2016 U-19 World Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

If a batter is not leaving his crease early (ie is obeying the rules with no intention to break them) then trying to trick them into moving out of the crease by holding onto the ball is extremely low. It's like running a batter out after he's been hit in the head and is staggering around. Technically allowed, but a low act.

If at the non-strikers end, don't move out of your crease until you see the ball leave the bowler's hand. This was drummed into me when I first played senior cricket. Leaving your crease before this is done is a conscious decision - which on most occasions is completely different to a batsman staggering around because he's copped a ball to the head. I knew the consequences of what might happen if I left the crease with the ball still in the bowler's hand.

I know he's out. The question is whether he should have been given out.

So as I said, the decision made is not about the "spirit of the game", its about an umpire's call and interpretation when a bowler enters his delivery stride. A greyer rule than the previous rule.

I think there needs to be a change to fix the "spirit of the game" debates. I would like to see a new rule introduced where an attempted mankad is called a no-ball if it is unsuccessful (ie bowler breaks bails at non-striker's end, but non-striker is in). This introduces an appropriate risk/reward balance. At the moment the mankad is the only method of dismissal where there is no risk of giving up runs. There needs to be some disincentive to try it in tight situations like the U19 game. It also seems weird that currently an attempted "mankad" is deemed a legal delivery if it is successful, but not if it isn't. With this rule it is now a delivery either way-a wicket or a no-ball. When this rule is introduced they should also clarify that there will no longer be any checking with the fielding captain in regards to whether they want to uphold the appeal- it will be viewed as a normal method of dismissal.

So anyway the quarter finals are:

Bangladesh vs Nepal
Pakistan vs The Mankads
England vs Sri Lanka
India vs Namibia

Amazingly 3 of the top 4 teams in ODI cricket haven't even made the quarters of the U/19s world cup.

India beat srilanka yesterday , innings wooble at 27 for 2 off 11 overs.
267 in 50 overs.

Sarfaraz 59, Anmolpreet 72

Srilanka 170 ( India dropped 7 catches,@ stumping and 4 clear run out )
India in final

Tomorrow westindies vs bangers
Winner will take India on final

Last edited:
Well westindies will be known as MANKAD forever.i wish they not beat India
In final otherwise BBC will says

MANKAD beat Indians ( MANKAD Bite Rahul Dravid ) MANKAD definition in Indian term = keeda= Germs

Well India beat Namibia very easy with pant hits excellant century and Namibia folded vs Avesh khans pace bowling.yet another 70 odd from sarfaraz.
Sadiq of England with 12 wickets and sarfaraz of India now made 300 plus so far in WC U 19.

Biggest upset was westindies beat feeble Pakistan.W.I batted like 15/15 over game.hitting every ball for 4 and 6.pope,Hetmayar and Joseph ( fast bowler )
Are too much for Pakistan.

Masood was M.o.m but his team lost

England will take Namibia for 5 th spot playoff.namibia winning toss and fields
Winner will ( England I guess ) will take on Pakistan on Friday.

2nd semi underway after bangersU 19 winning toss and bats vs strong WESTINDIES.winners will play vs India of the final on Sunday.

2nd semi underway after bangersU 19 winning toss and bats vs strong WESTINDIES.winners will play vs India of the final on Sunday.

Well tomorrows game for Fitfth place play off will be very interesting coz Burnham of England hits 3 century while mohsin of Pakistan and their late order allrounders can take any challenge,

Too bad they missed in semi
P. Ghosh out bangers 10 for 1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be a terrific achievement for Windies cricket if they win.

It will be a case of the 'mankad' that won a World Cup.

The under 19 Windies side might not have shown great sportsmanship, but I appreciate they'll do anything to win unlike the national side who barely give a **** outside some of the younger players. Good on them if they beat India today.

Really good stuff from Carty and Paul when they looked in trouble during the middle overs. Congratulations Windies!

Don't see the need to be so defeatist.

From their features on cricinfo, of which there have been a few lately, seems there's some very talented cricketers in that bunch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back