2016 Brisbane Lions starting line up

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah completely different players in a lot of ways. I think Rich can play the role and have a better chance at breaking any tags which will let him start using his foot skills which although being one sided are far better then Mitchell. I think left footers get away with being one sided more then right footers although Im not sure why...just seems to be the trend
Left footers seem to be more accurate. And there just plain harder to pick. I remember trying to tackle a guy i just presumed was a right footer and he just blitzed me. Now pro footballers should know there opponents but how ofter have we seen players blocking the wrong way.

yeah completely different players in a lot of ways. I think Rich can play the role and have a better chance at breaking any tags which will let him start using his foot skills which although being one sided are far better then Mitchell. I think left footers get away with being one sided more then right footers although Im not sure why...just seems to be the trend
when on song richy has elite foot skills on his left agree. but would debate you on the far better than mitchell part of your posting. i rate mitchell right up there in the best few mid fielders of the last 15 years, ablett, judd, voss and black. his vision is elite and can pick out a target short, medium or long distance on either foot.

Left footers seem to be more accurate. And there just plain harder to pick. I remember trying to tackle a guy i just presumed was a right footer and he just blitzed me. Now pro footballers should know there opponents but how ofter have we seen players blocking the wrong way.
that's why mitchell is so good, he can kick on either foot equally. if you watched him play for the first time i don't think you could pick his preferred foot.

yes play very similar and both have great vision. i would say mitchell has a better non dominant foot than blacky.
Nah i disagree. Blacky was elite on his right. With hands and kicking. Mitchells not so good at the right handed handballs. Black at his best is better then mitchell at his best on both sides. Not discounting how good mitchell is. Just sometimes can forget how lethal black was. (Watching the 09 Elim final now)

I agree that it is very hard to fit Lester in our best lineup. Probably the same with Harwood. They will probably both get a chance through injury during the season.

Both seem to be getting somewhere but just need time on the paddock in the firsts or seconds to really get some consistent form on the board. I thought we saw glimpses from both but they might be getting to now-or-never time if they want to become established in the team rather than depth players.

Big preseason from both hopefully.

The pressure for starting 22 spots will be fairly intense on nearly every line I think.

I think that's almost an understatement AFL. May I throw the switch to vaudeville for a mo and give a possible reserves team ? By the process of elimination, if anyone can be bothered, they can deduce my best 22,however my point is that we are building a bloody strong list . Here is a potential reserves premiers side !

Mcguiness Merrett jansen

Beames Paine Robertson

Watts Mayes Bastinac

Bewick Hipwood Clayton

Mcgrath Hammelman Schache

West Lester Keays

Smith etc.

Minimum of 10 guys disputing spots in the top 22.

Nearly as excited about our potential reserves team as I am the seniors!

Andrews Clarke Paparone
Dawson Merrett Rich
Hanley D. Beams Christensen
Zorko Walker Taylor
McStay Freeman Green
Martin Rockliff Bastinac
INT - Bell Robinson Mayes Cutler

Beasley Skinner McGrath
C. Beams Gardiner Harwood
Bewick Lester Keays
Mathieson Close C. Hanley
West Schache Hammelmann
Smith Robertson Jansen
INT - Watts McGuinnes Clayton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone think Hipwood could be our next ruck? I think he may be developed into a Mitch Clark clone when he was solo rucking with us a few years back.

I dont want to see him play 5 games a year and then breaking down at 25, personally.

Anyone think Hipwood could be our next ruck? I think he may be developed into a Mitch Clark clone when he was solo rucking with us a few years back.
He's got KPD written all over him imo. Tantalizing prospect when combined with Andrews, put a hard nut stopper like Gardiner in there and that line looks terrific to me

One of the reviews of hipwood I read said ruck could be where he ends up. Think the writer was maybe looking at our list and noting it might fill a need for us and help us with fitting in all the talls.

The highlights I saw of hipwood seemed to me to really mirror what we saw of Andrews this year in defence, a lot of sliding across to a pack and taking a clean defensive mark. Obviously has shown a bit forward too.

With Schache, Andrews, freeman, hipwood and skinner all 197cm+ we'd be silly not to be trying to develop one into as a minimum a high quality second ruck, and potentially as a first ruck option for when Martin leaves (potentially at the end of next year)

With Schache, Andrews, freeman, hipwood and skinner all 197cm+ we'd be silly not to be trying to develop one into as a minimum a high quality second ruck, and potentially as a first ruck option for when Martin leaves (potentially at the end of next year)

Skinner. :)

not saying schache should be the one to be trained up as a ruckman. but he is one of 5 players of that height under 20 on our list. throw in Walker who is 196cm and the other talls as mentioned its a lot of talls but no recognised ruckman under the age of 28 and only 2 recognised ruckman on the list in a position that generally has a relatively high injury rate (west and Martin both ~29/30)

FB: McStay. Merrett. Andrews.
HB: Zorko. Clarke. CBeams.

C: Hanley. DBeams. Rich.
Foll: Martin. Bastinac. Rockcliff.

HF: Bell. Schache. Christensen.
FF: Green. Walker. Freeman.

Interchange:
Robinson. Paparone. Robertson. Taylor.

5+ games in 2016:
Gardiner. Close. Mayes. Harwood. Cutler. Dawson. Mathieson. Keayes. Hipwood. McGrath. Jansen.

The Occasional Game
Beasley. Bewick. Lester. West. Evans.

FB: McStay. Merrett. Andrews.
HB: Zorko. Clarke. CBeams.

C: Hanley. DBeams. Rich.
Foll: Martin. Bastinac. Rockcliff.

HF: Bell. Schache. Christensen.
FF: Green. Walker. Freeman.

Interchange:
Robinson. Paparone. Robertson. Taylor.

5+ games in 2016:
Gardiner. Close. Mayes. Harwood. Cutler. Dawson. Mathieson. Keayes. Hipwood. McGrath. Jansen.

The Occasional Game
Beasley. Bewick. Lester. West. Evans.
love the look of the depth we are starting to build, the players you've left out show that. i thought at first glance why no mayes harwood cutler dawson in your side all of whom i really like but then i thought who do i leave out? maybe c.beams and n.robertson but i like them as well. great problem to have though. i wouldn't have him there but i like your lateral thinking with zorko at HB to provide some run. an observation, if we can keep our experienced guys on the field for the majority of the season, ie. zorko merrett hanley d.beams rich rockliff walker robinson and christensen, we have great depth in the youth department to back them up, we will surprise a lot of pundits how well we go in 2016. 8 to 10 wins not out of the question if we get a good run with injuries with those experienced guys.

It really is going to be interesting which players rise to the challenge of extra competition for spots. With the benefit of hindsight it really would be tough for Adcock to secure a place in the team for very long. Redden as well would have had some decent competition fighting for his type of role.

Leppa's comment to the 1 - 4 year players about getting a head start on the others is a pretty valid one when you consider how many players are on the fringes of first 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back