2016 AFL Fantasy Ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Only 5 rucks im considering really. Ill keep one to myself but theyre the ever popular Goldstein, Martin, Leuy and Lobbe my rucks 99% likely will come from those 4.

Pilchard_Adams

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
If you think both can and will avg 125 then you pick them from the start. If you think one might avg 100-105 then you probably look to get them in far cheaper especially when you have serious value in a sole ruck like Leunberger sitting there. He has +35 upside in him, you cant say that about to many other players

And then when Luey has a few injuries causing some 20's and 30's scores, misses 40% of the season, and doesnt reach his potential +35 average upside, I will be happy I saved myself a trade and started with Goldstein,

Besides, even if Goldy has a patch of 4 scores of 70 or 80, its not like most players dont have down games. He had that down patch last season and still finished the season with an average of 113.8 which is what I am looking at for a player I dont plan on ever trading out.

doesnt reach his potential +35 average upside

Luey last year = 54.4
Luey +35 = 89.4

In 9 years of AFL, Luey has only once averaged:
- once over 90 (92.8)
- once over 85 (85.2)
- Once over 70 (77.4)
- Then the rest below 60 (48.7 average over the 6 years).

Over that time he has averaged only 12 games per season.

I think it is safer to assume he is not going to be a +35 potential player. That would mean he would need a career best year.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
And then when Luey has a few injuries causing some 20's and 30's scores, misses 40% of the season, and doesnt reach his potential +35 average upside, I will be happy I saved myself a trade and started with Goldstein,

Besides, even if Goldy has a patch of 4 scores of 70 or 80, its not like most players dont have down games. He had that down patch last season and still finished the season with an average of 113.8 which is what I am looking at for a player I dont plan on ever trading out.
Fair enough . Thats exactly what i need to weigh up

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Luey last year = 54.4
Luey +35 = 89.4

In 9 years of AFL, Luey has only once averaged:
- once over 90 (92.8)
- once over 85 (85.2)
- Once over 70 (77.4)
- Then the rest below 60 (48.7 average over the 6 years).

Over that time he has averaged only 12 games per season.

I think it is safer to assume he is not going to be a +35 potential player. That would mean he would need a career best year.
He can avg 85 IMO as a sole ruck. He needs to play Nab cup at some point for me to pick him though. Ill be heading to the eagles vs bombers game 13th march in anticipation thats for sure

Apr 18, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Thoughts on Mumford?

He's just so important for the Giants. Can't justify picking him over Jacobs for the price... but wouldn't be surprised if he has a massive year.

I've got good vibes about Leuey since he saved my arse a couple years ago - vibes aren't enough to grab him unfortunately, will be keeping an eye on him.

He can avg 85 IMO as a sole ruck. He needs to play Nab cup at some point for me to pick him though. Ill be heading to the eagles vs bombers game 13th march in anticipation thats for sure

Done it twice it 9 years. Personally I dont think his body will hold up with the limited rotations.

Also, I reckon Mckernan will play most games so will be a second ruck.

In my opinion, if you are picking Luey:
80+: Is a dream result but unlikely with his history and would put him in career best form (with the amount of clubs that needed a Ruckman in the offseason, he really was an unwanted ruck that is being payed peanuts)
70-80: A more realistic expectation of his scores
50-70: You couldn't be surprised

There is a high reward there, if it comes off but its not a lock. I am glad I didn't pick him last year, and, Personally I wouldn't go there unless he kills the NAB (With Grimely/Jamar/McKernan though and his injury history want play to much over it)

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
He has bee injured in those 50-70 avg seasons. Im saying IF and i know big IF, he runs around in the last Nab game and the dons pick him and Mckernan in the side which is likely then its very hard to see him avg any less than 80, 85 would be my expectation. Mckernan is required more up forward and Leuy arguably would have one of the biggest tanks as a ruckmen in the game, so will play alot of midfield minutes.

Its something i have to delve into a little more thats for sure.

Remembet he was having quiet a good preseason before the break.

Ive never said hes a lock hes one being considered by me and others im sure. Alot depends on what happens from now to round 1 team selection

Leuy arguably would have one of the biggest tanks as a ruckmen in the game

Haha, wouldn't even be in my top 10 tanks:
- nic nat/goldy/martin/gawn/tippett/Sinclair/grundy/ryder/jacobs/kruezer/vaedy/blics.... Ok I'm getting bored at this. He doesn't have the best tank.

IF, he runs around in the last Nab game and the dons pick him and Mckernan in the side which is likely then its very hard to see him avg any less than 80, 85 would be my expectation.

I can't see him averaging that. Guess we will agree to disagree.

