Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Not sure if you're an old school gangster rap fan, but I think most Melbourne members are. There's a great version of that clip set to a Westside Connection track out there somewhere. Oh wait, there it is, down there - Jack Viney Thug Life:

I choose to believe Weller made noises similar to this lady

Mar 31, 2010
Hobart
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Middlesbrough FC
My current view for Round 1 2016 v GWS:

FB: Jetta Dunn Garland
HB: Salem TMac Lumumba
C: Vince Tyson Bugg
HF: vandenBerg Dawes Kent
FF: Garlett Hogan Petracca
R: Gawn N. Jones Viney

INT: Brayshaw Melksham Watts Pedersen

EMG: Kennedy Newton Grimes
I don't mind that side, but I think Lumumba and Dawes will find their way in there. I reckon like this year, Salem will line up down back to start with and Bugg will be given a run with role in the centre. Take your pick of GW$'s mids as to who gets the tag. We need the precision off half back as well. Without Salem there, no one can kick, which is something I truly thought we would attempt to fix through the trading period.

Just can't see Lafotainefumbles not being picked as well. Also think the 'sham will be in the middle for run. Wouldn't be suprised if we give Kennedy a run to test him out too. Maybe at the expense of Watts?

Overall not the worst side actually. Fairly balanced. Not too tall. There is some pace in there, some hard nuts, bit of crunt, some good talls and some good leaders with a couple of players that can tag too. It's finally a bit of a problem trying to fit them all in, and there's no Matt Jones/Robail/Terlichs anywhere near it. Class by foot is still our biggest issue I feel, but hopefully with the grunt and extra pace we have in there, our players might have a little more time on the ball than usual, which helps us enormously.

FB: Jetta 'The Brush' Garland
HB: 'Milkshakes' 'Tmac' 'The Pest'
C: 'Bombs away' 'Bernard' 'Black cat'
HF: ''Mr Energywatch' 'Pedo Bear' 'Superman'
FF: 'The illusionist' 'The Hulk' 'The Bachelorette'
R: 'Gawndog' 'The Pulse' 'The Hair'

INT: 'Gus' vandenBerg 'The Enforcer' 'Tractor'

EMG: 'Frank' 'Gravity' 'Sliding Hands'

Who the **** are 'Jetta', 'Garland' and 'Vandenberg'? I think Garland is a particularly harsh nick for a footy player

Who the **** are 'Jetta', 'Garland' and 'Vandenberg'? I think Garland is a particularly harsh nick for a footy player
I honestly could not think of anything for them

Did anyone else take a look at the AFL Coaches Assosciation All Australian team this year? I found it really interesting how they didn't use conventional positions but instead gave players 'roles' which was more relevant to the type of modern football played today.

I thought using their formula to pick a side could be interesting. Also puts up for debate the different roles we see players in.

Tall Defender 1: Tom McDonald
Tall Defender 2: Lynden Dunn
Tall/Medium Defender: Colin Garland
Medium Defender 1: Tom Bugg
Medium Defender 2: Heritier Lumumba
Small Defender: Neville Jetta
Ruckman 1: Max Gawn
Ruckman 2: Cameron Pederson (INT)
Inside Midfielder 1: Nathan Jones
Inside Midfielder 2: Jack Viney
Inside Midfielder 3: Aaron vandenBurg
Inside Midfielder 4: Angus Brayshaw (INT)
Inside/Outside Midfielder 1: Bernie Vince
Inside/Outside Midfielder 2: Dom Tyson
Inside/Outside Midfielder 3: Christian Salem
Inside/Outside Midfielder 4: Dean Kent (INT)
Inside/Outside Midfielder 5: Jake Melksham (INT)
High Half-Forward: Christian Petracca
Tall/ Medium Forward: James Harmes
Small Forward: Jeff Garlett
Key Forward 1: Jesse Hogan
Key Forward 2: Sam Frost

First thing I noticed was how tall the side suddenly was. Using this formula the following players are left out: Jack Watts, Ben Newton, Jack Grimes, Ben Kennedy, ANB, Billy Stretch

Obviously our side would be different, since we'd probably play with just the one ruck, and maybe change one of the inside/outside mid positions to a pure tagging role. Others welcome to copy the template and give it a shot.

