Preview 2016 Round 1: Roos v Crows Preview Thread -AT LAST TODAY...Thread been running since Jan 2nd 2016!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking forward to rd 1 now. Was simply asking who your best 2 small defenders are..

You weren't before?

I honestly couldn't spot Luke Browne out of a lineout for $1m.

Atley, Wright, MacMillan and Firitto can do the job. Personally, its a massive hole on our list that we try to fill with half back flankers, who do a pretty ordinary job at it.

Guess you didn't watch him post-adelaide days. Betts mentioned in an interview that his toughest opponent was Thompson. He plays a different role at adelaide now so I wouldn't be as comfortable given that Thompson tends to ball watch and eddie is a very smart crumber. But it's hardly a disaster.

I'd play Wright on him.

Tarrant - Tex
Spud - Jenkins
Wright - Betts
Thompson - Lynch
McDonald - Cameron
Wells - Menzel
Jenkins would monster spud.
The issue I have with spud is he isn't big enough to play key back and not quick enough to play on small forwards.

Thus I would not include firrito in our 22. Age doesn't help him either

Our round 1 form speaks for itself. On that basis alone I would expect us to lose to Nar Nar Goon. I'm just really glad we're not playing * in round 1.

I'd play Jocobs or McDonald on Betts. Don't want to waste Atley by being too defensive.

Not really fussed about Betts TBH, he's just the icing when the Crows are on top. The big concern for me is Walker & Smith. If those two have a day out the crows will be hard to stop.

Obviously Sloan too, but seriously we should slaughter them in the middle.

The issue I have with spud is he isn't big enough to play key back and not quick enough to play on small forwards.

Anything you say spud related should be taken with a pinch of salt. Was one of our most consistent performers last season and you repeatedly made calls to drop/retire him.

Jenkins did kick 46 goals last season, but still a hot and cold forward. Ended the year with 1,6,1,0,4

You weren't before?

Atley, Wright, MacMillan and Firitto can do the job. Personally, its a massive hole on our list that we try to fill with half back flankers, who do a pretty ordinary job at it.
Just waiting for you to notice brown doing a number on thomas. And laird to stop harvey while hurting you with 90% effeciency.
I rate atley, he as quick as they come and is a decent kick just doesnt seem to rack up enough of the pill to be a big threat..

Sloane v Swallow
Thompson v Ziebell
Douglas v Dal santo
Smith v Wells
BCrouch v Cunnington
Smith v Harper
Jacobs v Goldstein
Brown v Thomas
Jenkins v Hansen
Laird v Harvey
Talia v Petrie
Walker v Thompson
Betts v Firrito
Cameron v Atley

Some great matchups there..

Anything you say spud related should be taken with a pinch of salt. Was one of our most consistent performers last season and you repeatedly made calls to drop/retire him.

Jenkins did kick 46 goals last season, but still a hot and cold forward. Ended the year with 1,6,1,0,4
Lol who are you?

You joined big footy on Tuesday, I smell alias

Just waiting for you to notice brown doing a number on thomas. And laird to stop harvey while hurting you with 90% effeciency.
I rate atley, he as quick as they come and is a decent kick just doesnt seem to rack up enough of the pill to be a big threat..

Sloane v Swallow
Thompson v Ziebell
Douglas v Dal santo
Smith v Wells
BCrouch v Cunnington
Smith v Harper
Jacobs v Goldstein
Brown v Thomas
Jenkins v Hansen
Laird v Harvey
Talia v Petrie
Walker v Thompson
Betts v Firrito
Cameron v Atley

Harper will destroy Smith. Easily the superior player.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Smith hasn't played since 2013 and you delisted him recently. You Crows fans need to do a bit more research.

Wells wasn't fit, Ben Brown didn't play and is in our best 22, Jacobs wasn't tagging in rd. 1 last year, Tarrant can't do a worse job than Tippett did on Walker and don't underestimate the home crowd/ground factor. Bringing in Menzel and Seedsman (you can add Gore and Milera if you want) doesn't even begin to offset the Dangerfield loss but I do agree they will be a very competitive and dangerous side if not shown respect.

No but Brad Crouch sure does. Similar players and wins just as much ball and in a similar way.

The other changes improve our team balance. We have lost Dangerfield's gun inside work but have gained pace & skill on the outside. We almost had no outside players and were using inside players to play on the outside.

You're kidding yourself if you think Crouch can replace Dangerfield. The kid can play but Dangerfield is an unbelievable footballer. One of the few players that I would go to the footy just to watch.

The thing what you should be hoping is that they all lift. In the past the other mids probably relied on him too much, they will have something to prove this year. They'll want to show the world that they can play without him.
Well you'd clearly know better than any crows fan.

You weren't before?

Wow you aren't building much credibility. If you don't know who Luke Brown is, you're opinion can't be taken seriously. He'd be one of the best genuine small defenders in the league.

He locks down on the best opposition small forwards every week (Wingard, Rioli, Walters etc).

Do you know who Daniel Talia is? Luke Brown is nearly his equivalent but on the smaller opponents.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Jenkins only averaged 2.4 goals per game playing as a forward/2nd ruck.

