Position 2016 Defenders

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note: last year saw a lot of important GCS players absent in the midfield which saw KK stand up as one of the few talented players, I feel the return of JOM, Swallow, Gablett will seriously affect his scoring potential and I can see him dropping back to maybe 80-85, he'll be a top scorer but not this year for me, who knows the inclusion of these guys could conversely improve his scoring as GCS will no doubt be more successful

True.

I thought having a full midfield would be better for him?
He seemed to do his best work whilst playing on the HBF rather than pushing into midfield, teams appeared to shut him down at times, which won't be as likely when they have to mind all the returning mids + Malceski...

Most of the top scoring defenders play for teams with strong midfields and better teams, so I think an improvement across the board for GC would be a positive thing?

Do the hawks really need him to spend much time in the midfield. Cant see that being much of a fixture considering he is one of the more effective rebounding defenders in the game. Why mess with a winning formula.

I agree. Would I prefer him as a rebounder than trying to win his own ball in the middle.

Reckon Doch will take over this year as #1 rebounding defender.
yeah I agree, but Simpson is still a gun and gets enough of the ball to average around 90

Gun. Mr Reliable. 88-95 averaged locked in
Gun? He's a fn seagull. Will score 50 odd to 3qtr time & then rack up possessions in final qtr when games done and dusted.

Gun? He's a fn seagull. Will score 50 odd to 3qtr time & then rack up possessions in final qtr when games done and dusted.
and that's why he's been SC gold in the back for a few years now

and that's why he's been SC gold in the back for a few years now
Key word 'was'. I'll bet you can pick him up at a later stage between 400-450k. Why pay premium price for dat?

Key word 'was'. I'll bet you can pick him up at a later stage between 400-450k. Why pay premium price for dat?
I agree that his price will drop, but he is still a reliable pick though. I'm not picking him btw

K.Simpson, Mr Reliable last six seasons has averaged 90+. However during the last 3 seasons 36 games out of 64 have been 99 points or under, to break that down even further in that time 20 games out of 64 have been 79 or under. An upgrade target for me.

My Backline lets me down massively every year and this year i want to try something different.
This year i'm seriously thinking of starting with a more established and hopefully settled backline from the start.
ATM i have Roberton, KK, and 4 mids of Bartel, Yeo, Rich and BSmith.
In previous years i have wasted a lot of trades and it has taken the fun out of the game for me and i'm hoping that this way i wont have to worry too much about my backline and concentrate more on my Mid and Fwd rookies.
your thoughts on this are most welcome

My Backline lets me down massively every year and this year i want to try something different.
This year i'm seriously thinking of starting with a more established and hopefully settled backline from the start.
In previous years i have wasted a lot of trades and it has taken the fun out of the game for me and i'm hoping that this way i wont have to worry too much about my backline and concentrate more on my Mid and Fwd rookies.
Yeo, Rich and Smith could all average 70-80 and you'd then be stuck with them
It's too many, try 4 portential "keepers", or 5 if you really must, but not 6. We'll get some decent defence rookies I'm sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what happens if two of these 6 average 75? That awkward sort of score where you're not sure whether to just trade them or wait for them to come good, but you're still losing points
Or Shaw is averaging 110 but then gets shut down one game for a 40, bringing him back towards an affordable price. Yet you'll have no room for him an already completed backline
Meanwhile your forwards and midfield are a premo short each

I don't like it. I don't believe in stacking a single line, other than rucks. It throws your balance too much, and leaves no room for upgrades. Could only work if you're * off lucky and manage to somehow pick the 6 best backs from the start, and I just don't see it with that group of 6

Note: last year saw a lot of important GCS players absent in the midfield which saw KK stand up as one of the few talented players, I feel the return of JOM, Swallow, Gablett will seriously affect his scoring potential and I can see him dropping back to maybe 80-85, he'll be a top scorer but not this year for me, who knows the inclusion of these guys could conversely improve his scoring as GCS will no doubt be more successful
although KK didn't play through the midfield. He's their go to player coming out of defence/up on the wing.

So what happens if two of these 6 average 75? That awkward sort of score where you're not sure whether to just trade them or wait for them to come good, but you're still losing points
Or Shaw is averaging 110 but then gets shut down one game for a 40, bringing him back towards an affordable price. Yet you'll have no room for him an already completed backline
Meanwhile your forwards and midfield are a premo short each

I don't like it. I don't believe in stacking a single line, other than rucks. It throws your balance too much, and leaves no room for upgrades. Could only work if you're **** off lucky and manage to somehow pick the 6 best backs from the start, and I just don't see it with that group of 6
ive stacked my backline. And it hasn't seemed to take anything away from the rest of my side. As long as you have good cash cows you can fix anything.

with bell leaving for bris vegas. is there a defender who may grab his points?
just a question on this bloke i suppose.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-02-12/zach-tuohy-backs-muchmaligned-marc-murphy-as-carlton-captain
any chance tuohy could go premo?

Bell has always played as a Half Forward/Mid why would a Defender steal his points? Unless you mean Yarran.

As for Touhy, he's a pretty solid player, could go around 85-90 but probably more likely 80-85. Simpson, Docherty, Thomas, Walker, Buckley, Plowman & even Weitering can all re-bound off half back, as well as Tuohy off course. Although Touhy is more of a BP than a HBF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back