2016 Fed Cup

Aug 24, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
T'Wolves/Patrick Beverley/Footscray
Teams are in for this weekend's tie against Slovakia, and holy ******* s**t we've selected Arina Rodionova to play two singles matches. :$ Good luck with that, Molik.

Schmiedlova vs. Rodionova
Cepelova vs. Stosur
Schmiedlova vs. Stosur
Cepelova vs. Rodionova
Cepelova/Hantuchova vs. Stosur/Dellacqua

17 year old Kimberly Birrell is our fourth. Cibulkova named but not playing any matches at this stage for Slovakia.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
It is a sorry state of affairs that Dellacqua is 30 years old and we haven't been able to produce a local top 100 player on the women's side since she came through as a junior.

Not even female equivalents of Groth/Ebden/Matosevic/Duckworth types that drift in/out of the top 100.

Interesting that Stosur and Dellacqua have 3/6 record in doubles. You'd think they'd make a pretty formidable team given their own success in doubles.

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Looks like 7two are going to broadcast the matches live tonight.
Trying to optimistic but on paper Australia will be lucky scrap through with one victory during this tie.
I assume Wolfe is still injured?
Tomljanovic must be ineligible like Gavrilova? ITF rules preventing her from playing for Australia...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

vaughany

Cancelled
10k Posts
Mar 23, 2002
AFL Club
Essendon
Woodbridge and Bratke commentating from what looks to be the ch7 footy game day studios in Australia

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
7-5 4-1 up and lost. Ouch. No expectations going in but still.

Stosur beat Cepelova in straights.

It will be interesting to see who plays reverse against Stosur. Stosur hasn't lost a set in 5 meetings against Cibulkova and 2 against Schmiedlova. Unlikely they'd turn to Hantuchova but Sam has a 7-1 h2h against her too with the loss at their first meeting in 2003.

May 20, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
So just a random statistical thought Stosur is 16-2 H2H against the 4 Slovaks and 4-20 H2H against the Czechs ( Kvitova, Safarova, Pliskova x 2). Kvitova is a different class but the rest would pair off reasonably evenly across their careers.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
what surface is this played on!?
looks extremely slow

It a hard court but, yes, it is very slow. The surface is like very rough sandpaper apparently. Stosur commented pre-match that she's never seen anything like it.

I bailed out after the first set of the Rodianova match, it was just horrible to watch. Rodianova is not very good and Schmiedlova was playing very badly, her serving had completely deserted her. Add this to the slow courts and it was awful. If Dellacqua is fit enough to play the doubles surely she would have been a better choice than Rodianova. for singles.

Really wanted to watch Sam's match but couldn't stay up that late. Good to see she won comfortably.

Also the Fanatics conspicuous by their absence.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Watch this space. Sharapova has withdrawn from the doubles she was meant to play. she is actually injured, hence why she didnt play singles. she has the requirements to play the Olympics(u need to be in the team 3 times, but not play), but i quote

If Sharapova wants to compete at the Olympics she has to play for Russia in the Fed Cup,” Shamil Tarpishchev said, according to AFP. “That’s the rule, and she needs either to play against Netherlands or in Russia’s next Fed Cup match if we manage to go through

I dont know if this is the same bloke who played the Russian under 16 team against Australia a couple years back but the Russian Tennis dudes dont have a great track record. still, she has another chance to please Shamil i think, with the WG playoffs in April.

i had faith in Sam the whole way. never wrote her off once. she is playing quite well atm. forehand killing it.

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
7-6 7-5. stosur loves this kind of surface. she grew and grew in confidence and she was just about running to her forehand every chance she had in the end.

Birrell been rumored for the next tie. i am not against it. lets be honest, Cibulkova will beat whoever she plays. might as well get some fresh legs out there.

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
7-6 7-5. stosur loves this kind of surface. she grew and grew in confidence and she was just about running to her forehand every chance she had in the end.

Birrell been rumored for the next tie. i am not against it. lets be honest, Cibulkova will beat whoever she plays. might as well get some fresh legs out there.

Yes, more hot than cold from Sam in the end so all is good :) The surface played int her hands.

I agree, might as well give Birrell a go. Don't think I'll be able to see this out though, well past my bedtime already :oops:

Back