2016 SuperCoach/DT/fantasy questions here!

Remove this Banner Ad

dlanod what is the most popular fantasy football game that would be suitable for a hack like myself?

If you think that statistically that Scott Pendlebury had a higher value per game than Nat Fyfe then DT/Fantasy is for you. If not then its Supercoach

If you think that statistically that Scott Pendlebury had a higher value per game than Nat Fyfe then DT/Fantasy is for you. If not then its Supercoach

Nah, a better analogy would be whether you'd rather Swan (DT) or Ablett (SC).

Or if you thought Redden's 2011 was the seventh best in the league that year.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
How has Mitch Robinson's pre season been (that's if you guys have open training sessions, few and far between for Adelaide it seems)?

Assuming you have a full strength team do you see him playing a similar role to that of what he played in the second half of the season last year or does he go back to HFF with a run through the midfield when required type of situation? Brisbane's list seems to have a number of strong midfielders which I get the feeling will hurt Robinson in a sense he won't get as much time in the guts as he did last year due to the injuries you had.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
How has Mitch Robinson's pre season been (that's if you guys have open training sessions, few and far between for Adelaide it seems)?

Assuming you have a full strength team do you see him playing a similar role to that of what he played in the second half of the season last year or does he go back to HFF with a run through the midfield when required type of situation? Brisbane's list seems to have a number of strong midfielders which I get the feeling will hurt Robinson in a sense he won't get as much time in the guts as he did last year due to the injuries you had.
Could be wrong, but I feel Robbo will play the run with role this year when needed. Might impact his scoring output.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Could be wrong, but I feel Robbo will play the run with role this year when needed. Might impact his scoring output.
If he can keep his focus it'd be a role he'd do quite well given how hard he'd give it to whoever he's on. At the same time, he's probably someone that would run off and try to hurt the other way (which will either be good or bad for Brisbane depending on how well he does it).

Would love to pick him as I don't think he'll be all that popular of a pick and his form in the second half of last season was massive but I'm not sure he's the safest selection at this stage.

xplo

Premiership Player
Jun 14, 2004
The Original 'Cougar'
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lions
Would love to pick him as I don't think he'll be all that popular of a pick and his form in the second half of last season was massive but I'm not sure he's the safest selection at this stage.
There are never any guarantees, but two points:

1) Robinson went into the midfield around the time that Beams went out, but when Rockliff and Hanley returned.

2) Our clearance numbers were terrible for the first 2/3rds season but got quite a bit better as soon as Robinson went in there.

Not sure whether that was tackling or bumping or blocking or just good hands, but I don't think those numbers will have gone unnoticed by the coaching staff.

Whatever he does, it improves 3-4 blokes around him.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
If he can keep his focus it'd be a role he'd do quite well given how hard he'd give it to whoever he's on. At the same time, he's probably someone that would run off and try to hurt the other way (which will either be good or bad for Brisbane depending on how well he does it).

Stay safe. Pick Christensen.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
There are never any guarantees, but two points:

1) Robinson went into the midfield around the time that Beams went out, but when Rockliff and Hanley returned.

2) Our clearance numbers were terrible for the first 2/3rds season but got quite a bit better as soon as Robinson went in there.

Not sure whether that was tackling or bumping or blocking or just good hands, but I don't think those numbers will have gone unnoticed by the coaching staff.

Whatever he does, it improves 3-4 blokes around him.
Yeah I was kind of hoping with Redden gone it might help leave a position for Robinson in the guts once Beams returns although you've also got the inclusions of Bell and Bastinac that will probably push for selection - Not exactly sure where Bastinac is at/how he'll be used but Bell is a big bodied inside midfielder.

Do love Robinson's approach on the game, mightn't do the smartest things at times but you know you're going to get 100% effort from him every time, not someone you'd be wanting to clash with on the field as he's not going to hold back. Will have to watch the pre season games to see how he's being used.

Zorko was another who I think got more midfield time in the second half of the season (although I can't say that for certain as I didn't watch that many Brisbane games) and had a very strong season fantasy wise as well but I suspect he'll be one of the first ones pushed forward due to him being quite dangerous in the forward half of the ground.

Brisbane really seems to be a side that has plenty of guys that can run through the midfield and play on the flanks, just need the KP guys to catch up before you begin to become a much harder side to beat.

Yeah I was kind of hoping with Redden gone it might help leave a position for Robinson in the guts once Beams returns although you've also got the inclusions of Bell and Bastinac that will probably push for selection - Not exactly sure where Bastinac is at/how he'll be used but Bell is a big bodied inside midfielder.

