2016 NTFA SEASON

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't reckon they will be able to give junior players "home club" status, otherwise it would substantially disadvantage clubs without a junior system. Such disadvantage runs counter to the underlying intention of the points system, which is to create a more even competition.

A junior player will most likely be able to play at any club they wish once they finish juniors and only be a one point player. If they choose to play state league and are good enough to make it then they are worth the four points upon return in the initial year.

What will make or break the points system is how adjustments are made to a clubs point allowance. The system needs to be flexible enough to provide clubs that have lost half their team, such as Hillwood, with a temporarily higher points cap to allow them to field a competitive side.

I believe they should include juniors! Some of these clubs put hours and hours and dollars of work into these kids only for them to never play a senior game for the club. I have no issue if a kid wants to go have a crack at State League footy but when you hear of other NTFA clubs offering up substantial amounts of money to 16,17,18 year olds?
I've heard of 16year olds being offered $150 a game at some clubs!

At the least the points will hopefully make clubs think twice about who they're offering money too as opposed to just offering it up to anyone!

If there is no points system for reserves you watch the reserves sides be better than the senior sides!
Some already are! You cant tell me that Souths reserves this year or Bridgenorth reserves if the last few years would have given some of the bottom senior sides a run for their money?

I believe they should include juniors! Some of these clubs put hours and hours and dollars of work into these kids only for them to never play a senior game for the club. I have no issue if a kid wants to go have a crack at State League footy but when you hear of other NTFA clubs offering up substantial amounts of money to 16,17,18 year olds?
I've heard of 16year olds being offered $150 a game at some clubs!

At the least the points will hopefully make clubs think twice about who they're offering money too as opposed to just offering it up to anyone!
Agreed, as i mentioned in one of my earlier posts. We want to encourage people to stay loyal and discourage those people who jump ship year to year just for money.

By jumping s**t, and not being loyal there points will go up and eventually theyll have to play somewhere for little money or accept to stay loyal.

I'm not digging anyone here, its just the bugger picture.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Bulldog view, you're clearly looking at this through the

Bulldog view, I wonder if you would hold such an "open minded" view of the world if a VFL side had entered the TSL when South Launceston were a part of the league. Then went on to win the first year by 10 goals, the second by nearly 20 goals and had recruited for the third year to win by 20+ goals.

Your statement of other clubs offering money to the players South gets pretty much for "free" is also part of the reason why it's urgent a system needs to be implemented.
you are jumping at shadows. for a start, in the first year, 2014, every player who played in the premiership team was a recruit. South did not have 1 player. Remember, they were all "recruited"to the Western Storm. unusual circumstances. South were not loaded up with TSL players. In fact as mentioned previously Deloraine whom they beat in the grand final had more ex South TSL players. If South were to win next year's grand final by 20+ goals (Highly unlikely..shadows) it says more about the other teams. Rocherlea have recruited well, they will be better next year than this year, they have recruited quality TSL players, should they be allowed to recruit some more if possible or should we say hang on a second fellas, we don't want you to get too good. Georgetown have recruited some quality TSL players, same deal, should they have a cap put on how good they should be or who and how many. These two teams are making an effort to improve, they will be stronger, they will be more competitive and the competition will be better and more interesting. artificially restricting this activity, particularly at NTFA grass roots level is wrong. There are plenty of quality players out there a few other clubs should go and get them. it's not South stopping you

So the Victorian Legues are to big to compare with and the old NTFA was to small? I didn't realise the current two leagues with almost 20 teams was right in that sweet spot where a monopoly should be cherished.

I will let you in on some systems that restrict how good a team can get, the draft, salary cap, zones, etc. They all stop the strong clubs from getting stronger, it is not new, not uncommon and from all the systems I have seen I believe this one suits a competition like the NTFA the best.

You have said earlier the other clubs are too lazy to recruit, and now you have said you dont know why a player chose South over another who offered more money? I'll give u the answer to this mystery, every club is out there. They are not lazy and have been offering more each year to finally land that prized recruit. Each club has different drawbacks (location, facilities, ladder position) they work hard to overcome these. But quite often the player just decides he wants the premiership on offer by the team at the top. It was not just one player who was approached by other clubs, just about all of them have been.

