List Mgmt. 2016 Trade and Free Agency Targets Part 1

Who do you hope we target?

• Daniel Rich - Brisbane Lions (Free Agent)

Votes: 21 7.5%
  • Jaeger O'Meara - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 112 40.1%
  • Dion Prestia - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 53 19.0%
  • Tom Lynch - Gold Coast Suns(Trade)

Votes: 24 8.6%
  • Ollie Wines - Port (Trade)

Votes: 55 19.7%
  • Other

Votes: 65 23.3%
  • Peter Wright - Gold Coast Suns (Trade)

Votes: 23 8.2%
  • Tom Rockliff

Votes: 15 5.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
why did we pick him, knowing he has was a poor kick?

All the perfect players were already taken. Which sort of makes the Tom Lee thing look a bit worse.
But then again there are a lot of "meh" players in that draft.

Picks taken where our original pick was:
Jaksch.
Jesse Lonergan
Aidan Corr
Taylor Garner
Jackson Thurlow

Picks taken immediately after Wright. ( not counting Spencer White or Viney ).
James Stewart
Tim O'Brian
Tom Clurey
Mason Shaw
Kamdyn McIntosh

I wonder if we specifically went after midfielder types rather than best available?
Seems to me there are some pretty handy defenders and forwards among that lot.

Maybe it was Watter's plan to draft players who were ready made.
But then we got Spencer White who probably was worse than all the names above.
Not a successful draft in hindsight.
We still have 5 on the list all of which may be under the pump this season.
Wright, Murdoch, Saunders, Pierce, Lee

So is this a joke or..?

A lot of assumptions going on here, as well as stereotyping.

Not a joke. I make a point of reading up on draftees, as opposed to watching highlight videos, since said videos are effectively the 'photoshop' of the footballing world. From this reading, SP-S elicits a number of warnings based on his upbringing on societal and psychological factors; these are warnings that are applicable to all individuals in all potential aspects of life, not just football.

After watching the video that was linked, I did add the final remark, regarding his hairstyle, largely as a joke. But it did not change the points that were made, which, yes, may be viewed as somewhat stereotypical (with respect to making predictions based on characteristics and circumstances; there are no racial stereotypes as I knew nothing of his background until yesterday) but there is a difference between a stereotype and inferences based on information that draws strong correlations with particular outcomes. Note that I said correlations; it is not at all proof that SP-S will not succeed in the AFL. Rather, it is an indication of potential factors that must be considered, especially since it will be such a large investment made if we were in the position to select him.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, and he forges a successful career, but you cannot ignore the facts when it comes to the higher risks associated with all individuals coming from particular backgrounds and upbringings.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, and he forges a successful career, but you cannot ignore the facts when it comes to the higher risks associated with all individuals coming from particular backgrounds and upbringings.
That's crap!!!

And if you say it again...

...i'll stab ya with these here chopsticks :mad:

HEY... you're talkin to my guy all wrong, it's the wrong tone. do it again, I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron
Christopher Walken, in Joe Dirt. ;)

Because he's awesome at plenty else, and they thought his kicking problem could be easily fixed with a few tweaks. Turns out they were wrong, but hey.

Ok, I admit, I've never played footy, so not sure how these things work....but how do players get so far without knowing how to kick? Surely all the way through juniors and the comps leading up to AFL SOMEONE should be coaching them how to kick properly? It's not like it's an unimportant skill.

All the perfect players were already taken. Which sort of makes the Tom Lee thing look a bit worse.
But then again there are a lot of "meh" players in that draft.

Picks taken where our original pick was:
Jaksch.
Jesse Lonergan
Aidan Corr
Taylor Garner
Jackson Thurlow

Picks taken immediately after Wright. ( not counting Spencer White or Viney ).
James Stewart
Tim O'Brian
Tom Clurey
Mason Shaw
Kamdyn McIntosh

I wonder if we specifically went after midfielder types rather than best available?
Seems to me there are some pretty handy defenders and forwards among that lot.

