2016 Fixture - 2x Haw, Port, Coll, St.K & GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought we might need a thread for the upcoming Fixture discussions. i remember us having one last year. The fixture is announced on the 29th of this month (October).

Queens Birthday like every year is the lock that will still go ahead

ANZAC day eve against Richmond i would think continues after the response this year, except next year it falls on a sunday.

Will we get another Friday night game? i get the feeling the AFL will give us two next year

Home game v the Dons? Only happened once in ten years
I got the feeling we'll play them twice next year because of their awful season. In which case the AFL would have to give us a home game. I think the last time off the top of my head we played at home to Essendon was 2010

I would like there to be some logic and equality to the draw, not for our sake, but for the competition in general.

The AFL need to strengthen the integrity of the competition as the last few years with comprised draws, non-transparent rules for free-agency compensation, ad-hock rule changes (Sydney's trading ban) and the guilty without any penalties handed down to Essendon has eroded many fans sense of fairness. I think revamping the fixture and putting in place a transparent, logical method for determining the draw will stop the weekly and yearly fixture criticisms, boost the integrity of the comp and take the next step in really making it a national game.

The fixture should have:
- Every team plays each other the same amount of times after 4-5 years. Doesn't exactly have to be a rolling draw either.
- Teams play same amount of home and away games in that time.
- The burden of travelling is close to shared equally and interstate teams get their fair share of games at the MCG on a yearly basis.
- The number of Friday night games is closer to even. NO team should get 8 Friday games (having scheduled 8 for the eventual spooners hopefully the AFL learnt their lesson) and every team should at least get 1 or 2 with the better performing or 'attacking' teams from last season being awarded with more games. This includes having 2 interstate teams play each other on a Friday.

EDIT: I know this won't happen, but i think this is what the comp should strive for.

I'd love a game in Sydney v the Swans. We haven't played up here for a fair while unless against GWS (and this year even that was in Canberra).

Away games against Brisbane and Gold Coast would be nice.

I got the feeling we'll play them twice next year because of their awful season. In which case the AFL would have to give us a home game. I think the last time off the top of my head we played at home to Essendon was 2010

My understanding is that the bottom six teams have to play each other twice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought we might need a thread for the upcoming Fixture discussions. i remember us having one last year. The fixture is announced on the 29th of this month (October).

Queens Birthday like every year is the lock that will still go ahead

ANZAC day eve against Richmond i would think continues after the response this year, except next year it falls on a sunday.

Will we get another Friday night game? i get the feeling the AFL will give us two next year
Sunday night games work fine (or at least they should) before Monday public holidays. I can see the AFL potentially making it a twilight game though to let fans get home early in case they're planning on attending the dawn service, although it wasn't an issue this year so...

Sunday night games work fine (or at least they should) before Monday public holidays. I can see the AFL potentially making it a twilight game though to let fans get home early in case they're planning on attending the dawn service, although it wasn't an issue this year so...

Though it did make for one very tired Headless.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/one-more-year-for-anz-stadium-deal-20151023-gkhdc3.html

According to the Article here are some R1 Match-ups
Richmond vs Carlton-MCG
Melbourne vs Gws Giants-MCG
Geelong vs Hawthorn-MCG
Bulldogs vs St Kilda-ES
West Coast vs Brisbane-PS
Sydney vs Collingwood-ANZ
You are shitting me. Richmond v Carlton as the Friday special? Every time I think the AFL surely pull themselves together? Oh God. Nice for the families of players in the two teams I guess

You are shitting me. Richmond v Carlton as the Friday special? Every time I think the AFL surely pull themselves together? Oh God. Nice for the families of players in the two teams I guess

Thursday night, it seems. I was making assumptions. Good thinking to start the year with a 150 point flogging.

Based upon the R23 game GWS R1 is a pretty good result for us. Players should go in expecting to win.
Full-strength Giants though. Mummy v Maxy is a great matchup on paper.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back