There will be teething problems with the new system but as I have said, it is in, so let's discuss solutions rather than just protecting our own interests.
its not about protecting interests, I happen to support a club who have won a couple in a row, but I am not looking for protection. . I am sorry but my view is that you cannot put a ceiling on any body getting better than what they are by artificial means. I believe you should strive to get better rather than trying to get the better teams weaker. your competition won't improve unless you continually lift standards. not dampen them down to contrive a closer result.
the Draft was introduced as an equalisation measure. the cap is the same for all clubs. they can only spend x dollars. it is also designed to let the worst teams get better. ie the draft order. However the salary cap also determines that you must also spend a minimum as well. it is a professional competition where wages are guaranteed. The AFL comp with its salary cap is designed to make all the other clubs close the gap by improving not by stopping Hawthorn from getting better. The player chose South because they offered a better overall package, facilities, coaches, mates, opportunities, less travel etc all better than other clubs. But I bet Rocherlea attracted some of their TSL recruits for the same reasons. and Georgetown ditto. Perhaps these players recruited by Rocherlea think they also can win a premiership, they played finals, they won the under 19's. we should not restrict Rocherlea in this endeavour because...?

you are jumping at shadows. for a start, in the first year, 2014, every player who played in the premiership team was a recruit. South did not have 1 player. Remember, they were all "recruited"to the Western Storm. unusual circumstances. South were not loaded up with TSL players. In fact as mentioned previously Deloraine whom they beat in the grand final had more ex South TSL players. If South were to win next year's grand final by 20+ goals (Highly unlikely..shadows) it says more about the other teams. Rocherlea have recruited well, they will be better next year than this year, they have recruited quality TSL players, should they be allowed to recruit some more if possible or should we say hang on a second fellas, we don't want you to get too good. Georgetown have recruited some quality TSL players, same deal, should they have a cap put on how good they should be or who and how many. These two teams are making an effort to improve, they will be stronger, they will be more competitive and the competition will be better and more interesting. artificially restricting this activity, particularly at NTFA grass roots level is wrong. There are plenty of quality players out there a few other clubs should go and get them. it's not South stopping you

This whole points system is not directing at stopping South nor stopping any other club.

Lets take South completely out if the equation and look at the system what it really is for.

35 points is probably harsh, but for the first year only. After the first year if you keep 10 players for the next year, there's a deduction of 10 points. Allows you to recruit 2-3 quality players. On top of that it promotes clubs to build from their top reserves players & in div 1 case build from u19s as well. This is not impossible.

No doubt whatsoever this points system puts a cap on South Launceston, no doubt. It just challenges them to retain their current young senior players, as well as keep the top reserve and u19 players for future years.

Now to why it is a good idea, regardless of the club obsessed views of us all on here.

Look at a bracknell, hillwood for example. 30-40 mins from town, reasonable grounds, no premierships in any grades in the last 3-4 years and have had fluctuations in success. Hillwood more so than bracknell.

Put yourself in their shoes, you have a player who might be interested, he'll naturally request $50 plus more a game just cause of the travel, he will then want other incentives given they wont be successful or dont have the facilities like a rocherlea, longford or south. Some players actually do play for success, with so many clubs in such a small region people will decide to play at a division 2 club because right now no one believe they can get near south.

How is this good for the comp?
Year in year out unless the gap will stay the same or even further between south / rocher and the top two sides.

Ntfa are here to administer a comp, not see clubs fold like fingal because so many players left and clubs were able to recruit them with no consequence. A points system would deter this, to what degree is arguable.

Then look at division 2, scotch, st pats & e'dale/fingal have been dominate sides for the past two seasons. They were beating proapect and uni who were 4th/5th by 10-15 goals comfortably on average. And meander, perth, ols and tamar had no hope. And for 2016, they probably still dont.

There's no doubt players dont want to go to clubs that arent successful, they'll go to successful teams. Theres a group that went from perth to longford to fingal then back to longford and now possible back to evandale.
How are perth & fingal going? And when did longford last make finals?
I cannot see any benefit of this, and players allowing to move to destination clubs without any restrictions to the destination club.

As everything we know, we will only think this is a bad idea if it affects us. And in this case its probably south and evandale. Both have good facilities, great committee & good coaches - im sure that this points system may only alter things for 2016 season. After that, and they retain players- they will feel no affect.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, i have never said evandale or south are head hunters that pay extraordinary amounts of money.

