2016 Brisbane Lions starting line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Freeman and Gardiner will start,and Cutler. Hanley and Rich are not backmen, and both are weak overhead.

I can see Rich battling to hold a place,if he doesn't improve on last year by a big margin, specifically his defensive work,hardness in close and run.That may stir the possum,but I think Daniel needs to stir himself.
Any chance of Cian Hanley getting a game next season?

No Andrews and Freeman is ahead of the pecking order than Close.
In regards to freeman being ahead of close i disagree. Having been down to training to watch them train freeman was restricted to light drills and i think some slow laps about 4. Close finished all training and was only just behind nick robertson in the pritty intense running drills.

In regards to freeman being ahead of close i disagree. Having been down to training to watch them train freeman was restricted to light drills and i think some slow laps about 4. Close finished all training and was only just behind nick robertson in the pritty intense running drills.
Close is a much better endurace runner so l would expect Close to smash Freeman in that matter. Hopefully Freeman isn't injured. But in regards to actual game play, l believe (So does Browny) that Freeman is a better goal kicking forward than Close.

I really like Close, but he hasn't used that endurance in the games we have seen so far and he hasn't gotten too many goals, Freeman, while struggling to run out games, just finds a way to get multiple goals in a game.

I havent seen them train as l live across the country, so l can only go on what l have seen in the matches, Freeman, imo, has shown more as a goal kicking forward than Close.

Close is a much better endurace runner so l would expect Close to smash Freeman in that matter. Hopefully Freeman isn't injured. But in regards to actual game play, l believe (So does Browny) that Freeman is a better goal kicking forward than Close.

I really like Close, but he hasn't used that endurance in the games we have seen so far and he hasn't gotten too many goals, Freeman, while struggling to run out games, just finds a way to get multiple goals in a game.

I havent seen them train as l live across the country, so l can only go on what l have seen in the matches, Freeman, imo, has shown more as a goal kicking forward than Close.
Fare enough. Me personally would love to see close play CHB.

If close has built his strength while out injured he should be able to use his endurance better. He was always sapped because he actually enjoyed wrestling and body contact, that impacted his running. If he wasn't coming off a knee reco I would say this is the year where he should be able to start competing physically on a regular basis without losing his running, but it's just so hard to say. He straight lines it anyway so I don't think it will impact him to much and still expect him to play at least 15 games and probably impact at least 5 of them with 2 or more goals.

Swear i didn't see Andrews in that guy's lineup. Thats why l said "No Andrews" because l would think he would be best 18 from the the way he played last season. I was wrong tho as l see that he did play him there.

I think you misunderstood my post a bit. You think l said that Andrews and Freeman are ahead of Close. What l actually meant is "No Andrews" (me surprised that he wasn't in there) and "Freeman are ahead of Close" 2 different sentences in the 1 sentence if you understand.

I would personally be surprised if Close gets in ahead of Freeman as we struggle to kick a winning score. Walker will help but we can't just rely on him. Freeman has shown that he can kick multiple goals and l think Close has only kicked 2 in a game iirc. I dont think that we would have all 3 as it would leave us too tall especially with McStay a likely chance to stay in. Personally l can see Schache doing better at NEAFL level as Close doesnt tend to get many goals in the NEAFL when l saw his stats couple years ago. So l would think Schache would be in competition with Close to get in the team
Fair enough. Maybe splitting sentences up a bit might help misunderstandings like this.

You know a squad is starting to have depth when you can no longer fit your favourite players in your own team.

No place for C Beams, Close or Lester for me.

Gardiner. Merrett. Andrews
Dawson. Clarke. Cutler.

Hanley. DBeams. Rich.
Martin. Bastinac. Rockcliff

Bell. Freeman. Christensen
Green. Walker. Taylor.

Zorko, Paparone, Robinson, N Robertson

EMG - McStay (needs to lift work-rate) Jansen (will surprise plenty this year) and Mayes (needs to be played forward of centre/wing or we lose him next year IMO)

I agree that it is very hard to fit Lester in our best lineup. Probably the same with Harwood. They will probably both get a chance through injury during the season.

Both seem to be getting somewhere but just need time on the paddock in the firsts or seconds to really get some consistent form on the board. I thought we saw glimpses from both but they might be getting to now-or-never time if they want to become established in the team rather than depth players.

