2016 - Best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Butler and Ellis will not be outs. And from all accounts Hutch is having a great preseason.
Ezy is an AA level full back, walk up start
Jetta was swapped for a best 22 player, he won't be playing WAFL
Redden was swapped for our first round pick, be surprised if there isn't a particular role in mind for him
Duggan is one of the best young talents we've had for a while, Simmo loves him and he is in great shape
Lycett comes in for Sinclair, I don't think we'll be risking Gov in the ruck for 30-40% game time

Out of those five, who doesn't come in?

And if Hutchings, Butler and Ellis are staying in then who comes out? I can see one of Butler or Ellis staying in for team balance at most.

There is going to be soooo much offended on here if Duggs starts 2016 coming through the WAFL. I love the kid, but I could see it happening. Hopefully it doesnt. If Masto is playing the Magoos in R1 I would be shocked and very excited.

Yeah to be fair I'm sick of people saying it was our game plan and now it known we'll struggle. These people are missing the point. Simpson developed that plan after 1 year of coaching. So what if they find something to combat it or everyone is doing it. I 100% back Simpson to come up with something new this year.
Its a load of phanboi numpties who think that Gerard Healys bit on the couch has exposed this plan of ours that is the recipe for all the good footy we play. Simmo is a gun and will tinker with things.....Hawks have played the same way for few years now. I am going out on a limb and reckon Simmo is the best coach in the game (or will be when he is done).

2 weeks away from the NAB Cup here is my best 22 and depth/ development players

Full Back line: Sharrod Wellingham ~ Eruc Mackenzie ~ Brad Sheppard
Half Back line: Will Schofield ~ Mitch Brown ~ Shannon Hurn

Brown has only recently worked his way back into my 22 at the expense of Ellis. I'm an unashamed fan of Brown and have been for years but with the growth of Schofield into that KPD in 2015 it's now a hard call on deciding if Brown is best 22 or not. Mackenzie picks himself no worries otherwise its similar to the best back 6 from 2015.

Wings: Elliot Yeo ~ Andrew Gaff

Looking forward to seeing Yeo more as a midfielder / half-forward with the addition of Mackenzie and possibly Brown to the 22, whereas he needed to fill tall defensive holes in 2015.

On the back of an All Australian 2015 Gaff could easily start on the ball with Priddis and Shuey but I still think he does his best work as an outside ball winner and clean user of the ball.

Centre: Matt Priddis

Has his knockers outside and inside the club but his value to the team can't be underestimated. Tackling machine and gives his all week in, week out.

Followers: Nic Naitanui ~ Jack Redden ~ Luke Shuey

Naitanui and Shuey pick themselves. Our number 1 ruck and most explosive midfielder need to be in the midfield. Shuey is fast making a name for himself as a dominant midfielder in the competition not just inside West Coast and has rode the wave of success well after being a midfielder who could be tagged out of the game more frequently previously.

Looking forward to what a fit Jack Redden brings to the team and his on ball assistance for Priddis and Shuey. Quality player who if fit could be one of the recruits of the season and a reason for continued success.

Half Forward line:
Lewis Jetta ~ Jeremy McGovern ~ Mark LeCras

Jetta's an interesting case in what he brings to the team and where he fits in. Can play anywhere between HB, wing and HF but he has the potential to be that outside running set up wingman when Yeo drifts / rests forward from his wing.

With Gov your robbing the back half to strengthen the forward half but with his size and marking strength, particularly overhead, he is a prime candidate for CHF. Can be a swingman and for that reason Mitch Brown may be nudged out of best 22 calculations for a more versatile Butler or Ellis. I like Gov at CHF but, JD'S a ripper but not a KPF in terms of his height.

LeCras I hope we see a little more in the midfield with his efficiency by foot. Kennedy, Darling and Cripps would love the service from LeCras but to me he seems to be a guy who would spend more time wanting to play forward and kicking or setting up goals.

Full Forward line: Jack Darling ~ Josh Kennedy ~ Jamie Cripps

I love what JD brings to the team but I think a role change in playing as a deeper third forward is warranted. Would need to gain some more versatility and fitness but my ideal role for him would be like what Gunston does at Hawthorn, and what Howe has been brought into Collingwood to do. There's a certain name for the role which escapes me but it's basically a more mobile third tall.

JK picks himself. No need to explain things here.

Cripps has been a great inclusion since crossing over from the Saints. Couldn't get settled in the 22 initially but looks a lot more settled now. Complements the taller forwards well.