I think despite the critics this is the only policy that will work the longevity of the competition, thus limiting mass exodus' & placing higher value on those players who like to jump club to club for money / easy success.

To add, there's nothing worse than your best and fairest winner or best forward coming to you at the end of the season saying such and such offering $$$$ for me to play there, what do you offer? I reckon ill go etc etc. This doesn't happen at all clubs; i know, but the points system will deter this from happening all together.

Ntfa have a responsiblilty to ensure all clubs want to remain & participate in a healthy, regulated competition.

This whole points system is not directing at stopping South nor stopping any other club.

Lets take South completely out if the equation and look at the system what it really is for.

35 points is probably harsh, but for the first year only. After the first year if you keep 10 players for the next year, there's a deduction of 10 points. Allows you to recruit 2-3 quality players. On top of that it promotes clubs to build from their top reserves players & in div 1 case build from u19s as well. This is not impossible.

No doubt whatsoever this points system puts a cap on South Launceston, no doubt. It just challenges them to retain their current young senior players, as well as keep the top reserve and u19 players for future years.

Now to why it is a good idea, regardless of the club obsessed views of us all on here.

Look at a bracknell, hillwood for example. 30-40 mins from town, reasonable grounds, no premierships in any grades in the last 3-4 years and have had fluctuations in success. Hillwood more so than bracknell.

Put yourself in their shoes, you have a player who might be interested, he'll naturally request $50 plus more a game just cause of the travel, he will then want other incentives given they wont be successful or dont have the facilities like a rocherlea, longford or south. Some players actually do play for success, with so many clubs in such a small region people will decide to play at a division 2 club because right now no one believe they can get near south.

How is this good for the comp?
Year in year out unless the gap will stay the same or even further between south / rocher and the top two sides.

Ntfa are here to administer a comp, not see clubs fold like fingal because so many players left and clubs were able to recruit them with no consequence. A points system would deter this, to what degree is arguable.

Then look at division 2, scotch, st pats & e'dale/fingal have been dominate sides for the past two seasons. They were beating proapect and uni who were 4th/5th by 10-15 goals comfortably on average. And meander, perth, ols and tamar had no hope. And for 2016, they probably still dont.

There's no doubt players dont want to go to clubs that arent successful, they'll go to successful teams. Theres a group that went from perth to longford to fingal then back to longford and now possible back to evandale.
How are perth & fingal going? And when did longford last make finals?
I cannot see any benefit of this, and players allowing to move to destination clubs without any restrictions to the destination club.

As everything we know, we will only think this is a bad idea if it affects us. And in this case its probably south and evandale. Both have good facilities, great committee & good coaches - im sure that this points system may only alter things for 2016 season. After that, and they retain players- they will feel no affect.

Before anyone jumps down my throat, i have never said evandale or south are head hunters that pay extraordinary amounts of money.

I think despite the critics this is the only policy that will work the longevity of the competition, thus limiting mass exodus' & placing higher value on those players who like to jump club to club for money / easy success.

To add, there's nothing worse than your best and fairest winner or best forward coming to you at the end of the season saying such and such offering $$$$ for me to play there, what do you offer? I reckon ill go etc etc. This doesn't happen at all clubs; i know, but the points system will deter this from happening all together.

Ntfa have a responsiblilty to ensure all clubs want to remain & participate in a healthy, regulated competition.

we all have different views. my views don't change because my team is the best at the moment. I am not looking for an advantage for them. never have, just equal.
fingal fell over for other reasons so there were players available. what happens when Prospect Hawks TSL fall over . all these players will want a home. if Prospect Hawks do try and form a Senior TSL team they will recruit unhindered from whoever whenever. this will create mass exodus in some form. a points value won't determine how much a club pays a player, the club will. if a player wants to play for a particular club, how can you stop him? this is a grass roots participation competition. If a player supplements his weekly job wage with football earnings how can you stop him? if your best player wants to leave for money or whatever, you have the opportunity to talk him around but you cannot stop him if he wants to go. do you really want to pay top dollars for someone who does not want to be there? 5 mates want to play with Hillwood, but they can only play 4, the points ...wrong. You are penalising players who chase success and money ? what all of a sudden we are the moral police? if you want equalisation you cannot do it by restricting a clubs ability to get better and better, no matter who that club is. or competition. As for South. at the end of the day they can only play 22 each week. If a player is rated at say 24 on the list is continually in the 2's is not happy, thinks he can play seniors elsewhere and requests a trade for better opportunities, you get the opportunity to get him to stay but if he wants to go you can't stop him. you don't need points to work that out.

