2016 fixture wishlist

Seriously, fewer Sunday twilight games would be nice. I don't mind Sunday arvo but the twilight game is too much for the kids.

Nov 26, 2012
Not all Brisbane focused but somethings that I'd like to see:
- 6 games in Melbourne (none in Tassie or Geelong)
- Hawks at the Gabba
- Double ups against Carlton, GCS, Melbourne
- No Carlton on Friday nights (I think all teams should get at least one Friday night game but screw Carlton they can miss a year)
- Showdown and the Western Derby on a Friday or Saturday night
- Collingwood, Essendon, Carlton all play down in Geelong

AFLQLD

Jul 15, 2012
There are other teams?
Can we sit out the actual games and just do drafting and trading. We seem to have plenty to keep us busy with that. the games just get in the way.

More seriously, I am still expecting that the Hawks team will still have not visited Brisbane by this time next year. Which means the obligatory trip to Tasmania. I also reckon we will be unlucky and get two trips to Perth and two to Adelaide. I have no reason to think this except we are fricken unlucky.

I would like more Saturday 4.40 home games than any others if I had my way.

Brettles

Jan 22, 2015
Tottenham Hotspur
Hawthorn to play at the 'Gabba (or at least not sent to Tassie again).

Not sure if this has been mentioned but Greg Swan commented on ABC's "Northern Frontier" podcast that BOTH Brisbane and the Hawks have made noise about getting this setup for next year. So yeah, my view listening to his comments is its pretty clear both teams want it so hopefully the AFL can deliver. The Hawks are the only side I have yet to see live.

Experimental

May 20, 2012
Green Bay Packers
vs. Collingwood @ The Gabba on a Thursday night (or a Friday night if the Broncos aren't playing)
Lions vs. Suns Q-Clash Friday night during school holidays
Hawks, Richmond, Carlton, Essendon @ The Gabba
No tassie games
1 SA trip
1 WA trip
Fewer Sunday twilight games

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
Wouldn't it be best for AFL to get each state derby on a Friday night. I reckon that'd be great

Experimental

May 20, 2012
Green Bay Packers
Wouldn't it be best for AFL to get each state derby on a Friday night. I reckon that'd be great
This is my thinking too. Sydney vs. Greater Western Sydney on a Friday night would be awesome; as would Port vs. Crows, etc. National coverage for the local derby would be great, but for the time being it'd have to be Swans vs. Giants @ the SCG, and Lions vs. Suns @ The Gabba only.

Friday night derbies at Spotless and Metricon would look terrible on TV - * all people would show up.

pOleK

Professional Couch Observer
Oct 27, 2014
Tbar
FC Barcelona, Atlanta Hawks
This is my thinking too. Sydney vs. Greater Western Sydney on a Friday night would be awesome; as would Port vs. Crows, etc. National coverage for the local derby would be great, but for the time being it'd have to be Swans vs. Giants @ the SCG, and Lions vs. Suns @ The Gabba only.

Friday night derbies at Spotless and Metricon would look terrible on TV - **** all people would show up.
Yeah, I guess we do have to wait a pretty long time though until the expansion teams reach higher crowd numbers and gain more supporters. Even now if the giants or suns were to make the finals i don't see them being able to pack a full home stadium.

Friday night derbies at Spotless and Metricon would look terrible on TV - **** all people would show up.
Friday nights for Q-Clashes would from a pure attendance point of view would be terrible, would be a pain in the ass for away fans to get to either stadium, saturday twilight for attending is perfect, but having said that Q-Clashes should get coverage on FTA and Friday night national exposure would be good for both teams.

Think the right balance between TV and attendance would be an early season Q-Clash (March), Saturday 6.20pm start at Carrara (7.20pm AEDT)

Also this would allow Lions fans in Brisbane to make a day out of it on the Coast as it would still be hot during the day, and game will start just after sunset.

Experimental

May 20, 2012
Green Bay Packers
Also this would allow Lions fans in Brisbane to make a day out of it on the Coast as it would still be hot during the day, and game will start just after sunset.
I expect the Queensland clubs to utilise the 3:20pm Saturday game from 2017 onwards pretty heavily, which will be even better if that slot is on-sold to Ten for national FTA coverage. Fingers crossed!