Interchange:
Dom Sheed ~ Chris Masten ~ Liam Duggan ~ Scott Lycett

Sheed's a beauty. Long term star of the team and along with the younger brigade of 2014 and 2015 draftees will form a major part of the future midfield. Would love to see him hit the score board more but. Potential to be a very dangerous resting forward.

Masten's a make or break player. Comes across as a guy who is happy and content in what he brings to the table and needs that real rocket from behind to make him realise he isn't set in the best 22. Bit like Wellingham, dropped in 2014 - realised that he wasn't a set best 22 player and as such worked hard to have a much better 2015 season. Been in the system long enough and should be settled in the 22 but to be honest he is probably the least settle midfielder in the team apart from Redden. I'd arguably even go with a fit Duggan before him.

Duggan I'm a big fan of and needs to make his way into the 22 when fit.

Lycett's opportunity is now. 6th season on the list and ruckman generally take longer to develop so his time is now. Injury interupted 2015 which led to him missing out on that second ruck role to Sinclair. Pressure from underneath in Jonathan Giles so don't get to comfortable there.

DEPTH and EXPERIENCE (team of strongest 25 - 35)

Tom Lamb - Depth as a medium sized forward who can lead up the ground and be a target for the kicking backs.

Xavier Ellis - His experience will be invaluable at both levels, AFL and WAFL but you can never fully trust his body to hold up

Jonathan Giles - Putting massive pressure on Lycett.

Sam Butler - Experience and a cool head as a smaller defender but with Wellingham and Sheppard playing successfully down back his job may be to mentor the younger defenders like Nelson, Cole and Mutimer.

Mark Hutchings - GF player. If Redden isn't fit than Hutch is an inside mid option.

Fraser McInnes - Real swingman, can play at both ends and ruck if necessary. Good story of persistence and patience in a big man.

Tom Barrass - Great exposure for him in 2015 and is really the next available tall defender at WAFL level.

EXPERIENCE

Josh Hill - Can't see him as part of the future. Offers great experience and a suitable replacement for a Cripps, LeCras or Jetta inside 50.

Patrick McGinnity - Same as Hill. Where does he fit? Depth inside mid or tagger probably.

Jamie Bennell - Overtaken at selection as that small defender by Wellingham and Sheppard down back. Would prefer to see Nelson developed as well over putting games into JB. Think Cole will force his way ahead to of JB to.

Malcolm Karpany - Not really experienced but been on the list longer than the most recent draftees and 2014 draftees. Defining year ahead.

DEVELOPMENT PHASE

Luke Partington - Looking forward to seeing his NAB Cup form. Experience against men at SANFL level and will add a bit to the East Perth midfield. Worth investing into.

Thomas Cole - Experience at VFL level for Geelong but is a little behind the other defenders. One out of him or Nelson will be developed more as a mid, the other a HBF in my opinion as they have been drafted as similar HBF/ mid types.

Jackson Nelson - Great exposure for him in 2015. Like Duggan I'm bullish about Jackson's future. Shame with Cavka but.

Kurt Mutimer - Coming from TAC Cup will need time. Reseving judgement.

Matthew Allan - I was really excited by us getting him in the 60's at the draft with a pick I expected we'd pass on. Had my eye on him with my third pick for a bit leading into the draft and we got him. Give him time to develop his body and game against men but long term I genuinly believe we've got ourselves a ripper in Allan.

Jordan Snadden ## - IF we get a rookie upgrade for losing Cavka to retirement I'd love to see Snadden upgraded. We can go with the AFL tried and tested options of either Colledge, Tunbridge or Lucas or give a kid a go who is showing something in the pre season and can provide another outside run and carry option long term.

Don't think Brophy is ready for upgrading yet but Adamson may be another possibility if he can string some good footy together at the Royals. Waterman currently on LTI list but again would be a viable inside option when fully fit again.

If they go tried and tested I think Brandt Colledge would be the man

Last edited:
Obviously the 22 changes to suit who we are playing and their match ups.

Guys like Butler, Nelson and Ellis will get heavily rotated all year.
Where as Priddis, Nic, Gaff, Shuey, JK, Emac, Lecras etc play every game.
McInnes and Giles may also get games if Lycett doesn't show up.
Lamb and Snadden right up there for a few games and Hutchings will play his fair share through out the year.

Best 22.

