Fantasy 2016 BigFooty Mock Draft Board

Remove this Banner Ad

Rules

• Draft commences ASAP (once fuey gets us going)
  • Only post your selection (including a write-up and a photo of your selected player) - all discussion will be in the discussion thread
  • As noted, please post the name, position and college of the drafted player, together with a photo and a short write-up
  • At the very least, tag the next person up but more preferably, send a PM (tag system isn't reliable enough)
  • Fill in the player's name, position and college in the Google Docs spreadsheet
  • We'll start off with eight hours on the clock commencing from when the previous person makes his/her pick. We were very generous last year, so the intention is that we'll be more strict enforcing the clock. BPA will be selected in the event a pick is missed by the mock GM.
  • If you think you can't make your deadline, send me a PM with your preferred players. Unless otherwise notified, I will treat them in order of preference.
  • Only trades involving picks will be allowed.
  • If an NFL trade occurs in reality, the big board will be adjusted accordingly.
  • Compensatory picks cannot be traded (they will be next year, in accordance with the pending change to NFL rules)
  • We're aiming to finish a seven round draft, if possible. If we stick to the clock as closely as possible, we should be able to achieve a full seven round mock draft.

Forfeited picks

• New England Patriots forfeited its first round draft pick as a result of "Deflate-Gate".
  • Kansas City Chiefs forfeited its third round draft pick as a result of a violation of the NFL's anti-tampering policy.
  • Los Angeles Rams forfeited its fifth round draft pick as a result of its participation in the 2015 supplemental draft.
  • Atlanta Falcons forfeited its fifth round draft pick as a result of piping artificial crowd noise into the Georgia Dome.
Trades
  • Chicago Bears receive: Jets first round pick (pick 20) and Jets second round pick (pick 51); Jets receive: Chicago Bears first round pick (pick 11) and Bears fifth round pick (pick 150).
  • New England Patriots receive: Arizona Cardinals second round pick (pick 61) and Jonathan Cooper; Arizona Cardinals receive: Chandler Jones
  • New England Patriots receive: Chicago Bears sixth round pick (pick 182) and Martellus Bennett; Chicago Bears receive: New England Patriots fourth round pick (pick 127).
Link to draft Spreadsheet

Last edited:
1. OT Laremy Tunsil, Mississippi

th

Hall of Fame beckons. Has the talent, has the technique, and has been a star since high school, all through college and will continue to do so through his professional career. Titans are desperate to solidify the O-Line, having a couple of bookend tackles for the first time in a few years to help propel the offense to the next level. Has never completed a season, but no major injury concerns. Maybe slight character concerns, but not enough to knock him from the #1 pick. Come on down, Laremy.

Chris25

Oct 30, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
West End Redbacks, Cleveland Browns
Pick 2 - Carson Wentz (QB from North Dakota State, 6'5" and 237lbs)

Wentz2.jpg

I won't get too fancy. I considered picking a certain linebacker, and I probably would have if the Browns had have made a move for a QB through trade or FA by now. But they haven't, and we need a QB desperately. And here it is.

Outside of Wentz and Goff, I don't think there is much to get excited about in this draft group. And of the two, I think Wentz has the higher ceiling. Goff should be a solid pro and capable of being a starting QB, but I view him somewhere in the Cousins to Dalton range - someone who is good enough to reach the playoffs, but not actually go any further. For me, Wentz just has the extra size and playmaking ability to be a difference maker and a potential franchise guy at the position. And for once, I think the Browns have the coaches in place to actually develop such a prospect. Just tell me that photo doesn't scream 'face of a franchise'.

catters078

Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Dallas Stars, Chargers
Pick 3 - San Diego Chargers - Deforest Buckner - DE - Oregon

1458244.jpg

San Diego has a big need to upgrade its Defensive line, Buckner who was a PAC 12 defensive player of the year adds a strong pass rush . Buckner had 16 tackles for loss and 9.5 sacks in his senior season.