Do love Robinson's approach on the game, mightn't do the smartest things at times but you know you're going to get 100% effort from him every time, not someone you'd be wanting to clash with on the field as he's not going to hold back. Will have to watch the pre season games to see how he's being used.

Zorko was another who I think got more midfield time in the second half of the season (although I can't say that for certain as I didn't watch that many Brisbane games) and had a very strong season fantasy wise as well but I suspect he'll be one of the first ones pushed forward due to him being quite dangerous in the forward half of the ground.

Brisbane really seems to be a side that has plenty of guys that can run through the midfield and play on the flanks, just need the KP guys to catch up before you begin to become a much harder side to beat.
Bell has been training as a forward.

Zorko spent a bit of time late last year behind the footy which helped him pick up touches.

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
*copied from SuperCoach Board*

BRISBANE LIONS SUPERCOACH PREVIEW

Thought I'd attempt a Brisbane preview. I'll try and make it as short as possible, don't want people thinking I'm obsessed or anything.

Safe to say Leppa is building this side very, very nicely. You'll struggle to find more than three players that can't play more than one position in our best 22. Obviously open to debate, but here's what my preview looks like.

DEFENCE (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Daniel Rich (436,100) :fire: - Projected Avg: 90
Richy is running hot, hot, hot for SC this year. Leppa has indicated Rich will head back into the midfield, which is a huge sigh of relief for Lions fans. Boasting one of the best left boots in the AFL, a fully fit Daniel Rich should definitely be on your radar. One key thing that works in his favour is that he has had a full preseason to work over the injury troubles he has had. He was visibly walking wounded last season and still suffering the after-effects of the ACL injury he had in 2014. Another thing that works in his favour is that he has teammates to kick to up forward now. I think this is his season to really shine. CONSIDER.

Marco Paparone (417,200) - Projected Avg: 75
It took Pepperoni Pizza a while to adjust to playing as a key defender. He was pushed around easily by opposition forwards and struggled to really get his hands on the ball. Suddenly, something clicked. He had a decent purple patch that saw him finish the season off surprisingly well. He averaged 19 disposals (12 kicks), 6 marks and a handy 77 Supercoach points. If he strings it together this season, then he could be a decent pick for next year. As for this year, he's an awkward price and just hasn't shown enough to justify a selection. PASS.

:clubs::hearts: Harris Andrews :hearts::clubs: (346,500) - Projected Avg: 61

Premier Andrews. He's a mini McGovern with his fearless intercept marking against guys much stronger (physically) than he is. As he is still a light frame and playing a key position role, it's not ideal for any form of Fantasy. He will be relying on intercept marks and accurate kicking to score him enough points. Give him another year. PASS.

Claye Beams :footy:? (335,900) - Projected Avg: 72

Cruelled by injury. But when he's on the field, he should have little trouble slotting into a best 22 spot down back. He's one of our better users of the football, in particular when it comes to kicking out of defence. However, his potential comes at a cost. Too many injuries have probably made this decision tough. PASS.

Daniel Merrett (319,400) - Projected Avg: 56

The experienced head in defence for the Lions. I don't think he has ever been fantasy-relevant and nothing will change this season. PASS.

Sam Mayes :footy: (316,400) - Projected Avg: 73

He's gotten himself into the coach's good books this preseason after being a standout at training sessions. Both Leppa and Mayes himself have indicated that he will play a wing/half back role. I've likened him to Kade Kolodjasnij in the way he should perform, but it's ultimately up to Mayes himself if he wants to take the next step up or not. CONSIDER.

Justin Clarke (314,100) - Projected Avg: 54
Key defender. Will most likely take the opposition's best forward every week and rotate with Daniel Merrett. Not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Tom Cutler (292,900) - Projected Avg: 63

Showed some promising signs last season, in particular his game against Carlton where he had 24 touches, 8 marks and kicked a goal. His dash off half-back was impressive but his disposal and uncertainty somewhat cost him valuable points at times. Give him another year. PASS.

Ryan Harwood (283,300) - Projected Avg: 74

Harwood is a hard-nut small defender with good speed. In 2014, he enjoyed a season in which he averaged an impressive 83 points. A key to this number was his tackling just as much as his disposal count. However, he has struggled with injury since and really struggled to string games together in his comeback. Definitely can find a spot in the 22 when fully-fit, but maybe bit too much of a risk and an awkward price for consideration. PASS.