Schofield Mackenzie Sheppard
Hurn McGovern Wellingham
Gaff Priddis Masten
LeCras Darling Jetta
Cripps Kennedy Hill

Naitanui Shuey Redden

INT: Lycett Sheed Duggan Yeo

Brown has only recently worked his way back into my 22 at the expense of Ellis. I'm an unashamed fan of Brown and have been for years but with the growth of Schofield into that KPD in 2015 it's now a hard call on deciding if Brown is best 22 or not. Mackenzie picks himself no worries otherwise its similar to the best back 6 from 2015.

Looking forward to seeing Yeo more as a midfielder / half-forward with the addition of Mackenzie and possibly Brown to the 22, whereas he needed to fill tall defensive holes in 2015.

On the back of an All Australian 2015 Gaff could easily start on the ball with Priddis and Shuey but I still think he does his best work as an outside ball winner and clean user of the ball.

Has his knockers outside and inside the club but his value to the team can't be underestimated. Tackling machine and gives his all week in, week out.

Naitanui and Shuey pick themselves. Our number 1 ruck and most explosive midfielder need to be in the midfield. Shuey is fast making a name for himself as a dominant midfielder in the competition not just inside West Coast and has rode the wave of success well after being a midfielder who could be tagged out of the game more frequently previously.

Looking forward to what a fit Jack Redden brings to the team and his on ball assistance for Priddis and Shuey. Quality player who if fit could be one of the recruits of the season and a reason for continued success.

Half Forward line:

Jetta's an interesting case in what he brings to the team and where he fits in. Can play anywhere between HB, wing and HF but he has the potential to be that outside running set up wingman when Yeo drifts / rests forward from his wing.

With Gov your robbing the back half to strengthen the forward half but with his size and marking strength, particularly overhead, he is a prime candidate for CHF. Can be a swingman and for that reason Mitch Brown may be nudged out of best 22 calculations for a more versatile Butler or Ellis. I like Gov at CHF but, JD'S a ripper but not a KPF in terms of his height.

LeCras I hope we see a little more in the midfield with his efficiency by foot. Kennedy, Darling and Cripps would love the service from LeCras but to me he seems to be a guy who would spend more time wanting to play forward and kicking or setting up goals.

I love what JD brings to the team but I think a role change in playing as a deeper third forward is warranted. Would need to gain some more versatility and fitness but my ideal role for him would be like what Gunston does at Hawthorn, and what Howe has been brought into Collingwood to do. There's a certain name for the role which escapes me but it's basically a more mobile third tall.

Cripps has been a great inclusion since crossing over from the Saints. Couldn't get settled in the 22 initially but looks a lot more settled now. Complements the taller forwards well.

Interchange:

Sheed's a beauty. Long term star of the team and along with the younger brigade of 2014 and 2015 draftees will form a major part of the future midfield. Would love to see him hit the score board more but. Potential to be a very dangerous resting forward.

Masten's a make or break player. Comes across as a guy who is happy and content in what he brings to the table and needs that real rocket from behind to make him realise he isn't set in the best 22. Bit like Wellingham, dropped in 2014 - realised that he wasn't a set best 22 player and as such worked hard to have a much better 2015 season. Been in the system long enough and should be settled in the 22 but to be honest he is probably the least settle midfielder in the team apart from Redden. I'd arguably even go with a fit Duggan before him.

Lycett's opportunity is now. 6th season on the list and ruckman generally take longer to develop so his time is now. Injury interupted 2015 which led to him missing out on that second ruck role to Sinclair. Pressure from underneath in Jonathan Giles so don't get to comfortable there.

Tom Lamb - Depth as a medium sized forward who can lead up the ground and be a target for the kicking backs.

Xavier Ellis - His experience will be invaluable at both levels, AFL and WAFL but you can never fully trust his body to hold up

Sam Butler - Experience and a cool head as a smaller defender but with Wellingham and Sheppard playing successfully down back his job may be to mentor the younger defenders like Nelson, Cole and Mutimer.

Mark Hutchings - GF player. If Redden isn't fit than Hutch is an inside mid option.

Fraser McInnes - Real swingman, can play at both ends and ruck if necessary. Good story of persistence and patience in a big man.

Tom Barrass - Great exposure for him in 2015 and is really the next available tall defender at WAFL level.

EXPERIENCE

Josh Hill - Can't see him as part of the future. Offers great experience and a suitable replacement for a Cripps, LeCras or Jetta inside 50.

Patrick McGinnity - Same as Hill. Where does he fit? Depth inside mid or tagger probably.

