2016 Giants Preseason News All In Here

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I agree with the preceding comments regarding Mohr, Marchbank and Corr. The latter two have a strong future, I think, but there's games that we'll win with the bigger-bodied Mohr (once he's fit) - along the lines of Vic pokiesmon's thoughts. Interesting that there's been much less news about Mohr's recovery timeline than in 204-15. This time last year he was being talked up for a round 1 return after a July ACL. In 2015 he did the knee in mid-May and nothing has been said that I've seen. Understand that GWS would be cautious second-time-round, and it would take longer to be sure it's fully healed, so wonder when we'll see him back on the field.

fridgeman

Premiership Player
Jan 26, 2014
AFL Club
GWS
I am sure most are counting the days till the games start and just checking if anyone has been down to a training session to see if they have started drills or if it is mostly running? Guessing the rain made it unlikely?
Good to watch the pre season show on the website and Griffen looks like he should step up this year with better fitness and Whitfield still looks like he needs to go to the gym with Shiel
Any reports on the injury front
Haynes, due to start modified training at the start of the year
Patfull, due to start modified training at the start of the year
Mohr, rehab from his second ACL. He was mentioned in an earlier post as running one of the time trials late last year which is a good sign.
Has the club released a date for the intraclub game?

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Report on all draftees & rookies at http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-...tees-faring-during-their-first-afl-preseasons

I'm guessing that the info has been provided by the clubs themselves, since most of it puts positive spin on everyone. The GWS write-ups, though, are incredibly bland to me. Dan Lloyd's is the interesting one, though, talking about an x-factor. Something I think GWS has been looking for in a small/medium forward, for example in Jarrod Pickett, and something that Jed Lamb just didn't bring.

GWS-sb-AFLM.jpg

Jacob Hopper: Doesn't look out of place amongst the midfield group, with his mature body for a teenager already proving to be an asset in clearance work.
Matthew Kennedy: The country boy is already a popular member of the club and has settled well with his former academy teammates.
Harry Himmelberg: Learning plenty from senior talls Jeremy Cameron and Jon Patton, and doesn't look out of place amongst the leading forwards.
Matthew Flynn: Told media when drafted he was excited to start working with Shane Mumford and has impressed coaching staff with his attitude.

ROOKIES
Sam Reid:
No surprise that the former GWS-listed forward looks right at home back on the list, and training standards continue to shine.
Daniel Lloyd: A part-timer footballer working his way into professional mode, but looks classy in skills work and definitely has a touch of x-factor about him. - Adam Curley

Couple of other interesting write-ups (for me at least). I would have liked to have seen Jock Cornell drafted as a GWS rookie, and one of the defenders drafted as well.
Jock Cornell: Cornell, the cousin of Essendon's Joe Daniher, is a neat player who uses the ball well. He has shown his skills at training, but again is unlikely to see senior action in 2016.
Michael Hartley: The ex-Magpie rookie has played on all of Essendon's key forwards in training and has held his own. Like Brown, his opportunities are set to be enhanced with Hurley and Hooker's absences. Came fifth in the club's time trial.
Nicholas Coughlan: Hasn't missed a session since joining the Saints as a 19-year-old, reading the ball well in drills and learning his craft as a tall defender. Has shown a great willingness to work hard and the Saints would like him to add weight.

Andre the Giant

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2012
Melbourne, VIC
AFL Club
GWS
Report on all draftees & rookies at http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-01-...tees-faring-during-their-first-afl-preseasons

I'm guessing that the info has been provided by the clubs themselves, since most of it puts positive spin on everyone. The GWS write-ups, though, are incredibly bland to me. Dan Lloyd's is the interesting one, though, talking about an x-factor. Something I think GWS has been looking for in a small/medium forward, for example in Jarrod Pickett, and something that Jed Lamb just didn't bring.

GWS-sb-AFLM.jpg

Jacob Hopper: Doesn't look out of place amongst the midfield group, with his mature body for a teenager already proving to be an asset in clearance work.
Matthew Kennedy: The country boy is already a popular member of the club and has settled well with his former academy teammates.
Harry Himmelberg: Learning plenty from senior talls Jeremy Cameron and Jon Patton, and doesn't look out of place amongst the leading forwards.
Matthew Flynn: Told media when drafted he was excited to start working with Shane Mumford and has impressed coaching staff with his attitude.