maybe the best idea would be to just rig the results on all games so that each team has its turn of success if that's what they want to achieve

a points value won't determine how much a club pays a player, the club will.
Exactly it is not a salary cap and we all know that would never work. What it will change is how many clubs are in the market for a particular player which effects supply and demand, and will most likely bring offers down.
if a player wants to play for a particular club, how can you stop him?
They are not stopping anyone from going to any club. But if a player will be playing at 12 instead of 2pm will he still want to go to that club? It is still up to the individual player.
You are penalising players who chase success and money ?
Yes. Is this a bad thing? Every club needs recruits, and some players need a change whether it be for opportunity, success or money? But restricting these movements makes for stronger clubs across the board and happier players with a realistic chance to work hard and earn success.
if you want equalisation you cannot do it by restricting a clubs ability to get better and better, no matter who that club is. or competition.
The AFL have a draft which restricts Hawthorns ability to get better and better, they do not have access to best young talent. They also have a slaray cap which is restrictive, the rich clubs cannot just blow the other clubs out of the water to get better and better. The NTFA have introduced a player points system. A restrictive system on a clubs ability to create a monopoly is not uncommon. We play at grass roots level and as it should be you will be rewarded for staying loyal to your home club or in time after a few years service to a new club.

I agree it would be great if the competition was more even , but clubs strength go in stages . Ok Scotch and South are the better sides ATM . But it won't always be the case.it doesn't take much for a club to rise up the ladder or go down the ladder. I will put my Evandale hat for a moment . They are club who wasn't so long ago getting beaten by between 100- 200 points . The club has worked its backside off to make themselves more financial.This club has only played finals 4 or 5 times in the last 15 years . Now they have got the club in good order , they won't be allowed to recruit players based on some sort of wacky points system . Same for the Scotchies and St. Pats , obviously professional and we'll run clubs who have deserved any success they have had . If clubs cannot look after themselves then they don't deserve to be in the competition. Clubs like Perth , OL's and Tamar have had a history of paying big bucks for pretty much crap players. Look where they are now . In some respects its their own fault . Evandale have finally have got their club in a good position where they can recruit obviously good players and good people . Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't . But at least they are trying. Well run clubs should not be blocked from improving their club . Times will change . Well run clubs will survive. Teams will fall , some will rise . And I think you find that this season will even up more with some lower clubs recruiting well. In a ideal world we would like the comp. to be a lot more even . But it's footy , somebody has to finish on top , somebody has to finish on the bottom.

The last 2 NTFA grand finals were played between the best 2 sides for the year that is what usually happens. ok so at the moment South are strong. but football is naturally cyclic. the wheel turns. it wasn't that long ago Georgetown won 8 ? flags in a row. now they are rebuilding. The first year back in the NTFA South started with no players, they recruited well. Despite what you may think they did not spend a fortune on players. They had no money. In this same year Deloraine had more former South players than South! they obviously could and did pay them more. This year.South didn't need to spend huge amounts of money the players were happy so they stayed. For next year they have picked up a few quality players, lost a couple and I know for a fact they are not throwing around money. Don't need to. When you are a good side you attract players. When you are a not so good side you need to offer them an incentive and or recruit smart. Usually you recruit and pay for good players, get better, win games, then your club becomes more attractive to players so you don't need to spend the big bucks. cyclic. Some of the money being thrown around by other clubs is ridiculous. So if this points system is designed to rob the good to help the poor it won't work.

