Preview 2016 Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some other interesting comments: said that Goodwin has a posse of the youngsters behind him led by Jack Viney. Building a core group all putting in extra sessions. Also said Watts hasn't bought into the new culture which is disappointing to hear but fits with the potential trade rumours.
I find this hard to believe. Never heard anything before about Watts not putting in off the field.

I find this hard to believe. Never heard anything before about Watts not putting in off the field.

I dont think hes saying that he isnt putting in, he is saying that he isnt doing 'extra'

Im getting a picture of Goodwins style, hard and ruthless on the field leaving nothing behind and being prepared to be a campaigner to get there
But still be one of the boys off the field, have a laugh and a beer etc

No coincedence Bernie had his best ever year this year with Goodwin at the club

I'm getting a picture of Goodwins style, hard and ruthless on the field leaving nothing behind and being prepared to be a campaigner to get there. But still be one of the boys off the field, have a laugh and a beer etc
If that's where it's heading, I like it.

A talented core that works bloody hard, plays for each other and for the coach, stands up for each other, has some swagger. Bring it on.

I dont think hes saying that he isnt putting in, he is saying that he isnt doing 'extra'

Im getting a picture of Goodwins style, hard and ruthless on the field leaving nothing behind and being prepared to be a campaigner to get there
But still be one of the boys off the field, have a laugh and a beer etc

No coincedence Bernie had his best ever year this year with Goodwin at the club
Watts also isn't a 'young player' anymore though. Are players like Grimes, TMac, Gawn, Jetta, etc doing extra?

Watts also isn't a 'young player' anymore though. Are players like Grimes, TMac, Gawn, Jetta, etc doing extra?

Id reckon Jetta would be, but youd have to ask old Petraccs I guess

Watts on field personality doesnt scream 'ill kill you to win a flag' like Viney so I could see the disconnect

All I know is if theres a young core being led by Jack Viney then the futures in pretty good hands

I was just about to say the same ... 1st - 4th year players doing extra sessions together is great to see ... but if a 7th year player isnt, it's nothing to be upset about. He only got back from holidays last week didnt he? If his fitness levels are dropping away when official preseason hits, then there is reason to be concerned. More than happy for the kids to be pushing the older blokes tho, can only be good for team as a whole.

Also agree regarding the culture that Goodwin seems to be driving ... there needs to be a healthy blend between the ruthless competitiveness and the mateship ... too much one way or another is no good for anyone.

Watts on field personality doesnt scream 'ill kill you to win a flag' like Viney so I could see the disconnect

All I know is if theres a young core being led by Jack Viney then the futures in pretty good hands

Don't you just love the kid. Just screams future captain doesn't he. In fact, I think I've just thought of a punishment for anyone who isn't doing enough on the training track ... 1 minute as JV's human tackling bag ...

Don't you just love the kid. Just screams future captain doesn't he. In fact, I think I've just thought of a punishment for anyone who isn't doing enough on the training track ... 1 minute as JV's human tackling bag ...

Lets all enjoy this for a moment, this is the best tackle ive ever seen I think
That puts genuine fear into the next bloke who sees Viney coming at them

I love that even Jones doesn't sticks his tackle and actually doesn't go that hard, and then Viney shows him how it's done.

Tipping JV to put fear into a few blokes next year. You come out Rd1 and nail a bloke like that in the first 5 minutes, all of a sudden everyone gets the wind up them.

Tipping JV to put fear into a few blokes next year. You come out Rd1 and nail a bloke like that in the first 5 minutes, all of a sudden everyone gets the wind up them.

Seemed to be alot more particular about where to put his head this year aswell, even though I loved it he was a little reckless early on
Picks his moments a little better now

My god, it's just so perfect ... and brilliantly sums up the type of player he is ... Weller fends him off, but it he doesn't let up, and he takes hold of him. Then, despite the fact that he's got him, he takes an extra half a second to set himself, and absolutely bury him, causing as much pain as possible. Then just pops up and saunters over to collect his football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My current view for Round 1 2016 v GWS:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Bugg TMac Melksham
C: Vince Tyson Salem
HF: vandenBerg Frost Kent
FF: Garlett Hogan Petracca
R: Gawn N. Jones Viney

INT: Brayshaw Harmes Watts Pedersen

EMG: Kennedy Newton Grimes

Anyone think the fact we shopped Dawes around means he won't have a free ride in the team anymore?

Without a doubt ... the fact they were shopping him around probably means that they were as aware as much as we were how putrid he was. I'd say if there were actually other options to play forward Dawes would have spent large amounts of time in the VFL.

I see the NAB Cup as an audition for the 2nd and 3rd tall forward roles ... and whatever key forward we draft is probably a better chance than Dawesy.

Will expect Dawes to be named at CHF for round 1 regardless. Will be a pleasant surprise if he gets picked for Casey.

My bro was chatting with Petracca on Sat night out somewhere. Truck is absolutely ready to rumble. Wasn't even drinking. He's itching to get into preseason and to play. He's all footy.

Some other interesting comments: said that Goodwin has a posse of the youngsters behind him led by Jack Viney. Building a core group all putting in extra sessions. Also said Watts hasn't bought into the new culture which is disappointing to hear but fits with the potential trade rumours.
Wow, great insight - thanks ponsdale.

Def disappointing about Watts but fantastic to hear about Petracca's situation and attitude.

Was just thinking the same. Along with a whole bunch of other stuff like 'future captain' and 'I :hearts: Jack Viney', etc.

It's that sort of drive and competitiveness being lead by the players that creates the team that is capable of real improvement.

I was just about to say the same ... 1st - 4th year players doing extra sessions together is great to see ... but if a 7th year player isnt, it's nothing to be upset about. He only got back from holidays last week didnt he? If his fitness levels are dropping away when official preseason hits, then there is reason to be concerned. More than happy for the kids to be pushing the older blokes tho, can only be good for team as a whole.

Also agree regarding the culture that Goodwin seems to be driving ... there needs to be a healthy blend between the ruthless competitiveness and the mateship ... too much one way or another is no good for anyone.
I guess from my POV, I'd be interested in whether the original 'hasn't bought into the new culture' words were Petracca's or ponsdale's...

Not sure if you're an old school gangster rap fan, but I think most Melbourne members are. There's a great version of that clip set to a Westside Connection track out there somewhere. Oh wait, there it is, down there - Jack Viney Thug Life:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back