List Mgmt. 2016 general list discussion and speculation (cont in Pt.2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As luck (or not) would have it, I bumped into the resident Hawthorn supporter at work a minute ago. An otherwise top fellow, when talking about football he can have his moments like the best of 'em. So anyway, I asked him if he thought that getting rid of Lake and Hale had anything to do with going after Hendo and Smith, and his response was: "Nah, we don't want those spuds so we'll let you guys have them, along with the overrated Dangerfield". :rolleyes:

Top bloke ..and Haw supporter.... mmmm

Carlise is the one that I suspect they will look at.... and remember there was that rumour they would go hard at Talia.

I can't understand a club that had told a player that they don't want him, having any say in which club he goes to the following year. It's like throwing something in the bin but, when someone walks past, sees it and tries to take it out, you race up to them and demand they buy it from you. You're better off shopping it around first and, if nobody wants it, then you throw it in the bin.

Back to Bennell, though- do you think it's a good idea that he comes back to WA? Has he got good family support or is he effectively on his own and therefore better off interstate away from bad influences?

A club will always chase the best deal they can get for a player - just look at the Crows re Danger. It may not happen but they will try - especially if he is still contracted which I assume Bennell is. Tigers have the better ND pick than Freo - not by much but it maybe enough for them to say we accept the Tigers' offer over Freo's. Especially when GC probably feel they developed Bennell. paid him well, stood by him for a while and then he continued his poor behaviour. They just want to get the best deal I suspect and do not really care where he goes as long as he is out of their club.

Reports are that Jed Lamb is looking at heading to Carlton for next season, hoping for more senior opportunities (hmm, where have we heard that before:rolleyes:). If the Blues do pick him up, would that create more competition for Menzel for his spot in the team, and hence maybe have Troy looking at his potential options for next season - maybe try to bundle together a deal that sees Walker off to the Blues, Henderson & Menzel to Geelong with draft picks involved also.

I have mentioned this before - but perhaps the new coach prefers to keep Menzel than get picks ???

But offer pick 9 and Walker for Henderson and Troy Menzel. Even if we had to sweeten it with our second round pick - that would be ok. We know that Wells said he would have taken Troy if we had the chance in that draft. Now he has 2 pre-season and quite a few senior games behind him - he maybe ready to really start to produce the goods in a good side.

A club will always chase the best deal they can get for a player - just look at the Crows re Danger. It may not happen but they will try - especially if he is still contracted which I assume Bennell is. Tigers have the better ND pick than Freo - not by much but it maybe enough for them to say we accept the Tigers' offer over Freo's. Especially when GC probably feel they developed Bennell. paid him well, stood by him for a while and then he continued his poor behaviour. They just want to get the best deal I suspect and do not really care where he goes as long as he is out of their club.
Yeah- sorry- he still had 2 years left on his contract. I had thought the GC had turfed him out on his ear but just went back and read that they had said they were going to trade him at the end of the season. :)

In that case, I guess he is then just a piece of meat to them, something to be sold for as many $$ as they can get for him. ;)

Top bloke ..and Haw supporter.... mmmm

Carlise is the one that I suspect they will look at.... and remember there was that rumour they would go hard at Talia.
Why not. Hodgey's a good bloke... Apparently ;)

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-10-07/scott-hopeful-on-potential-recruits

CHRIS Scott is confident that any players who nominate Geelong as their preferred destination during the trade and free agency period will find their way to the club.

The Cats have been linked to a host of out-of-contract stars, including Patrick Dangerfield, Lachie Henderson, Scott Selwood and Zac Smith.

“The most important step is the players nominating Geelong as their club of choice and then, generally, the two clubs need to do a deal,” Scott said at Simonds Stadium on Tuesday.

“But if recent history’s any guide, the deals are still done.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-10-07/scott-hopeful-on-potential-recruits

after consulting the crystal ball of hope i have put together a team with average 130 games experience and average age of 25 years, assuming the listed players play most 2016 games.

FB: Mackie Taylor Thurlow
HB: Guthrie Henderson Kolo
C: Duncan S. Selwood Motlop
HF: Caddy Vardy Lang
FF: Bartel Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith, J. Selwood, Dangerfield
I: Stanley, Gregson, Enright, Cockatoo

this is on par with our 2007 team in terms of experience, age etc. Talent...well...most would have our team at round 5 2007 as no where near a premiership so you never know....

so at $17 for a 2016 premiership go have a flutter. :p

Scott Selwood tagging, vardy as a forward, stanley and smith rotating through ruck and resting up forward. Joel, danger, duncan, motlop, lang, bartel, caddy, guthrie, cockatoo rotating through the middle, taylor/hendo/kolo taking key talls with mackie and thurlow distributing. Hawkins working with menzel and vardy as a 3 pronged marking forward line, with resting mids and other smalls crumbing at their feet....

I can see it now...hawks going for 4 straight, Cats break their own 119 record to put an end to the hawk dominance with a 150 point thumping.

6 all australians in selwood, danger, duncan, motlop, taylor, menzel.
Brownlow to Selwood.
Norm Smith to Menzel for a 6 goal haul.
goal of the year to motlop.
mark of the year to vardy.....

