2015 V8 Supercars

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough.

Curiously, do you have a similar opinion of other drivers who have taken the 'comfortable' option to be a big fish in Australia? Whincup, Winterbottom, Skaife, perhaps even Brock, Johnson?

Alright. Based from what I know.

Brock and Johnson were inspired by Bathurst. F1 didn't have the same attraction, they didn't grow up watching it on tv. Australia was a different place then as well.

I don't think Whincup even gave a **** about being a pro driver. But he was kicking arse in karts, and kept being funded for higher an higher levels til V8s. If all he ever did was race karts, I don't think he would've cared or felt a need to be validated as much as others do.

Winterbottom. He won a Ford sponsored kart series. Otherwise he'd probably be unknown outside of kart circles.

Skaife? He did make a half arsed attempt at F1, Fred Gibson took him over to Europe (and I think tested a Jordan). But I suspect when those two realised Europeans are much better at being shonky than what they are. They stuck to being the big shoky fish in a small pond that is Australian motorsport.

Dat race but !!...

Been onwards and upwards for the Chaz ever since and King James hasn't looked like it this year.
Shudder to think what the FGX will do on the mountain this year.

The FGX might not be as fast come Bathurst. That race seems to throw up a few surprises as cars need to go fast in a straight and through the twisty elevations on the mountain. The AU being s**t most of the year was fast come Bathurst, Stone Brothers were surprising bridemaids during the Ambrose years, and Kmart Racings giant turn of speed for a couple of years. But... a couple of wins in a row won't hurt the team's chances... and no Paul Morris to weigh things down.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 wild cards this year. One being campaigned by the Russell brothers, Aaren and Drew. The second being an all Female car ran by Prodrive and driven by Renee Gracie and Indycar and Formula E driver Simona De Silvestra.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back