At 6'7 with a long arm span and tremendous athleticism, Buckner will stand opposite Cory Liuget on the Chargers Defensive line.

The chargers, despite having a solid group on young line backers, ranked 24th for sacks and tackles in the league last year, so more pressure up front is needed. With Kendall Reyes headed to washington, Buckner immediately upgrades a big position of need

Last edited:
With the fourth pick in the 2016 NFL mock draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Joey Bosa, DE, Ohio State.

tumblr_nsb6ckecmD1uso5gio1_1280.jpg

The Cowboys doubled down in edge rushers last season, signing Greg Hardy in free agency and drafting Randy Gregory in the second round after Gregory fell due to character concerns. Unfortunately, the move didn't really pay dividends, with Greg Hardy publicly and repeatedly making a nuisance of himself to teammates and coaches, and Gregory landing himself a four game ban to start the 2016 season thanks to a violation of the NFL's substance abuse policy.

The Cowboys could have gone in one of many different directions with this pick, with UCLA's Myles Jack and FSU's Jalen Ramsey under serious consideration, while the thought of taking Jared Goff to learn at the knee of Tony Romo for a season or two was also enticing.

However, the Cowboys chose to select a player who fills what is a fairly immediate need and also happens to be one of the best talents in the talent pool available this draft period.

Bosa played three seasons with the Buckeyes, and totaled 26 sacks and 51 TFLs during his college career. He was constantly double-teamed last year and, as a result, his sack numbers dipped to just five sacks last year, but he still managed to land 16 TFLs and was such a force that he opened up opportunities for teammates.

Named as a Big Ten Smith-Brown Defensive Lineman of the Year, Bosa announced prior to the Fiesta Bowl that he would turn pro in 2016, but his college career ended on a down note after he was ejected from the Bowl game for targeting - if anything, that probably solidified Jerry Jones' decision to draft Bosa!

Bosa has developed for himself excellent core strength with flexibility to match. He has explosive acceleration and natural lateral quickness with the athletic swim moves to match to blow past blockers. However, he doesn't have the quick-twitch capacity to play with consistent explosion and will need to work on his technique to best NFL-standard blockers.

Bosa is the son of former first round pick John Bosa (selected 16th overall by Miami in 1987) and the nephew of Eric Kumerow (a 16th overall pick by the Dolphins in 1988).

The Cowboys expect that Marinelli will be able to exploit Bosa's talents to their fullest, and to form a one-two impact off the edge with Demarcus Lawrence.

aussiedude on the clock with the Jacksonville Jaguars

Feb 7, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers, Stanford
With the 5th pick in the 2016 NFL Mock Draft the Jacksonville Jaguars select.
Myles Jack, OLB, UCLA
0ap3000000537028.jpg

After suffering a knee injury and deciding to sit out the remainder of the 2015 season in order to be healthy for the NFL draft and not cost himself money. Myles Jack has the ability to be a 2 way player and helped UCLA in the run game at times in 2013 and 2014 including a 4TD game Vs Washington in 2013. But Jacks real talent is as a OLB. He is not one of the flashy OLB's who get all the sacks but he is a great coverage OLB who can play zones and take athletic RB's one on one with the new pass catching RB's.

Myles Jack can also help Jacksonville call more exotic defenses and allow the defensive backs to be more aggressive. Jack is a more athletic version of Panthers 2015 first round draft pick Shaq Thompson.

drd23 and the Ravens are now on the clock

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
With the 6th overall pick, the Baltimore Ravens select Jalen Ramsey, DB FSU

jalen-ramsey-ncaa-football-florida-state-miami-850x560.jpg

Ramsey is widely regarded as a 'plus' athlete at a good size for a DB with the versatility to play all over the secondary having previously played FS, 'Star' (hybrid DB position similar to that which made Tyrann Mathieu a Heismann candidate at LSU) and then CB.

