Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Back to my first thoughts then attempt to trade him for draft points,
Someone has to want to take him.

This is a real concern. As you've pointed out we have brought in plenty of competition in the positions he's failed in already. If even 2 of them work out where does that leave him for 3 more years?

Am I confident he can turn it around? No, he's had plenty of chances already and it would be an injustice if he gets to 200 games for our club.

Truck25

Club Legend
Nov 9, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Portland Trailblazers
It's hard predicting a best 22. We've got so many improving guys around that 15-22nd selected. Then the trades, all with question marks and Gore a relative rookie. Then Milera might be ready to go. It's going to be hard to mount an argument against any inclusions apart from Dmac. I'm even comfortable with VB getting a couple of games to see where he's at. It really is only Dmac that shouldn't be in contention.
This is why I feel more confident this year. Yes we lost one of our best. But we all know stars can't carry a team to finals let alone a GF. Ask Robbie Flower and so many players of his ilk that missed cause he didn't have the support. It's the teams that can put quality on the ground from 14-22 that win GF's. Our 14-22 looks so much more complete with the players we bought in.

The Sloane Ranger

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
This is why I feel more confident this year. Yes we lost one of our best. But we all know stars can't carry a team to finals let alone a GF. Ask Robbie Flower and so many players of his ilk that missed cause he didn't have the support. It's the teams that can put quality on the ground from 14-22 that win GF's. Our 14-22 looks so much more complete with the players we bought in.

It's not just the 14-22 for me, even many of our top 12 players are in that age window where they will start to play their career best footy

Given the age profile of our list there is so much scope for improvement and players like Tex, Lynch, Smith, Talia and Sloane should all be in that window to be at the peak of their powers

My Round 1 side

FB: Brown Talia Lever

HB: Smith Hartigan Laird

C: Seedsman Thompson Douglas

HF: Knight Walker Lynch

FF: Betts Jenkins Cameron

Foll: Jacobs B.Crouch Sloane

Int: M.Crouch Hampton Atkins Cheney

Emerg: CEY, Milera, VB, Kelly, Grigg

Not enough people picking Atkins, sounds like he has improved hi fitness over the preseason so he should be really close to starting in the AFL side. I really wante CEY in the team as well, but wasn't sure on the balance of inside and outside.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
My Round 1 side

Not enough people picking Atkins, sounds like he has improved hi fitness over the preseason so he should be really close to starting in the AFL side. I really wante CEY in the team as well, but wasn't sure on the balance of inside and outside.
If your going to Play Smith, Seedsman and Hampton, there no need to play Cheney so you run with another mid Grigg CEY etc.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Seedsman and Hampton are not that good defensively, I'd prefer to have Cheney or Kelly who can cover different sized opponents.
Why run with a back Defender on the bench, You already had Seedsman and Hampton in the side, Yes Kelly can offer a tag, but another running midfielder would be more advantageous.
But the question would be who does he interchange with of the bench. Can Cheney play midfield, Can he replace Smith or Laird, as the 3 talls will most likely play most of the game and if an injury occur Lynch can role back.

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
Harder than ever to slot those last 5 players in with the glut of players trying to break into the midfield. Even harder with so few players ruled out for round 1 like they normally are.

Brown Talia Lever
Smith Hartigan Laird
Seedsman Thompson Knight
......Cameron Lynch.........
...........Walker...............
........Betts Jenkins..........

Jacobs Crouch Sr Sloane Crouch Jr

Lyons Douglas van Berlo Milera

I expect Menzel to continue to build in the SANFL for a few games before coming in. Swapped Atkins for Milera at the last minute. Mainly posting this so i can see how close i was come round 1.

May 8, 2007
Eddie Betts Pocket
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not sure anyone has done this, but I thought I'd have a go at a 'Skillful' crows side.

I've included the 'locks/spine' and filled in the blanks with our best kickers/silky players.

FB Laird Talia Jaensch

HB Smith Lever Henderson

C Atkins B.Crouch Seedsman

HF Grigg Walker Menzel

FF Betts Jenkins Cameron

R Jacobs Sloane Douglas

Int: Knight Wigg Milera Hampton

Emg: Mookay

Sep 19, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Round 1:
Brown Talia Lever
Smith Hartigan Laird
Seed Thomo Knight
Lynch Walker Douglas
Betts Jenkins Cameron
Jacobs Sloane BCrouch
MCrouch Hampton CEY Menzel
Emerg: Atkins Grigg Milera

Last edited:
May 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I always remember a few interviews last year one with Walsh and one with Camporeale about MacKay both making pains to tell us that he is one of the best players for following team rules, to the level of sacrificing his own game,
Maybe he's a coach favourite because of this, All coaches need a player who understands there game plan and follows it,
This year it will be different as Pyke wants a bit of independent flair, so maybe he surprises us.

Personally and it on record (not here), I was in favour of trading him a few ago with Vince, his value was higher and there was a couple of good kids floating around in that draft.
This is pretty much what Dean Bailey said about him in his book. Great at following a structure, but the big problem is that when he's required to go out of that structure he lacks the creativity to know what to do. So if that happens a lot during a game. It's probably why he's always touted as such a good trainer.

crows dude

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2005
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
With no injuries at the moment bar JAensch. Otten and Hendo hopefully Ok for Round 1. I am finding it hard to place people in the two teams.