Dan McStay* (250,100) - Projected Avg: 70

McStay played predominantly as a key forward for a struggling Lions side last season, with some stints in defence towards the end of the year. Leppa has indicated that he will spend more time in defence this season, as he has been training there all preseason. He won't be fantasy-relevant this year, but if he grows accustomed to the Harry Taylor role, then he could be relevant in years to come. PASS.

Hugh Beasley (R) (249,100) - Projected Avg: 45

Rookie. Played a few games in 2015, but nothing too spectacular. Needs to find his way in the ressies first, he understandably looked completely out of his depth when coming up against opposition AFL forwards. PASS.

Liam Dawson (245,000) - Projected Avg: 60

This guy has loads of potential and had a patch in 2015 where he averaged 75 points, before being sub-affected. Could be fantasy-relevant as a cash-cow. CONSIDER.

Darcy Gardiner (233,400) - Projected Avg: 55

Struggled with injury last season and only played 8 games. Position-wise he is just not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Jaden McGrath* (222,900) - Projected Avg: 62

Could slot into the team early on if Josh Green is still injured as he's capable of playing both defence & forward. Not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Eric Hipwood* (162,300) - Projected Avg: 50

First-year player. Still a bit raw. Probably won't see much of him this season. PASS.

Josh Clayton* (123,900) - Projected Avg: 50

Hasn't really progressed as well as Lions fans expected him to. He'll get his chances if he performs consistently well in the ressies. Nothing that screams 'select me' though. PASS.

Josh McGuinness (123,900) - Projected Avg: 40

Hasn't really progressed as well as expected. Likewise, will get chances if he performs consistently well in reserves. PASS.

Josh Watts (123,900) - Projected Avg: 50

Likewise. PASS.

Matthew Hammelmann* (R) (117,300) - Projected Avg: 40

Rookie. Had a few good games up forward in the reserves, but the difference between the two leagues is just far too big for him. Has shown signs but not enough to take next step this season. PASS.

Cian Hanley* (R) (117,300) - Projected Avg: ----
Recovering from ACL. Rookie. Unlikely to play senior football this season. PASS.

Sam Skinner* (117,300) - Projected Avg: ----
Knee injury. Won't play senior footy this season. PASS.

Rueben William (R) (102,400) - Projected Avg: 40
Rookie. Could get a chance towards end of season, but very unlikely at this stage. PASS.

MIDFIELD (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Dayne Beams (612,100) :fire: - Projected Avg: 116
Hopefully with the addition of Bastinac, Beams will go back to his preferred outside role. That's where he shines. Cannot forgot his 2012 season where he averaged over 120 SC points as an outside midfielder/half forward at Collingwood. With limited rotations this year, he should slot right into that position and dominate. Need I say more? LOCK.

Tom Rockliff (550,100) :fire: - Projected Avg: 118
Perhaps the biggest lock since Barlow. You just have to appreciate how this bloke goes about it. Cracked ribs, comes back from injury, slots back into midfield and absolutely dominates. Doesn't get much easier than this. Ball-magnet, tackling machine and least likely of our mids to rotate forward. The midfield should and will be a permanent position for him this year. With Beams in the same side, his average will be affected, but only ever so slightly. LOCK.

Dayne Zorko* (543,000) :fire: - Projected Avg: 100
Zorko enjoyed more midfield minutes last season with key injuries to Lions players. He scored 10 tonnes and only had a handful of matches under 80 points. This is Supercoach GOLD if you are looking for a forward at a decent price. Rotation between forward and midfield will come easy to Zorko and, barring any injury, I can't see him averaging under 100. He's very much a team-orientated player, if the Lions are firing then Zorko will be. He's the Lions' Barometer. LOCK.

Mitch Robinson* :footy: (499,800) - Projected Avg: 90
Robbo had a huge purple patch towards the end of the year and was a key player for the Lions in the midfield, racking up touches, tackling hard and winning plenty of clearances. With key Lions returning from injury, it's difficult to see Robinson keep that kind of scoring up. Leppa will likely use him as a offensive negating player. Just need to look at the job he did on Fyfe in round 14, 2015 as a preview of what is to come for Robbo in 2016. He scored 87 that game, so I think a season average of 90 is definitely achievable. CONSIDER.

