12042742_10153052953017191_4080077396220776327_n.jpg

12191687_10153052953072191_8383413558534028560_n.jpg

11167956_10153052953222191_3104306431819408842_n.jpg

princy_99

All Australian
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I hope we play someone like a norf or Richmond first game at Metricon on a Saturday night hopefully get a big crowd out.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
My wishlist:

• Hawthorn, Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond, and Geelong @ Metricon
  • Port Adelaide x2 games
  • GWS @ Spotless
  • Hope our double game against 1 - 6 (if we have one) is against Richmond
  • Collingwood @ MCG
  • Early season QClash @ the Gabba
  • I hope our three 13 - 18 double games are against Carlton, Essendon, and (obviously) Brisbane. Though I don't think we'll get Essendon up here again next year, so it'll probably be Carlton, Melbourne, and Brisbane
  • Wouldn't mind seeing Melbourne @ Metricon
  • Friday night QClash in Brisbane!?
  • Mainly 4:40pm Saturday games, with a game or two on Sunday
  • 7:20pm start time for games in the first few rounds (4:40pm is still perfect beach weather in April/May. Having a night game early in the season will improve crowds imo)

If I were to choose our opening game, it'd have to be against a bottom 9 'big' Victorian club. Ideally I'd like Gold Coast vs. Geelong @ Metricon - 7:20pm Saturday.

Donble

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa , Buccs
North is our bitch , twice against them please , and as Suns said Friday night footy at Metricon , we have'nt derseved to be put on that timeslot just yet but that does'nt stop Carlton being there every 3rd week.

Skav

Team Captain
Sep 26, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
My wish list also features Melbourne now, For us and St Kilda to be the only bottom tier teams they play and for them to get collingwood / port / Geelong from the second tier

Guinness92

Draftee
Aug 16, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
- A game in Spotless
- 2 games v Collingwood
- Another North Melb game at Metricon (love watching us beat North)
- 2 games v Carlton
- Only 1 trip to Perth, hopefully only 1 to Adelaide as well but doubtful.
- Start playing Richmond in Cairns again
- A Friday night game. Although our performance in 2015 will kill any chance of this.
- No day home games in the opening and final 5 rounds. (can get far too hot during the day especially as we enter spring up here in Qld)

Feb 27, 2005
Port Augusta
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
QPR
I'm being selfish as a game in Adelaide is a simple 3 hour drive for me, so two games in Adelaide would sit well with me.
At least one occasion with back to back home games so I can spend a week on the Gold Coast and get two games in the one trip.
Would love to see us just once in the big Friday night time slot.
More national channel 7 games to help boost exposure.

Donble

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa , Buccs
Caro has come out with a few leaked rd.1 fixtures , she has Brissy playing Eagles over there , so lock in a rd,.1 Metricon game.

Sep 25, 2012
Geelong
AFL Club
Gold Coast
AFL ROUND 1 FIXTURE ANNOUNCED

Thursday, March 24
Richmond v Carlton, MCG

Saturday, March 26
Melbourne v Greater Western Sydney, MCG
Gold Coast v Essendon, Metricon Stadium
Sydney Swans v Collingwood, ANZ Stadium
North Melbourne v Adelaide, Etihad Stadium

Sunday, March 27
Western Bulldogs v Fremantle, Etihad Stadium
Port Adelaide v St Kilda, Adelaide Oval
West Coast v Brisbane Lions, Domain Stadium

Monday, March 28
Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG

vide0n

Premiership Player
Oct 7, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Thursday, March 24
Richmond v Carlton, MCG

Saturday, March 26

Sunday, March 27

Monday, March 28
Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG
Hey a game we might win!

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

Thursday, March 24
Richmond v Carlton, MCG

Saturday, March 26

Sunday, March 27

Monday, March 28
Geelong v Hawthorn, MCG
Looks to be a day game which is a bit s**t. But the heat will be on our side, which is an added bonus.

Also, Sydney's game at ANZ? Wtf. I thought they were done with that hellhole?

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Actually, going off the AFL.com.au article it looks like there is going to be two 7:20pm games meaning that our opener against Essendon is going to be at 4:40pm - perfect.

Going to be a huge opener for us. It may well be a sell out.

Donble

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa , Buccs
If we do get Essendon first up, and we do want to make finals, that games becomes a must-win. Not only that, it's perfectly set up for a 'statement' game (we need to whack them to put doubt into teams + they are s**t enough to allow us to do that).

I think all games at Metricon we have to win , turn the furness into a fortress.

Donble

Club Legend
Mar 4, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Villa , Buccs
Actually, going off the AFL.com.au article it looks like there is going to be two 7:20pm games meaning that our opener against Essendon is going to be at 4:40pm - perfect.

Going to be a huge opener for us. It may well be a sell out.

Yeah thats how i read that fixture as well , i'm expecting a heap of twlighgts at Metricon this year.

princy_99

All Australian
Sep 7, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Who does everyone think we will play second round and where, personally I could see us at Domain against Freo.

Experimental

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
Could someone explain to me why 4.40 games are so appealing for home games? Not a great time living in Victoria but maybe higher attendance on GC?
The 4:40pm timeslot on Saturdays is the favourite for footy in QLD. The Lions fans like that timeslot too. It's more of a culture thing up here, whereas people in Melbourne seem to like night footy.

On the Gold Coast specifically though it's a good time for families. You're home early and it's a beautiful spectacle to start the game during the day and end the game during the night. Usually the first half is played in the hot afternoon sunset whereas the second half is played under the bright spotlights of Metricon. It's my personal favourite, as well as the favourite of GC Suns fans/members according to the end-of-year survey sent out at the end of last year.

It's also a good timeslot because it allows people to spend a day on the coast - shopping, beaches, bars, cafes - then head to the footy as the sun sets. Games held during the day have far smaller attendances because people would rather utilise the good weather elsewhere, whereas night games draw a bit less because of it being a late start making it difficult for families and those traveling from further than the local area.

Sunday games are poor drawing games, again, because of it usually always being a day slot when people would rather be on the beach or shopping, and the late afternoon Sunday games being on the night before a school night.

tl;dr: suits the Suns' demographic

Back