List Mgmt. 2016 general list discussion and speculation (cont in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Redden is interesting. A late first rounder would probably get him. We'd have to do some creative trading to trade our pick 7-9 for a late first rounder and an early 2nd rounder ... trade the 1st for Redden and the 2nd rounder for Henderson and still have a 2nd rounder in the draft. Bring in Selwood and Dangerfield for free. Midfield is improved a fair bit.

We'll take Redden......but not Adcock, even though he is a fine player.
Since we were kind enough to offload Bundy for pick 21 last year maybe they'll return the favour. ;)

Now to trade for pick 21. :D

Wow I think our feederclub tag has been misdirected.

Something very wrong with that club. The go home 5, now Aish and Redden.
And Luenberger and probably one or two more.

What should they do? It's getting quite sad actually.

Voss sent them back a few yes by bringing in Fevola and giving away Henderson & their first round pick. He also burnt bridges with Rischitelli who eventually left to Gold Coast.
Other players like Raines, Clarke, Hudson etc. Topping up with blokes who were never going to take them any further all the while losing out.

It kind of reminds me of Scott, the manor in which he's looked at older 'past performed' players in order to help fill in the cracks in defence, midfield and forward.
Fingers crossed the repercussions are not as drastic as what it was for Brisbane.

People on the Brisbane board have been saying a 2nd rounder, im not so sure about that as it does seem high. Id be inclined to think a 3rd rounder or maybe a straight swap for Walker/Kersten and an exchange of lower picks.

As I said , I think players in system struggling for games would be smarter.

Jack Redden can't say I've ever really noticed him before despite him playing 100+ in the last 5 years.

Redden is interesting. A late first rounder would probably get him. We'd have to do some creative trading to trade our pick 7-9 for a late first rounder and an early 2nd rounder ... trade the 1st for Redden and the 2nd rounder for Henderson and still have a 2nd rounder in the draft. Bring in Selwood and Dangerfield for free. Midfield is improved a fair bit.

Wouldnt be hard, lodge Scooter as FA, eagles get end first round compo so have picks 18 and 19 (assuming danger compo), trade 8 for 18 and 19, trade 18 and a surplus forward (Walker or Kersten) to Brisbane for Redden and a late pick, and then trade 19 to Carlton for Hendo.

That said I don't think we would get Redden he is probably going to SA but it really helps us with Danger because with Redden possibly going to SA, Scharenberg possibly going to SA and Aish going somewhere if they get stuck in argy bargy for 2 weeks with us by threatening to match they potentially miss being able to get those players, and having one of them go to Port. Adel will think about beating their chests and matching to appease angry supporters, but if we can give them a good business case not to match they wont.

I would lodge Scooter as soon as the FA period opens as Eagles wont match, and them having two late firsts suits us if we need a trading partner. I would then do all our trades straight away, get rid of our top 30 picks presumably getting Henderson and a decent ruck with them. Then we make clear we wont lodge Danger until the very end of the period unless they agree not to match, and point out we will risk the draft if they do. We hold some power as we can control when we lodge the Danger offer, by threatening to hold it back unless they agree not to match we can make it difficult for them-it is easier for them to trade away their own first rounder if they know compo is coming in quickly, but if they are unsure what they will get for Danger or if he may go to the draft it will hold up their ability to do trades. I feel sorry for Adelaide if they lose him this way given the other players they have lost but footy is a business, and we have to do what we can to maximise our best interests.

Last edited:
Voss sent them back a few yes by bringing in Fevola and giving away Henderson & their first round pick. He also burnt bridges with Rischitelli who eventually left to Gold Coast.
Other players like Raines, Clarke, Hudson etc. Topping up with blokes who were never going to take them any further all the while losing out.

It kind of reminds me of Scott, the manor in which he's looked at older 'past performed' players in order to help fill in the cracks in defence, midfield and forward.
Fingers crossed the repercussions are not as drastic as what it was for Brisbane.
plz bobby

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lots of potential ruck trade targets, i know its been discussed a bit but who would you prefer? As mentioned, ruck is an issue.

Back Stanley in, durability question mark but showed good glimpses, think he needs nunber 1 role to flourish.

Leuenberger? Durability?

Z smith? Durability is some issue, ability may be another.

Who are some other legitimate targets? Im interested to know if any other options are possible.

The major rucks out of contract are Clarke at Freo (surely going), Berger (FA, likely going), Smith at GC (OOC, maybe going?), Krezuer (FA, unsure if going), along with fringe types in Nankervis, Currie, Cordy, Redden (Port), I think all those guys are OOC

No change
ruck is still not set in concrete
but the mystery mid is being held tight

Wow. This sounds awesome.

Dangerfield's Dangerfield, but the mystery mid could be anyone! It could even be Dangerfield! And we all know how much we've wanted that guy on our list.

