Opinion 2016 Best 22 - Best Twenty Two for Twenty Sixteen with our new Two + Two + Four

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-11-28/your-teams-best-22-for-2016

B: Jack Hombsch, Alipate Carlile, Jarman Impey
HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Hamish Hartlett
C: Jared Polec, Brad Ebert, Jasper Pittard
HF: Justin Westhoff, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray
F: Angus Monfries, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Ollie Wines
I/C: Matthew Lobbe, Matt White, Tom Jonas, Brendon Ah Chee

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Logan Austin, Cam O'Shea, Tom Clurey
General defenders: Riley Bonner, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Nathan Krakouer
Key-position forwards: John Butcher, Dougal Howard
General forwards: Cameron Hewett*, Dan Houston*, Aidyn Johnson, Jake Neade, Jesse Palmer, Paul Stewart
Midfielders: Karl Amon, Sam Colquhoun, Kane Mitchell*, Sam Gray, Will Snelling*, Jimmy Toumpas, Aaron Young
Rucks: Billy Frampton

Due to the Power's injury woes last year many players were offered chances to strut their stuff on the big stage and to be fair to them, many took those opportunities. Guys such as Sam Gray, Aaron Young and Nathan Krakouer are difficult to leave out of a 'best scenario' 22, but the question always comes back to who makes way for their insertion? Tom Jonas will get back to his best, Brendon Ah Chee deserves a spot and for those just missing the 22, the challenge to break in will remain. Jimmy Toumpas may well impress over the summer and climb the pecking order – however Young, Gray, Colquhoun and even Amon have substantially more runs on the board at Alberton. - Harry Thring

HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Jasper Pittard
C: Jared Polec, Hamish Hartlett (VC), Matt White,
F: Jake Neade, Shultz/Butcher, Chad Wingard
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak (C), Ollie Wines
I/C: Nathan Krakouer, Brendon Ah Chee, Sam Gray, Brad Ebert

Next Inline:

KP Forwards: 1. Butcher
Small Forwards: 1. Amon, 2. Monfries,
Defence: 1. Jonas, 2. Clurey 3. O'Shea, 4. Bonner
Mids Inside: 1. Young
Mids Outside: 1. Toumpos, 2. Hoon, 3. Mitchell
Ruck: 1. Lobbe

Back on page 6 I said I'll get back to you at the end of the preseason. I still wont predict who will make our best 22 but I know one thing for sure, I started 2015 thinking our best 23 were the 22 that played all 3 finals in 2014 + Ryder. Well early today I thought our best 22 will no longer include Cornes, Moore, Neade and O'Shea from that 23 so that is 19 and Dixon comes in to make 20.

But I checked our team list and O'Shea played 9 of the last 9 and Neade 8 of the last 9. But Bobby missed those 9 games, Jacko missed the last 3, Ollie missed the last 5, and Polec missed all 9.

Port Adelaide POWER Round 1 vs St Kilda

F: Schulz - Dixon - Wingard
HF: Neade - Westhoff - Monfires
C: Polec - Boak (C) - Ebert
HB: Broadbent - Trengove - Hartlett
B: Hombsch - Carlile - Pittard
R: Ryder - Wines - R.Gray
INT: Krak - White - Oshea - S. Gray
EMERG: Lobbe - Jonas - Ah Chee

DEPTH
In order Inside Mid - 1 Ah Chee, 2 Young
In order Outside Mid 1 Toumpus, 2 Amon, 3 Mitchell
in order Backs 1 Jonas, 2 Clurey >>>> 3 Austin
In order small backs 1 Impey 2 Hoon >>>>> 3 Byrne Jones
In order rucks 1 Lobbe >>>>> 2 Frampton
In order key Forwards 1 Butcher, >>>>>> 2 Howard
In order small forward 1 Palmer, 2 Stewert

Unsure till i see from the new guys, Snelling (mid?) Houston (Mid) Hewett (back Small) Bonner (mid/ small back) Johnson (small fwd)

HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Hamish Hartlett
C: Jared Polec, Brad Ebert, Jasper Pittard
F: Angus Monfries, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard
Foll: Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Ollie Wines
I/C: Matthew Lobbe, Matt White, Tom Jonas, Brendon Ah Chee

