List Mgmt. 2016 Trade Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Medicals will be done to ensure he's good to go, plus he's got this season to prove he's over it. So if a deal is done, you've gotta trust that he's 100%.

Interesting to see, should it get there, where he decides. Playing the eternal optimist, come seasons end we've gotta be a chance. Really strong, young list just about to enter the finals window able to offer a sizeable contract. A lot to play out between now and then, but it's the offseason, so what else have we to do other than prophesise dream trade scenarios that are 9 months away

This is our year to become a destination club. 2-3 more wins and a good showing from our young players and, hopefully, potential recruits will come knocking!

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
Watch the Hawks retire Burgoyne an Gibson at the end of the year an offer omeara a big contract

Would they both be on huge amounts? ... probably enough combined to offer O'Meara squillions and then replace the other list spot in the draft I suppose.

I can't help but think that'd be a bad call for him tho, the Hawthorn bubble will burst sooner rather than later. You just can't have as many pivotal players on the wrong side of 30 as they do, and continue to win flags.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
What shits me about the go home factor bizzo is that it is less than helpful for us. If you are a WA club and some dude misses his mum or something, you are one of two clubs in the region competing for the player if he is interested. If however you are in Melbourne you're up against a gazillion clubs of various ilk, member numbers and financial status - one of which is Hawthorn and their three peat, another is Collingwood and their jobs for the fam on telly ...

I have a virus so will likely spend the day grumbling.

Knees aside, I find the idea of Jaeger O'Meara confusing. The name sounds more like something you would drink then a player you would trade for. "I'll have a Jaeger O'Meara, no ice, make it a double, a scotch egg and two packets of pork scratchings and be quick about it, my good sir"

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
What shits me about the go home factor bizzo is that it is less than helpful for us. If you are a WA club and some dude misses his mum or something, you are one of two clubs in the region competing for the player if he is interested. If however you are in Melbourne you're up against a gazillion clubs of various ilk, member numbers and financial status - one of which is Hawthorn and their three peat, another is Collingwood and their jobs for the fans on telly ...

I have a virus so will likely spend the day grumbling.

Knees aside, I find the idea of Jaeger O'Meara confusing. The name sounds more like something you would drink then a player you would trade for. "I'll have a Jaeger O'Meara, no ice, make it a double, a scotch egg and two packets of pork scratchings and be quick about it, my good sir"

You raise a good point about the beneficiaries of the "go home" factor, not to mention the "I'm traitorous scum" factor, Jeremy Howe for example, who just want to go to the green grass on the other side of the fence. The whole system at present (players selecting where they want to go in spite of Free Agency or contract status) will continue to see the rich getting richer as it were.

Although in the O'Meara scenario, he's actually from WA ... so basically, he just wants the hell out of QLD ... which after the weather up here the last few days, he can't be blamed.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Although in the O'Meara scenario, he's actually from WA ... so basically, he just wants the hell out of QLD ... which after the weather up here the last few days, he can't be blamed.

Just googled some photos of him; has all his teeth and I can't see any tattoos. In retrospect, was never going to fit in in Queensland.

Motion carried
57307.jpg

Bump.

I think it's going to be interesting. The lack of first hurts us in our chase.

Ricky Henderson is RFA and only got a game with Laird's injury...

I think a lot will depend on how the contracts drop. If Watts leaves it'll change our goals.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Bump.

I think it's going to be interesting. The lack of first hurts us in our chase.

Ricky Henderson is RFA and only got a game with Laird's injury...

I think a lot will depend on how the contracts drop. If Watts leaves it'll change our goals.

It will be interesting to see who is available at the end of the year. I'm confident we'll sign up all our important uncontracted players. I wouldn't be surprised if our 2017 first rounder would be on the table for the right player.

Another talk back is what we need most imo

I like Omac but not necessarily next year
Where are we going to get one though? We don't have the assets for Hurley and I doubt he leaves Essendon anyway. Going to the draft will take 2-3 years. In terms of depth defenders, unless you want to go and get Jack Frost there aren't exactly a lot of them floating around.

And honestly...I don't think we do need one.

Key Defenders:
Tom McDonald
Colin Garland
Lynden Dunn
Oscar McDonald

Key Forwards:
Jesse Hogan
Sam Weiderman
Jack Watts

Utilities:
Sam Frost
Cam Pedersen
Liam Hulett

Perhaps a development one, but we just drafted one of those in Hulett.

Personally...I'd like to draft a player or two with a bit of X-factor and see what we can pop up. We have to have 3 players depart. Right now, you're looking at Terlich, Jack Grimes and JKH. We aren't going to have a pick until the mid-20s at the earliest. Either go for some X-factor for some depth in the small forward, or go for an Easton Wood type off half-back.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
We will prioritise all our players first you'd think, lot of guys OOC this year. Hogan is the biggest one, the club will move very quickly after our season is over to get it done. If Jesse says he wants to put the talks off again he can go to Freo a year early (Which I can't see happening at this stage).

Hurley is definitely the priority. Our cap will open up a bit with Dawes either gone or on a significantly reduced wage, yes I know Hogan and the rest will cost a lot but I'm confident we can free up space. Also does Jones qualify for veterans list in 2017?

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Where are we going to get one though? We don't have the assets for Hurley and I doubt he leaves Essendon anyway. Going to the draft will take 2-3 years. In terms of depth defenders, unless you want to go and get Jack Frost there aren't exactly a lot of them floating around.

And honestly...I don't think we do need one.

Key Defenders:
Tom McDonald
Colin Garland
Lynden Dunn
Oscar McDonald

Key Forwards:
Jesse Hogan
Sam Weiderman
Jack Watts

Utilities:
Sam Frost
Cam Pedersen
Liam Hulett

Perhaps a development one, but we just drafted one of those in Hulett.

Personally...I'd like to draft a player or two with a bit of X-factor and see what we can pop up. We have to have 3 players depart. Right now, you're looking at Terlich, Jack Grimes and JKH. We aren't going to have a pick until the mid-20s at the earliest. Either go for some X-factor for some depth in the small forward, or go for an Easton Wood type off half-back.

Aside from key defenders we need outside runners who can use the ball. Those two are the biggest holes currently in our list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back