Spot on

I agree it would be great if the competition was more even , but clubs strength go in stages . Ok Scotch and South are the better sides ATM . But it won't always be the case.it doesn't take much for a club to rise up the ladder or go down the ladder. I will put my Evandale hat for a moment . They are club who wasn't so long ago getting beaten by between 100- 200 points . The club has worked its backside off to make themselves more financial.This club has only played finals 4 or 5 times in the last 15 years . Now they have got the club in good order , they won't be allowed to recruit players based on some sort of wacky points system . Same for the Scotchies and St. Pats , obviously professional and we'll run clubs who have deserved any success they have had . If clubs cannot look after themselves then they don't deserve to be in the competition. Clubs like Perth , OL's and Tamar have had a history of paying big bucks for pretty much crap players. Look where they are now . In some respects its their own fault . Evandale have finally have got their club in a good position where they can recruit obviously good players and good people . Sometimes it works , sometimes it doesn't . But at least they are trying. Well run clubs should not be blocked from improving their club . Times will change . Well run clubs will survive. Teams will fall , some will rise . And I think you find that this season will even up more with some lower clubs recruiting well. In a ideal world we would like the comp. to be a lot more even . But it's footy , somebody has to finish on top , somebody has to finish on the bottom.
Bit harsh on some of the lower clubs. As u said wasn't long ago Evandale were there but I bet they were trying their best to improve each year. All clubs are trying. The Player Points won't stop clubs from being well run.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think enough on points systems otherwise we will all waste our time repeating ourselves.

Surely scotch are now clear favourites now the points system is in.

Are bracknell the benefiters in div 1 as they have a lot of players who developed from their u19s and who have been there for a few years now?

Bit harsh on some of the lower clubs. As u said wasn't long ago Evandale were there but I bet they were trying their best to improve each year. All clubs are trying. The Player Points won't stop clubs from being well run.

I wasn't really trying to knock those lower clubs, just making a point about recruiting the right sort of people . I would love Perth to be competitive again and have that old rivalry that Evandale & Perth had. Just trying to make a point , that success go' in cycles , as pointed out in earlier posts , George Town won 8 in a row , now rebuilding , Scotch and South are the better sides now , but it won't be forever . You also have to remember Scotch didn't dominate this season , St.Pats . did , Scotch played well when it mattered. Clubs need to change their culture and aspire to be one of those to sides . Evandale were down and out , never asked for pity , but Realised they had to change their club and work harder . They have , credit to them . But still need to make up some solid ground to win a flag .

I wasn't really trying to knock those lower clubs, just making a point about recruiting the right sort of people . I would love Perth to be competitive again and have that old rivalry that Evandale & Perth had. Just trying to make a point , that success go' in cycles , as pointed out in earlier posts , George Town won 8 in a row , now rebuilding , Scotch and South are the better sides now , but it won't be forever . You also have to remember Scotch didn't dominate this season , St.Pats . did , Scotch played well when it mattered. Clubs need to change their culture and aspire to be one of those to sides . Evandale were down and out , never asked for pity , but Realised they had to change their club and work harder . They have , credit to them . But still need to make up some solid ground to win a flag .
I agree with this, it does go in cycles and will continue to, also it is up to clubs to keep looking to improve and be better. Also Evandale have done a great job. The point system only tries to make the extremes of the cycle less severe. So you don't get pumped by 20 goals every week when u r at the bottom and maybe u don't win 3 or 8 in a row at the top.

TassieFooty is right tho, it's been a bit repetitive the back and forth debating so a prediction for next year. South and Scotch to win the flags again!!

Apologies if I repeat similar opinions on the Points System that have been expressed but if it does make its way into the NTFA its a massive game changer, so let me shed some light on some points that haven't been expressed.

How the NTFA could out of nowhere come up with the Points System at this stage of the year is unprofessional and out of touch with how the majority of good clubs run, with the majority of clubs already completing their recruiting drive. How about a forum involving supporters, players and committee members??? How about phasing these changes in gradually??? Or even waiting for season 2017 to trial this with an inability to recruit clubs may need a 5 year plan! Oh and how about the fact a TSL club has fallen over in the western storm/prospect hawks and another 20 or so players need to find themselves a new home all marked highly on the points system.

I feel as though this is simply limiting player talent to come into the comp. It might make it easier for teams to go from getting beat by 160 to 60 points but if anything it will mean you can only improve in small increments instead and could for the most part reinstate the status quo. A slightly closer game of footy but at a lower standard, now there's a great slogan for the competition.

