Preview 2016 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait to see if it was just his injured foot that was making him crab-like in movement or not
As a hockey player who has shitty feet, shins, and knees, I'm fairly confident that's what it is. Ready to be proven wrong, but fingers crossed.

:rainbow::rainbow: Taking a best case scenario (not losing any players, Trenners making a miraculous comeback) :rainbow::rainbow:

B: Jetta Dunn Frost
HB: Salem McDonald Garland
C: Watts Vince Tyson
HF: Kent Pedersen VandenBerg
F: Garlett Hogan Petracca
R: Gawn Jones Viney
Int: Brayshaw Grimes Trengove Cross

Emg: Michie ANB Harmes

I just don't rate Toumpas, Lubumblecrumble or Dawes enough right now to have them in their. Howe a bit stiff but Salem and Frost would go in ahead of him.

:fire::fire: Taking a worst case scenario (Howe and Garland gone, Cross retires, Trenners never gets back on the park) :fire::fire:

B: Jetta Dunn Frost
HB: Salem McDonald Lumumblejumble
C: Watts Vince Tyson
HF: Kent Pedersen VandenBerg
R: Gawn Jones Viney
Int: Brayshaw Grimes Michie ANB

Emg: Harmes Toumpas Stretch

With the likely delistings of guys like Bail/M Jones, suddenly we look SIGNIFICANTLY better when Newton/Michie/Trengove (I want Trenners to be best 22 but that'll be a stretch for round 1) become those depth players.

Also, thinking about Salem and Kent back in the side got me like

Randy_Forum.png

A few pointers about this side. Feel free to debate

-unless we trade in some gems, Harmes cements his spot in the Best 22 if he has a good pre-season. I really hope the club elevates him off the rookie list. I am very excited by what he can produce, and given his leap and contested marking I reckon he makes a potential target on the half-forward line

-whilst we're all a bit disappointed with Lumumba and his drop off from pace and run from half-back, poor disposal, and inability to rack up the touches, defensively I still reckon he's been alright which is why he holds his spot in the team, but as a half-back, not a winger

-I'd want Trengove playing at bare minimum a month of solid VFL football before getting him anywhere near the first team. It's been such a long time

-If he ever comes back, Frost is best 22. Frost provides pace and can pinch hit in the ruck, something that we need given Gawn is still developing his tank and Dawes cannot pinch hit very well. Personally, I'd play him up forward unless Garland leaves as we are quite settled defensively

-We all hope Jimmy Toumpas makes the first team and shows his potential but he has not done enough for my liking yet to cement a best 22 spot

-If Petracca has a good pre-season he should be in Best 22, if he is as good as he is rumoured to be

-Grimes needs to work hard if he wants to be back in the side or rely on other players injuries. Still makes too many mistakes and not damaging enough by foot for my liking.

-Obviously expect the likes of Kennedy-Harris, Michie, Pederson, Toumpas, O McDonald and our top draft pick or traded in player to play games at stages throughout the season depending on injures and form etc

Only difference between this team and current list is absence of Cross, and assumed absence of Howe. Garland I'm hopeful will stay

B: Neville Jetta Lynden Dunn Colin Garland
HB: Heritier Lumumba Tom McDonald Christian Salem
C: Billy Stretch Jack Viney Dom Tyson
HF: James Harmes Chris Dawes Dean Kent
F: Jeff Garlett Jesse Hogan Christian Petracca
R: Max Gawn Nathan Jones Bernie Vince

INT: Aaron Vandenburg Angus Brayshaw Jack Watts Sam Frost

EMG: Alex Neal-Bullen Jack Grimes Ben Newton

A few pointers about this side. Feel free to debate

-unless we trade in some gems, Harmes cements his spot in the Best 22 if he has a good pre-season. I really hope the club elevates him off the rookie list. I am very excited by what he can produce, and given his leap and contested marking I reckon he makes a potential target on the half-forward line

-whilst we're all a bit disappointed with Lumumba and his drop off from pace and run from half-back, poor disposal, and inability to rack up the touches, defensively I still reckon he's been alright which is why he holds his spot in the team, but as a half-back, not a winger