And he's only our 3rd highest scoring forward. Did any of your forwards average more than 2.4 goals per game?

Harper will destroy Smith. Easily the superior player.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure Smith hasn't played since 2013 and you delisted him recently. You Crows fans need to do a bit more research.
Wtf?? Brodie smith. Ever heard of him? Aa squad 2 years ago. One of the premier hbf/wingmen in the game. It was meant to be garner not harper... Garners good but not that good yet..

Last edited:

Sloane v Swallow
Thompson v Ziebell
Douglas v Dal santo
Smith v Wells
BCrouch v Cunnington
Smith v Harper
Jacobs v Goldstein
Brown v Thomas
Jenkins v Hansen
Laird v Harvey
Talia v Petrie
Walker v Thompson
Betts v Firrito
Cameron v Atley

Cunnington would snap that fat plodder. Has he reached the required skin folds yet?

So Jenkins only averaged 2.4 goals per game playing as a forward/2nd ruck.

And he's only our 3rd highest scoring forward. Did any of your forwards average more than 2.4 goals per game?
Did any of your forwards play in a preliminary final?

Wow you aren't building much credibility. If you don't know who Luke Brown is, you're opinion can't be taken seriously. He'd be one of the best genuine small defenders in the league.

He locks down on the best opposition small forwards every week (Wingard, Rioli, Walters etc).

Do you know who Daniel Talia is? Luke Brown is nearly his equivalent but on the smaller opponents.
Wingard = 23 possessions and 3 goals + 21 possessions and 2 goals
Cyril = overrated and rarely kicks a bag/high possession games
Walters = 3 goals

Um...I think he's broken!\

broken-lock.jpg

Wtf?? Brodie smith. Ever heard of him? Aa squad 2 years ago. One of the premier hbf/wingmen in the game. It was meant to be garner not harper... Garners good but not that good yet..
It's called a joke… you listed Harper, yet he hasn't played an AFL game since 2013 and we delisted him last year.

Brighten up sunshine.

No but Brad Crouch sure does. Similar players and wins just as much ball and in a similar way.

The other changes improve our team balance. We have lost Dangerfield's gun inside work but have gained pace & skill on the outside. We almost had no outside players and were using inside players to play on the outside.
The same Brad Crouch who hasn't played for the best part of 2 years? It will be a good effort if he can just get back to playing at the elite level let alone filling Dangerfield's shoes due to the severity of his injuries. If he even half fills the void left by Danger, I will tip my hat to you and him.

I'd play Jocobs or McDonald on Betts. Don't want to waste Atley by being too defensive.

Not really fussed about Betts TBH, he's just the icing when the Crows are on top. The big concern for me is Walker & Smith. If those two have a day out the crows will be hard to stop.

Obviously Sloan too, but seriously we should slaughter them in the middle.
Smart thinking to consider Jacobs on betts .... What's his agility like ? I think your midfield just beats us head to head so you don't really need Jacobs in the midfield against us

Smart thinking to consider Jacobs on betts .... What's his agility like ? I think your midfield just beats us head to head so you don't really need Jacobs in the midfield against us

His agility wouldn't be anywhere near Betts. Jacobs is a grafter though and has shown he can shut down a range of opponents. Seeing as Betts likes to get up the ground a bit I think Jacobs would be well suited.

Saying that tho, I agree with previous posters that Thompson will most likely get the job. Once something has worked for Scott he rarely changes it.

His agility wouldn't be anywhere near Betts. Jacobs is a grafter though and has shown he can shut down a range of opponents. Seeing as Betts likes to get up the ground a bit I think Jacobs would be well suited.

Saying that tho, I agree with previous posters that Thompson will most likely get the job. Once something has worked for Scott he rarely changes it.
fair call ... Crows will be hoping for enough midfield ball to bring betts, Cameron and Menzel into the game

We are a long way from settling our midfield however

Sloane v Swallow
Thompson v Ziebell
Douglas v Dal santo
Smith v Wells
BCrouch v Cunnington
Smith v Harper
Jacobs v Goldstein
Brown v Thomas
Jenkins v Hansen
Laird v Harvey
Talia v Petrie
Walker v Thompson
Betts v Firrito
Cameron v Atley

I can't see Thompson starting on Walker, Tarrant will probably be the one.

Last edited:

Came here to post that. Bad match up for you guys.. Jenkins would monster Spud Firrito.

Came here to post that. Bad match up for you guys.. Jenkins would monster Spud Firrito.

Maybe. Im pretty sure spud played on him last time when you smashed us and Jenkins kicked 3 goals. We would be hoping to do a little better out of the middle this time though.

Moot point anyway if Thompson doesn't play on Betts.

Walker - Tarrant

Jenkins - Thompson

Lynch - Spud

Betts - Mcdonald

Cameron - Atley

Wright to play on the other smallish forward and Hansen to try and play his loose intercepting role.

It's certainly a dangerous forward line you possess but ours is too.

Petrie, Waite, Brown, Thomas, Higgins, Garner with our goal kicking mids in Harvey, Ziebell, Wells etc.

Jacobs will be tagging Sloane that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back