Surely not putting the best team out on the field doesn't feel right no matter if your the favoured team or the underdog. Lets have a look at a few specifics without going into every club. What happens with Uni and all there players they recruit who enter the utas campus from the north west or down south? How about Meanders recruits surely you cant deny them that after the years of service they have had at Bridgenorth. In Evandale's case they have come from virtually scratch 2 years ago and built up to become a good footy side and an attractive club to go to yet the NTFA punishes them? And guess what guys South Launceston are a very good footy side but there players are ageing the wheel does turn in time. If those group of North boys who again gave a lot of service to that club decided to go to George Town or Hillwood would we even be having this discussion?

Anyways I could keep going on about how uneven junior pathways are across all these sides the fact we should look at our clubs being positive in terms of OLs trying to strengthen there grammar ties or the fact that this will just increase the dollar payed for the top players of each comp but ill save that for another day!

Trust me when I say this....things are only just heating up, the footy community as a whole wont cop this!

How the NTFA could out of nowhere come up with the Points System at this stage of the year is unprofessional and out of touch with how the majority of good clubs run, with the majority of clubs already completing their recruiting drive. How about a forum involving supporters, players and committee members??? How about phasing these changes in gradually??? Or even waiting for season 2017 to trial this with an inability to recruit clubs may need a 5 year plan! Oh and how about the fact a TSL club has fallen over in the western storm/prospect hawks and another 20 or so players need to find themselves a new home all marked highly on the points system.

There are a lot of people having their two bob's worth here who clearly have no idea what they are talking about, haven't research what discussions have occurred nor read the NTFA's proposal in this regard.

The NTFA discussed the introduction of this point based system over a year ago at the Northern Football review run by the TFC. It was then discussed at the 2014 Hydro conference which all club delegates attended. Then at their annual footy fest a the conclusion of this season it was again raised by a division 1 club and put to all the clubs for their comments and thoughts of which if the clubs had major issues with this was the time to make comments. It is not something that clubs have only just found out about or that they have decided to just introduce for the fun of it so that should be cleared up straight away.

There were a lot of clubs in favour of this because they can see where the current competition is heading. In division one you have one club who is clearly stronger than all the others, and in division two you have two/three clubs (disregarding Fingal as they have folded) who in recent times dominated the competition.

I don't think anyone is going to argue that both competitions are uneven.

It is not good for football when your top team is beating your fourth best team by over 100 points. The system needs changing.

The points system is there to discourage players from moving from club to club and in turn encourage players loyalty, it is there to create a more even competition and to create a more sustainable competition moving forward. It is there so clubs can nurture local players and provide some long term stability.

Yes all clubs have swings and roundabouts in regard to their results. Clubs are not always going to be at the top of the competition and hopefully the same clubs are not going to be at the bottom, but if clubs continue to attempt to 'buy' premierships it creates no player loyalty, no stability at that club and in the long run they will suffer, I won't harp on about which clubs have tried it because we all know who they are and each have failed. The point system should deter that type of activity, and should prevent those drastic swings and roundabouts that we all have seen happen.

Anything that is going to create a more even competition should be seen as a positive by all, and if some clubs have to review their recruiting strategy so be it, because in the long run it will serve everyone better with a more sustainable competition moving forward.

The NTFA should be applauded for thinking outside the box in this regard and trying to improve local footy in the north of the state.

Last edited:
There are a lot of people having their two bob's worth here who clearly have no idea what they are talking about, haven't research what discussions have occurred nor read the NTFA's proposal in this regard.

The NTFA discussed the introduction of this point based system over a year ago at the Northern Football review run by the TFC. It was then discussed at the 2014 Hydro conference which all club delegates attended. Then at their annual footy fest a the conclusion of this season it was again raised by a division 1 club and put to all the clubs for their comments and thoughts of which if the clubs had major issues with this was the time to make comments. It is not something that clubs have only just found out about or that they have decided to just introduce for the fun of it so that should be cleared up straight away.

There were a lot of clubs in favour of this because they can see where the current competition is heading. In division one you have one club who is clearly stronger than all the others, and in division two you have two/three clubs (disregarding Fingal as they have folded) who in recent times dominated the competition.

It is not good for football when your top team is beating your fourth best team by over 100 points. The system needs changing.