Ramsey has displayed great range when playing FS as a centre-fielder, a knack for timing DB blitzes well, good man-coverage skills and overall great instincts when reading the play. His skills as a boundary corner are somewhat underrated by some as most of his splash plays have come when playing either Safety or 'Star'.

The major knocks on Ramsey are a potential lack of ball skills as evidenced by only having 3 INTs in his college career and his tendency to attempt to run around oncoming blockers in the running game due to a weakness in shedding blocks.

He has been compared to many of the best safeties to have played in the NFL in the last 10 years such as Ed Reed, Eric Berry and Charles Woodson.

In my opinion, Ramsey is one of the top 3 prospects in this draft and could conceivably be taken at #1 so to have him fall to the Ravens at 6 is a blessing. Given the recent signing of Eric Weddle to play FS, I anticipate that Ramsey would be used as a CB before potentially moving to FS in a couple of years - hopefully fulfilling his potential All-Pro ability at both positions.

Mad Prophet is on the clock

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
NY Giants, Oregon Ducks
With the 7th overall pick, the San Fransisco 49ers select Jared Goff, QB, California

pnyTgyjvj

I think that Jared Goff is the type of quarterback Chip Kelly would like to have as his guy to develop as a franchise signal-caller. Whilst Goff is not really a threat in the running game, he does excel while under pressure. Goff also he throws with anticipation quite well.
I can’t see Kaep playing out the 2016 season in San Francisco, and we know from his time in Philly that Chip Kelly likes to have 'his guy' which means Goff is an easy choice at No. 7.

Shupe is on the clock

Last edited:
Philadelphia Eagles take - Vernon Hargreaves, CB, Florida.

I didn't want to hold this up because I'll be out for much of tomorrow, so I'll post up my thoughts later.

TennisPlayerAndy you're up next.

TennisPlayerAndy

Not a tonne of overlap with the Buccs needs IMO, so this should be okay.

Not the pick I wanted to make, because it just isn't much fun taking OT Ronnie Stanley Notre Dame.

Two fifths of the line were booted already, and we've been talking to a lot of FAs so it's obvious what we're aiming to do at the moment to protect the end of Eli's career/start of the next QBs. Stanley at Left Tackle, Flowers at his more natural Right Tackle, Pugh pushed in to Left Guard helps the line a lot.

I'm still ambivalent towards it with the Flowers pick last year, and would personally prefer taking a Treadwell to oppose OBJ, but plenty of deep WR talent this year with not many blue chips, so...

RB is helped through the line improving, not the RB

TennisPlayerAndy

Blacky

With the ninth pick in the 2016 BigFooty Mock draft, the Tampa Buccaneers select Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson.

Shaq-Lawson-Clemson-NFL-Draft.jpg

I flip-flopped here between Kevin Dodd (also of Clemson) and Lawson, but their mock GM would have gone with Lawson here, so that's good.

Lawson led all-comers in the FBS with 24.5 tackles for loss and 12.5 sacks in the 2015 for Clemson. He blew the doors off Ronnie Stanley (taken at pick #10 by the Giants in the mock draft) with a seven-tackle (including 3.5 TFLs) in Clemson's game against Notre Dame in October 2015.

Lawson packs power into a compact 6'3", 269lb frame, which makes him equally effective against the run and pass, with Lawson able to explode out of the stance. He has quick, strong hands to create push with his upper-body strength and the agility to move his legs and lower body to change directions based on his reads. He can set the edge and play contain, as required.

Lawson is scheme-versatile and will fit into both a 4-3 defence (which is publicly preferred by new Bucs' DC, Mike Smith) as a defensive end and as an outside linebacker in a 3-4 defence.

Last edited:
Jets trade their first round pick (20th pick overall) and their second round pick (51st pick overall) in exchange for Chicago's first round pick (11th pick overall) and Chicago's fifth round pick (150th pick overall).