Jamie Bennell - Overtaken at selection as that small defender by Wellingham and Sheppard down back. Would prefer to see Nelson developed as well over putting games into JB. Think Cole will force his way ahead to of JB to.

Malcolm Karpany - Not really experienced but been on the list longer than the most recent draftees and 2014 draftees. Defining year ahead.

DEVELOPMENT PHASE

Luke Partington - Looking forward to seeing his NAB Cup form. Experience against men at SANFL level and will add a bit to the East Perth midfield. Worth investing into.

Thomas Cole - Experience at VFL level for Geelong but is a little behind the other defenders. One out of him or Nelson will be developed more as a mid, the other a HBF in my opinion as they have been drafted as similar HBF/ mid types.

Jackson Nelson - Great exposure for him in 2015. Like Duggan I'm bullish about Jackson's future. Shame with Cavka but.

Matthew Allan - I was really excited by us getting him in the 60's at the draft with a pick I expected we'd pass on. Had my eye on him with my third pick for a bit leading into the draft and we got him. Give him time to develop his body and game against men but long term I genuinly believe we've got ourselves a ripper in Allan.

Jordan Snadden ## - IF we get a rookie upgrade for losing Cavka to retirement I'd love to see Snadden upgraded. We can go with the AFL tried and tested options of either Colledge, Tunbridge or Lucas or give a kid a go who is showing something in the pre season and can provide another outside run and carry option long term.

Don't think Brophy is ready for upgrading yet but Adamson may be another possibility if he can string some good footy together at the Royals. Waterman currently on LTI list but again would be a viable inside option when fully fit again.

Good assessment. Agree with most of this i can see Barrass taking Browns place or Schoey playing that spot and Butler coming in at HB.

Ezy is an AA level full back, walk up start
Jetta was swapped for a best 22 player, he won't be playing WAFL
Redden was swapped for our first round pick, be surprised if there isn't a particular role in mind for him
Duggan is one of the best young talents we've had for a while, Simmo loves him and he is in great shape
Lycett comes in for Sinclair, I don't think we'll be risking Gov in the ruck for 30-40% game time

Out of those five, who doesn't come in?

And if Hutchings, Butler and Ellis are staying in then who comes out? I can see one of Butler or Ellis staying in for team balance at most.

Out of those 5 one is back man and FB is a position neither of those 2 hold. The question is is Jetta better than Ellis on the HBF (the only new person that could play that position) and is Butler better than Schofield in the back pocket. I think Butler and Ellis are best 22 in those spots but thats just me.

Half Forward line:

Interchange:

EXPERIENCE

DEVELOPMENT PHASE

Holy xxxx now that is an argument!

I like it.

Yeah to be fair I'm sick of people saying it was our game plan and now it known we'll struggle. These people are missing the point. Simpson developed that plan after 1 year of coaching. So what if they find something to combat it or everyone is doing it. I 100% back Simpson to come up with something new this year.

I think one of the other posters (Dark Sharks iirc) put it perfectly, Hawks gameplan is well known but stopping it physically is completely different to planning to negate it.

WC needs only to perfect their gameplan not so much create new ones each year. We already discovered in a final against Hawks our game plan is superior if we execte properly

Good assessment. Agree with most of this i can see Barrass taking Browns place or Schoey playing that spot and Butler coming in at HB.

That's a fair call. Barrass is a beauty and the more we can keep developing him the better.

I'm absolutely torn about it, massive fan of Brown and would hate to see him outside of the 22 but the facts are he hasn't played AFL for the best part of 11 months, coming back off an ACL reco so is in the same boat as Mackenzie but doesn't have the right of passage at selection that Ezy does and with Schofield's development in that role in 2015 there is now legitimate reasoning for Schofield at CHB and Brown in the 2's with Butler coming into the 22 for the sake of another experienced head and good foot disposal down back. Can't dare to leave MB out but

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's a fair call. Barrass is a beauty and the more we can keep developing him the better.

I'm absolutely torn about it, massive fan of Brown and would hate to see him outside of the 22 but the facts are he hasn't played AFL for the best part of 11 months, coming back off an ACL reco so is in the same boat as Mackenzie but doesn't have the right of passage at selection that Ezy does and with Schofield's development in that role in 2015 there is now legitimate reasoning for Schofield at CHB and Brown in the 2's with Butler coming into the 22 for the sake of another experienced head and good foot disposal down back. Can't dare to leave MB out but
We all have our favorite players ! haha
I'd love to be proved wrong but i just cant see Brown fitting into our new defensive set up unless he plays 1v1 lock down defender but Emac has that title sown up.

