2016 Rising Stars Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

One you guys let slip it seems.

Although, you can't have them all.
Always happy to see current and former academy blokes get picked up by other clubs. Definite postives for the kids. :thumbsu:

If the academies are working it means there will be a lot of players that all four clubs miss out on because the academies will be producing more players than we can afford to get using the points system.

True, but you'll always get the cream of the crop.

Every time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One you guys let slip it seems.

Although, you can't have them all.

Choice between him or Skinner and Mathiesen so we took the two I'd suspect. And he plays a similar role to Zorko/Taylor I think, so would be lower in the pecking order. Solid player though!

True, but you'll always get the cream of the crop.

Every time.

Is that always a bad thing?

Not always. If the Swans had 2 Callum Mills in 2015, or even if Heeney was a year younger and was in the 2015 draft then there is no way the Swans would have been able to afford both of them. One of them would have gone to another club.

Yeah you would've with the new points system.

Just like GWS did with Hopper and Kennedy.

Yeah you would've with the new points system.

Just like GWS did with Hopper and Kennedy.
That was dodgy based on the fact that both of slid further then they should. Maybe other clubs are wary of a go home factor with them, ironically.

These interstate academy players many all get drafted to there respective clubs initially.
But these clubs will still have to retain them.
If they turn out to be guns oppostion clubs will be trying to poach them.
I'd imagine clubs would be queuing up for a player like Heeney every time he comes out of contract.
Once these academy players are in the system any other clubs come and poach them.
That why I like these interstate academy's they are producing quality footballers, that in the end will still be available to all other clubs at some stage of there careers.

These interstate academy players many all get drafted to there respective clubs initially.
But these clubs will still have to retain them.
If they turn out to be guns oppostion clubs will be trying to poach them.
I'd imagine clubs would be queuing up for a player like Heeney every time he comes out of contract.
Once these academy players are in the system any other clubs come and poach them.
That why I like these interstate academy's they are producing quality footballers, that in the end will still be available to all other clubs at some stage of there careers.

Agree with that. Look at Jack Steele at GWS. He looks like he is going to be a gun but GWS look like they are going to struggle to get him into their best 22. I could easily see a lower Melbourne based team making a play for him.

Agree with that. Look at Jack Steele at GWS. He looks like he is going to be a gun but GWS look like they are going to struggle to get him into their best 22. I could easily see a lower Melbourne based team making a play for him.

Thats right. It's still potentially adding more talented footballers into the whole league.
Jack Steele is a great example. He may struggle to get regular games of senior footy this year.
Why wouldn't he think about moving to a club with less midfield depth. (Like Carlton);)Lol
We could potentially be saying the same things about Jacob Hopper and Matt Kennedy in a year or two.

This has to be a good thing for all the AFL clubs.

Last edited:

Second goal(No video yet) he took the ball out of the pack and dribbled through a freak goal at ankle height before getting swamped by teammates in celebration.

He's alright, He'll be better when he's playing next to Darcy Moore in coming years.

I thought Acres was damn good odds at CrownBet at $41, but he's exceptionally good value with TAB Sportsbet at $67! Is the same odds as Bailey Rice, who might as well be 2000-1 (especially if it's true he currently has glandula fever) and Nick O'Kearney, who we just picked up in the rookie draft and is twice the odds of Paddy McCartin, who I rate as a lot less of a chance of winning it this year.

Drafted in the first round in a strong draft, 3rd year in the system this year, would probably have played at least 30 games already had it not been for his niggling/nuisance injuries (would have been treated basically the same as Billings and Dunstan, who have been played every game when they were fit and even some when they weren't) and all the reports are that he's had a ripping preseason and is now finally physically ready to make an impact at AFL level. He came 4th in our time trial on the first day of preseason and in every interview Richo has done lately he's naming Blake amongst one or two others when asked which young ones to look out for this year and which ones are likely to play early on.

With the abolition of the sub rule and reduced rotations, it means only those who are able to play most of the year and really run out games are likely to be a chance of winning it and Blake's strong endurance and versatility of being able to play midfield, forward and back ought to really help his chances. His knack of winning the footy both at ground level and in the air and ability to weave through traffic probably won't do him any harm, either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back