Jets select Paxton Lynch, QB, Memphis.

img25345971.jpg

Lynch is a quarterback who has his flaws, but in this class is worth the risk trading up and taking ahead of the QB-needy Rams. Having won the starting job at Memphis back in 2013, Lynch has steadily improved his passing numbers. Having completed just 58.2% of his passes in 2013 with a nine TD/10 interception ratio, Lynch completed 62.7% of his passes (for 3031 yards) with 22 touchdowns against nine interceptions. In 2015, he completed 66.8% of his passes on his way to 3776 yards, and threw for 28 touchdowns against just four interceptions.

While Lynch isn't ever going to be a real dual-threat QB, he has enough mobility to make plays on the ground and he has the arm strength to thread the ball into tight windows. More importantly (given the players who have quarterbacked the Jets over the past few seasons), Lynch is good enough to not stare down receivers and he has the ability to read defences.

Lynch also has the ability to chuck the ball downfield and allow his receivers to make plays. This is important given that the Jets invested a high pick in Devin Smith last season in order to take advantage of his downfield ability to make plays, only for Smith's style to not really mesh with Ryan Fitzpatrick, who has trouble throwing the ball tightly downfield.

Regardless of whether the Jets get a deal done with Fitzpatrick, there's now a legitimate option for the Jets at QB into the future (Bryce Petty shows promise, but as a fourth round draft pick who didn't play a pro-style offence at college, he doesn't really count) and allows the Jets to cut ties with Geno Smith.

gaskin and the New Orleans Saints are now on the clock.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With the 12th pick in the 2016 Draft, the New Orleans Saints select

A'Shawn Robinson, DT, Alabama

Report-card-by-Kevin-C.-CoxGetty-Images_umvbr5.jpg

The Saints defensive line horribly lacks depth and Robinson should be able to come in and be a starter week 1. He is a great size and a strong tackler who can play both DT and DE. I would say he is the best DT available and it would be stupid to pass him up.

Buzzasto DaSilva and the Dolphins are up.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
With the 13th pick of the 2016 NFL mock draft, the Miami Dolphins select- Ezekiel Elliott, running back, Ohio State.

elliott.jpg

The Dolphins could do with a big-time running back to take the pressure off Ryan Tannehill and I think Elliot can do that. I think Gurley was a masterstroke by the Rams last season and Elliot can provide a similar lift to the Dolphins. I think he will thrive and have a massive career down in Florida and despite Miami going after Anderson (who ended up getting matched by Denver), I think this is a move they could make on draft day- and makes sense given the small trade down for Maxwell.

Chewy316 , it is Raiders time.

Jul 1, 2014
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Ducks, Yankees
Sorry for taking longer than the 8 hours, I've only just seen this now.

With the 14th pick in the 2016 NFL draft, the Oakland Raiders select Darron Lee, Linebacker, Ohio State.

6_3270887.jpg

Lee is a playmaker in every sense of the word. A 3-down linebacker who fits a glaring need filling that weak side on the second level of the Raiders D. He's the exact type of player that Del Rio and Norton Jr want: fast, aggressive, someone who 'flies' to the ball. Will start from day 1 and provide a lot of splash plays for a D in need of playmakers to help Khalil Mack.

Ram-Man you are now on the clock

Apr 29, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
LA RAMS
With Pick 15 of the 2016 NFL National Draft

The LOS ANGELES RAMS Select

Will Fuller, WR, Notre Dame

Height: 6-0.
Weight: 186.
Arm: 30.75.
Hand: 8.25.
40 Time: 4.35.

USATSI_8811504_168380823_lowres.jpg

Was going to go for Paxton Lynch as he has a big arm and good head on his shoulders but taken by the Jets in a sneak attack. ;)

Rams need to get an offense basically - have Tavon Austin and Gurley as ticks - question marks over the rest.

Tossed up between Treadwell and Fuller for a little while -- but have seen Fuller a few more times and am a fan of the fighting irish and their school. Treadwell doesn't get great separation -- reminds me more of a TE which Coach Fisher has a reluctance to use.

