2016 Pre-Season (All news, press conferences, training reports, Photos)

Remove this Banner Ad

I think only one of close/walker play as that big forward who can ruck. Need more endurance and flexability with cap on rotations schache gives that with his big engine. Something to watch

While I agree, I can't see them wanting to use Close as that fallback ruck option coming straight off a knee reco. Not unless they were over a barrel with injuries (touch wood). So that means Walker is the lock.

While I agree, I can't see them wanting to use Close as that fallback ruck option coming straight off a knee reco. Not unless they were over a barrel with injuries (touch wood). So that means Walker is the lock.

We used West as a backup Ruck off his reco though.

I wonder if we'll try a 2 Ruck setup this season...Maybe Close/Schache forward with West or Archie as a third tall...

Interested in how Lewy Taylor went. The big criticism of him has been his indirectness and we have defended him in that he hasn't had a functioning forward line to go direct to. Sounds as though that might be changing so was wondering if anyone there could comment on how he went about it when he had the ball.
Still probably not as attacking as I would like but very few backwards disposals. He just links play so well.

I definitely didn't say Merrett was struggling. He did a reasonable job, I thought. Perhaps sagged off Schache a bit too much and then couldn't make up the space but it was a really good contest between the two of them.

I'd go so far as to say that Merrett is moving better than I've seen him for a few years.
Mate what did you make of my observation re the defenders pushing the forwards wide? Was it just coincidence the camera was nearby that side (Shache and Clayton goals) or was it an obvious tactic?

Pretty glad we got Schache and not McCartin or 4 meter Peter.

Would be interesting to know where Schache rates in relation to the other big forwards of the comp (Boyd, Hogan, McCartin etc) when they were in their last year of the u18's comp. At this stage, l would probably only take Hogan infront of Schache for a young key forward.
Hogan and Cameron have been the standouts with Boyd and co are fair bit behind. But damn its hard not to start seeing him in those top 2's company

For what it is worth, just about all the rucking today was done by Martin, Smith and a top-up (Dennis, I think). I'm not sure Smith had a break. I was pleasantly surprised at the way he ran out the game although there are still too many times when he is just passive and allows the play to go on without him getting involved. Definitely wasn't disgraced in the ruck contests but Martin was obviously superior around the ground.

Mate what did you make of my observation re the defenders pushing the forwards wide? Was it just coincidence the camera was nearby that side (Shache and Clayton goals) or was it an obvious tactic?
I just think they happened to be goals closest to where the AFLQ media guys were. It wasn't a noticeable trend.

We used West as a backup Ruck off his reco though.

I wonder if we'll try a 2 Ruck setup this season...Maybe Close/Schache forward with West or Archie as a third tall...
True, but if West can't ruck after his knee reco, he's pretty much got nothing. Close is a KPP first and foremost.

thanks POBT and L Dizz. great reports. bit of comment on our forward set up possibilities. josh walker recruited to play the main key role and take the opposition best key defender so will play round 1 if fit. can't see schache and freeman playing in the same side, similar style players, but by all reports schache looks the better footballer already, hopefully jono is just a late developer. if close is ready round 1 and has shown a bit of NAB form i would like to see him given a shot, and would love to see him use that elite endurance and run and present all day CHF style and also use that endurance to but more forward pressure on. then you have another if fit and ready option in josh green who must play given his form over the last few years.
so i would like to see- josh walker, josh schache and michael close as the 3 talls plus josh green small forward and then rotating through the other forward positions players like, allen christensen, lewy taylor, dayne zorko, tom bell. would also be good to see rocky resting forward more, he is very good 1 on 1 in similar size marking contests.

Pretty glad we got Schache and not McCartin or 4 meter Peter.

Would be interesting to know where Schache rates in relation to the other big forwards of the comp (Boyd, Hogan, McCartin etc) when they were in their last year of the u18's comp. At this stage, l would probably only take Hogan infront of Schache for a young key forward.

For me I would have had them:

Boyd
Daniher
Patton and Schache
McCartin
Moore

Not saying how they will end up but that is the order I would have had them in. Hogan was picked as a bottom ager and so did not play his last year of the u18s.

Hogan and Cameron have been the standouts with Boyd and co are fair bit behind. But damn its hard not to start seeing him in those top 2's company
Cameron's 1st year in the seniors had 29 goals.
Hogan's first year in the seniors (mind you he had 2 years iirc in the seconds before he debuted so l think it was his 3rd year) had 44 goals.

I reckon if Schache can get 1/1.5 goals a game then he could get roughly around 30 goals. Definitly think that is possible if he stays in for the majority of the year as it seems like if he gets a mark it is a near certainty that he will get the goal.

For me I would have had them:

Boyd
Daniher
Patton and Schache
McCartin
Moore

Not saying how they will end up but that is the order I would have had them in. Hogan was picked as a bottom ager and so did not play his last year of the u18s.

Would you still have Boyd and Danniher that high after seeing them for a couple of seasons in the seniors?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On Hanley being fumbly since his hip surgery. I wonder if post surgery he's lost a bit of core strength which affects his ball handling skills. Still worried he'll struggle to get back to his form before the surgery.

2965b272e84ce585fd47fa78e7e45783

Interestingly both of those guys are the ultra tall types which often do take a few years. I was disappointed in both last year but I would not be writing them off at this stage.

Both should get more games this year for development (Danniher because, well, Essendon, and Boyd since Crameri is out)

Daniher looks awesome, I reckon he'll do very well as he develops

It's getting really hard to not be excited about Schache, he could Harris Andrews his first year which would just be huge for us.

Still probably not as attacking as I would like but very few backwards disposals. He just links play so well.

Absolutely. He doesn't have to have the 50m+ kick on him if he can get the ball and give off to the attacking players we do have. Thanks for the reply. Looking forward to seeing how he develops this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back