2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL. So you pass Derm's views off as your own (you didn't specify that they are his) and now you wont make any sort of judgement about their credibility. Give me a break.

Somehow I've wound up in a discussion with a mental pygmy.

The initial comment was always attributed to Brereton, unless you have spectacular comprehension issues, and the reason the comment was made is also clear. There was an assertion that anyone who didn't think McCartin has "special traits" didn't know what they were talking about. Brereton made that exact assertion. I wasn't proffering whether I agreed with him or not, I was merely confirming he held this view having heard him discuss McCartin on the back of a question from one of his on air Fox colleagues. And I'm pretty sure it happened during his best game, the Melbourne game.

If you've still got it recorded have another viewing. Or maybe another Saints fan can confirm Brereton's comments.

I hope that settles it, but I suspect I'm dealing with a special poster, so perhaps not.

So what we have established from this thread is that McCartin is a spud despite being a first year KPF and Petracca is a gun, despite coming off a knee and having never played.

Let's be real here for a moment.

McCartin would have played far more senior football last year, had Bruce not exploded on the scene and put his hand up as a key forward. He may, or may not have shown more but to question whether he has an elite AFL quality trait is ridiculous. He was always going to go Top 2. So in suggesting that, you're saying that even the Melbourne recruiting staff were going to draft a player (if he was available) that has no stand-out elite trait. Everyone has known McCartin is the long game, given his circumstances, and how he will adjust and while he hasn't shown a heap, to suggest he doesn't have an elite AFL trait is ludicrous.

I acknowledge that Petracca may we turn out to become a better player than McCartin, but there were certainly players drafted after Petracca who could turn out to be better than both. Recruiting is not a perfect science, as Melbourne supporters would be well aware of, having burnt a number of early first round selections in recent years, on players who have struggled to develop. In regards to Petracca's ACL, I think we're taking for granted how significant an injury it actually is. And while physically he may have progressed past it, mentally there will undoubtably be some demons and doubts as he aims to establish himself as a regular player in 2016. Very very very few players return to what they were capable of prior to their injury straight away.

I think that if fit Petracca will become a very good player, and I also think that Paddy will become a great full forward for the Saints but each have their challenges ahead and neither is guaranteed to become a star.

As for the Rising Star- Peter Wright is my smokie given the opportunity he'll have at the GC now that Dixon and Smith have departed.

Somehow I've wound up in a discussion with a mental pygmy.

The initial comment was always attributed to Brereton, unless you have spectacular comprehension issues, and the reason the comment was made is also clear. There was an assertion that anyone who didn't think McCartin has "special traits" didn't know what they were talking about. Brereton made that exact assertion. I wasn't proffering whether I agreed with him or not, I was merely confirming he held this view having heard him discuss McCartin on the back of a question from one of his on air Fox colleagues. And I'm pretty sure it happened during his best game, the Melbourne game.

If you've still got it recorded have another viewing. Or maybe another Saints fan can confirm Brereton's comments.

I hope that settles it, but I suspect I'm dealing with a special poster, so perhaps not.

I mistakenly thought you were the poster that made the initial comment. You weren't. Apologies.

However, the original poster never attributed it to Derm.

I stand by my comment that anyone that thinks that McCartin has no standout traits has no idea what they are talking about.

I doubt it. Mathew Richardson is the only player I can recall that immediately looked 100% in body and mind after an ACL.
Goddard looked 100% to me after his knee, Bob Murphy was another that was pretty close straight away.

Apparently will miss 4 weeks of training. Our NAB 8 weeks away. Round 1 12 weeks away. Should be fit for season going by early reports however who knows with recovery and how that goes. But can't see club rushing him at all. Still though off early reports wouldn't be surprised if he plays in 2nd or 3rd NAB.

Apparently will miss 4 weeks of training. Our NAB 8 weeks away. Round 1 12 weeks away. Should be fit for season going by early reports however who knows with recovery and how that goes. But can't see club rushing him at all. Still though off early reports wouldn't be surprised if he plays in 2nd or 3rd NAB.
Hope he doesn't end up like Scharenberg with the injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Callum mills gets through most of pre season then I think he will win in a canter

People don't realise in his bottom age he wasn't far off Heeney who was at draft age

Was robbed this season with injury , otherwise I think he may have been in the mix for the first pick ( not that it would have mattered )

doggies fans and others...

How much game time will caleb Daniel get?

How many games might he play? Does he need to rely on injuries or is he close enough to best 22?

I reckon if he plays enough, he's good enough. And I like 2nd year players with proven skills and good endurance.

Out of this year's crop, matheison looks like good value at $51?

How many games might he play? Does he need to rely on injuries or is he close enough to best 22?

I reckon if he plays enough, he's good enough. And I like 2nd year players with proven skills and good endurance.

Parish at 17 is a bargain.

Based on his late season form and the noise coming out of the club, he'll play. The absence of the sub rule will benefit him, too.

He's not going to rack up possessions in the middle, but he'll have a nice year across half forward, all going well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back