We'll take the mystery mid.

Last edited:
Wouldnt be hard, lodge Scooter as FA, eagles get end first round compo so have picks 18 and 19 (assuming danger compo), trade 8 for 18 and 19, trade 18 and a surplus forward (Walker or Kersten) to Brisbane for Redden and a late pick, and then trade 19 to Carlton for Hendo.

That said I don't think we would get Redden he is probably going to SA but it really helps us with Danger because with Redden possibly going to SA, Scharenberg possibly going to SA and Aish going somewhere if they get stuck in argy bargy for 2 weeks with us by threatening to match they potentially miss being able to get those players, and having one of them go to Port. Adel will think about beating their chests and matching to appease angry supporters, but if we can give them a good business case not to match they wont.

I would lodge Scooter as soon as the FA period opens as Eagles wont match, and them having two late firsts suits us if we need a trading partner. I would then do all our trades straight away, get rid of our top 30 picks presumably getting Henderson and a decent ruck with them. Then we make clear we wont lodge Danger until the very end of the period unless they agree not to match, and point out we will risk the draft if they do. We hold some power as we can control when we lodge the Danger offer, by threatening to hold it back unless they agree not to match we can make it difficult for them-it is easier for them to trade away their own first rounder if they know compo is coming in quickly, but if they are unsure what they will get for Danger or if he may go to the draft it will hold up their ability to do trades. I feel sorry for Adelaide if they lose him this way given the other players they have lost but footy is a business, and we have to do what we can to maximise our best interests.
Really sound logic. I suspect that what you are saying is exactly how it will play. Sometimes it really is a follow the bouncing ball. And in this case, because we have the opening salvo and AFC have to react to it, we can delay it and force them to act when they no longer have any time.

It would be a monumental f*ckup for Wells and co to lodge the offer for Danger on day 1. If that happens, then say goodbye to a player and pick 8, no Henderson, no other decent players apart from Scott Selwood.

Is SJ is gone then surely that is it for Danger

He has to have committed.

I really thought of all the players SJ had one more year. Esp given he had those stress fractures from last years finals series. He did it and had all of Jan Feb off too

It really was. I kept thinking to myself. I do distinctly remember walking past Allen hundreds of times at school over the years.

Silly me it must have been his doppelgänger as he's from the Territory :p

Speaking of Allen. I saw him in Woollies in Shannon Ave about an hour ago.
I said gedday and wished him good luck.
Obviously down here to catch up with the family.

Really sound logic. I suspect that what you are saying is exactly how it will play. Sometimes it really is a follow the bouncing ball. And in this case, because we have the opening salvo and AFC have to react to it, we can delay it and force them to act when they no longer have any time.

It would be a monumental f*ckup for Wells and co to lodge the offer for Danger on day 1. If that happens, then say goodbye to a player and pick 8, no Henderson, no other decent players apart from Scott Selwood.

Agreed. Because the end of the FA period is towards the end of the trade period we can choose the timeframe to our advantage, and make it hard for Adelaide as a lot of players will have chosen their destinations and they will miss out.

Scooter could get lodged early as I don't see WC matching, whereas Adelaide may well match. I am not sure exactly who we will trade pick 8 for but I would be staggered if we still hold that pick when we lodge Dangerfield, if we are smart it will already be gone.

Look at almost everything to do with SSelwood andRedden and they're alike. Age, experience, stats, position, strengths, weaknesses, etc. yet people are willing to give up a first rounder for Redden but don't want Selwood for free?

Because Selwood has spent a large portion of the last two years out of the game with various injuries. Selwood's a risk, Redden at this stage isnt. Thats worth spending something on.

Back on our list changes five are gone (McIntosh, Rivers, Blease, Hartman and Stokes) and Kelly is likely to follow.
I can't see Simpson surviving after 8 years and them not using him when all the other rucks went down, so that's 7 off the senior list. Cowan should go also, with Toohey gone he can go onto the rookie list if we really want to keep him that much.

Mackie and Bartel will get another year and much as I would retire Lonergan they won't delist him and pay out his contract, but he will see a fair bit of VFL next year IMO if we get Henderson.

If Enright chooses to retire or SJ goes that's nine and I note that Walker and Kersten are still unsigned and there's a chance one may want more opportunities at another club depending who we bring in.

What that does indicate to me is with close to double digit list changes we will be very active in getting players from other clubs, it remains to be seen who we get but numerically there has to be at least three or four as we wont be taking all picks.

Say two free agents (danger and scooter), two trades (henderson and a ruckman hopefully) plus say four picks-assuming we trade out our first rounder this would be our 2nd plus a couple of 3rds (might be able to get a lateish pick in trades with another club) and a 4th rounder, elevate one or two rookies (probably Bates or Luxford) and/or take a delisted free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back