2015 - What to expect

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm pretty sure we have one of the smallest coaching panels in terms of numbers. We need to add. We cut a couple the year we got mick and never really replaced them.

Isn't it the opposite? If we're depleted don't we need to add and not cut?

Longmire-Blakey-Dew-Playfair-Mattner-Crouch

Scott-Tudor-Watson-Crocker-Drummond-Moore-Brown-Dyer

Malthouse-Laidley-Wiley-Barker-Green-Capuano-Osborne-Webster

Maybe you're right...what an important off season it is.

Maclure did ask him as to whether there was anyone below MM who was capable of stepping into the role and as you'd expect after only being there a short time Trigg couldn't really answer.
McClure would ask that.

Rules for our fixture next year:

– Sides ranked in the bottom third (13-18) will have either no or a maximum of one double-meeting with a side ranked 1-6. They will have at least one but no more than two double-meetings with sides ranked 7-12. They will have a minimum of two and a maximum of three double-meetings with sides ranked in the same lower third bracket (13-18).

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...orian-clubs-20130903-2t2c9.html#ixzz3BwX1n0rC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

– Sides ranked in the bottom third (13-18) will have either no or a maximum of one double-meeting with a side ranked 1-6. They will have at least one but no more than two double-meetings with sides ranked 7-12. They will have a minimum of two and a maximum of three double-meetings with sides ranked in the same lower third bracket (13-18).

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...orian-clubs-20130903-2t2c9.html#ixzz3BwX1n0rC

I like that they are trying to be fair but would seem weird to only play Essendon and Collingwood once a year. Lets hope the teams we draw in the bottom bracket are Melbourne and Saints!

Judd to retire with a 3rd brownlow medal and Levi Casboult to take home the coleman..? ..Anyone? ..How about it?

Oh and also Mick and Murph to hold up cup 17. Prediction game strong.

I think people have gotten used to a few sides being very good for a long period of time that they believe there is no room in the top 4. I disagree and think the top 4 sides are more vulnerable than you may think.

- The Swans whilst arguably have the best list are now too top heavy in their salary distribution and I think you will see it will be hard for them to hold onto their talent over the next few years and you will see then weaken slightly as a result. Malceski is the first example of this and I expect to be gone come years end.
- The Hawks have 9 players over 30 years old in their starting 22.
- The Cats continue to slowly drop off. They have won a lot of very close games this year (they won 8 games by 13 or less and their closest loss was 20 points, so effective 8-0 for close matches - we on the other hand went 2-6-1) and next year you will see them start to drop some of those. They have some talented kids but no real game breakers and their stars will start to have less impact (I refer to the Stevie Js and Bartels of the side). Their list isnt as old as Hawthorn but all of their A graders lie about 30 years old (except Selwood).
- Freo... Pav will be 33, Sandi 32, Crowley 31, McPharlin 33. Pivotal players that cant be replaced. They have some great mids, but that is a KPF, ruck, KPF and best tagger in the comp.

Its a simple fact of having too much talent getting too old in all except Sydneys case. This comp will open up make no mistake about it. Whilst i dont expect all these sides to drop off at the same time (I think Sydney will be the slowest to do so) they will not be so concrete in locking their spot in the 4. Port is certainly knocking but i dont see any other team below them that is building a basis to really threaten hard to claim that top 4 spot and I wouldnt be so hesitant to write us off for a top 4 spot next year. A strong start to the season, confidence rises, faith in the structures at the club, game plan and playing list and we can buld anything in 2015.

Edit - we have 4 players above 30 - Waite, Simpson, Carrazzo, Judd. We have been without all but Simpson for extended periods so we know what we have got to do to deal without having them in the side. Dare I say Simpson will hurt the most to lose because he is in the side every week but he could play to 34-35. Jamison, Walker and McLean next oldest with 28. Our list is in very good shape, a great distribution of age and talent on the rise. If the above suggests anything its the teams with enough talent that get to 30 find themselves in the best position to make the top 4 (or they have the advantage of the COLA).

Last edited:

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/afl-fixture-model-set-to-challenge-big-victorian-clubs-20130903-2t2c9.html#ixzz3BwX1n0rC

Well, we'd better learn the knack of beating those bottom six sides. No point having an easy draw if we're going to continue losing to teams like Melbourne, Brisbane and GWS. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back