Not open for further replies.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
23sezwj.jpg

Whitefriars have announced their 3rd coach in 3 years, with Dick Baker taking over. An ex player and U/19 assistant coach.

Did Fraser chuck it in. Or.......?

A regrettable consequence of the club investing very heavily in the WFC future, in the form of our graduating u19s.

What Dick lacks in coaching experience he more than makes up for in personality and popularity with the kids he has assisted over the last two years.

Absolutely fraught with danger. 3 times banyule did that in my 25 years. Every time failed.
Club believes that 19s are future and gets coach in that is a very good junior coach and has good relationship with 19s, etc but struggles at senior level

Absolutely fraught with danger. 3 times banyule did that in my 25 years. Every time failed.
Club believes that 19s are future and gets coach in that is a very good junior coach and has good relationship with 19s, etc but struggles at senior level

Well unfortunately we have just come out of our "annus horribilis" where we suffered unprecedented absences, injuries and suspensions. Played 54 senior players including 23 debutants.

Looked down the barrel of merging with Donvale and then suffered through the awkward last 2 months of 'separation'.

We had to have a clean slate, so the kids can prosper without any baggage.

This is the solution.

Well unfortunately we have just come out of our "annus horribilis" where we suffered unprecedented absences, injuries and suspensions. Played 54 senior players including 23 debutants.

Looked down the barrel of merging with Donvale and then suffered through the awkward last 2 months of 'separation'.

We had to have a clean slate, so the kids can prosper without any baggage.

This is the solution.

I'm tipping Old Geelong to go all the way in 2015. With excellent depth and the last few years' finals experience under their belt, it's time for them to step up. St Marys Salesian and Kew are two clubs who continue to attract quality players as they have done over the last 3 years. They both have great club culture and a young playing list. What are the chances of the Kew Bears going back to back to back?

I'm tipping Old Geelong to go all the way in 2015. With excellent depth and the last few years' finals experience under their belt, it's time for them to step up. St Marys Salesian and Kew are two clubs who continue to attract quality players as they have done over the last 3 years. They both have great club culture and a young playing list. What are the chances of the Kew Bears going back to back to back?
Seniors or reserves?:D

Ranting Frankie going around again?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well without reading the story, D4 has the road trip for Westbourne and Point Cook to South Mornington again.

That was a significant factor - how much, I don't know - but it was certainly one of the elephants in the room when the Suns were deciding whether to stay with the VAFA or go to the WRFL. I have my own opinion but the one that counted was the players and officials and parents who did all the away trips in U19N and got sick of it - especially with Yarra Bloody Valley strategically scheduling their home U19 games for a 9:20 start.

Thoughts AM & bedford

http://m.heraldsun.com.au/leader/ba...-closer-together/story-fngnvmn9-1227123227363

VAFA losing too many district clubs to local leagues because of travel?
Good pick-up 2s Hack.

This has been the subject of discussion within the VAFA for many years.

It has been a factor in some clubs moving to more compact competitions. These comps have understandably used it as an effective lure.

I guess the issue has become more pronounced with the inclusion of clubs like Point Cook and South Mornington.

Quite a few models have been floated over the years but none so far have found sufficient support. The promotion/relegation system has been a major obstacle I think.

From what's in the piece this doesn't appear to be a major advance on previous models in my view.

Good to see it's been brought to the fore again as distance is an issue.

It's a bold plan but I think it's required to hold onto the district clubs in the lower grades. The only reservation that I would have is, with basically 2 x division 1's, you could be thinning out the standard across the two divisions creating possibly a D2 division anyway.

If so I'd say good luck to the grand finalist in the weaker of the 2 being promoted to C section the next year competing against the demoted B grade sides.

Not sure, maybe I'm reading too much into it. On the whole I reckon is a good move though

I think only two should still go up from the lower geographical grades and two down from Premier C.

The best way to do that is for the Div 1 North and South final fours to play a four week series similar to the AFL which goes like this:

Week 1 - qualifying/elimination finals in your geographical divisions. Winners of Quaifying (1-v-2), go to week 3 with a rest in wk 2

Week 2 - Semi Finals
Are still in geographical grade, loser of QF plays winner of EF in semi finals. Winner crosses OVER into opposite grade to play QF winner in wk 3.

Week 3 - Preliminary Finals
Div 1 North QF winner plays Div 1 South semi winner
Div 1 South QF winner plays Div 1 North semi winner
Winners are promoted to Premier C and play of on GF the next week.

This way if North is a stronger division than South (or vice versa) we still get the strongest two clubs outside Premier C getting promoted for the following year.

Thoughts?

I like that idea HedgeFund it makes things more interesting & only the 2 most worthy teams being promoted

But it may cause a conundrum. What if 2 x North/central get promoted to C grade and only for example Oakleigh & Ormond get demoted back to South/Central?

Would it mean central teams in both Div 1 grades get shuffled around? No easy solution

I think the minor inconvenience of a central/south club being re-zoned to central/north if necessary would be a pretty small trade off.

Compared to the huge travel burden many clubs have borne as the competition has expanded into the west, outer east and deep south, it's an easy sell (if necessary).

They've done the localised grades before and it made the blow outs week to week ridiculous. The top teams were beating half the teams week in week out by 200 points. Can be demoralising for a club getting beaten by that much. They changed it back a few seasons later. The travel isn't that bad. Don't break something that's not broken

They've done the localised grades before and it made the blow outs week to week ridiculous. The top teams were beating half the teams week in week out by 200 points. Can be demoralising for a club getting beaten by that much. They changed it back a few seasons later. The travel isn't that bad. Don't break something that's not broken
At the same time I believe there are at least a couple of clubs in the upper echelons now that benefited from that system, and possibly may not have made it given the time it would take to go from D4 to A. Getting promoted every year it would take 8 years, and in reality it would be more like 12-15, so a club would have to get more than one committed core group to take the club that distance, both on and off the field. With the combined grades it is feasible to do it with one group. Some clubs may never aspire to that but I am sure many do. For a strong club from another competition to come into the amateurs, they would either have to be consigned to lower grades for at least 5 years or the Amateurs would have to consider placing them into a middle grade, which would cause lots of dissention from other clubs

Ta! Appears the redoubtable gent has ceased to exist as one of our contributors. Sad, cos he was superb.

Well, if you read what the Friars president had to say on the Friars website, it wasn't overly complimentary. Basically said he was a good bloke who couldn't coach at senior level-one of the more unusual farewells I have ever read. He had plenty to say on here over a long period about coaches, players and clubs but unfortunately, he wasn't up to it when it was his turn. He lasted only one year and unfortunately, he hasn't had much (any?) success in his coaching career.

I wish him luck if goes to Coburg and has a fresh start-he has had more clubs than Tiger Woods but I hope he can settle at Coburg and finally have some success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back