I think it's funny, you think Goldy will have a down period (a string of 70's) from 1 year as a super premo, but Luey will Average 85 after 9 years of evidence (6 years if you start from his first good year).

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Really you think nic nat has a bigger tank then Leunberger? and Ryder seriously? watch him run a time trial please over long distance. Its terrible.

The fact you didnt mention Lobbe makes me laugh aswell.

Goldys always had a down patch. History woukd say it happens whether it continues next year we dont know. It happened last year and it will be an all mighty effort to improve or that with a 114+ avg. Yes it happened after a slight knock but thats football isnt it? It happens to players every year, year on year out.

Anyway im sick of the bickering. We will agree to disagree.

Last edited:

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
More like Leuenburner am I right guys

Anyone have good vibes on Blicavs role?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More like Leuenburner am I right guys

Anyone have good vibes on Blicavs role?

Heard Geelong dont want him playing in the Ruck (I reckon will still be third man up around the ground). Hopefully there is a Geelong supporter out there but I reckon will be behind the ball/on it. Good for fantasy.

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
You could realistically get close to 250 most weeks from Goldy & Martin but you'll be spending about 1.25m which is a huge chunk of your salary on rucks.
What's the problem with spending that much money in the ruck if they're tearing it up like that?

I really don't like the Leuey / Lobbe combo... Never again want to be burned by Leuenberger and I don't see why you'd pick Lobbe all things considered, can't see him going over 85 avg - just seems like a waste unless you have some genius way of using that money R1

What's the problem with spending that much money in the ruck if they're tearing it up like that?

I really don't like the Leuey / Lobbe combo... Never again want to be burned by Leuenberger and I don't see why you'd pick Lobbe all things considered, can't see him going over 85 avg - just seems like a waste unless you have some genius way of using that money R1

There is no problem. If you think there is better value to have for example:

2*Premium Ruck, 1*Fwd Midpricer
v
1*Premium Ruck, 1*Mid Price Ruck, 1*Fwd Premium

Then do it.

You dont need to make money in the rucks, If you have the cash cows elsewhere to cover the money you would have made there is no problem.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide

Lobbes priced at 77 from memory. Avg 89/90 before. In the 4 games without Ryder last year avg 94+

The only year that isnt a keeper is 2015 (the year just gone)

Edit: I agree with your first point. People who say your going to get 250 from Martin Goldy but isnt worth spending the money on them is one of the most stupidest things ive heard TBH

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
There is no problem. If you think there is better value to have for example:

2*Premium Ruck, 1*Fwd Midpricer
v
1*Premium Ruck, 1*Mid Price Ruck, 1*Fwd Premium

Then do it.

You dont need to make money in the rucks, If you have the cash cows elsewhere to cover the money you would have made there is no problem.

In relation to making money.

You dont agree with 'more the merrier' ?

When your producing the same amount of points.

I guess it comea down to what risk you want to take and what else you can do with your money elsewhere. The 2nd ruck spot will probably be the last player picked in my side and the amount of coin leftover will determine who it is

In relation to making money.

You dont agree with 'more the merrier' ?

When your producing the same amount of points.

I guess it comea down to what risk you want to take and what else you can do with your money elsewhere. The 2nd ruck spot will probably be the last player picked in my side and the amount of coin leftover will determine who it is

The last player picked in my side is m7/m8, d5/d6, f5/f6 because you can't bench your r2. They are a player you rely on, or you burn 1 or 2 trades trading them out.

R2 is more important than most people think. In my view anyway

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
The last player picked in my side is m7/m8, d5/d6, f5/f6 because you can't bench your r2. They are a player you rely on, or you burn 1 or 2 trades trading them out.

R2 is more important than most people think. In my view anyway
I must admit team lineups usually pick my team for me. Last year i saw Z.Smith and TBC as sole rucks picked that were cheap and had quite solid PS Nab form but that quickly changed.

Ive locked in 1 ruck just seeing how much coin is left to determine who i go.

Aug 14, 2009
Port Kennedy
AFL Club
West Coast
Haven't looked up stats specifically but I have owned Lobbe before and find he tackles really well. If he continues this effort he doesn't need a hell of a lot of extra possessions to increase his average and without Ryder I think his tank will be his only limitation. He has all the ruck minutes he can handle.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
Haven't looked up stats specifically but I have owned Lobbe before and find he tackles really well. If he continues this effort he doesn't need a hell of a lot of extra possessions to increase his average and without Ryder I think his tank will be his only limitation. He has all the ruck minutes he can handle.

Has a pretty dam good tank mate. Runs 10 mins give or take for 3km time trials

To put into perspective the record 3km time trial at the draft camp was 9.15 done at the most recent camp. Van berlo use to run around at 9.30s which was considered as good as it gets at the time.

Last edited:
Back