Analysis 2016 List Management Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this a fair round one team? I am not suggesting that this is our best 22 as there's a number of changes that I would hope to make throughout the season (e.g. the development of the younger players into becoming firm best 22 players) but experience and readiness for AFL round one football:

FF Everitt - Casboult - Walker
HF Thomas - Gorringe - Kerridge
C ECurnow - Gibbs - Wright
HB Simpson - Rowe - Doherty
FB Weitering - Jamison - Tuohy
RU Kruezer - Cripps - Murphy
IC White - Buckley - Sumner - Boekhorst

Other (oldest-youngest): Armfield, Wood, Sheehan, Jones, Phillips, Korcheck, Lamb, Whiley, Graham, Plowman, Jaksch, Dick, Byrne, Foster, Smith, Viojo-Rainbow, Gowers, Glass-McCasker, CCurnow, Cunningham, Silvagni, McKay

The retirees next season appear to be Simmo (unless he plays on, which I hope he does), Armfield (almost delisted this year surely 2016 is the "thanks for everything good luck" year) and Wood (same deal just less tentured than Army).

Is this a fair round one team? I am not suggesting that this is our best 22 as there's a number of changes that I would hope to make throughout the season (e.g. the development of the younger players into becoming firm best 22 players) but experience and readiness for AFL round one football:

Other (oldest-youngest): Armfield, Wood, Sheehan, Jones, Phillips, Korcheck, Lamb, Whiley, Graham, Plowman, Jaksch, Dick, Byrne, Foster, Smith, Viojo-Rainbow, Gowers, Glass-McCasker, CCurnow, Cunningham, Silvagni, McKay

The retirees next season appear to be Simmo (unless he plays on, which I hope he does), Armfield (almost delisted this year surely 2016 is the "thanks for everything good luck" year) and Wood (same deal just less tentured than Army).

I can see Graham in for Sumner, perhaps Plowman in for White, unsure about whether Gorringe plays or we go a more mobile set up. Someone will jump up during the preseason and steal a spot. Weitering is dead set sold on playing from the outset so I agree there. Can also see Charlie Curnow jumping up and getting a spot.

Weitering an outside chance but I would be surprised.

He's a confident lad.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2015-...ck-weitering-cant-wait-to-get-started/6971388

And Weitering believed he was ready to make an instant impression and immediately win senior selection at the lowly Blues, who won just four games this season and finished last.

"I would like to think so," said Weitering, who captained the undefeated Victorian Country side to this year's national under-18 championship.

"I obviously have just got to put my head down and bum up and get stuck into pre-season.

"And you have got to look at the mental and physical aspects of it.

"But I will communicate with ... all the people that make a football club run and make sure it's suitable that I get in the starting 18

We're 1 year into a 3 year rebuild. If we do most things right we're about 4-5 years away from pushing into the finals again.
Even Serge has said that we are about 5 years away from the pointy end of the competition...

Point I make is, we had an open Gattling Gun at anyone in the first 12, and didn't take a mid.

Surely 3 out of that top 12 are mids.

Even going by your lofty averages, we missed a trick at a mid-fielder on Monday???

We had big needs for KPP players and they were available...so we took them.

Get the spine right first. People keep saying most of the top players next year will be mids as well.

Id hope that Plowman and Jaksch could perform well enough to take Rowe and White's spot, even though i like them.
Graham instead of Sumner.

I don't know about the rest but the talks I want to play round one

back
plowman wietering Jameson

forward
cassoulet Everett curnow

rucks
Kruezer/phillips

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's probably about 8 guys playing for their footy lives this year.

Armfield, Foster, Tutt, Jones, Dick, Wright, Whiley and to a lesser extent, Gorringe, Clem and Rainbow. Byrne and Sheehan almost definitely get upgraded next year and you probably want to take 5 players in the national draft.

Our midfield is injury prone at the top end and very Cripps reliant to make it look any type of competitive....we've taken utility types like Wright and Kerridge but we're in huge need of one or two elite midfield contributors.

Still early days of the rebuild but tried comparing the current hawks side with our side in 2019 minus any recruits. Everyone is currently 26 or under except for murphs. Obviously players arent going to live up to the hype and such but this is more of an optimistic view on it. Cant say im an expert on the hawks list either but with good development of these players for me its a side playing finals.

FB: Buckley8 JGM7 Weitering10
HB: Docherty8 Plowman8 Touhy7
C: Cunningham8 Murphy9 Gibbs8
FOLL: Kru8 Cripps10 E.Curnow6
HF: Boeky7 McKay8 Kerridge7
FF: Everitt7 Jacksh7 C.Curnow8
I/C: Lamb6 Sumner6 Graham7 Gorringe6
=220

FB: Stratton8 Frawley8 Gibson9
HB: Burgoyne8 Spangher7 Birchall8
C: Hill8 Mitchell10 Smith8
FOLL: McEvoy8 Lewis9 Hodge10
HF: Rioli8 Schoenmakers7 Gunston9
FF: Breust9 Roughead9 Puopolo7
I/C: Ceglar6 Duryea6 Shiels7 Hartung7
=239

This is probably a little hopeful on some players but if we were able to bring in 1 first rounder every year for the next 4 years that ends up an 8-9 and say 1 FA at 9 and take out the bottom 5, it ends up with 233ish and not that far away. Personally with good development, I can see a very good side slowly forming. For the first time in a while I see a direction we're moving and its exciting.