Pearce Hanley :rainbow: (467,000) - Projected Avg: 110
This guy. The most important player at the Lions. Sorely missed when out injured and made immediate impact when he did play. We should see Hanley slot into a full-time midfield spot this season, but could see him go back to defence if the Lions are desperate or have been struck by injury.Lethal when delivering the ball into the forward line. He's the complete package as he defends well and is very good offensively. MID only this season however, but that is cancelled out by the fact that you will not find a better Supercoach player at that price. He's proven and ready for another big year. Lock.

Ryan Bastinac (390,700) - Projected Avg: 83
Bastinac has enjoyed this preseason back in his natural role as an inside midfielder. In the early stages of his career, he enjoyed a 90+ average season that showcased his ability to win the hard balls and get himself into the right spots to receive the ball. He may take some time to get used to his surroundings, but he should be a decent downgrade target. CONSIDER.

Lewis Taylor* (387,500) - Projected Avg: 75
Lewy had a few standout games in 2015, but also had some rather disappointing performances. He has a great sense of finding the ball, but often runs himself into trouble. The short dabby kicks don't register well in Supercoach, so it would be a huge effort for him to overcome the awkward price and pump out bigger scores. PASS.

Ryan Lester (368,700) - Projected Avg: 62
Just doesn't get enough game-time to be fantasy-relevant. Not only is he awkwardly-priced but he also doesn't have a permanent position in the Lions team. Very much a short-term hole filler when he does come in. PASS.

Nick Robertson (286,400) - Projected Avg: 65
Will be fighting for a spot on the wing this season. He's a big unit, he tackles well and is fearless when attacking contests. If you like terrible haircuts in your SC team, then pick this guy. Otherwise, don't. PASS.

Billy Evans* (R) (219,100) - Projected Avg: 50
Rookie. Played 5 games in 2015 mainly because of key injuries to players. Didn't standout that much so he will have to fight his way through the reserves. PASS.

Jarrad Jansen :footy: (123,900) - Projected Avg: 67
I like the look of this kid. I really do. Already this preseason, he's showing signs that he could crack the team nice and early. Always a tough competition for spots in the midfield, but if he performs well in the NAB Challenge, he'll start raising some eyebrows. Leppa doesn't shy away from rewarding games to deserving kids. CONSIDER.

Ben Keays :footy: (117,300) - Projected Avg: 70
This kid has been our highest touted academy youngster for a long time now and he has finally made it to the big league. He was the clear best player in the Division Two zone leading up to the draft. He knows where the ball is, already showing good leadership skills by commanding teammates (much older) on where to position. Additionally, he loves to sneak forward and kick goals. CONSIDER.

Rhys Mathieson :footy: (117,300) - Projected Avg: 69
No idea how he slipped so far in the draft, but he has class written all over him. Evident in the way he handles himself at training sessions and his game in the intra-club match wasn't too shabby either. He's my pick of the rookies to debut first as he has impressed the most. Not sure if you can really 'lock' a rookie in at this stage, but the NAB Challenge will give you the best indication of what to do. CONSIDER.

RUCK (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Stefan Martin (597,600) :fire: - Projected Avg: 117
Beast. No other word to describe him. Just a gem to have a tall, ball winner in your side. Aside from his ruckwork, he has nailed the midfield part of his role to perfection. Not the most reliable kick, but he's a ruckman - gotta give the big man a break time to time. Leppa says Martin will ruck 90% of the time which is music to the ears of Fantasy players. Lock.

Trent West (196,700) - Projected Avg: 50
Barring any unfortunate injury to Martin, I can't see West getting any games this season. Leppa has made it clear that our second ruckman will be a pinch-hitting tall. PASS.

Archie Smith (R) (117,300) - Projected Avg: 40
Rookie. Still not comfortable with game-day situations as he makes plenty of mistakes. But you cannot fault determination to keep trying and learn new things every day. PASS.

FORWARD (Highest price to lowest) Key: *DPP :fire: HOT PICK :footy: UNIQUE :rainbow: SPECIAL

Tom Bell (483,700) :footy: - Projected Avg: 85
This guy slots right into our best 22. Not the best disposal but makes up for it with his hard attack on the ball and ferocious attack. He'll be rotating, along with a few others, between half forward and midfield. Similar to the role he played at Carlton. CONSIDER.

Allen Christensen (466,500) :footy: - Projected Avg: 92
I predict big things for Bundy in 2016. He has gotten his body into the perfect shape and has been ruthless this preseason. He's made sure he's given himself the best possible chance to start the season off better than he started last season. Struggling with a lack of fitness early last year, he started to show genuine star qualities later on in the year. As he will be rotating through a half forward and midfield role, his scoring output will differ from match to match. As a pure midfielder, he is capable of anything between 95-100, but his natural role will probably stop him from being that good. CONSIDER.