Fuller was a big play-maker for the Fighting Irish and is super quick and a deep-threat receiver in this draft class.

Can get good separation and has great leap and can catch.

Dixie Flatline and the Detroit Lions are up.

Last edited:
With the 16th pick in the 2016 BigFooty Mock Draft, the Lions draft Jack Conklin, OT, Michigan State.

635789798599634871-SMG-20150912-jla-bc2-10.jpg

(Wore no. 74 for MSU)

The easy pick here would have been to take Laquon Treadwell to fill a Megatron-sized hole in the receiving corps. But let's face it, nobody will replace Megatron right out of the gate and the Lions' offensive line has been a mess, notwithstanding the fact they have invested two first round picks in the line over the past four seasons.

Stafford was sacked 89 times over the last two seasons (44 in 2015, 45 in 2014), compared to 23 times in 2013 and 29 times in 2012, so it's clear that in order to improve the offence, an influx of talent on the offensive line is necessary, but it is one thing that the Lions haven't yet prioritised in free agency.

Conklin went to college locally, which is a bonus. At 6'6", 308lb, Conklin looks the part of an NFL offensive lineman. He was a late bloomer and wasn't highly recruited out of his high school. However, he worked his way into a scholarship at MSU, starting 12 games at left tackle last year, earning 1st team All-Big 10 and All-America honours along the way.

Conklin is well-built with terrific core strength and a low centre of gravity that keeps him balanced through contact. He boasts a wide base with lower body power to control the point of attack. He has the technique to steer defenders away from the running back as a run blocker. He's smart and instinctive, knows his protection duties and uses his eyes to pick up extra pressure. He plays to the whistle and will always look for someone to block until the play is dead. He is a three-year starter with 38 games started under his belt. He should have the ability to play at either left tackle or right tackle.

However, Conklin can allow rushers into his body, he isn't a particularly agile lineman and he can struggle to adequately block speed rushers. He projects closest to Andrew Whitworth of the Bengals.

The Lions should, however, be able to plug him into their offensive line from day 1.

quotemokc and the Falcons are on the clock.

Jul 19, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons/Winnipeg Jets
With the 17th pick in the 2016 BigFooty Mock Draft, the Atlanta Falcons select Sheldon Rankins, DT, Louisville.

temp012016_Sheldon_Rankins-003--nfl_mezz_1280_1024.jpg

The Falcons are in dire need of help at linebacker but with Darron Lee being snatched away from them they would be foolish to pass on arguably the best interior rusher in the draft. A teams linebackers are only as good as the linemen in front of them and Rankins has the ability to to improve the Falcons worst defensive position from the front.

With Falcons not quite set at DT after releasing Paul Soliai and more than likely cutting Tyson Jackson it leaves only 34 year old vet Jonathan Babineaux, Ra'Shede Hageman, Grady Jarrett and undrafted Joey Mbu to man the line.

Dan Quinn covets are strong 4 man front that can stop the run and rush the passer and Rankins is currently a better run stopper than pass rusher and has shown to be improving in the latter over his career thus far.

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 299lbs
Arm Length: 33 3/8"
Hands: 9 3/8"

srsa.jpg

Powerfully built lower half with very good strength. Is extremely compact, but still flexible and very athletic. Everything he does is explosive. Fires into blockers and can jolt and displace them with a combination of leverage and power. Strong base provides excellent balance to battle against double teams or down blocks. At times, will absolutely own finesse blockers. Elite foot quickness for interior defender. Will be difficult to hook or crossface for NFL offensive linemen because of his lateral quickness. Plays with powerful, violent hands. Can play in 2-gap or 1-gap scheme. Plays through the blocker reading and shedding on time to make tackles against the run. Loose, explosive hips that allow him to win edge battles and turn the corner as pass rusher and potentially excel in twist game. Highly productive pass rusher in each of the last two season. Great instincts to diagnose and shutdown screens.

