Opinion 2016 Best 22 - Best Twenty Two for Twenty Sixteen with our new Two + Two + Four

Remove this Banner Ad

It's too early for me too pick a first 22 let alone a starting 18.
Assuming they are fit, the locks are probably - Boak, Ryder, Broadbent, Ebert, Hartlett, R. Gray, Trengove, Wines, Wingard, Polec, Carlile, Schulz, Pittard, Hombsch, Westhoff and Dixon.

That leaves 6 spots available for more than a dozen quality players to fight over, a good position to be in. :cool:

There's no doubt that Port have strengthened their depth heading into the 2016 season. Late last year Sam Gray and Brandon Ah Chee made strong cases for being in Port's starting team now after a strong finish to the season. The return of Wines, Jonas, Polec and White from injury will boost the team and the new recruits in Dixon and Toumpas will have an immediate impact next year. Even though his best footy is very good, I don't think Matthew Lobbe is a certain starter in Port Adelaide's team for next year. Patrick Ryder plays his best footy as the number one ruck with support coming from either Dixon or Westhoff.

Port Adelaide's 2016 best 22

B: Jack Hombsch, Alipate Carlile, Tom Jonas

HB: Matthew Broadbent, Jackson Trengove, Jasper Pittard

C: Hamish Hartlett, Brad Ebert, Jared Polec

HF: Justin Westhoff, Charlie Dixon, Robbie Gray

F: Angus Monfries, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard

R: Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Oliver Wines

INT: Brandon Ah Chee, Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Gray, Matthew White

Depth
Kane Mitchell (31 games)
Jake Neade (34 games)
John Butcher (28 games)
Cameron O'Shea (68 games)
Paul Stewart (87 games)
Karl Amon (7 games)
Tom Clurey (9 games)
Matthew Lobbe (84 games)
Jarman Impey (35 games)
Andrew Moore (55 games)
Sam Colquhoun (16 games)
Aaron Young (42 games)
Nathan Krakouer (67 games)

Predictions
Ladder Position: 3rd-6th
Best & Fairest: Brad Ebert & Patrick Ryder
Leading Goal Kicker: Charlie Dixon (61)
Most Brownlow votes: Robbie Gray (20-25)
All-Australian contenders: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Charlie Dixon, Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Jack Hombsch
Most Improved player: Karl Amon

Last edited:

F: Jarman Impey, Jay Schulz, Chad Wingard

INT: Brendon Ah Chee, Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Gray, Matthew White

EMG: Angus Monfries, Nathan Krakouer, Matthew Lobbe

Yes I was lazy and pinched the format from WWSD (who has a good handle on things it appears) with one change.

Predictions
All-Australian contenders: Robbie Gray, Chad Wingard, Charlie Dixon, Patrick Ryder, Travis Boak, Jack Hombsch

If Dixon kicks 60+ goals and we don't finish top-4 (remembering we should get a kindly bump from the 6-6-6 fixture nonsense) we should consider leaving the AFL to take up market gardening.

For me players who need to work on consistency is crucial :
Ebert
Jonas
Broadbent / Pittard (personally we have one in team with Hartlett other half back)
Wines (bit harsh but even fit he would admit)
Dixon
Hartlett

These have good consistent years we can challenge for top 4

For me our elite players will always perform admirably - boak, Gray, Wingard, Hombsch, Polec (if fully fit), ryder

Can s Gray and achee continue on?

Cliche but we need many players to play a role when the inevitable dip in season comes. The dips have hurt us last 3 years and usually significant form slumps

Toumpas in front of Krakouer yep it's the off-season

We traded him in so he's instantly best 22, don't you know the rules?

1) The more trades the better
2) Every player traded in is best 22
3) The club with the most trades gets an A+ for their trading
4) Clubs that trade in a heap of players but keep their first round pick get an A

We traded him in so he's instantly best 22, don't you know the rules? ....
Titus O'Reily sees past the groupthink on The Monday Knee Jerk Reaction: AFL Trade Period. For example a +ve for the Crows is "... they did get Dean Gore, who I suspect isn’t quite as good as Patrick Dangerfield but he is from South Australia so will at least know the way to training ....".

This may be controversial but here is Andy Capp's round 1 2016 22

View attachment 188491

Schulzenfest's brother is typing this post to let you all know that Schulzenfest had a rage-induced aneurysm upon seeing Sam Gray named in the forward line. Your get well messages will be much appreciated.

