2016 AFL Fantasy Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know where you're getting his U18 Champs information from but I can tell you that apart from his monster round 3 game (an anomaly), his scoring was average at best and even with it, I'd still doubt he averaged anywhere over 75 PPG. He's a Harry Taylor-type player but shorter and without the consistency required to be a premium scorer. Trust me on this call; he's not the player I'd be going anywhere near until he shows some consistent form.
Apparently avg 75

Oops see above post

Thats elite for champs

Francis' scores in the U18 champs (av. 74):
43 (vs WA)
88 (Vic M)
140 (WA)
61 (Vic C)
73 (Vic C)
40 (Vic M)

Bailey Rice averaged 45; scores of 52, 19, 72 and 37.

Tom Cole averaged 63 with scores of 81, 90, 79, 38, 29 and 60.

Hibberd averaged 88 in div. 2 with scores of 120, 56 and 87. Also averaged 95 in the TAC Cup.
Feels a bit like self gratification to quote myself, but this way all the numbers are in the same post.

I checked the TAC Cup stats for Rice and Cole.

Rice played 13 games and averaged 90, which included a 31 in the first match.

Cole played 9 games and averaged 105.

Honestly though TAC stuff really means nothing unless theyre playing the EXACT same role ar AFL level which they most likely will not be.
That's the most stupid comment I might have ever heard. TAC Cup scoring really means nothing'! So we should completely disregard Jade Gresham scoring 125+ for his first 7 games? Ryan Clarke's massive 190 score amongst totals of 144 and 153 weeks before and after? Nick O'Kearney's remarkable consistency; his lowest score was 82, with only 3 games below 100? Tom Phillips' incredible 5-week run of 133, 126, 146, 189, 163? I have an entire database of TAC Cup averages to go on from, and I can tell you right now that TAC Cup form means an absolute bucketload towards a player's scoring potential in the AFL. I haven't seen you quote a single correct player average to back up any of your points about Francis. To be honest, you can go ahead and pick him and come back to me after 5 rounds when you've traded him because he's been thrown in the deep end, averaging >60 because he's too short to get many intercept marks and homesick (yep). And to everyone on this thread, Aaron Francis is a marking machine and has real talent and promise, but people are deluding themselves if they think that a Champs average of 75, upped by one terrific score, is enough to justify Aaron Francis' selection without even glancing over his SANFL stats, AFL Fantasy price and playing role.

It all depends on the role Francis plays at Essendon, if he's used as a third tall during the NAB Cup then I think you'd be silly to pick him up but if he's used as a rebounding defender or especially if they try and develop him as a big bodied midfielder he'd really prick my ears. A rookie over 200k would need to have a really impressive NAB Cup for me to pick him up though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What do people think of Paul Seedsman?
350k or so

I rate him but Adelaide have so many of the same type. Sooo many (Smith, Henderson, Jaench, Laird, cheney, kelly. Then throw in players like lever, hampton) It will be interesting to see who fits in defence/wing/not selected. Haha, I may have even missed a couple of players

NAB cup will be interesting to see where the players play.

Maybe an Adelaide fan can add more about where they are training, interclub hit outs etc...

Last edited:
I rate him but Adelaide have so many of the same type. Sooo many (Smith, Henderson, Jaench, Laird, cheney, kelly. Then throw in players like lever, hampton) It will be interesting to see who fits in defence/wing/not selected. Haha, I may have even missed a couple of players

NAB cup will be interesting to see where the players play.

Maybe an Adelaide fan can add more about where they are training, interclub hit outs etc...

Adelaide the most interesting side to see there 22 this year.

New coach, lost there best player, brand new coach, woosha not there. New players all similar types

Adelaide the most interesting side to see there 22 this year.

New coach, lost there best player, brand new coach, woosha not there. New players all similar types

indeed... no real info coming out of the locked training sessions...
but the general consensus is that they are training heavy on skills and team defense.
expect fast ball offensive movement on the back of heavy running power.

the loss of Dangerfield will be interesting... personally i think it will be a blessing in disguise - but we'll know soon enough.

how do essendon people - and Richmond - see matt dea as a defender option?
Tough one. Id say he isnt best 22 right now but i dont know enough. Youd hope guys who will be with the club for the next several seasons would be picked ahead of him as defenders. Our defense should still be ok.

Dempsey (def/fwd), Baguley, Gwilt, Hartley, Gleeson, M.Brown, Francis

Tough one. Id say he isnt best 22 right now but i dont know enough. Youd hope guys who will be with the club for the next several seasons would be picked ahead of him as defenders. Our defense should still be ok.

Dempsey (def/fwd), Baguley, Gwilt, Hartley, Gleeson, M.Brown, Francis
What exactly do you predict Francis's role to be mate? Fantasy relevant?

What exactly do you predict Francis's role to be mate? Fantasy relevant?
He will play 3rd tall defender or half back flank.

His greatest skills are his speed, intercept marking and kicking and he comes with size.

Edit: out of all the kids come through since Goddard was pick 1 hes the most similar to him. He will start his career similar. Hes just quicker but doesnt have the goddard kicking skills albeit is still very good

Saw an interview the other day. Seedsman is training in the mids not defence. That makes him good value if he plays mid or wings.

Yep Seedsman penciled in for a wing it seems, Smith penciled in for the same halfback role. Hampton unsure i think the coaches still are there was an article on him recently though i think they were saying more half back i doubt he has the engine for a wing. Hes also a decent forward but with Betts, Cameron co might be tough to get a gig

Remove this Banner Ad

Back