The points system is there to discourage players from moving from club to club and in turn encourage players loyalty, it is there to create a more even competition and to create a more sustainable competition moving forward. It is there so clubs can nurture local players and provide some long term stability.

Yes all clubs have swings and roundabouts in regard to their results. Clubs are not always going to be at the top of the competition and hopefully the same clubs are not going to be at the bottom, but if clubs continue to attempt to 'buy' premierships it creates no player loyalty, no stability at that club and in the long run they will suffer, I won't harp on about which clubs have tried it because we all know who they are and each have failed. The point system should deter that type of activity, and should prevent those drastic swings and roundabouts that we all have seen happen.

Anything that is going to create a more even competition should be seen as a positive by all, and if some clubs have to review their recruiting strategy so be it, because in the long run it will serve everyone better with a more sustainable competition moving forward.

The NTFA should be applauded for thinking outside the box in this regard and trying to improve local footy in the north of the state.

Some good points made (many that I was unaware of), but I'm pretty sure there was a lot of money being thrown around during Rocherlea's reign of dominance which could be considered "buying" a premiership (by some reports match payments of over $100k p.a.). The new points system would have likely prevented them from being able to do this and it may also have prevented/softened the dominance of George Town at the start of their reign by limiting the number of players that moved out there with Dale Chugg.

I agree with some other people's comments on the wheel turning on South Launceston too. Rocherlea's current playing group is mainly "locals" now and based on their list it looks like they could be the team to beat in a couple of years time as South Launceston's older brigade retires.

North announced the other day on their facebook page the 'exciting' recruitment of Jade Selby as D league coach....

how many players actually move from club to club ? how many years of service is required before you are labelled "loyal"? changing your recruiting strategy? don't recruit the best players (better?) recruit the cheapest? whichever way you look at it this points system is designed to make it harder to recruit the better players. it is interesting it is being driven by the TFC (an arm of AFL Tas). player recruiting to TSL clubs is unrestricted, yet players coming back the other way are ? hmmm. You will never even up the competition this way. No matter how good or bad your club is, this points system will not create loyalty. the reasons for players staying or leaving will not be decided by a points rating. if you are a lower positioned club, how are you going to recruit a player? "oh you are worth 5 points so you have to play with us because the higher clubs don't have enough points in the bank. but we do, forget about the club, facilities, coaches, travel. its all about the points. those other clubs want to win a premiership, not us , we want loyalty, development. but we will be good, unlike them top teams we don't have to play with the handbrake on" I can see the crowds flocking to a contrived contest. please give me a break.
The AFL have a salary cap restriction. All the clubs are equal. all this does is restrict how much you can spend. It does not restrict how good the players you recruit are. There is no attempt to stop the good clubs getting better. The draft is designed to assist the lower clubs get better.

First thing with all due respect I don't think copying and pasting a points system made for the demographic of Victoria with a far larger population, pool of players, with a lot more money coming into clubs and money going out of the clubs gives us a reason to applaud the NTFA. Secondly I know for a fact when it got voted through there were more then a few clubs not present when it was passed through. Something doesn't feel right here.

Now I will go into further underlying issues and this isn't a one team or division vs the other its just how it is a further inequity! Where's the fairness in terms of junior pathways all teams in NTFA div 1 have junior pathways while at least half of the teams in DIV 2 bar Old Scotch, St Pats, Prospect and potentially OLs have any sort of junior pathway. That means for every other div 2 sides (Perth, Evandale, Meander, Tamar, Lilydale and Uni) every player at one stage or another has to be a recruit, only played high school footy or never played for. In turn this means those div 2 sides points without a junior pathway will naturally be higher on a year to year basis. It doesn't take long for those points to add up.

To think that some points system will create loyalty is ludicrous it will actually cap potential teams development, if you think players, supporters and the footballing public will take this be prepared for some action.

I've been hearing that clubs are not ruling out walking out on the NTFA if this were to get up, how you can bring in an overhaul of the competition on such short notice.
You'll end up having clubs taking the piss with their address, "official" best and fairest and leading goal kickers.

I've been hearing that clubs are not ruling out walking out on the NTFA if this were to get up, how you can bring in an overhaul of the competition on such short notice.
You'll end up having clubs taking the piss with their address, "official" best and fairest and leading goal kickers.
Bring back the Esk!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back