News Coaching Thread: The Hardwick Era

Remove this Banner Ad

All this true...also changed his name from Jarrod to Max when he was 24 as he liked his middle name better.

His team mates loved him and it was said he would run through a brick wall if you asked him to.

Think a less flamboyant Campbell Brown, but a better bloke.

Funnily enough I was speaking to someone involved in the Geelong footy club who worked with him last year on Wednesday and it came up that Rooke wasn't there this year and they didn't know what he was up to.

Gazza would love having him there, the players will love him but I don't know much about his actual coaching ability though

The Player

Where he's from and what he's about

Wow that first video..
Everything he did was so desperate..
So many bone crunching tackles
And bump/spoils mid air
Don't think I've seen Gold Coast Suns do anything so desperate since Browny got fired.
Didn't realise he had as much skill either really slotting goals from everywhere

At 3.12 in the first video loved it!

From what I can tell this role is newly created and hasn't existed in the past.

There's a hell of a lot of investment in player development and training going on at the moment. I like it.
Cross sport training isn't a new concept and I'm sure Michelle will be great in her role but, given the connection with her partner, I think it would be great to see the club hire Cathy Freeman to run a few running sessions. You want to talk about inspiring players, look no further than Catherine Freeman.

Aker in mix for Dons gig but Suns, Lions the dream
Driving back from his job interview at Essendon yesterday on a career path that he hopes may one day bring him back to Queensland, Jason Akermanis reckoned he had made his case.

Akermanis hopes to find out as early as tomorrow if he has the Bombers job.

Part of him wants to come back to Queensland to coach one day. "Brisbane or the Gold Coast, now they have a team - it will always be a place where I could coach aat some stage," he said.

"That part of me is always there because of my family there. Depending on the timing and what's going on, I always thought I'd be back in Queensland at some stage," he said.
Not sure the Suns would go for it but he's open to it. I suppose he does have the Ashcroft connection.

Aker in mix for Dons gig but Suns, Lions the dream

Not sure the Suns would go for it but he's open to it. I suppose he does have the Ashcroft connection.
Would love Aker at the Suns, but it'd be perfect for him to return to the Lions.

I think we all knew that the club made a conscious decision to move Charlie on, but to see it in writing from an actual member of staff is pretty damning.

Good on the club for having the balls!

Imagine how good he'd be if he was professional then
And looked after his body and didn't booze!!

I think we all knew that the club made a conscious decision to move Charlie on, but to see it in writing from an actual member of staff is pretty damning.

Good on the club for having the balls!
Rocket Eade conducting the clean up ASAP. It's almost the old Robert Walls approach back in the Bears days. Bears players thought they were going to the Gold Coast for a party and Walls had no issue setting them straight. That's probably a big reason the Bears failed. Walls was ahead of his time in terms of professional expectations. Rodney Eade was the reserves coach at the Bears in Walls' first year as senior coach in 1991 and he stated in his book that he learned a lot from Walls in that year. Eade is really the perfect guy for the top job at the Suns. He's lived it as a player and coach. He came from an extremely successful program at the Hawks to the worst of the worst with the (Gold Coast) Bears. He then went on to coach at successful 90s teams like North and Sydney which was followed up by a successful tenure at the Bulldogs. He knows and understands the party lifestyle associated with the Gold Coast and knows when someone is fair dinkum about their footy. He's also not afraid to pull the trigger if he recognises a player isn't serious, hence Charlie and Harley being moved on 12 months into his reign.

Knowing what we know now, perhaps the club getting Hinkley to talk to Bennell mid-season was in fact them trying to pull off a double trade with Port?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just to expand on the Robert Walls comparison, this is what he had to say about the Bears back in 1991:
When I went there you had a group, some of them, that weren't fair dinkum. You had others like Roger Merrett, Michael McLean, Scotty McIvor, Johnny Gastev and Martin Leslie who were absolutely fair dinkum. Half way through the first year (1991) we hadn't won a game and there were a few players that I had cut. Got rid of at the halfway mark and Roger Merrett came up to me. He hadn't said much to me in this first year and Roger came up to me and said 'I can see you're fair dinkum, I'll give you 100% of what I've got left.' That meant a lot to me.
Merrett was a dual-premiership player with Essendon prior to joining the Bears so he obviously understood what it took to climb the mountain. I do wonder if Gaz has had a similar conversation with Rocket. Anyway, Eade would have witnessed that situation in 1991 and perhaps even had some of those players playing in his reserves team that year when they went on to win the reserves premiership. You can see the similarities forming here but what's important now is that he gets the most out of his talented players that may not be as focused. This is what Michael Voss had to say about Walls' coaching and how he whacked him into line:

