Oppo Camp 2016 non-Geelong match and general football (Australian Rules) discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 8, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Not good for Roughy.

Bad injury not a common occurrence at the Hawks either.

They've had injury problems before. What's not a common occurrence is them getting big injuries that sideline players come finals. They seem to be able to have everyone fit and firing when the big stuff starts. In 2014, they had a terrible run of injuries but still managed to make the top 4 and had everyone back in time for finals. Given Roughy's injury will supposedly keep him out for the first half of the season and he'll therefore be right for finals, it seems to fit into a similar mold.

Still, the Hawks need to win games early, and he's an important player for them.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
They've had injury problems before. What's not a common occurrence is them getting big injuries that sideline players come finals. They seem to be able to have everyone fit and firing when the big stuff starts. In 2014, they had a terrible run of injuries but still managed to make the top 4 and had everyone back in time for finals. Given Roughy's injury will supposedly keep him out for the first half of the season and he'll therefore be right for finals, it seems to fit into a similar mold.

Still, the Hawks need to win games early, and he's an important player for them.

Yep......the emphasis of my second sentence was on the word 'bad'.

Will be interesting to see how they compose their side and cope without him.

Going to be hard coming back after 6 months and hitting potential finals with limited fitness, confidence issues etc.

Not having Jelwood will hurt us more than not having Roughead will hurt them.

Would've thought a KPF would've been harder to replace than a midfielder myself. Roughead's done a great job of nullifying Taylor's ability to take intercepting marks during our last few encounters too.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
He's been their best player of the last 5 years. Huge loss.

Not in the big man department,Hale, Lake, and now Roughead will excuse the pun stretch them.
Could well be a rude shock to them really.. missing 3 talls from their 3peat plus their key mids another year older..

Won't be the end of their year but could throw them out for a bit

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
Could well be a rude shock to them really.. missing 3 talls from their 3peat plus their key mids another year older..

Won't be the end of their year but could throw them out for a bit
It will be a test for opposition coaches as well especially those who play them early on as the Dwarf won't be sitting on his hand doing nothing,I expect he will again bring something else out of the bag of tricks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
No real need to be abusive Bobby, guess we could say the same about you if we felt inclined, that you think what happened in 2008 would be replicated in 2011.

Not sure why you're so hell bent on trying to convince everyone we would probably have lost the GF had the Hawks made it, Geelong were practically unstoppable right throughout that entire finals series, including a comfortable win against Hawthorn just four weeks earlier.

The Hawks have got into his head. He calls it being realistic, but really, it's just pushing his insecurities onto anyone else who wants to actually predict that the Cats will do well. He comes along for the ride if we win and then has the pleasure of saying that we're idiots who will never learn if we lose. It's fine to talk about current form, but it's plain silly to talk about a premiership year in 2011 - and suggest that we would have lost to a team that's playing well now.

Richmond might as well say that about our dominance over them currently and their flags in the past. 'Imagine if we played Geelong of 2007 in 1980? They would have beaten us!' And the Hawks don't really have that repeated dominance over us anyway. It's just been a few games.

Imagine being fearful and predicting that you are going to lose in every encounter with your rival? In my experience, it's incredibly dangerous to have this sort of mindset. You're destined to lose the game mentally before you even set foot on the playing field.

Being realistic is planning for your opponent or battle. Then executing it while having a positive mindset. I saw Federer and Murray lose to Djokovic. Yet neither would say 'well that's it, he's going to beat me again next time'. That's a losers mindset.

Geelong were stomping teams in that series. It wasn't like 2008, (we do learn from our mistakes), and being down in 2011 in the GF, having one of our dominant consistent forwards doing his shoulder, relying on a young forward to find form, and then having guys like Jimmy, Joel and Stevey on one leg driving the team forward ruthlessly showed that we would have beaten anyone.

Collingwood were the best team that year, not the Hawks - and we beat them as the underdog.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
It will be a test for opposition coaches as well especially those who play them early on as the Dwarf won't be sitting on his hand doing nothing,I expect he will again bring something else out of the bag of tricks.
He doesn't have a bag of tricks. He has an elite system and a very well drilled team. And every coach in the league would be planning to beat the Hawks or at least test them.

This is a big blow for them. He is a vital cog in their system, a leader, and a game breaker. They wouldn't just be sitting back, looking at Clarko and thinking, wonder what great new move he's going to come up with. Just won't happen. Their equilibrium has already been rocked with Lake and Hale finishing up. Add another year to their champions and it won't be easy.

manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
The rest of the competition have been planning on beating them the last three preseasons. Nothing new this year.
Gunston, Rioli, Puopolo, Breust, Shoenmakers is still a superior forward line to Geelong's Hawkins, Menzel, Lang, Gregson, Clark. We have an adantage with our midfielders who rotate forward as Dangerfield, Duncan, Caddy & Motlop are good for 1 goal each game but Hawthorn's Hodge, Hill & Smith combined for over 60 goals last year which is roughly one per game as well. The other bloke who will test us is McEvoy. Since joining Hawthorn, he's kicked a goal against us so I wouldn't bet against McEvoy filling in for Roughead inside fifty for long duration's.

Says a lot when they have Shoenmakers and are still probably better up forward :(

Duncan and Dangerfield should be good for a goal a game each this year, let's see how that goes.

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
Roughead to miss first half of the season. Requires complete pcl reco.
Could you imagine the meltdowns happening on this board if this happened at Geelong? A pre-existing injury turns in to a major surgery and 5 months out at the start of Feb?

Just goes to show that this sort of thing can happen at all clubs, even the well run clubs.

Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Could you imagine the meltdowns happening on this board if this happened at Geelong? A pre-existing injury turns in to a major surgery and 5 months out at the start of Feb?

Just goes to show that this sort of thing can happen at all clubs, even the well run clubs.

Absolutely. You are always going to get some injuries. No matter what. The trick is try and limit their impact.

00VicWard001

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 3, 2011
AFL Club
Geelong
instead of being a big shot VicWard and calling me out as you have just done, how about putting your money where your mouth is?
I guarantee you will not. The very fact we are Hawthorn's bitches doesn't seem to phase you one little bit.
It is going to be no different in round one despite bookies having us relatively good odds compared to recent years.
So put your money where that mouth of yours is and show us all just how certain you are that what I talk is insecurities and nonsense.

And we weren't even underdogs against Collingwood in 2011 so get your facts straight!
What on earth are you on about? You suggested that we'd have lost to Hawthorn in 2011, I suggested that you were wrong. You suggested that we were all idiots, I suggested that Hawthorn have gotten into your head and now you expected us to lose against them going into games.

The fact that we were the favourites for the 2011 final proves my point even more - we beat the second favourite and would have beaten the Hawks.

TEDDY24INC

Club Legend
Apr 3, 2008
Mt.evelyn
AFL Club
Geelong
nope, I'm not kidding.
Hawkins played on an unfit defender for starters and Hawthorn have always matched up well on us no matter where both teams stand on the ladder.
The game played earlier that year was another close encounter where we eventually won by 3 goals.
The fact Clarkson would have had a couple of weeks to review what wrong in the first finals and make necessary adjustments, I'm not sure
how any sane Geelong supporter could predict a 7/8 goal win.
Did you not sit through the 2008 grand final after we were predicted to win by 8 goals?
You've officially lost it, we spanked Hawthorn in the qualifying final and would've done so in the gf. We peaked in September unlike 08, the hawks or pies were no match for us at our best in 2011, and we bought it in september

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back