-I'd want Trengove playing at bare minimum a month of solid VFL football before getting him anywhere near the first team. It's been such a long time

-If he ever comes back, Frost is best 22. Frost provides pace and can pinch hit in the ruck, something that we need given Gawn is still developing his tank and Dawes cannot pinch hit very well. Personally, I'd play him up forward unless Garland leaves as we are quite settled defensively

-We all hope Jimmy Toumpas makes the first team and shows his potential but he has not done enough for my liking yet to cement a best 22 spot

-If Petracca has a good pre-season he should be in Best 22, if he is as good as he is rumoured to be

-Grimes needs to work hard if he wants to be back in the side or rely on other players injuries. Still makes too many mistakes and not damaging enough by foot for my liking.

-Obviously expect the likes of Kennedy-Harris, Michie, Pederson, Toumpas, O McDonald and our top draft pick or traded in player to play games at stages throughout the season depending on injures and form etc

Only difference between this team and current list is absence of Cross, and assumed absence of Howe. Garland I'm hopeful will stay

B: Neville Jetta Lynden Dunn Colin Garland
HB: Heritier Lumumba Tom McDonald Christian Salem
C: Billy Stretch Jack Viney Dom Tyson
HF: James Harmes Chris Dawes Dean Kent
F: Jeff Garlett Jesse Hogan Christian Petracca
R: Max Gawn Nathan Jones Bernie Vince

INT: Aaron Vandenburg Angus Brayshaw Jack Watts Sam Frost

EMG: Alex Neal-Bullen Jack Grimes Ben Newton
The only way i could improve on this team, is to find a replacement for dawes. Whether that is pederson, frost not sure. Seems like dixon is going to the power, so forget that one

Yep we need another power forward to compliment hogan, and we need an out an out superstar mid who can do it all. Win the inside ball, run and deliver with precision on the outside, and be able to go forward and kick goals....we may already have this...petracca?

B. Nev Frost OMAC
HB. Salem TMAC White
C. Vince Prestia Brayshaw
HF. Kent Pederson Jones
F. Garlett Hogan Petracca
R. Gawn Viney Vandenberg
IC. Tyson, Dunn, ANB, Harmes, Trenners, H, Garland, Watts, Grimes

I reckon Howe, Grimes, Watts and Garland will all be on the trade table. Would be nice to see Dunn out of the backline, he costs too many goals with his brain fades. Think that White is going to be best 22 next year. He just seems very good one on one and kicks it well. Would love to see Chunk moved out of the starting mid rotation too, I think it would free him up a lot and he'd be lethal off a forward flank.

I'm seeing a real lack of Bennell, Dangerfield, Treloar, Dixon, Carlisle and Prestia... aren't we a destination club :p
To much congestion trying to sign them all at once

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought prestia has re-signed with the suns?
Roos said we would be active traders, not much left, bennell, redden, carlilse...anyone else?
Prestia was never out of contract. Is contracted for 2016 and decided to honour that contract rather than seek a trade

I thought prestia has re-signed with the suns?
Roos said we would be active traders, not much left, bennell, redden, carlilse...anyone else?

Active traders could mean players going out aswell
But im sure there are players we have been talking to who arent in the media

There was almost no noise around Tyson, Vince, Cross, Frost or even Garlett till a few days before they happened

B Jetta Frost Dunn
HB Salem TMac Garland
C Watts Brayshaw Tyson
HF Vince Dawes Kent
F Garlett Hogan Toumpas
Foll Gawn Viney N Jones
I/C (from): Lumumba, Grimes, Petracca, Vandenberg, Newton, Trengove, Harmes

Not selected: ANB, White, King, Stretch, M. Jones, Spencer, Michie, JKH, OMac

I've done this assuming that Howe & Jamar are gone, Garland & Toumpas stay, and I haven't included anybody (incl. draft picks) that we haven't actually signed or drafted yet...

I'm also assuming (not that I would have picked them) that Riley, Pedersen, Terlich, Bail, McKenzie, Fitzpatrick & Hunt will be delisted.

I realise that the team is lacking a second ruckman, but I think it's tall enough down back for Frost to play that role.