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

after consulting the crystal ball of hope i have put together a team with average 130 games experience and average age of 25 years, assuming the listed players play most 2016 games.

FB: Mackie Taylor Thurlow
HB: Guthrie Henderson Kolo
C: Duncan S. Selwood Motlop
HF: Caddy Vardy Lang
FF: Bartel Hawkins Menzel
R: Smith, J. Selwood, Dangerfield
I: Stanley, Gregson, Enright, Cockatoo

this is on par with our 2007 team in terms of experience, age etc. Talent...well...most would have our team at round 5 2007 as no where near a premiership so you never know....

so at $17 for a 2016 premiership go have a flutter. :p

Scott Selwood tagging, vardy as a forward, stanley and smith rotating through ruck and resting up forward. Joel, danger, duncan, motlop, lang, bartel, caddy, guthrie, cockatoo rotating through the middle, taylor/hendo/kolo taking key talls with mackie and thurlow distributing. Hawkins working with menzel and vardy as a 3 pronged marking forward line, with resting mids and other smalls crumbing at their feet....

I can see it now...hawks going for 4 straight, Cats break their own 119 record to put an end to the hawk dominance with a 150 point thumping.

6 all australians in selwood, danger, duncan, motlop, taylor, menzel.
Brownlow to Selwood.
Norm Smith to Menzel for a 6 goal haul.
goal of the year to motlop.
mark of the year to vardy.....

:rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow::rainbow:
No clark, blicavs, lonegan or murdoch?

Something I hadn't really thought of, I spotted this in a comment on Facebook
"Going to be a very different looking cats side next year.
Danger
Henderson
S Selwood
Smith
Then all the injured players returning
Menzel
Vardy
Stanley
Duncan
Cowan
Clark"

If it happens we are no longer rebuilding we are circa 2005

No clark, blicavs, lonegan or murdoch?
couldn't make it work. Clark could replace one of vardy, smith or stanley, but hard to judge on exposed for.
Blitz i cannot see a role for in that lineup unless he is tagging instead of scooter. Lonners will be on a walking frame by then and murdoch could replace gregson or lang, but its 6 one way half a dozen the other. wouldn't phase me if those three were changed around.

As luck (or not) would have it, I bumped into the resident Hawthorn supporter at work a minute ago. An otherwise top fellow, when talking about football he can have his moments like the best of 'em. So anyway, I asked him if he thought that getting rid of Lake and Hale had anything to do with going after Hendo and Smith, and his response was: "Nah, we don't want those spuds so we'll let you guys have them, along with the overrated Dangerfield". :rolleyes:

Calling them spuds and overrated is usually code for 'You bastards'

couldn't make it work. Clark could replace one of vardy, smith or stanley, but hard to judge on exposed for.
Blitz i cannot see a role for in that lineup unless he is tagging instead of scooter. Lonners will be on a walking frame by then and murdoch could replace gregson or lang, but its 6 one way half a dozen the other. wouldn't phase me if those three were changed around.
It's not unrealistic to suggest that Blicavs might have a Carji Greeves medal to his name this year but you can't find a role for him in next years side... he's almost a walk up starter.

It's not unrealistic to suggest that Blicavs might have a Carji Greeves medal to his name this year but you can't find a role for him in next years side... he's almost a walk up starter.

Only going to get better. Just needs the load shared a bit which hopefully he will get next year.

absolutely not unrealistic. he had a good solid year.
i however can't find what role he would play in the side i listed. more than happy for him to be in there, but who are you pulling out, and how does that change impact on the balance of the side? happy to be shown how to tweak it to be a better line up. then i will fax it to HQ and we are good to go for the premiership.

absolutely not unrealistic. he had a good solid year.
i however can't find what role he would play in the side i listed. more than happy for him to be in there, but who are you pulling out, and how does that change impact on the balance of the side? happy to be shown how to tweak it to be a better line up. then i will fax it to HQ and we are good to go for the premiership.
You could start with Bartel.

You could start with Bartel.
i think his leadership and experience, plus football ability have him well ahead of blitz. not to mention i struggle to see blitz playing a medium marking forward/part time mid role. You are using blitz's possible carji to say he should be in the side, well bartel's 3 premierships, norm smith and brownlow probably also need some consideration.

Blicavs would be in the first half-dozen players selected each week because of the utility role he plays and the versatility he adds to the side. When we lost Lonergan against North last year (concussion), we sent Blicavs to play in the backline where he matched up on Daws, a contest he comprehensively won, Blicavs then held his spot in the backline for the contest against the Swans the following week. He has the ability to go into the ruck, he can play midfield and his contested marking ability improves each match where he is a reliable marking target.

If a spot for Blicavs can't be found I would be worried.

i think his leadership and experience, plus football ability have him well ahead of blitz. not to mention i struggle to see blitz playing a medium marking forward/part time mid role. You are using blitz's possible carji to say he should be in the side, well bartel's 3 premierships, norm smith and brownlow probably also need some consideration.
Then we re-draft Ablett snr... I hear he 'used' to be a champion. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back