2016 AFL Fixture. News and Speculation

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope it is. I always go to the first away game of the year no matter where it is and the Gold Coast could be the perfect weekend away. Alas as the poster you quoted said there is absolutely no way we play round 1 away this year.
I read an earlier article about the Sheffield Cricket Final has contention with the AFL for venues like the MCG and SCG in the Easter period. I am not sure this is the reason of two games in Queensland for that weekend. I do not know cricket enough to fully comprehend the issue.

Ideal:

Thursday 24th March
Hawthorn vs. West Coast MCG 7:20 (7)

Friday 25th March
Port Adelaide vs. Fremantle AO 7:20 (7)

Saturday 26th March
Adelaide vs. Geelong AO 1:40 (7)
Sydney Swans vs. GWS Giants ANZ 4:40 (FF)
Collingwood vs. Western Bulldogs MCG 7:20 (7)

Sunday 27th March
Melbourne vs. St. Kilda ES 1:40 (FF)
Essendon vs. Carlton MCG 3:20 (7)
Brisbane vs. Gold Coast Gabba 4:40 (FF)

Monday 28th March
Richmond vs. North Melbourne MCG 3:20 (7)
50272_82967146522_7616_n.jpg

I read an earlier article about the Sheffield Cricket Final has contention with the AFL for venues like the MCG and SCG in the Easter period. I am not sure this is the reason of two games in Queensland for that weekend. I do not know cricket enough to fully comprehend the issue.
ahhh ok. Yeah that's possible. Wouldn't mind if that's the case :thumbsu:

Cricket Australia have agreed to let the AFL use the MCG over the Easter weekend; and the AFL's contract with Adelaide Oval gives them access. Potentially the SCG, the Gabba or Blundstone could be required for cricket.

There was a leak on the eve of the Grand Final for the R1 fixture - 2016 (with 2 games in Queensland) as follows:

Richmond versus Carlton
Thursday, March 24, 7:20pm Melbourne Cricket Ground

Gold Coast Suns versus Port Adelaide
Saturday, March 26, 12:40pm Metricon Stadium

West Coast Eagles versus GWS Giants
Saturday, March 26, 1:35pm Domain Stadium

Brisbane Lions versus Sydney Swans
Saturday, March 26, 6:20pm Gabba

Collingwood versus Western Bulldogs
Saturday, March 26, 7:20pm Melbourne Cricket Ground

North Melbourne versus Fremantle
Sunday, March 27, 1:10pm Blundstone Arena

Adelaide Crows versus St Kilda
Sunday, March 27, 2:50pm Adelaide Oval

Essendon versus Melbourne
Sunday, March 27, 4:40pm Melbourne Cricket Ground

Geelong Cats versus Hawthorn
Monday, March 28, 3:20pm Melbourne Cricket Ground

Pretty sure the crows play away round 1 in 2016.

There was a leak on the eve of the Grand Final for the R1 fixture - 2016 (with 2 games in Queensland) as follows:

Richmond versus Carlton
Thursday, March 24, 7:20pm Melbourne Cricket Ground

Gold Coast Suns versus Port Adelaide
Saturday, March 26, 12:40pm Metricon Stadium

West Coast Eagles versus GWS Giants
Saturday, March 26, 1:35pm Domain Stadium

Brisbane Lions versus Sydney Swans
Saturday, March 26, 6:20pm Gabba

Collingwood versus Western Bulldogs
Saturday, March 26, 7:20pm Melbourne Cricket Ground

North Melbourne versus Fremantle
Sunday, March 27, 1:10pm Blundstone Arena

Adelaide Crows versus St Kilda
Sunday, March 27, 2:50pm Adelaide Oval

Essendon versus Melbourne
Sunday, March 27, 4:40pm Melbourne Cricket Ground

Geelong Cats versus Hawthorn
Monday, March 28, 3:20pm Melbourne Cricket Ground
That was from an article on The Roar. Don't think it came from an official source - I think it was their version of this thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That was from an article on The Roar. Don't think it came from an official source - I think it was their version of this thread.
I don't think it is originally from this particular thread. How close to the final release fixture? Time will tell. 15 days to go. Exciting, isn't it?

I like the NFL approach of the reigning champions vs a decent team opening the season.

Elimination final loser Richmond vs 16th place Carlton would be a bloody underwhelming way to start.
Even worse when it is Ef loser Richmond facing 18th placed Carlton

I like the NFL approach of the reigning champions vs a decent team opening the season.

Elimination final loser Richmond vs 16th place Carlton would be a bloody underwhelming way to start.

Reigning Champs v a big supported club that finished no lower than 12th
however the reigning champ opponent needs to be shared around a bit, can't have Collingwood hog it every year

Reigning Champs v a big supported club that finished no lower than 12th
however the reigning champ opponent needs to be shared around a bit, can't have Collingwood hog it every year

Hawthorn vs Sydney. Good for NSW ratings too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back