As for the guys who get dissed a lot, e.g. Heritier, Dawes, Watts, Grimes, Toumpas, they can all contribute if they're not expected to be the star of the show. I think that at their best they are all best 22, just my opinion.

Last edited:
^Why do you think Pedersen will be delisted?

Also, Jetta?

Whoops re: Jetta. Post edited. Jetta to BP, Garland to HB, Grimes to bench, ANB not selected.

Pedersen is out of contract. We can't afford to carry two average KPFs (him & Dawes). I prefer him to Dawes, but Dawes is contracted

Really hard to pick a best 22 until we know who goes out and who comes in, but the following 10 things is what I want to see happen on field:

1. Trengove given time at VFL level before playing senior football again.
2. Gawn has cemented #1 ruck, and now with the sub rule scrapped, I want to see Pederson and Frost fighting for backup ruck/forward.
3. Salem and Stretch playing off the half back line permanently. Salem looks a gem as we all know, but Stretch looks very composed and impressive IMO.
4. Oscar McDonald playing permanently down back. This will free up Frost and cover for the potential loss of Garland/Howe.
5. Tyson getting back to 2014 form. Viney has raced past him. A fit and firing Tyson would be huge in regards to us improving further.
6. Toumpas and JKH pushing for seniors and playing through the middle. Both IMO when in form are playmakers and both have been played out of position.
7. Upgrading Vandenberg and Harmes to senior list. Both will probably fight for one spot when our list is healthy. Keep White and King on rookie list.
8. Petracca being a menace in the F50. Not sure I'd run him through the middle too much next season. He can play a Stringer type role for us.
9. Kent staying healthy. His pace is crucial to our team across the half forward line. His ability to pressure and break lines was a big loss this season.
10. Whatever it takes to create more inside 50's. Hogan is a once in a generation player for this club. Find a way to get the ball to him more often, and we will win more games.

Jetta Frost Dunn
Salem McDonald Stretch
Vince Viney Brayshaw
Kent Hogan Harmes
Garlett Petracca Watts
Gawn Tyson Jones

ANB Vandenburg Pedo Trengove :rainbow:

Don't care if it isn't going to happen this is my team. Dawes, Lumumumba, Howe, Grimes traded. Garland let go. 4 runners in defense to get movement happening, a super mobile forward line around Hogan with Brayshaw and Vandenburg also rotating through. Tougher, quicker and more skilled is the theme. Hopefully we bring in a gun in trade week to push Harmes out of the 18.

Jetta Frost Dunn
Salem McDonald Stretch
Vince Viney Brayshaw
Kent Hogan Harmes
Garlett Petracca Watts
Gawn Tyson Jones

ANB Vandenburg Pedo Trengove :rainbow:

Don't care if it isn't going to happen this is my team. Dawes, Lumumumba, Howe, Grimes traded. Garland let go. 4 runners in defense to get movement happening, a super mobile forward line around Hogan with Brayshaw and Vandenburg also rotating through. Tougher, quicker and more skilled is the theme. Hopefully we bring in a gun in trade week to push Harmes out of the 18.
A first-gamer at full forward? That's Hogan-like!

A first-gamer at full forward? That's Hogan-like!
He's got the size, strength and athleticism of a classic full forward. 20 years ago it would have been the kid's assumed starting position and I still think it would still work. Was a 100KG key forward until his last 18's year where he slimmed down to 95 and went into the middle. Reckon we'd be a matchup nightmare for opponents with the team I posted and we'd lock the ball in a lot better. Plus there's Pedo there too, he is sooooo much better than Dawes.

What Id like to see!

B: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Salem McDonald M.Suckling (from Hawks)
C: Watts Jones Brayshaw
HF: Kent Pederson Vince
R: Gawn Viney H.Bennell
Int: Tyson Harmes A.Hall (from GC) VDB

Assuming Howe leaves.

Stretch and ANB will both be guns but a year dominating the VFL will do them wonders.

Frost could be in there somewhere just not sure where to fit him!

Lumumba and Grimes to start the year in the VFL to find form putting pressure on Garland to play consistently!

Trengove might come in for Harmes after finding form in the VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back