DEPTH
Key-position defenders: Logan Austin, Cam O'Shea, Tom Clurey
General defenders: Riley Bonner, Darcy Byrne-Jones, Nathan Krakouer
Key-position forwards: John Butcher, Dougal Howard
General forwards: Cameron Hewett*, Dan Houston*, Aidyn Johnson, Jake Neade, Jesse Palmer, Paul Stewart
Midfielders: Karl Amon, Sam Colquhoun, Kane Mitchell*, Sam Gray, Will Snelling*, Jimmy Toumpas, Aaron Young
Rucks: Billy Frampton

Due to the Power's injury woes last year many players were offered chances to strut their stuff on the big stage and to be fair to them, many took those opportunities. Guys such as Sam Gray, Aaron Young and Nathan Krakouer are difficult to leave out of a 'best scenario' 22, but the question always comes back to who makes way for their insertion? Tom Jonas will get back to his best, Brendon Ah Chee deserves a spot and for those just missing the 22, the challenge to break in will remain. Jimmy Toumpas may well impress over the summer and climb the pecking order – however Young, Gray, Colquhoun and even Amon have substantially more runs on the board at Alberton. - Harry Thring

Jesus, Mary and Joseph.
Having too many players brings almost as much teeth gnashing as not having enough.
I've worn my falsies to the gum.
The best I can do is mutter something along the lines of,"There better be no favourites next season - one bad game and you're in trouble".
Otherwise we are going to have a lot of talented and disenchanted players.

Ah Chee fits in our best 22 better than SGray IMO.
Yeah the need for a bigger body is more prevalent than the need for a smaller accumulating mid. However it's hard to ignore Sam's end of season form which was elite while AhChee seemingly still has more question marks.

I know our 2015 was poor, but it baffles me when people say we have no depth. Quite the opposite, actually. My biggest criticism of the coaches this year was their hesitation to drop underperforming senior players. Monfries, Jonas and Lobbe should have spent an extended period of time in the twos. If we just cross our fingers and hope for the best next year, we're doomed to fail again.

I can't help but feel that we are going to have fringe players knocking down the door and causing selection headaches in 2016. This can only be a good thing if the coaches are doing their job properly. Id hate to see any of Impey, O'Shea, Amon, Clurey etc. be forced out through lack of opportunities. I think we've done a very good job of retaining players so far.

Apologies I've just repeated what anyone else has said.

Also, gotta say I'm disappointed that Four 'N Twenty wasn't somehow worked into the thread title.

I know our 2015 was poor, but it baffles me when people say we have no depth. Quite the opposite, actually. My biggest criticism of the coaches this year was their hesitation to drop underperforming senior players. Monfries, Jonas and Lobbe should have spent an extended period of time in the twos. If we just cross our fingers and hope for the best next year, we're doomed to fail again.
A bit of column A and a bit of column B. Yes underperforming players should have been dropped earlier, but it wasn't until the end of season when S. Gray and Ah Chee had gotten a few games going that they stepped up from fringe to true depth (and possibly/probably best 22). Amon to a lesser degree.

Certainly our depth at the start of this year is much better. K. Cornes the only quality main list player to go and S. Gray, Ah Chee and Amon from within the list, Dixon and Toumpas from trades. And replacing the unfit Harvey and injured Shaw with the likes of one of our KPP's from last year smokies to get a game or two later in the season and we're much better from top to bottom of the list for both quality and depth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We need kang mitchell in the gutss

latest

Too early for me to pick a team in either comp, but I agree with the pie and sauce bloke, ie the club didn't trade for Toumpas to play him in the sanfl.

I also agree with cookie boy in that the Maggies will often field a very inexperienced line up, eg Hewett, who at this stage of his footy career is likely to be sanfl magoo's standard at best, but the rules as I understand them are if he is fit, as a Power listed player he must be selected in the Maggie's league team.

I note too that some have Summo in the team and Power listed players named as emergencies, that can't happen either, in the unlikely event the club had a full list to choose from even Summo would have to drop down to a lesser comp.
As Maggie's captain he may be exempt from the draconian rules placed on the club by the snafl, but if he is I'm not aware of it.

