it sounded like a great thing to try and the Physio with him asked so many questions about the weights, time spent in the water and timed breaks between the exercise and saw the benefits being a very good for our recovering players.
He was extremely interested in the benefits for players with back soreness ,ankles and knee injuries .
It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't try to contact Laurie for so other tips .

I caught up with Bondy at Fremantle Markets after training and we had a discussion about the Laurie Lawrence training drill and he was very interested .
He said that it sounded like a great thing to try and the Physio with him asked so many questions about the weights, time spent in the water and timed breaks between the exercise and saw the benefits being a very good for our recovering players.
He was extremely interested in the benefits for players with back soreness ,ankles and knee injuries .

Good god!

Legend. I would be a mess if I ever had a proper chat with Bondy. Would probably get half way through some point I'd been working up to saying for months only to be traded for Coulda with little left on my contract.

Legend. I would be a mess if I ever had a proper chat with Bondy. Would probably get half way through some point I'd been working up to saying for months only to be traded for Coulda with little left on my contract.

So long as you are respectful and aren't aggressive then all of the trainers officials and players are approachable .
Its what I love about our Club .
Regular watchers of training will tell you the same thing that when they are sitting on the bench near the entrance of the Gym , the players and everyone else love to interact with the fans , have a joke or just say hi . Walters , Fyfe ,Johnson ,Sutty , Suban ,Pav ,Sandi , Mundy , Hilly, Lachie and Sean H , Roger and RTB always give a howdy , smile and a thumbs up . None of our boys think that they are super stars , stuck up or too good to acknowledge the fans.

Am I the only one who has wondered why we don't train at night occasionally ?
I mean, we play a few night fixtures every year and dewy conditions are quite unique to play in...
Most of us amateurs know exactly this from weeknight training at the local clubs we played at - I'm intrigued why this doesn't happen at afl level ....

I mean, we play a few night fixtures every year and dewy conditions are quite unique to play in...
Most of us amateurs know exactly this from weeknight training at the local clubs we played at - I'm intrigued why this doesn't happen at afl level ....

Good point.

Are the lights adequate?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep good idea,Ive often thought we dont play as well at night and we play quite a few

Well done buddy - soon to be consultant !!!

I wandered down to training today and stood with Salim Malek in the sun near the media contingent under the veranda.

Conditions were fantastic, however I must say that training today was fairly low key with no real stand out performers today.
Other than Sandi tapping the ball to Fyfe who had the ball on a string of course, and Connor Blakely continues to impress, whilst Sandi's barrel that sailed through for a goal was a thing of beauty.

Alex Silvagni and Sean Hurley just ran laps, as did Michael Johnson for a very small period of time. No sign of Apeness, Morabito or Crowley today whilst
Zac Dawson trained with the main group but didn't use his right hand at all.

After the media were shown the door the match sims began and by the looks of things I would say that Mayne will come in for either Crozier or Taberner, and Clarke will come back in for Hannath.

I think Paul Duffield will come back in too as he trained with the main group, as did Tendai Mzungu and Matt De Boer. So I think Sherridan will make way for one of them.

Pav was moving well, as was Luke who matched up on him in the drills. Matt Taberner seemed to be used for match ups only, so perhaps he is the one top make way for Chris Mayne?

Ross was quite vocal and on several occasions nearly blew the pea out of the whistle as he halted the play to give feedback.

The boys started off a bit rusty, but were on song with their ball movement and stoppage work once the first hour of training was up.

Ballas, Mayne, Pav and Sonny had lots of shots on goal today and were kicking beautifully.

It was great to see so many players on the track today, so headaches at the selection table I'm sure.

Last edited:
I wandered down to training today and stood with Salim Malek in the sun near the media contingent under the veranda.

Conditions were fantastic, however I must say that training today was fairly low key with no real stand out performers today.
Other than Sandi tapping the ball to Fyfe who had the ball on a string of course, and Connor Blakely continues to impress, whilst Sandi's barrel that sailed through for a goal was a thing of beauty.

Alex Silvagni and Sean Hurley just ran laps, as did Michael Johnson for a very small period of time. No sign of Apeness, Morabito or Crowley today whilst

After the media were shown the door the match sims began and by the looks of things I would say that Mayne will come in for either Crozier or Taberner, and Clarke will come back in for Hannath.

I think Paul Duffield will come back in too as he trained with the main group, as did Tendai Mzungu and Matt De Boer. So I think Sherridan will make way for one of them.

Pav was moving well, as was Luke who matched up on him in the drills. Matt Taberner seemed to be used for match ups only, so perhaps he is the one top make way for Chris Mayne?

Ross was quite vocal and on several occasions nearly blew the pea out of the whistle as he halted the play to give feedback.

The boys started off a bit rusty, but were on song with their ball movement and stoppage work once the first hour of training was up.

Ballas, Mayne Pav and Sonny had lots of shots on goal today and were kicking beautifully.

It was great to see so many players on the track today, so headaches at the selection table I'm sure.
cheers Harry, great read!

Would love to see Blakely make his debut for someone like Suban.

Ballas, Mayne, Pav and Sonny had lots of shots on goal today and were kicking beautifully.

How many in the main group, sounds like 24-26?
Would in no way be surprised if Mayne replaces Taberner and we try for a little bit more of a running game with heavy pressure, but this would need a substantial lift from Ballas.

I can't remember Clarke being used in the ruck.He was stationed at CHF for the drills.Tabs , Tendai and De Boer all wore the yellow vests which is a usual sign of non selection.Blackly,Weller also in the yellow vests.Its not a certain sign of not getting a gig but????

I can't remember Clarke being used in the ruck.He was stationed at CHF for the drills.Tabs , Tendai and De Boer all wore the yellow vests which is a usual sign of non selection.Blackly,Weller also in the yellow vests.Its not a certain sign of not getting a gig but????

Clarke in for Tabs. Hmmmmm *quick weather check*

At the end he was in the ruck drills on the scoreboard side of the ground. They were practicing centre clearances and he was interchanging with Sandi in the ruck.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back