.... Schulzenfest had a rage-induced aneurysm upon seeing Sam Gray named in the forward line .....
Yeah i saw that. But as my granddaughter sings incessantly ...

latest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FB: T. Jonas - J. Hombsch - J. Impey
HB: M. Broadbent - J. Trengove - J. Pittard
C: H. Hartlett - O. Wines - J. Polec
HF: M. White - J. Westhoff - C. Wingard
FF: J. Schulz - C. Dixon - J. Neade
R: P. Ryder - R. Gray - T. Boak
I/C: B. Ebert - B. Ah Chee - S. Gray - C. O'Shea
EMG: N. Krakouer - A. Carlile - M. Lobbe

MAN we have a lot of players whose name starts with J.
Sounds good to me.

There's no doubt that Port have strengthened their depth heading into the 2016 season. Late last year Sam Gray and Brandon Ah Chee made strong cases for being in Port's starting team now after a strong finish to the season. The return of Wines, Jonas, Polec and White from injury will boost the team and the new recruits in Dixon and Toumpas will have an immediate impact next year. Even though his best footy is very good, I don't think Matthew Lobbe is a certain starter in Port Adelaide's team for next year. Patrick Ryder plays his best footy as the number one ruck with support coming from either Dixon or Westhoff.

Depth
Kane Mitchell (31 games)
Jake Neade (34 games)
John Butcher (28 games)
Paul Stewart (87 games)
Karl Amon (7 games)
Tom Clurey (9 games)
Matthew Lobbe (84 games)
Jarman Impey (35 games)
Andrew Moore (55 games)
Sam Colquhoun (16 games)
Aaron Young (42 games)

Predictions
Not a bad effort.

We really have 3 spots that are interchangeable from your team, which indicates your pretty much spot on. Those spots are Jonas, AhChee and Toumpas. These guys are competing with O'Shea, Impey, Krak, Young, Neade and Lobbe. Whilst Clurey, Colquhoun and Amon could all bolt into calculations.

I'd like to see Hammer hovering around our attacking 50 a little bit more.

Depth
Kane Mitchell (31 games)
Jake Neade (34 games)
John Butcher (28 games)
Paul Stewart (87 games)
Karl Amon (7 games)
Tom Clurey (9 games)
Matthew Lobbe (84 games)
Jarman Impey (35 games)
Andrew Moore (55 games)
Sam Colquhoun (16 games)
Aaron Young (42 games)

Predictions
The bit that worries me about all the best 22's posted here is the lack of class coming out of the back 50. This is what makes the Hawks so good. They can always pierce through a forward press with the likes of Burgoyne, Hodge, Birchall, Gibson and Mitchell. All of which rotate through there. They never seem to have trouble getting the ball out, thus allowing them to press up apply their own pressure.

We have Pittard (ugh), Jonas (UGHH), Carlile and Trengove (Ughhhhhhhhhh), Hombsch (respectable, but not lethal) and Broadbent (the only real decent kick in our back 50). We really need to keep having Hammer, Polec and Krakouer delivering the ball out of the back 50 as much as possible.

Back six feels the hardest to sort out.
FB - Carlile
CHB - Trengove
Are probably the only two set in stone.
Leaves Hombsch, Broadbent, Hartlett, Impey, Krakour, Pittard, Jonas and O'Shea for the final four spots. No reason for a poor defense this year.

I also wonder how much White's speed is valued. May be the only thing keeping him in the side atm.

Hombsch is set in stone for me. Close to being our best defender.

The bit that worries me about all the best 22's posted here is the lack of class coming out of the back 50. This is what makes the Hawks so good. They can always pierce through a forward press with the likes of Burgoyne, Hodge, Birchall, Gibson and Mitchell. All of which rotate through there. They never seem to have trouble getting the ball out, thus allowing them to press up apply their own pressure.

We have Pittard (ugh), Jonas (UGHH), Carlile and Trengove (Ughhhhhhhhhh), Hombsch (respectable, but not lethal) and Broadbent (the only real decent kick in our back 50). We really need to keep having Hammer, Polec and Krakouer delivering the ball out of the back 50 as much as possible.

Unpopular opinion, but I agree. I rate all those players you mentioned and should all be best 22 but Krak is probably that missing link with his unbelievable foot skills. Gee we missed Polecs run along the wings last season! Addition of those 2 guys to the team will make a big difference to rebound 50s next season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back