Obviously there will always be some injuries, plus a travelling emergency when the Power play interstate, which will open up spots for Maggie listed players, but the bird has probably flown on another sanfl flag and the Maggies primary function is to hone the form of fringe and inexperienced players, ie to be a feeder team for the Power.

All the above aside I will still be attending most ( if not all ) Maggie games at Alberton. :)

I note too that some have Summo in the team and Power listed players named as emergencies, that can't happen either, in the unlikely event the club had a full list to choose from even Summo would have to drop down to a lesser comp.
As Maggie's captain he may be exempt from the draconian rules placed on the club by the snafl, but if he is I'm not aware of it.

Obviously there will always be some injuries, plus a travelling emergency when the Power play interstate, which will open up spots for Maggie listed players, but the bird has probably flown on another sanfl flag and the Maggies primary function is to hone the form of fringe and inexperienced players, ie to be a feeder team for the Power.

All the above aside I will still be attending most ( if not all ) Maggie games at Alberton. :)
If the SANFL had their way, Port Adelaide and Adelaide would only be able to field 10-12 AFL listed players per-game regardless of numbers available.

If the SANFL had their way, Port Adelaide and Adelaide would only be able to field 10-12 AFL listed players per-game regardless of numbers available.

That may not necessarily be a bad thing, the 10-12 most experienced AFL fringe players backed up by the best available Maggie listed players could result in a stronger team.

Whatever selections, if Sam Gray trains the house down pre-season and shines in nab cup, you can't drop him from his last 4 games. Nearly bog each game. Selection dilemmas for sure with wines and polec in mix.
F Monfries Schulz Wingard
HF Ebert Dixon Westhoff
C Polec Wines White
HB Hartlett Trengove Pittard
B Jonas Carlile Hombsch
R Ryder Boak Gray
Int S Gray, AhChee, Impey, Neade

Whatever selections, if Sam Gray trains the house down pre-season and shines in nab cup, you can't drop him from his last 4 games. Nearly bog each game. Selection dilemmas for sure with wines and polec in mix.
F Monfries Schulz Wingard
HF Ebert Dixon Westhoff
C Polec Wines White
HB Hartlett Trengove Pittard
B Jonas Carlile Hombsch
R Ryder Boak Gray
Int S Gray, AhChee, Impey, Neade

We're not having 3 littlies on the bench.

Broadbent or O'Shea would come in for one of them probably Neade.

That is not true.

So you believe that someone like eg Masters, Sharrad, Biemans, or Haarsma, getting a game ahead of ( again eg ) a project player like Hewett, wouldn't make the Maggie's team stronger?

I have to beg to differ on that, as I believe if the Maggies were allowed to select 10-12 of the best Power listed players, backed up by the likes of those mentioned, the team would be stronger, as under the current rules it's players like the above ( and others ) that are omitted to make way for a Power listed player once that player is declared fit, and that is regardless of said player's form or experience.

Last season we had to select Wagner, and he was nowhere near league standard.
I am only using Hewett as an example because the general opinion of some footy people I have spoken to recently is he is currently about snafl magoo's level, of course he may surprise us all and be better than that. ;)

It's all water under the bridge now of course, but there are plenty who believe that if the Maggies had been allowed to select its strongest team for the 2014 gf, the result may have been very different.

So you believe that someone like eg Masters, Sharrad, Biemans, or Haarsma, getting a game ahead of ( again eg ) a project player like Hewett, wouldn't make the Maggie's team stronger?

I have to beg to differ on that, as I believe if the Maggies were allowed to select 10-12 of the best Power listed players, backed up by the likes of those mentioned, the team would be stronger, as under the current rules it's players like the above ( and others ) that are omitted to make way for a Power listed player once that player is declared fit, and that is regardless of said player's form or experience.

Last season we had to select Wagner, and he was nowhere near league standard.
I am only using Hewett as an example because the general opinion of some footy people I have spoken to recently is he is currently about snafl magoo's level, of course he may surprise us all and be better than that. ;)

It's all water under the bridge now of course, but there are plenty who believe that if the Maggies had been allowed to select its strongest team for the 2014 gf, the result may have been very different.
Development of players within the Magpies with the intention of playing for the Power comes first. Stunting this development by picking non-AFL listed players and having AFL listed players sit out of any competition is lunacy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back