ROOKIES
Sam Reid:
No surprise that the former GWS-listed forward looks right at home back on the list, and training standards continue to shine.
Daniel Lloyd: A part-timer footballer working his way into professional mode, but looks classy in skills work and definitely has a touch of x-factor about him. - Adam Curley

Couple of other interesting write-ups (for me at least). I would have liked to have seen Jock Cornell drafted as a GWS rookie, and one of the defenders drafted as well.
Jock Cornell: Cornell, the cousin of Essendon's Joe Daniher, is a neat player who uses the ball well. He has shown his skills at training, but again is unlikely to see senior action in 2016.
Michael Hartley: The ex-Magpie rookie has played on all of Essendon's key forwards in training and has held his own. Like Brown, his opportunities are set to be enhanced with Hurley and Hooker's absences. Came fifth in the club's time trial.
Nicholas Coughlan: Hasn't missed a session since joining the Saints as a 19-year-old, reading the ball well in drills and learning his craft as a tall defender. Has shown a great willingness to work hard and the Saints would like him to add weight.

According to that article nearly every new kid brought in is going to be a gun!

Passed some time during the long off season!

Big Stinky Monk

All Australian
Aug 26, 2004
Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
I went down and had a look at the boys train this morning. A tough 2hr boxing session in some very hot conditions. Some observations:

- Stevie J definitely not here for a holiday. He was paired up with Griff for sparring and both were ripping in as hard (if not harder) than some of the younger blokes.

- Rory Lobb looking very fit, although very lean. I'm tipping him to emerge from the logjam of ruckmen to be Mummy's deputy this season.

- Tommo is an aggressive beast with the boxing gloves on. I noticed a few blokes subtly trying to avoid getting partnered with him to spar. Whitters, Kenners and Kelly will be sporting a few bruises tonight.

- The new draftees all seem well adjusted and well entrenched in the playing group.

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
I went down and had a look at the boys train this morning. A tough 2hr boxing session in some very hot conditions. Some observations:

- Stevie J definitely not here for a holiday. He was paired up with Griff for sparring and both were ripping in as hard (if not harder) than some of the younger blokes.

- Rory Lobb looking very fit, although very lean. I'm tipping him to emerge from the logjam of ruckmen to be Mummy's deputy this season.

- Tommo is an aggressive beast with the boxing gloves on. I noticed a few blokes subtly trying to avoid getting partnered with him to spar. Whitters, Kenners and Kelly will be sporting a few bruises tonight.

- The new draftees all seem well adjusted and well entrenched in the playing group.

Yeah was there as well.Agree about Griff and Stevie J and Thommo

Few other observations:

Second year players Party Mckenna and Finlayson look noticeably stronger as did Kelly up close

Nothing new but Hopper and Kennedy look as strong as seasoned vets.

Stewart didn't box.Had his foot in an ice bucket but wasn't on crutches . Dev didn't box and had his elbow bandaged.

Across the board we look noticeably stronger than last year

Vic pokiesmon

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Thommo does seem to have a harder edge to him this preseason.Hopefully it transcends to the field

Sep 18, 2009
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

how did Kennedys high marking feature against AFL teammates?

Today was an advertised kids session, but i have been down there before and just wandered in to watch some field sessions. We have an incredibly accessible club.
The coffee shop, which is open to the public overlooks the field so if they are outside it's totally free access, awesome setup..

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/video/2016-01-22/giants-first-crack

Apparently first session of match simulation; 2 x 20 minute halves. The footage is a bit grainy, and of course it's just snippets, so hard to tell too much.

However:
  • Dylan Shiel looks in fantastic shape
  • Toby Greene seemed right in amongst it as usual
  • Matt Flynn was pretty mobile in a couple of clips
  • at one point it looks like Stevie J and Devon Smith were having a bit of a discussion (as teammates) - good to see

Back