2016 Ruckmen

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't really considered Naitanui for this season until I checked TOG% for the top ruckmen

2015 Ruckmen TOG%
Todd Goldstein 89.9
Stef Martin 91.4
Sam Jacobs 88.1
Mark Blicavs 85.0
Aaron Sandilands 82.2
Max Gawn 87.8
Shane Mumford 87.3
Nic Naitanui 75.4

That's a pretty huge gap between him and the next highest. If you ignore the 2nd lowest (Sandilands is a lot older than the others in the list so it's understandable he is as low as he is), he has 10% less TOG than the 3rd lowest. He has never had higher than 75.4%TOG since 2012. However in 2012, he had 82.2TOG and averaged 114.2 Supercoach points.

If he bumps that 75%TOG up to 80%+ i'd lock him as my R2. However, we have no idea if that'll get a bump, and so we're left guessing.

Last edited:
Haven't really considered Naitanui for this season until I checked TOG% for the top ruckmen

2015 Ruckmen TOG%
Todd Goldstein 89.9
Stef Martin 91.4
Sam Jacobs 88.1
Mark Blicavs 85.0
Aaron Sandilands 82.2
Max Gawn 87.8
Shane Mumford 87.3
Nic Naitanui 75.4

That's a pretty huge gap between him and the next highest. If you ignore the 2nd lowest (Sandilands is a lot older than the others in the list so it's understandable he is as low as he is), he has 10% less TOG than the 3rd lowest. He has never had higher than 75.4%TOG since 2012. However in 2012, he had 82.2TOG and averaged 114.2 Supercoach points.

If he bumps that 75%TOG up to 80%+ i'd lock him as my R2. However, we have no idea if that'll get a bump, and so we're left guessing.

First time ever that he has strung two full preseasons together.
Now has Redden to feed the ball to and Jetta if he wants to hit it out over the pack.
Lock for me, but I am a little biased.

First time ever that he has strung two full preseasons together.
Now has Redden to feed the ball to and Jetta if he wants to hit it out over the pack.
Lock for me, but I am a little biased.

Would you put the low TOG% predominantly down to those lack of pre-seasons?

I thought a contributing factor may also have been the fact he's always shared ruck duties with Cox, Lycett or Sinclair.

Goldstein, Martin, Jacobs, Gawn, Mumford, Sandilands have all generally done it on their own.

Busting to start Dan Currie as R3

Just can't justify it
exactly the same. the 55k could be spent elsewhere.
he'll play nab. if he goes well and is picked round 1. i'll make room for him and forgo loopholeing until i get an injury.
i think the best way to get him in is tippet R2 frost in the forwards. currie playing at r3.

Would you put the low TOG% predominantly down to those lack of pre-seasons?

I thought a contributing factor may also have been the fact he's always shared ruck duties with Cox, Lycett or Sinclair.

Goldstein, Martin, Jacobs, Gawn, Mumford, Sandilands have all generally done it on their own.

Yeah his TOG is down compared to most as he just doesn't have the tank. It also doesn't help that West Coast have played two rucks for over a decade now mostly due to Coxy's ground ball work and acting as an extra midfielder for most of his career.
The preseasons do help Nic though. His best year in 2012 he was fit and ready to go.
He went AA @ 113.8 avg and Cox played every game and averaged 111.

Then in Cox's last year in 2014 we Cox wasn't able to ruck the whole game so we had the 3 ruck policy. YUK.
They were giving Lycett game hoping he wouldn't leave. The 3 ruck policy was terrible but we kept Lycett, Cox retired and became a gun coach for us and now finally Nic's fit and ready to go again.
2014 wasn't a good year for any of our ruckman.

Then last year came along and Nic was awesome again but Lycett faltered.
This year with Sinclair gone Lycett has to step up and I think like with Cox in 2012 he will help Nic to have a pretty good year because Nic will need the help with less rotations.
So I see his TOG going up bringing his average along with it. I'm expecting a rise back to his AA year and an average of 115 meaning he is good value at $560k.

With Lycett I don't know what to expect. Guy can ruck though. He's proven that.

20 most popular ruck selections as at 8 February 2016:

1. Lobbe (27%)
2. Goldstein (25%)
3. Leuenberger (22%)
4. Cox (14%)
5. Bilcavs (13%)
6. Martin (12%)
7. Naitanui (12%)
8. Currie (9%)
9. Wyatt (9%)
10. Vardy (9%)
11. Mumford (8%)
12. Jacobs (7%)
13. Sinclair (5%)
14. West (5%)
15. Tippett (4%)
16. Loersch (4%)
17. McKay (4%)
18. Nyuon (4%)
19. Lowden (3%)
20. Grundy (3%)

Wouldn't have thought that Sam Jacobs would be a POD ruck selection. o_O

1. Lobbe (27%)
2. Goldstein (25%)
3. Leuenberger (22%)
4. Cox (14%)
5. Bilcavs (13%)
6. Martin (12%)
7. Naitanui (12%)
8. Currie (9%)
9. Wyatt (9%)
10. Vardy (9%)
11. Mumford (8%)
12. Jacobs (7%)
13. Sinclair (5%)
14. West (5%)
15. Tippett (4%)
16. Loersch (4%)
17. McKay (4%)
18. Nyuon (4%)
19. Lowden (3%)
20. Grundy (3%)

Very surprising, Jacobs was a POD last year also when Mummy went down.