My attempt

RD 1 Sat, Mar 19, 7.20pm local (6.20 Bris) v Carlton @ Docklands
RD 2 Thu, Mar 24, 7.10pm local (8.10 Melb) v Geelong @ Gabba
RD 3 Sat, Apr 2, 6.20pm local (7.20 Melb) v Gold Coast @ Carrara
<End of Daylight savings in non-backwards states>
RD 4 Sat, Apr 9 1.45pm local v St Kilda @ Docklands
RD 5 Sun, Apr 17 1.10pm local v Port Adelaide @ Gabba (Lions in clash jumper if sunny)
RD 6 Sat, Apr 23 1.45pm local v Richmond @ Gabba (Lions in clash jumper if sunny)

RD 7 Sat, Apr 30 5.40pm local (7.40 Bris/Melb) v West Coast @ Subiaco
RD 8 Fri-Sun, May 6-8 BYE
RD 9 Sat, May 14 4.35pm local v Adelaide @ Gabba
RD 10 Sat, May 21 7.20pm local v Bulldogs @ Docklands
RD 11 Sat, May 28 2.10pm local v GWS @ Giants Stadium

RD 12 Sun, Jun 5 3.20pm local v Hawthorn @ Gabba
RD 13 Sat, Jun 11 1.45pm local v North Melbourne @ Docklands
RD 14 Fri, Jun 17 7.50pm local v the scum @ Gabba
RD 15 Sat, Jun 25 7.10pm local (7.40 Bris/Melb) v Port Adelaide @ Adelaide Oval
RD 16 Sat, Jul 2 1.45pm local v Melbourne @ Gabba
RD 17 Thu, Jul 7 7.20pm local v Sydney @ SCG
RD 18 Fri-Sun, Jul 15-17 BYE
RD 19 Sat, Jul 23 4.35pm v Gold Coast @ Gabba
RD 20 Sat, Jul 30 7.20pm v the scum @ MCG
RD 21 Sun, Aug 7 3.20pm local v Carlton @ Gabba
RD 22 Sat, Aug 13 4.35pm local v Fremantle @ Gabba

RD 23 Sat, Aug 20 1.45pm local v Melbourne @ MCG
RD 24 Fri-Sun, Aug 26-28 v Essendon @ Gabba

AFLQLD

Jul 15, 2012
There are other teams?
Taking a gamble I think the teams we would play twice could be Gold Coast of course, Collingwood, Adelaide, Hawthorn.

Schache It Off

Sep 20, 2008
Taylor Swift
Taking a gamble I think the teams we would play twice could be Gold Coast of course, Collingwood, Adelaide, Hawthorn.
No way would they give us those teams when we finished 2nd last...

I say: GC, Carltank, Essendon and Collingwood (Beams factor).

Skoob

Jul 6, 2010
This is the best opportunity to date to clinch that elusive 6th game in Melbourne.
The longer it's been since the Hawks came up, the closer they are to the next time. With us finishing 17th, it also means we hopefully play them only once, so Hawks at the Gabba is the best argument to not play in Tassie and to lobby for that extra game in Melbourne. With the state of our club, talk of priority picks etc, Swann will be playing the 'woe is us' card and has a good opportunity to remind AFL house of our need to reconnect with our Victorian members (many lapsed).

Want the scum twice preferably both games later in the season after they start their mid to late season slide.

Would love to go to the MCG again to watch the scum get smacked :D

Schache It Off

Sep 20, 2008
Taylor Swift
Want the scum twice preferably both games later in the season after they start their mid to late season slide.

Would love to go to the MCG again to watch the scum get smacked :D
Round 21 2014 was beautiful.

Except seeing Beams hurt, glad he is ok! ;)

Being in the bottom six, we should only be playing zero to one double header versus 1-6, one to two versus 7-12 and 2 to 3 versus 13-18. Gold Coast will take up one of the last slots. We could end up with Hawthorn, Adelaide and the Pies as three out of the other four double headers, but that would literally be the worst possible combination of those with maximum against both top ranges of teams.

Crawb

SuperCoach Club Board Winner
Aug 11, 2012
I like how we have to request to play a particular team at our home ground because it hasn't happened for 7 years. Peak Lions.

Albi_Mangler

Oct 22, 2013
NFL, NBA, Roar, FC Tokyo
Any word when the 2016 fixture will be released. Last year was end of October so possibly after draft week finishes?

EDIT: Oct 29th. Found it on the AFL website.:$