Josh Green (355,800) - Projected Avg: 65
Suffered a foot injury earlier this season. Fighting hard to play in round one against the Eagles. Regardless of form and fitness, he has never really been a Fantasy-relevant player. PASS.

Rohan Bewick (329,200) - Projected Avg: 60
Never really had the consistent game-time to prove himself, but that largely comes down to being able to play a certain role. He's been trialed in just about every position, but never really found his feet. His natural role is as a wing/half forward, but the Lions have since restocked and might have pushed him out of the best 22. PASS.

Josh Walker (289,000) - Projected Avg: 55
Key forward. He'll kick goals but not enough to make himself fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Jonathan Freeman (218,500) - Projected Avg: 50
Key forward. See above.

Josh Schache (216,300) - Projected Avg: 60
If only he were a normal priced-rookie. He'll play his 10-15 games this season and hopefully live up to some of the hype. He kicked four goals in the intra-club match last week, so he's already heading in the right direction. Not fantasy-relevant. PASS.

Jackson Paine (R) (127,900) - Projected Avg: 45
Rookie. Played as a defender in the reserves last year and has continued to train as a defender this preseason. Not sure what Leppa's plans for him are, but it's difficult seeing him cracking the side. Even then, he will probably never be SC-relevant. PASS.

Michael Close (127,600) - Projected Avg: 40
Coming back from serious knee injury, didn't show many signs even beforehand. He'll get games as our KPF stock is still running a bit thin, but just like most key position forwards, he's just not relevant. PASS.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide

Zorko spent a bit of time late last year behind the footy which helped him pick up touches.
That's surprising RE Bell - just due to how good he looked at Carlton as an inside midfielder and not really looking suited anywhere else (poor skills). I guess with the depth Brisbane have, guys like him need to be able to play other roles as he won't get to be a full time midfielder.

fightclub

Debutant
Jan 4, 2008
Melbourne
With the first 5000 completed leagues in AFL fantasy getting a free AFL league pass, any chance any of you guys can join mine to fill it ? Happy to join others too. League code is 6EJW7FMT

That's surprising RE Bell - just due to how good he looked at Carlton as an inside midfielder and not really looking suited anywhere else (poor skills). I guess with the depth Brisbane have, guys like him need to be able to play other roles as he won't get to be a full time midfielder.
Not sure that is entirely correct. From what I've heard and seen, Bell wasn't really an inside onballer at Carlton but rather a half forward who would change on ball. His stats kinda support that too - not really a clearance winner for Carlton but was 9th in the league in terms of inside 50s. Also had twice as many uncontested possessions as contested.

dylan123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2008
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure that is entirely correct. From what I've heard and seen, Bell wasn't really an inside onballer at Carlton but rather a half forward who would change on ball. His stats kinda support that too - not really a clearance winner for Carlton but was 9th in the league in terms of inside 50s. Also had twice as many uncontested possessions as contested.
Think I read he was a top 5 clearance winner at Carlton last season however the Prospectus (champion data) has classified him as a forward so I dare say you're right with that and my memory is off!

He was the loose man at the back in the last game v the dogs, and there was a pretty clear plan to use him to get the ball out whereever possible. Think he had maybe 9 touches in that first qtr, but he made 3big errors that lead to goals. Was super from then on, and pushed more up field.

He is one that will be very interesting to see where he plays. He honestly plays his best footy in the guts, gets 30 touches and has an impact, but can never seem to cement himself permanently there. Maybe rotating from HB to the middle maybe with Hanley might be a good fit. Both give some nice run and carry.

Robbo will play decent minutes in the middle i think. Beams and Rocky will rotate forward and rest where they can impact the scoreboard, and the likes of Bell and Bundy will rotate from HF to the middle. I dont think we would see Robbo and Bell both lining up in the middle too much, think they will bring similar strengths to a center square setup. Bastinac will play mainly inside i think.

WA Lion

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The 2 mids are outside chances of lining up (maybe 40% chance) but would need injury crisis of epic proportions for Hipwood to be thrown in at the deep end
Probably been asked a million times but;

thoughts on starting Round 1 just need a yay or nay.

Mathieson-? Probable Nay
Keays-? Probable Nay
Hipwood? Definate Nay

Thanks fellas.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back