1. Lobbe (27%)
2. Goldstein (25%)
3. Leuenberger (22%)
4. Cox (14%)
5. Bilcavs (13%)

YUK. Gets those injury prone spuds away from Goldy. He's surrounded by them.

Blicavs is interesting. I'd love to start with him. Might end up a POD against me.

YUK. Gets those injury prone spuds away from Goldy. He's surrounded by them.

Blicavs is interesting. I'd love to start with him. Might end up a POD against me.

His role may change a bit if Smith and Vardy spend more time on the ground. Could be a golden ticket for him though if he gets to run around on the wing.

1. Lobbe (27%)
2. Goldstein (25%)
3. Leuenberger (22%)
4. Cox (14%)
5. Bilcavs (13%)
6. Martin (12%)
7. Naitanui (12%)
8. Currie (9%)
9. Wyatt (9%)
10. Vardy (9%)
11. Mumford (8%)
12. Jacobs (7%)
13. Sinclair (5%)
14. West (5%)
15. Tippett (4%)
16. Loersch (4%)
17. McKay (4%)
18. Nyuon (4%)
19. Lowden (3%)
20. Grundy (3%)

Why are so many picking Cox when Wyatt is from the same club and also R/F but 15k less?

His role may change a bit if Smith and Vardy spend more time on the ground. Could be a golden ticket for him though if he gets to run around on the wing.
And run he will. 95% game time and 50% of his touches contested. Guys the future prototype beast.

Maybe a sneaky POD for later in the year for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Lobbe (27%)
2. Goldstein (25%)
3. Leuenberger (22%)
4. Cox (14%)
5. Bilcavs (13%)
6. Martin (12%)
7. Naitanui (12%)
8. Currie (9%)
9. Wyatt (9%)
10. Vardy (9%)
11. Mumford (8%)
12. Jacobs (7%)
13. Sinclair (5%)
14. West (5%)
15. Tippett (4%)
16. Loersch (4%)
17. McKay (4%)
18. Nyuon (4%)
19. Lowden (3%)
20. Grundy (3%)

My R2 isn't even on there!

Looks like not many people have Gawn the player I have Gawn ;)

Has Kruezer done all of preseason? What's his role?

Easy Rule to follow for ALL

NO RUCKS THAT START WITH

L

Looney....NO
Lobbe....No
Longer...No
Loersch...No

Use only G's and M's

100% agree.

That's why I'm starting with Goldstein and Macobs. ;)

Not going to play around with the rucks too much this year, you know the few that will star, just stick with them and focus elsewhere. So much time gets wasted in rucks and everyone ends up forking out for the same key players in the end. Just set and forget, less heartache :$

Also 100% agree.

I just love the "gotta get rid of (insert shitty mid-price ruckman here), but how can I get Goldy?" posts from round 2 onwards. :thumbsu:

Why are so many picking Cox when Wyatt is from the same club and also R/F but 15k less?

I also wondered about this.
Must be a Collingwood supporter thing.:rolleyes:

Cox will play AFL footy in 2016.

Had a strong finish to 2015, booting 5 goals in one VFL game late in the season.

Along with Currie and maybe Grimley (any others?), the R3 cash cow might be back in vogue this year. And why not? If GAJ is tearing it up, you can set him as a perma-captain, or select a non-playing rookie elsewhere that you can loophole.

Food for thought. NAB will be interesting.

100% agree.

That's why I'm starting with Goldstein and Macobs. ;)

Also 100% agree.

I just love the "gotta get rid of (insert shitty mid-price ruckman here), but how can I get Goldy?" posts from round 2 onwards. :thumbsu:

Cox will play AFL footy in 2016.

Had a strong finish to 2015, booting 5 goals in one VFL game late in the season.

Along with Currie and maybe Grimley (any others?), the R3 cash cow might be back in vogue this year. And why not? If GAJ is tearing it up, you can set him as a perma-captain, or select a non-playing rookie elsewhere that you can loophole.

Food for thought. NAB will be interesting.

D/F non playing rookie locked in

Currie looking likely

Nick Nat has a similar issue to one C.Judd who basically destroyed his adductors due to his over-arching running style.

Judd re-created himself and his running style to prolong his career and hence became a more upright runner forsaking some of his explosive speed that saw him burst away from stoppages at his peak.

I'm not sure NickNat can A - overcome the issue in the manner Mr Professional Judd did, or B have enough other strings to his games and natural game sense to evolve as a player.

With Nick he's basically a centre square ruck man, very good at it, but he has a leap and will continue to struggle through his core if he doesn't make some changes to his running gait.

NicNat being managed. A worry as he was my R1

212826_3a592f4da45c7d429c3925e681000249.jpeg
Z2QZAlG.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back