I can only ID about half of this without effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting challenge Sellout Scully

Using my team posted last page:

Medium Defender 2: Jake Melksham
Inside/Outside Midfielder 4: James Harmes (INT)
Inside/Outside Midfielder 5: Jack Watts (INT)
Tall/ Medium Forward: Dean Kent

Highlighted changes: Moved Melksham back, dumped Lumumba, brought Watts in. Switched Harmes and Kent, but could go either way on that.

Did anyone else take a look at the AFL Coaches Assosciation All Australian team this year? I found it really interesting how they didn't use conventional positions but instead gave players 'roles' which was more relevant to the type of modern football played today.

I thought using their formula to pick a side could be interesting. Also puts up for debate the different roles we see players in.

Medium Defender 2: Heritier Lumumba
Inside/Outside Midfielder 4: Dean Kent (INT)
Inside/Outside Midfielder 5: Jake Melksham (INT)
Tall/ Medium Forward: James Harmes

First thing I noticed was how tall the side suddenly was. Using this formula the following players are left out: Jack Watts, Ben Newton, Jack Grimes, Ben Kennedy, ANB, Billy Stretch

Obviously our side would be different, since we'd probably play with just the one ruck, and maybe change one of the inside/outside mid positions to a pure tagging role. Others welcome to copy the template and give it a shot.
Vanders and Brayshaw don't really play as inside midfielders and Kent is definitely not an I/O mid (I'd swap him with Petracca). Also at this stage Watts would be the go to tall/medium forward rather than Harmes who pushes up there through the midfield. But otherwise this looks good. I'll need to be convinced that Petracca is best 22.

Mar 3, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Not sure if you're an old school gangster rap fan, but I think most Melbourne members are. There's a great version of that clip set to a Westside Connection track out there somewhere. Oh wait, there it is, down there - Jack Viney Thug Life:

Hey that's my video you campaigner! :p

Jesslc

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My bro was chatting with Petracca on Sat night out somewhere. Truck is absolutely ready to rumble. Wasn't even drinking. He's itching to get into preseason and to play. He's all footy.

Some other interesting comments: said that Goodwin has a posse of the youngsters behind him led by Jack Viney. Building a core group all putting in extra sessions. Also said Watts hasn't bought into the new culture which is disappointing to hear but fits with the potential trade rumours.
what an absolute load of crap. Yeah I'm sure the no games player was telling your brother how the 100 gamer isnt buying into the culture. what a smear campaigner. and he's not joining in on weights? surely nobody is buying this rubbish.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
what an absolute load of crap. Yeah I'm sure the no games player was telling your brother how the 100 gamer isnt buying into the culture. what a smear campaigner. and he's not joining in on weights? surely nobody is buying this rubbish.

We all knew it was fake as soon as he mentioned Watts not putting in as much effort as other players. Obvious trolling.

If anything, it's more likely that a young guy was happy to be recognised and ran his mouth a bit. Wouldn't be properly media drilled yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Overall not the worst side actually. Fairly balanced. Not too tall. There is some pace in there, some hard nuts, bit of crunt, some good talls and some good leaders with a couple of players that can tag too.
Love it. A bit of crunt. I choose to think you mean a campaigner with a bit of grunt, as opposed a typo. Good word

I think he was saying that Watts wasn't doing the extra sessions - but it sounds like that's more a thing the young guys are doing anyway.

I imagine Nathan Jones and Bernie Vince probably aren't doing extra sessions with the young guys either.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I imagine Nathan Jones and Bernie Vince probably aren't doing extra sessions with the young guys either.

Nathan Jones and Bernie Vince don't have anything to prove, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back