Offers the power to line up in the "A gap" and take on multiple blockers, but also has the lateral quickness to stunt and loop around bodies to close on the pocket. Displays terrific effort and is a determined chaser to catch ball carriers from behind away from the line of scrimmage.

giphy.gif

Broken

Last edited:
INDIANAPOLIS COLTS
Round 1 Pick 18

REGGIE RAGLAND, ILB, ALABAMA
6'1" 247 lbs
0ap3000000517161.jpg

The Colts would probably be hoping that a OT falls to them at this point to give Andrew Luck more protection than he has been getting.
The Colts still could take an OT at this point, but I figure if Ragland is still here the Colts might take him for the reason that Jerrell Freeman has just headed off to the Bears and D'Qwell Jackson and Nate Irving are facing early season suspensions, leaving the Colts very thin at ILB.
In what is a weak draft for the ILB position, a player like Ragland stands head and shoulders above the rest of the ILB class and should give a team in need at that position a big advantage.

Ragland should be able to step in to the starting lineup from Week 1. Not afraid to get dirty Ragland is a very good run defender which will be a major asset to the Colts in their 3-4 defense. He has good football instincts, loves to tackle and a good feel for the game.
raglandbackfieldstop.gif

His pass coverage is sound when playing zone, but could get found out in man coverage, but with his ability he should be able to work on those flaws. He also lined up as a pass rusher for Alabama which allows the Colts some versatility with him.
raglandint.gif

larkis

Buffalo Bills - Round 1 - Pick 19

Noah Spence - Eastern Kentucky

64990_h.jpgqitokwT7hc1Ja.pagespeed.ce_.LHicmQ79_v.jpg

The Bills need pass rushers and Noah Spence is the best pass rusher left in the draft. Not as physically gifted as the other pass rushers available however he makes the best use of his tools. Can be used as a 4-3 DE or a 3-4 OLB depending on the direction the Ryans take the defence. Works hard, plays hard and it was evident in the Senior Bowl that he has turned a corner and is a new man. Considering he has hit rock bottom once and I am confident he should be drafted around here.

Blacky

WASHINGTON REDSKINS
Round 1, Pick 21

JARRAN REED, NT/DE, Alabama
6'3" 307lbs
Goodyear+Cotton+Bowl+Alabama+v+Michigan+State+Cles8vkmpFjl.jpg

With the release of Jason Hatcher, the unlikely re-signing of Pot Roast and an aging Kedric Golston the DT spot becomes a big need for the Redskins. The DL position is quite deep in this draft and there were a few tempting prospects, but in the end the Redskins would probably go with a selection that is ready to start with their 21st pick.

Reed is ready to start. He is an ox, very strong, has good balance and footwork and, while his stats don't scream out, was a very influential defensive presence for Alabama. He has great lateral movement and is determined in chasing down runners. He won most one-on-one battles against blockers and as a result he was double teamed a lot in college, but should find himself freed up a bit in the pros. At least to start with.

Reed needs to improve his pass rush and his use of hands, which can be taught. It's his strength, power and agility which make him stand out here. If he can occupy blockers, it should enable guys like the Kerrigan, Smith, Gallette a better chance to disrupt plays and hopefully give our secondary more of a chance to not resemble toast.

bgt2110

Pick 22 HOUSTON TEXANS select :

LAQUON TREADWELL WR, OLE MISS

6'2
221 LBS

TREAD-650x342.jpg

Building the offence is the focus for the Texans in 2016, new QB, new RB and now a WR ready to step up and play from round 1 2016. With a young and dynamic WR corps of Hopkins, Treadwell, Strong and Shorts it should hopefully set up the Texans for an exciting season.

Well-built for the position with a muscular upper body and sleek definition. Long arms and large hands to create a very large catching radius. Natural plucker with vacuum hands away from his body, snatching anything in his general direction. Outstanding on 50/50 balls, showing above average body control and hand-eye coordination, Treadwell would be a great pick up at number 22.

Sven up next

Remove this Banner Ad

Back