There's probably about 8 guys playing for their footy lives this year.

Armfield, Foster, Tutt, Jones, Dick, Wright, Whiley and to a lesser extent, Gorringe, Clem and Rainbow. Byrne and Sheehan almost definitely get upgraded next year and you probably want to take 5 players in the national draft.

Our midfield is injury prone at the top end and very Cripps reliant to make it look any type of competitive....we've taken utility types like Wright and Kerridge but we're in huge need of one or two elite midfield contributors.

Easy to see another 9 to 12 guys moved on, whether by trade or de-listing.

Jones has a lot to prove next year but if he can't get it right, then I can understand us cutting him a year early. Give it your best shot Liam.
As you say, Armfield. Tutt, Dick, Wright and Whiley along with Gowers are the next grouping that need to show plenty.

Gorringe may have been given two years. Does anyone know for a fact?
DVR will also need to do heaps this year as if he can't become the outside runner/winger we hoped for, then there may not be another contract.
Smith is in a better position as he has something we don't have a lot of.

Then we have the possibility of trading out a couple of players as well as the possibility of a couple of retirements (Simpson, Walker...knee) and all of a sudden we have a dozen players involved.

Point I make is, we had an open Gattling Gun at anyone in the first 12, and didn't take a mid.

Surely 3 out of that top 12 are mids.

Even going by your lofty averages, we missed a trick at a mid-fielder on Monday???
Class mids were either academy or gone by our 2nd and 3rd picks. Who did we miss? A good recruiter will expand his vision to more than the current draft. Knowing that next year is really midfield strong the correct call was to deliver on the strength of this draft.
Look at it this way 2013 was a strong midfielders draft where mids like the Bont available at pick 5, Sheed pick 10, CRIPPS at pick 13 all the way through to Dumont at pick 30. The all look great value for their draft position and were highly rated as well. Comparatively to this year the academy kids, Oliver and Parish were the only mids that really rated, after that it was very speculative.
Next year we'll be armed with a top 5 pick, hopefully with some fancy footwork from SOS another pick in the top 10-15 and a high pick in the 2nd round. That's potentially another Bont, another Cripps and another z.merrett.
I know what I'd much rather have. We utilised the strength of the draft for our rebuild which will serve us better in the long run.
Remember, it doesn't matter how much you polish a turd, it will still be a turd and will never be a diamond.

Sorry HBF, I don't buy into the "learning a new game plan" taking a long time. A good, "teaching" coach and a disciplined side, not necessarily a good side, but a disciplined side can learn a new game plan in a pre season. The Dogs did it in even less time than that.
They have a dozen coaches, endless video, countless meetings, hours on the track and they virtually live at the club. A new game plan should not take more than a few weeks to learn...

Unless its a MM game plan:mad::mad::mad:

What numbers would you like to see on the new players?

Available numbers
2, 5, 10, 11, 13, 19, 20, 23, 28, 30, 34, 37, 44+

2 - Jacob Weitering
5 - Nil
10 - Harry McKay
11 - Jack Silvagni
13 - Sam Kerridge
19 - David Cuningham
20 - Jesse Glass-McCasker
23 - Liam Sumner
28 - Jed Lamb
30 - Lachie Plowman
34 - Charlie Curnow
37 - Andrew Galluci
44 - Andrew Phillips
45 - Daniel Gorringe
46 - Matt Korcheck
47 - Matthew Wright

2 - Jacob Weitering
5 - Nil
10 - Harry McKay
11 - Jack Silvagni
13 - Sam Kerridge
19 - David Cuningham
20 - Jesse Glass-McCasker
23 - Liam Sumner
28 - Jed Lamb
30 - Lachie Plowman
34 - Charlie Curnow
37 - Andrew Galluci
44 - Andrew Phillips
45 - Daniel Gorringe
46 - Matt Korcheck
47 - Matthew Wright
Yeah I'd have it similiar.

Except...

2 McKay
10 Weitering
11 Silvagni
13 Cuningham
19 Kerridge
20 Lamb
23 C.Curnow
28 Sumner
30 Plowman
34 JGM
37 Wright
44 Phillips
45 Gorringe
46 Galluci
47 Korcheck

2 Weitering, 5 Curnow, 10 Mckay, 11 SOSOS, 13 Plow, rest not fussed.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What numbers would you like to see on the new players?

Available numbers
2, 5, 10, 11, 13, 19, 20, 23, 28, 30, 34, 37, 44+

11. Weitering
The number has been disrespected a fair bit since the great man .
Imagine Bruce Doull presenting the jumper to Weitering ...
Couldn't think of a better way to usher in the new Carlton !!

One of the Silvagni boys will inherit the no.1 when the time is right ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back