He was relentless. In hindsight, I didn't enjoy some of his coaching. He was brutal but there was two things I learned from him, and probably more. Professionalism and work ethic. He taught us to train like nothing else. We'd do three v threes, two v twos, one v ones. We'd play Saturday - get beaten. We'd show up Monday and train three hours, train three hours on Wednesday and train three hours on Friday. I think that fundamental training that he taught us over that period of time absolutely, no doubt, set us up for later years.

He always tested (my spirit) in some ways. In 1994, I received some strong feedback from him. Very strong feedback. I was there with crutches and I was in the corner. I'd only played two mintues so I thought I was free from a spray but I was actually the only bloke that got one. 'Vossy, you promise a lot but you deliver very little. You come in here with your hat on backwards and you're looking at your muscles in the mirror - you train Wednesday, son.' I missed 12 weeks.

I hurt my knee and got glandular fever. One of the reasons I got glandular fever is because I trained so hard to respond to him. That conversation to me was the catalyst of why I won the Brownlow in 1996 and why I won the best and fairest in 1995. That stung me bad, real bad. I thought 'you know what, he's right.' I hated it, but he was right. I wasn't working hard enough and I'd taken my eye off the ball a little bit in terms of where my football sat and my training. He just re-aligned me with a big whack.
We all know the great player Voss went on to become and it's pretty similar to Gary Ablett Jr's situation at Geelong. Gaz's teammates told him he wasn't training hard enough and they believed he could be their Chris Judd (best player in the AFL at the time). Gaz later admitted that he wasn't working hard enough and they were right. 12 months later, Geelong win the flag and Gaz wins the best and fairest. Two years after that Gaz becomes a Brownlow Medalist and a two-time premiership player.

The point I'm trying to get across here is that I think there may be some talented players at the Suns that need a Voss/Ablett-like whack to reach their potential. IMO Jack Martin is probably the guy that needs it the most.

Mate just txt me that Jamason Daniels, one of the guest coaches that joined Rocket a couple of weeks ago, has officially joined the Suns in a development coaching role. Guess the club will confirm it soon if true.

Edit: He may be joining as a playing captain/development coach of our reserves team.

Last edited:
Mate just txt me that Jamason Daniels, one of the guest coaches that joined Rocket a couple of weeks ago, has officially joined the Suns in a development coaching role. Guess the club will confirm it soon if true.

Edit: He may be joining as a playing captain/development coach of our reserves team.

Your mates name isn't Skav is it?
He has sold us up s**t creek before haha

Could be good for us, not great news for the team he walked out on so close to the season.

Don't know how many more clubs will be sending us their coaches after this.

EDIT: that Blighty money certainly is stretching pretty far in resourcing up the club

Going to be interesting if his form doesn't stack up.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall when someone says your football sucks. Sorry mate.
And whether he'd keep his coaching gig if he wasn't playing etc.

You would have to think that they have got him as a coach first and top up player as distant second, which is probably the inverse of what they did with Downie. Not to disparage the Goulborne Valley league but it isn't VFL.

Obviously Rocket knows him and likes him from past dealings and having worked with the NEAFL coach before it seems like it was meant to be.

I'm not sure what opinion I'm meant to hold about Jamason Daniels, I know nothing about him. I'm just kind of disappointed we didn't get a set shot coach. We all know Tom Lynch badly needs it. Jarrad Grant and Jack Martin could have also benefited from it.

Really interesting that we now have a dedicated captain for the reserves. Last year we'd rotate Tyrone Downie, Keegan Brooksby, and sometimes Mitch Hallahan in the role. With J. Daniels, we now have a dedicated and consistent source of leadership in the team, at the expense of leadership experience for the listed players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back