The differences between Barearse and Brown can simplified by virtue of their strengths:

Brown has more pace, better turning circle and greater strength;

Barass reads the play better, holds his feet better and can intercept mark more effectively.

It will be down to the team we play that determines who plays out of the two.

The differences between Barearse and Brown can simplified by virtue of their strengths:

Brown has more pace, better turning circle and greater strength;

Barass reads the play better, holds his feet better and can intercept mark more effectively.

It will be down to the team we play that determines who plays out of the two.

I think you're kidding yourself on browns turning circle. he's pretty quick in a straight line and whilst very strong his body work is horrid hence he regularly gets pushed off the ball and why he has a looks like tarzan plays like jane reputation.

I think you're kidding yourself on browns turning circle. he's pretty quick in a straight line and whilst very strong his body work is horrid hence he regularly gets pushed off the ball and why he has a looks like tarzan plays like jane reputation.
Agreed. Barrass is pretty athletic.

his body work is horrid hence he regularly gets pushed off the ball and why he has a looks like tarzan plays like jane reputation.

Hit the nail there Phil. For a powerful body it is arguably Mitch's biggest weakness and probably the thing frustrates me most in his play. If he could get that down pat he'd be as much of a lock it in selection at CHB, as Ezy is at FB. He's got the strength but can still get moved off the ball to easily by a power forward because of either a lack of body work or not engaging the body at the right time, sometimes late and sometimes to early.

Barrass much more athletic than Mitch and reads the play better. Not sure if 2016 will be a break out year for Barrass yet, got to remember 2015 was his first decent fist at a full WAFL and AFL season since being drafted but 2017 I really like his chances of breaking into the best team as that third tall down back.

Having someone like Darren Glass alongside Tom will improve his game further still.

See the game against Hawks when he played against Buddy, turning circle is good it's just that he doesn't keep his feet well enough in the contest.

That is why Simmo has played Brown on smalls, because his turning circle and pace are solid and minimises chance of getting pushed off the ball etc.

See the game against Hawks when he played against Buddy, turning circle is good it's just that he doesn't keep his feet well enough in the contest.

That is why Simmo has played Brown on smalls, because his turning circle and pace are solid and minimises chance of getting pushed off the ball etc.
Do you think he has worked on that in the last two preseason. Since 2014 Brown has got bigger and bigger in the two preseasons after and Emac has shrunken. Maybe its been a plan from simmo to have Brown play on the number one forwards and have emac attacking. That was a bit evident at the 2014 when emac started rebounding and intercepting more and brown playing more on the monster forwards and actually doing well.

Found this a while back. This is not the exact heat map of mastens year last year but a rough guid to where he had his disposals last year. I posted this in masto's thread but i did write something completely different. However, after reading what Ilikeit and few others said about Masto being a link man, this map actually makes a little bit of sense.

View attachment 211408

Masto, those teeth marks are beginning to look infected, you should get that checked out

Half Forward line:

Interchange:

EXPERIENCE

DEVELOPMENT PHASE

Its funny that Hill gets hit with the 'can't see him being part of the future' after a career best year while Masten (who is the same age) gets another year to prove his worth after 3 years of being average and we recruit players who can play his position in the off season.

No doubt next year Masten will have a breakout year at 28yo after training the house down in the preseason.

Its funny that Hill gets hit with the 'can't see him being part of the future' after a career best year while Masten (who is the same age) gets another year to prove his worth after 3 years of being average and we recruit players who can play his position in the off season.

No doubt next year Masten will have a breakout year at 28yo after training the house down in the preseason.

Fair call, these sort of these are there to generate discussion and they do. FWIW I agree with you regarding Masten, just can't bring myself around to picking Hill but. Hill is obviously rated by the selection committee but with the inclusion off HF of Jetta he was the one to make way.

What really frustrates me with Hill is his inconsistency. Goes missing to easily, so does Masten but i feel in Hill its more pronounced.

what about Wellinghams turn around last year? Your potraying masten to have been a mcginnity all his career. Masto played a role for the team last season more than anything.
Hill will probs start in the side but his work rate is average and with superior players such as jeta, shuey and yeo , as well as a full fit darling spending time in the forward line, hill will be forced out. However, hill seems to only ever perform when the heat is on and could lift his game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back