Betts Jenkins Cameron
Lynch Walker Knight
Smith Sloane Seedsman
Lever Talia Hampton
Brown Hartigan Laird
Jacobs B Crouch Douglas
Thompson Grigg Menzel M Crouch

Ramsey Dear Gore
Atkins Otten Milera
Mackay VB Wigg
Hendo Mcgovern Doedee
Shaw Kelly Cheney
O'B Cey Lyons
Inter from Lowden, beech, Greenwood, Hunter, Keath

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
This is pretty much what Dean Bailey said about him in his book. Great at following a structure, but the big problem is that when he's required to go out of that structure he lacks the creativity to know what to do. So if that happens a lot during a game. It's probably why he's always touted as such a good trainer.

Sounds like the definition of a downhill skier. Great when everything is going according to plan but useless when it's not. Fact is he's not a very good footballer. Has some good attributes but struggles to deploy them condistently at the level.

VSTone

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 17, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
the extra tall:
Brown Talia Lever
Smith Hartigan Laird
Sloane BCrouch Knight
Lynch Walker Douglas
Dear Jenkins Betts

Jacobs CEY MCrouch
Hampton Grigg Milera Cameron.

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
My Round 1 side

Good except for Cheney , get Douglas in the mid rotation so play him on bench or half forward and get some more speed on wing

Like the 22 though other than Cheney

Sep 28, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah reckon dmac is the ultimate Neil Craig clone

Great on the track ( I have a theory that under Craig we were better trainers than game day )
ie Craigy could run a drill that follows structure and we could do it for 10 minutes without an error

But as soon as something random happened on game day we struggled to adapt , our training habits were so ingrained they took over but add an opposition into equation and it becomes harder

Dmac is the result of that and it's hard to re program him

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
Ok, I'm looking forward to a faster, dynamic Crow line up.

Unless he's really not up to speed in the NAB then Menzel is easily best 22 on talent. I'm also loving the application of Hampton after his initial groin issues it seems like he's really embraced the pre season workload.

I'd love to see Smith in the midfield, and Sloane be the primary Danger replacement (with B Crouch in behind him).

At this stage Grigg and CEY unlucky but have the pre season to press their claims.

So here it is:

F: Walker - Jenkins - Betts
HF: Cameron - Lynch - Menzel
C: Smith - Sloane - Knight
HB: Laird - Hartigan - Hampton
B: Brown - Talia - Lever
1R: Jacobs - B Crouch - M Crouch
Int: Thompson, Seedsman, Douglas, Atkins

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
Ok, I'm looking forward to a faster, dynamic Crow line up.

Unless he's really not up to speed in the NAB then Menzel is easily best 22 on talent. I'm also loving the application of Hampton after his initial groin issues it seems like he's really embraced the pre season workload.

I'd love to see Smith in the midfield, and Sloane be the primary Danger replacement (with B Crouch in behind him).

At this stage Grigg and CEY unlucky but have the pre season to press their claims.

So here it is:

F: Walker - Jenkins - Betts
HF: Cameron - Lynch - Menzel
C: Smith - Sloane - Knight
HB: Laird - Hartigan - Hampton
B: Brown - Talia - Lever
1R: Jacobs - B Crouch - M Crouch
Int: Thompson, Seedsman, Douglas, Atkins

I don't mind that. Although I don't want Menzel carrying his injury or not being fully fit. I'd be happy for him to play his first SANFL game a few weeks in and hit the AFL a couple of weeks after that. Actually, he doesn't have to play sanfl, but I want him fit and over his complaints before he steps out.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
I don't mind that. Although I don't want Menzel carrying his injury or not being fully fit. I'd be happy for him to play his first SANFL game a few weeks in and hit the AFL a couple of weeks after that. Actually, he doesn't have to play sanfl, but I want him fit and over his complaints before he steps out.
Interesting on that point ....given we've heard how Menzel struggled with Aerobic fitness on runs .....at yesterdays training at the end, when most players did the 400 - 800 repeat runs ....Menzel was out with the first year draftees doing ball to hand skills work

Says to me Menzel is being managed for the longterm, not Round 1 2016

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Go Kelly , he could also push up onto a wing and play on a wells if he was off the leash and follow him all over. More flexible full stop
Really think a player like Kelly has a role in a team now that has plenty of run and skill

simmo97

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.sen.com.au/news/01-16/best-22-and-player-rankings-adelaide#GvG1mp1PH7YGZwyy.97

BEST 22
Backs: Kyle Cheney | Jake Lever | Luke Brown
Half Backs: Rory Laird | Daniel Talia | Brodie Smith
Centres: Paul Seedsman | Scott Thompson | Richard Douglas
Half Forwards: Charlie Cameron | Josh Jenkins | Tom Lynch
Forwards: Troy Menzel | Taylor Walker | Eddie Betts
Rucks: Sam Jacobs | Rory Sloane | Brad Crouch
Interchange: Ricky Henderson | Riley Knight | Curtly Hampton | Matt Crouch

IMPORTANCE RANKINGS
1 Taylor Walker
2 Daniel Talia
3 Sam Jacobs