Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
Okay so all 2016 List Discussion goes in here.

Numbers the first thing on the agenda and I see the club have asked for number feedback on Twitter.

Comparing to 2015, we have lost half a season of Chris Judd, ordinary non committed seasons from Yarran, Henderson and Menzel, an okay season by Carrazzo, and a great season by Bell.

We may get back half a season from Gibbs, Kreuzer and a full season from Thomas. Plus almost a full season from Graham. Then we look at the players coming in and what they might achieve. Then we look at a cohesive, disciplined team under the tutelage of an impressive new coach.

Will we, and should we be worse in 2016?

Comparing to 2015, we have lost half a season of Chris Judd, ordinary non committed seasons from Yarran, Henderson and Menzel, an okay season by Carrazzo, and a great season by Bell.

We may get back half a season from Gibbs, Kreuzer and a full season from Thomas. Plus almost a full season from Graham. Then we look at the players coming in and what they might achieve. Then we look at a cohesive, disciplined team under the tutelage of an impressive new coach.

Bottom two again I would have thought. Next year will be hard enough with the players we have lost, but learning a new game plan on top of that will make it hard to win many games. Happy with that knowing that in the long term we'll be better for going through this.

They (who-ever they are) tell me talls take longer to mature, and if you go by the Hawks/Swans/Cats/WCE blueprint, they only run 2 tall back/2 tall forward, a ruck and a swingman.

Now I've got 16 midfield spots to fill, Round One 2016.

We are goddam light years away.

They (who-ever they are) tell me talls take longer to mature, and if you go by the Hawks/Swans/Cats/WCE blueprint, they only run 2 tall back/2 tall forward, a ruck and a swingman.

We're 1 year into a 3 year rebuild. If we do most things right we're about 4-5 years away from pushing into the finals again.

Our average height is now 189.34cms. That's a huge average, maybe even too big historically as Numbers indicated.

Our average games is 53.26. Extremely low.

Our average goals per player per game is 0.31. This basically means that we are on target to score 7 goals per game. Naturally there are players who haven't had opportunity and some will kick a lot more goals than ever before, but we are starting from a low base.

Next year is the year for midfielders in the draft. Slim pickings this year.

However 16 midfielders/flankers?

Walker
Murphy
Gibbs
Simpson
Buckley
Cripps
Boekhorst
Docherty
Graham
Everitt
E Curnow
Byrne
Thomas
Tuohy
Kerridge
Wright

With Sheehan, Armfield, Whiley, Tutt, Smith, Rainbow next and Lamb, Sumner, Gallucci, Cuningham, C Curnow as depth.

They are there and they are developing. Jury is out on some but they will be given every chance. Need some luck with injuries for a change.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bottom two again I would have thought. Next year will be hard enough with the players we have lost, but learning a new game plan on top of that will make it hard to win many games. Happy with that knowing that in the long term we'll be better for going through this.
Sorry HBF, I don't buy into the "learning a new game plan" taking a long time. A good, "teaching" coach and a disciplined side, not necessarily a good side, but a disciplined side can learn a new game plan in a pre season. The Dogs did it in even less time than that.
They have a dozen coaches, endless video, countless meetings, hours on the track and they virtually live at the club. A new game plan should not take more than a few weeks to learn...

Point I make is, we had an open Gattling Gun at anyone in the first 12, and didn't take a mid.

Surely 3 out of that top 12 are mids.

Even going by your lofty averages, we missed a trick at a mid-fielder on Monday???

I don't rate half of our tall timber. List fillers unless they can find something in a year or two. We are looking to find half a dozen bona fide star KPPs.

Mids can come on in a couple of years. We have enough to keep us going in the interim and can go to the well in next year's draft.

The only mids worth one of our first 3 picks were Parish and Oliver and they were gone. Remember 3 gun mids were unavailable to us as Academy players. The only one we missed is Milera and we would have had to take him at #8 as the Crows pounced next pick. He was no gimme at #8. Curnow at least looks like having the athleticism and tank to play midfield and is only 191cm so has that utility value. 1 KPD, 1 KPF, one third tall/utility/midfielder and 1 genuine midfielder. Oh and SOSOS who looks like a third tall at either end but is a long way away still.

How does our age average stack up with rest of the comp?

Don't really want to go looking for the other 17 teams and find birth dates and averages. Was hoping someone on their boards would have done it.

So many gaps to fill. It makes sense to pick a few big guys now if you want to be a team on the up by 2018. Biggest problem is finding a forward set up that can kick a winning score. Need to find an extra couple of goals per quarter. Maybe baby steps next year. A goal a quarter. We've got so many new players I'm hoping one of two can slot into the forward line and kick goals.

Point I make is, we had an open Gattling Gun at anyone in the first 12, and didn't take a mid.

Surely 3 out of that top 12 are mids.

Even going by your lofty averages, we missed a trick at a mid-fielder on Monday???
Nah man by the time our second pick came around at 10 the elite mids were gone. It was a choice between Milera and Curnow really and Curnow's upside is greater.

Got the talls now, next couple of drafts will be more mids who'll develop quicker, it's a great blueprint imo.

Keen to see what guernseys the new players are given.

Was Weitering no. 30?

On the night I think.

Was #36 for Vic Country and #31 for Dandenong Stingrise (sic)

1 year into a three year rebuild and we turned over 15 players in year one. stocked up on kpp's and now have options in most positions. i would envisage that we would look at bringing in between 10-15 talented kids over the next 2 years. mostly mids or running players who can use the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back