Maybe it was Watter's plan to draft players who were ready made.
But then we got Spencer White who probably was worse than all the names above.
Not a successful draft in hindsight.
We still have 5 on the list all of which may be under the pump this season.
Wright, Murdoch, Saunders, Pierce, Lee
Garner is the only one out of that list that looks potential quality.

Ok, I admit, I've never played footy, so not sure how these things work....but how do players get so far without knowing how to kick? Surely all the way through juniors and the comps leading up to AFL SOMEONE should be coaching them how to kick properly? It's not like it's an unimportant skill.

Most people can kick a ball adequately standing still and even running slowly with out much pressure. It's usually once match pressure and lack of space hit them that they start to lose accuracy. Some also get very messy as fatigue sets in too. The standard of kicking at AFL level is extremely high, the worst kicks in the AFL would be of a much higher standard than most of us.

Brodie Grundy slipping to 18 hurts a lot in hindsight, Pies got a ripper there. But apart from that the few picks taken after 12/13 aren't that great - even the Pies made a poor call with Kennedy; and Broomhead is far from proven.

Broomhead is a slow burn but I reckon he will be a good player. Kennedy should have been a good player. He was put up in the mini draft as a 17 year old his junior form was so good. He is one that was a let down. I thought Collingwood had recruited very well for a few years. Scharenberg, Freeman and Kennedy have all so far been busts for them and even Brodie Grundy has fallen away somewhat after a very strong first season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most people can kick a ball adequately standing still and even running slowly with out much pressure. It's usually once match pressure and lack of space hit them that they start to lose accuracy. Some also get very messy as fatigue sets in too. The standard of kicking at AFL level is extremely high, the worst kicks in the AFL would be of a much higher standard than most of us.

Thanks for that Gringo, I appreciate the explanation. Oviously the AFL standard is extremely high, but we keep hearing, Wright can't kick, Geary can't kick, CJ can't kick and I just wondered if it was that they weren't taught correctly at junior level, or as you say, the skill goes missing due to pressure and fatigue.
Is it a difficult thing to assess when drafting players, as they would be playing to a very good level at that stage? Seems to me that Hawthorn have very few bad kicks in their sides, so maybe it's the recruiting. Or maybe we recruit players with other exceptional skills and try and make a good kick out of them.
I loved CJ but always had my heart in my mouth when he kicked :p

Thanks for that Gringo, I appreciate the explanation. Oviously the AFL standard is extremely high, but we keep hearing, Wright can't kick, Geary can't kick, CJ can't kick and I just wondered if it was that they weren't taught correctly at junior level, or as you say, the skill goes missing due to pressure and fatigue.
Is it a difficult thing to assess when drafting players, as they would be playing to a very good level at that stage? Seems to me that Hawthorn have very few bad kicks in their sides, so maybe it's the recruiting. Or maybe we recruit players with other exceptional skills and try and make a good kick out of them.
I loved CJ but always had my heart in my mouth when he kicked :p

I'm unsure I have ever seen a player improve their field kicking. They need to be taught young. Hopefully we are getting players who are worst average kicks and hopefully better.

For everyone who was jousting about tall midfielders a month or so ago, it's worth noting that Pat Cripps is apparently now a whopping 194cm!

That's got to be useful inside packs...

For everyone who was jousting about tall midfielders a month or so ago, it's worth noting that Pat Cripps is apparently now a whopping 194cm!

That's got to be useful inside packs...

Jade will easily be able to run through his legs.

Blacres aint far off that, even big seb has some size behind him
Cripps: 194cm 90+kgs

Acres: 190cm 90kg
Ross: 187cm 87kg

There's a fair bit of difference between Cripps and Rossy (7cm and at least 3kg), but you're right, Blacres ain't that far behind.

He's just more of a rangy unit than Cripps, who's a bull.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back