Big preseason from both hopefully.

The pressure for starting 22 spots will be fairly intense on nearly every line I think.

Any chance of Cian Hanley getting a game next season?

I suspect he'd be aiming for 2017 debut wise, but based on his brothers success and depending on midfield injuries, he might get a crack later in the year.

You know a squad is starting to have depth when you can no longer fit your favourite players in your own team.

No place for C Beams, Close or Lester for me.

Gardiner. Merrett. Andrews
Dawson. Clarke. Cutler.

Hanley. DBeams. Rich.
Martin. Bastinac. Rockcliff

Bell. Freeman. Christensen
Green. Walker. Taylor.

Zorko, Paparone, Robinson, N Robertson

EMG - McStay (needs to lift work-rate) Jansen (will surprise plenty this year) and Mayes (needs to be played forward of centre/wing or we lose him next year IMO)
Must say, I like the look of that team WA Lion, a little bias on my part I must admit!
Lol!!

Watched the replay of the doggies game and man freeman is just a natural forward. He knows where the goals are, probably the most impressive play of the game for me is where he brings the ball to groud grabs it and makes a split second hand ball over the top to I think green who sprinted into an open goal. His quick hands, decision making and vision for such a big guy is so impressive. He's got a massive future ahead of him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watched the replay of the doggies game and man freeman is just a natural forward. He knows where the goals are, probably the most impressive play of the game for me is where he brings the ball to groud grabs it and makes a split second hand ball over the top to I think green who sprinted into an open goal. His quick hands, decision making and vision for such a big guy is so impressive. He's got a massive future ahead of him.
Just needs to get his body right. Down there on monday and he looked so outta condition its not funny. If only we could swap freemans footy brain into Closes impressive body then we could have another J brown haha

Just needs to get his body right. Down there on monday and he looked so outta condition its not funny. If only we could swap freemans footy brain into Closes impressive body then we could have another J brown haha

A fully fit Freeman has so much potential. To go from a bulging disc injury to a badly rolled ankle in one year, only to play seniors for the final 6 games, says a lot about his upside regardless of his fitness. If he gets through the pre-season completely unscathed, he is a lock at FF and will start taking some really strong marks.

Freeman and Gardiner will start,and Cutler. Hanley and Rich are not backmen, and both are weak overhead.

I can see Rich battling to hold a place,if he doesn't improve on last year by a big margin, specifically his defensive work,hardness in close and run.That may stir the possum,but I think Daniel needs to stir himself.
I hope so :) then we can try bring him back home

I hope they can just work Rich into a Sam Mitchell type role... plays his most consistent game production wise playing HB with Mid cameos
can see richy playing that type of role but nowhere near the level of sam mitchell, no shame in that mitchell one of the best mid fielders of this generation, his vision and awareness are awesome, kicks left and right equally well. can't recall but has richy ever kicked a ball on his right foot?:)

A fully fit Freeman has so much potential. To go from a bulging disc injury to a badly rolled ankle in one year, only to play seniors for the final 6 games, says a lot about his upside regardless of his fitness. If he gets through the pre-season completely unscathed, he is a lock at FF and will start taking some really strong marks.
Me myself am.very bullish about freeman. Potential galore. Can not only read the flight of the ball but can take a grab. He is just hobbling around at the moment at training that's all. Only completed about 40% from what i seen.

can see richy playing that type of role but nowhere near the level of sam mitchell, no shame in that mitchell one of the best mid fielders of this generation, his vision and awareness are awesome, kicks left and right equally well. can't recall but has richy ever kicked a ball on his right foot?:)
He did once this year. Sky ball. Not sure what game but can remember almost falling off my chair.

yeah completely different players in a lot of ways. I think Rich can play the role and have a better chance at breaking any tags which will let him start using his foot skills which although being one sided are far better then Mitchell. I think left footers get away with being one sided more then right footers although Im not sure why...just seems to be the trend

In Nick Robertson's press video today he mentioned how paparone came back fitter then last season. Now last season he was pretty damn fit!!! Great news, and Ive always said Paparone is a lock in our defense as no one else in the team provides what he does with height, running speed & endurance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back